Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #86

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember in August 2020 when BM told reporter LS that he had answered all of LE questions and just got one thing wrong?

‘People don’t know the truth’: Suzanne Morphew’s husband breaks silence after three months | FOX21 News Colorado

Barry did admit an inconsistency in one timeline he provided to investigators.

“It was only because I didn’t know the time that I did something, a mechanical thing, to my bobcat,” he said. “I was confused and I just found out my wife was missing, and I was a little bit not in my right mind when they were asking me these questions, but I did the best I could and I answered everything. I never once declined any interview.”

RSMB. This is one point, after all this time, I still don't understand. Can someone explain how this inconsistency is relevant?

Who's DNA was found on the bedsheets in the dryer? Was it male and was it compared to any male who visited there, daughter's boyfriend for example? I believe that would have been the only visiting male there in the short time they lived there. If it is not his or Barry's, then WHO?! I should add, did the nephew stay over??

Last edited:
Who's DNA was found on the bedsheets in the dryer? Was it male and was it compared to any male who visited there, daughter's boyfriend for example? I believe that would have been the only visiting male there in the short time they lived there. If it is not his or Barry's, then WHO?!

Who knows?
TS from Indiana....BM's friend?
TN from Colorado... ... BM's nephew?
Brother-in-laws of BM from Indiana..both of BM's sisters have been in and out of marriages?
Firefighter buddies of BM?
And as you stated, boyfriends' of the two daughters?
When SO visited SM, did her son or husband accompany her?
Many, many possibilities IMHO.

RIP, Suzanne.

From @NoSI's notes -- a refresher on DNA testimony:

CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 #80 *arrest*

OK, last write up for now. This one is all over the place. I hope you gain something from it, I don't know... :oops:

This is my interpretation of what I heard. This information has been
provided for use and discussion at Websleuths only.

Day 4 remainder of morning and afternoon session

Iris Eytan (IE) calls Agent Joseph Cahill/CBI at 10:55 AM.

Agent Cahill confirmed that “numerous DNA samples” were processed. Confirmed that they considered “all DNA”. Confirms that there was unknown DNA in the glove box of SMs RR. IE asks Agent Cahill very detailed questions and Agent Cahill reminds her that “I am not the author of this report”. IE made him confirm that he had not seen the final version of the AA. Agent Cahill confirmed that BM was “excluded from the glove box as a DNA contributor”. IE brings up that there was unknown DNA found on SMs bike. If I remember correctly, Agent Cahill was not aware of this. IE then stated “Did the AA state “edited and reviewed by Joseph Cahill”?” Agent Cahill responded “No it did not”. IE then showed the AA to Agent Cahill and asked him “Does this refresh your memory?” It did not.

IE then states that Agent Cahill is a “adverse witness” and she requested “permission to lead”.

Agent Cahill had to answer how much of the 126-page AA he read. He got to page 19, then sent it back to Commander Walker, as he was going on military leave.

IE “Were you aware of DNA results?” regarding foreign DNA on SMs bike. Agent Cahill “I do not recall”.

IE informed that results indicated foreign DNA on bike “rims” or “brakes”, handlebars. There was reportedly also foreign DNA on the rear seat cushion of SMs RR. BM was reportedly excluded. BM also excluded from bike brakes and handlebars of SMs bike. IE asked if the “task force considered the foreign DNA profiles”.

blue shirt in creek found in May 2021” – Was submitted for examination, no match to BMs DNA.

October 8, 2020 – Glove box DNA forwarded to Combined DNA Index System (CODIS) with the goal to search for a match. Agent Cahill has not reviewed those results. IE points out that it returned 3 matches to unsolved sex assault cases.

October 20, 2020 – IE stated that this is the date Agent Cahill was made aware of the unsolved sex assault cases. Cahill stated that this is incorrect.

May 19, 2021 – Ms. Duce (spelling?), who works in the lab, authored a letter to Agent Cahill. Agent Cahill did not get this letter until it was provided to him by the DA. The letter informed that the glove box DNA contained a “partial DNA profile” based on “limited genetic data”. 3 matches were found.

ever seen this letter?” - IE asked Agent Cahill if he ever saw the “matched profiles from other cases” letter. He stated “No, not prior to receiving it from the DA’s office 2 weeks ago”

- “Tempe, AZ” case: Contacted Tempe officer. IE asked Agent Cahill where the sex assault occurred. He answered “I don’t know”. IE asked “Was it outside of a convenience store?” He answered “Yes”. IE asked “Was there DNA recovered from the woman in Tempe case?” He answered “Yes”. They reportedly had 2 suspects in Tempe case. DEFENSE EXHIBIT 22: Letter from Ms. Duce (spelling?) to CBI investigators. CODIS match to Phoenix, Tempe, Chicago cases. IE asked if it was ever checked if BM was involved in their cases and vice versa. She is concerned that they checked if BM could have committed sex assault in Tempe, but not if suspects in Tempe case could have been involved in SMs case. Partial DNA did not match either suspects in the Tempe case as per Agent Cahill. It went back and forth over if or if not there is scientific data connecting the suspects in Tempe etc. to SMs case. IE eventually stated to Agent Cahill “There is no scientific reason for you to say no match”.

- Match “Phoenix” case: November 19, 2020 letter. Glove box and unsolved sex assault case in Phoenix. Then I wrote “sperm fraction” and “underwear”, but don’t remember what this entailed. IE states that there was no follow-up on CODIS DNA match with Phoenix LE.

- Match “Chicago” case: April 28, 2021. CBI advised Illinois LE of match aka “laboratory report CODIS hit”. May 21, 2021 – Letter. May 21, 2021 – Agent Cahill was made aware, has not seen letter from Ms. Duce (spelling?). Did receive call from CBI Burgess advising of match with Chicago case. Did not investigate. Agent Cahill was on military leave March 8, 2021 – May 10, 2021. D/t this Burgess followed up.

September 3, 2020 – CBI email/letter to/from Holiday Inn. Strong chlorine “pool” smell in Room 225, where BM stayed in. Agent Cahill confirms that he has not seen the letter but “it was discussed” and “don’t remember specific dialogue”.

Iris Eytan (IE) finished with Agent Joseph Cahill/CBI at 11:45 AM.

Prosecution will get 10 minutes prior to lunch with Agent Joseph Cahill/CBI.

Agent Cahill was asked if it is correct that BMs DNA was found on SMs bike seat and in SMs Range Rover. Agent Cahill replied “I have to refer to the report”. The date of the report is June, 8, 2020. DNA on front passenger door, front driver’s door, and backseat pocket?

CODIS” – Is a combined nationwide DNA database including felony offenses. It’s like a big computer/database. Allele/DNA marker discussion.

Lunch until 1:30 PM.

Prosecution with Agent Joseph Cahill/CBI at 1:30 PM.

Cahill’s experience with DNA” – Receives reports from lab to see if present and can be used in investigation. Limited experience collecting DNA via swap. Experience with reading records.

Mark Hurlbert/Prosecution: “What does “match” mean?”, Agent Cahill: “A lead. Result of keyboard search”.

DEFENSE EXHIBIT ZZ – Match in this context? Investigative lead. Could not arrest anyone based on just a match. Limited genetic data and used as lead only. DNA report with general values. No numerical value assigned.

Iris Eytan (IE) re-crosses Agent Joseph Cahill/CBI at 13:51.

Iris Eytan (IE) requests “proof of evidence” today “so Mr. Morphew doesn’t have to continue sitting in jail”.

Judge says not today, has to analyze information, come to right decision, and that he is not a robot.

Recess until 2:30 PM to discuss date/time for next session.

BM looks angry, deflated, head on hand, head on desk, head down. etc.

BMs mother appears to be crying at 2:30 PM.

BM appears to be crying. TN has hand on his back and comforts him.

Court resumes at 2:33 PM.

BM now sitting in between Iris Eytan and Dru Nielsen.

Return on September 17, 2021 at 1:30 PM. File briefs by September 3, 2021. Judge will make decision and the release of the AA will be addressed.

Court in recess at 2:34 PM.

Speaking of WhatsApp, I realized recently that WhatsApp itself can be locked with Face ID on iPhone, just like the overall iPhone.

not sure if this has been discussed before, but might Barry have tried to tranquilize her to use her face to get into WhatsApp and learn more about her suspected affair? He had accused her just days before and was going crazy thinking she’s only leaving him because there’s someone else.

maybe she even died on accident.

Based on Barry's attempts to get SA Grusing to tell him who Suzanne was seeing, I don't think he knew it was JL until he was arrested. He knew she was seeing someone, but she was doing a really good job keeping his identity secret.

Who's DNA was found on the bedsheets in the dryer? Was it male and was it compared to any male who visited there, daughter's boyfriend for example? I believe that would have been the only visiting male there in the short time they lived there. If it is not his or Barry's, then WHO?! I should add, did the nephew stay over??

Nobody.

There was NO DNA on the sheets.

There was DNA on the needle sheeth. Sheeth, not sheet.

I don't think there was any unknown DNA found on the daughter's bedsheets found in the dryer, and the comment by the defense was somehow conflated with the tranquilizer sheet (sheath) located inside the dryer. I think this incorrect comment found legs here too.

In 4 days of tweets and reporting from the prelim hearings, there were no reports about unknown male DNA on MM's sheets, and only that washing her bedsheets was on SM's to-do list found on the kitchen counter. From @NoSI's notes from the hearing:

The 10 reasons why Mr. Morphew is innocent:

1.) The DNA in the glove box of Suzanne’s car was connected to 3 unsolved sex assaults.

2.) The trip to Salida Stove & Spa accounts for the missing 18 miles on Saturday afternoon.

3.) Did anyone ever blame JL? No. JL informed LE that he dropped his phone and got a new one. It was a work phone. Did LE confirm this with JLs employer? No. This was not part of the 180 search warrants that were served and executed.

4.) At first, Prosecution had us believe that BM hacked Suzanne’s phone and sent the friend requests on May 8th. Today this story changed fundamentally …

5.) Mallory’s sheets – Why would Suzanne have washed them? Maybe because this was written on her to-do list?

6.) Needle sheet/tranquilizer cap had SMs DNA on it, not BMs.

7.) BMs hotel room smelled of chlorine? Could that have been related to his room being directly over the indoor pool?

8.) ½ cup of coffee on the kitchen counter – It was established that Suzanne likes to drink coffee every morning. BM does not.

9.) BM searched hundreds of hours for Suzanne. Did he get any credit for this? No, because he can’t win.

10.) Last page of warrant – The AA ends with a “metaphor; an ugly metaphor”.
^^bbm

RSMB. This is one point, after all this time, I still don't understand. Can someone explain how this inconsistency is relevant?
Well it shows that he consistently lied about where he was on Saturday May 9 and where SM was that day. For a month he never said they went hiking , then “ remembered “ it. He stuck with the hike story for another month until they busted him ( they probably had truck info and surveillance film from DSI by then).
When I saw this in the AA I realized what he meant, it wasn’t that he did something to the bobcat, it was the TIMING he lied about.

From page 125/129 of the AA:

“ No hike existed that Saturday afternoon in any of Barry’s multiple interviews with CBI until a June interview when he said they hiked to Fooses Lake.

CBI allowed him to assert that a few times until they refuted the hike in his July interview.

Barry was told that he was driving in Salida that afternoon, asking “Tim Backhoe” to purchase a backhoe attachment for his Bobcat. “

I don't think there was any unknown DNA found on the daughter's bedsheets found in the dryer, and the comment by the defense was somehow conflated with the tranquilizer sheet (sheath) located inside the dryer. I think this incorrect comment found legs here too.

In 4 days of tweets and reporting from the prelim hearings, there were no reports about unknown male DNA on MM's sheets, and only that washing her bedsheets was on SM's to-do list found on the kitchen counter. From @NoSI's notes from the hearing:

^^bbm
Wow Did that get mixed up or what ?! Now I can see why, they sound alike and noone thinks of a sheath being in a dryer! Thanks for clearing that up.

Thank you Seattle 1. So Cahill did not investigate the Chicago match!? No follow up on match in Phoenix. Geez.

There was nothing to follow up on. These are completely useless partial DNA profiles. There are no "matches". All of the DNA talk is smoke and mirrors from the defense.

In all of the unknown DNA in this case it is a minor partial meaning it shares a few strains with an offender in the CODIS database. It's not even worth investigating because it's not even close enough to qualify as a familial match.

And before we start going on about unknown DNA on the needle sheeth, I'm going to go ahead and layout: quality control in the factory, retailer, some of Barry's buddies being horrified at Barry's casual animal cruelty?

Good analysis.
And it fits his wierd obsession about a Bobcat getting her.

MOO I believe her car was blocked in by the truck and trailer.

If she ran around to try and get to her car, only to realize she was trapped, a back and forth chase could definitely happen at the trailer.
Oh wow…that’s it. He leaks the truth.

Well it shows that he consistently lied about where he was on Saturday May 9 and where SM was that day. For a month he never said they went hiking , then “ remembered “ it. He stuck with the hike story for another month until they busted him ( they probably had truck info and surveillance film from DSI by then).
When I saw this in the AA I realized what he meant, it wasn’t that he did something to the bobcat, it was the TIMING he lied about.

From page 125/129 of the AA:

“ No hike existed that Saturday afternoon in any of Barry’s multiple interviews with CBI until a June interview when he said they hiked to Fooses Lake.

CBI allowed him to assert that a few times until they refuted the hike in his July interview.

Barry was told that he was driving in Salida that afternoon, asking “Tim Backhoe” to purchase a backhoe attachment for his Bobcat. “

So, he lied about when he did the "mechanical thing" because it was around the time he was committing murder? Thanks for trying to clear up this sticking point for me!

That's the only one he admits to. You only have to read the AA footnotes to see all of the lies Barry told in his assorted interviews.

My personal favorite:
Barry stated that he traveled on Highway (HWY) 50 to HWY 285. He traveled HWY 285 to E-470, north to 1-76, and then onto US 36. Barry stated that he went directly to the Holiday Inn and checked in. Barry said he went into the room for a short period of time and rested after the drive. Barry explained he then went over to the worksite. 27 All of the statements in this paragraph are later proven false.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89