Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #86

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So in last hearing about GPS and ankle monitor where IE stated the neighbours weren't scared of BM - was that before the fence went up or after ?
It appears to me that BM was asked to leave the property in October for a few days while the fence was erected. Had the fence been erected before the 10/13 hearing, I think it probably would have been mentioned. No evidence of tweets about the fence prior to 10/13. MOO

Tweet from the hearing 10/13/21:

Ashley Franco
@AshleyKKTV

Defense says that Gene Ritter tells her that she is not afraid of #BarryMorphew. She says neighbors have said that prosecutors told them they should be afraid of Barry and should kick him out of the neighborhood. Iris says that neighbors tell her they're not afraid of Barry.

2:48 PM · Oct 13, 2021·

ETA: Reporter CM just replied to an inquiry about the fence:

Carol McKinley@CarolAMcKinley

His attorneys called this a "newfound fear." Sources say that Morphew, 54, did move from his home for three days while the fence was being built. #suzannemorphew

2:35 PM · Nov 8, 2021·

Carol McKinley@CarolAMcKinley

The documents date from May 5,2021 - Nov. 5, 2021. In them are prosecution witness lists, information about how scared the Morphew's neighbors are of #BarryMorphew, who lives nearby even going so far as to request that he move while they build a security fence. (more)

2:34 PM · Nov 8, 2021

Last edited:

Ashley Franco@AshleyKKTV

The judge says on the matter of suppressing documents he believes nothing, in this case, needs to be hidden from the public.
@KKTV11News
#BarryMorphew

4:09 PM · Oct 13, 2021·

The judge advises both sides to re-look at documents and if they need them to be suppressed to make note of that and they will need to file a motion for those. But, judge says he doesn't think that will be an issue because we haven't had an issue thus far. #BarryMorphew

4:12 PM · Oct 13, 2021

ETA: Take note Ashley's live tweets from the hearing 10/13 are contrary to 10/19 article by The Gazette alleging many motions have been suppressed and that as soon as Judge Murphy gives the word, the court clerk will make them public.

Judge in Morphew murder case to release case file

Will they need to be paid for or are they free to download?
Once released, the Motions and Orders from Case File should be available without charge at the 11th Judicial District, "Cases of Interest" public website linked below.

2021CR78 People of the State of Colorado v. Barry Lee Morphew

Colorado Judicial Branch

At 2:07 BM leaves DSI
He texted her 11 times at 2:26. No response from SM.
At 2:31 after getting no responses he texts her again and asks, “Did you leave?”
By now he’s probably boiling mad.
BM texted her at 2:35 and told her he was on the way. So it was no surprise that he was coming.
At 2:39 JL texts SM and says “my gang is home”.
SM never responds.
At 2:43 BM arrives home.
My theory of how it went down: I think when SM got the text at 2:35 that BM was on the way, she had an “oh, sh**t” moment. It might have been then that she saw the 11 missed texts from him. She knew he was going to be mad. She gathered up her things, including the brown towel, ran up to her bedroom and locked the door so she could change out of her bathing suit before he got there.
BM did not know where SM was at that point when he arrived home. Remember, he asked her in a text if she had left. Once he realized her car was still there he began to check the house and patio, probably calling her name. When he got to the mbr, he tried the door and it was locked. He put a shoulder to it and busted in. We’ll probably never know exactly what happened next.
I originally thought BM snuck up on her while she was sunbathing and plunged the needle in her neck. Once I found out she knew he was coming, I never thought he took her by surprise. MOO
Those 30 some minutes of nothing from Suzanne are the most puzzling for me. What exactly was she doing? And why would BM not use that as the point in time that he had not seen her again rather than say he was with her that entire night. Something is not adding up in my mind.

Retrying Case?
They can try him over and over....this was an interesting case of a man tried four times for allegedly murdering his wife who was divorcing him but still living with him in a highly circumstantial case before being acquitted by a judge. Cal Harris Found Not Guilty in 4th Murder Trial Over Wife's Death and this article: Cal Harris Says Acquittal After 4th Murder Trial Was 'Total Relief,' How He and Kids Are Moving Forward
@Momofthreeboys Yes. Can happen, did happen.
Wife, a MisPers in 2001. 3 jury trials. Then 2016 bench trial, not guilty.

From your second link: "Cal Harris said the long legal battle has drained a large portion of his fortune."

Those 30 some minutes of nothing from Suzanne are the most puzzling for me. What exactly was she doing? And why would BM not use that as the point in time that he had not seen her again rather than say he was with her that entire night. Something is not adding up in my mind.
Her taking a shower seems most likely.

At the very least, I imagine she used that time to change out of her bathing suit.

I can't fathom Barry murdering her and then putting it back in the closet.
I don’t think he put it in the closet. She was likely buried in whatever she was wearing at the time. That is a lot of time to shower and throw off a bathing suit in my chaotic world. It takes all of about 15 minutes and usually my phone is within feet of me. JMO.

DNA was in the glove box. We don't know those answers with a certainty.

The year of Suzanne's Range Rover was a 2015. While I could not locate a video about the glove box for that year, I did find one for 2017.

There are actually two boxes. The bottom one is referred to as the normal glove box in this video. Is it the bottom glove box that contains the partial DNA? It looks like it's the bottom one where the owner's manual would be kept.

This host explains how one can lock the RR glove boxes which also protects the owner against others from accessing the owner's contact list and other wifi data on the navigation screen.

Further research revealed there may be a monthly fee to use the wifi in the RR each month, depending upon one's own cellular phone plan. Do we know whether or not Suzanne utilized the wifi feature in her RR?

Wi-Fi Hotspot - InControl - Land Rover

It may be interesting to learn if Suzanne used the valet lock option bc if she did, then it cuts down significantly on the amount of people who could open the glove box(es) in order to leave the partial DNA.

Side Note: When the Usry guy was questioned in the Angie Dodge murder bc his father deposited his own DNA into Ancestry, the real killer turned out to be the Usry guy's 6th cousin.

nice research!

Speaking of documents, this may be of interest to some of us who follow Colorado cases:

https://twitter.com/cofoic/status/1457743510761664530?s=21

Bookmark it. Use it. Share it.

For the first time, CFOIC's sunshine laws guide is online — searchable and indexed by topic — with links to pertinent statutes and case law. Revised, comprehensive and free. bit.ly/3qek8lP #coleg #copolitics #cogov #edcolo #opengov

CFOIC’s new online guide to Colorado's sunshine laws - Colorado Freedom of Information Coalition

He didn’t use that point in time because he had to get rid of the body and some evidence before he could call in the police. If he had nothing to do with her disappearance, you’re absolutely right; he would call the police and say he came home to find his wife missing. The police would come and begin the search. Soon enough LE would know that she was at the home alive until 2:11 and that her phone remained at the home after that, yet it has never been found.
I don’t know what SM did between 2:11 and 2:43:59. She may have continued to sunbath for a while, then got BM’s text that he was on his way and she decided to go up and change. The fact that BM didn’t say this was when his wife disappeared indicates that he wasn’t prepared to report her missing. Yet.
The whole ruse the next day about the Broomfield job was set up so that he wouldn’t be the one that reported her missing. He wanted himself out of the picture. He even hid his face and his name for several days after she went missing.
The only thing that is not adding up in my mind is BM’s story. MOO

Documents released in Barry Morphew murder case reveal behind-the-scenes details

In a motion for sanctions filed Aug. 2, Barry Morphew's attorneys contend that the prosecution knew about the possible suspect and didn't share their findings until after the four-day evidentiary hearings this past August.

In a response dated Aug. 3, District Attorney Linda Stanley admitted that when the alert went out June 2 regarding the discovery of a match between the glovebox profile and a sex offender in Arizona, the investigators assigned to the forensics didn’t do any work on it.

It’s unclear whether the prosecution ever followed up on the DNA lead.

In response to defense allegations that the prosecution is burying them with reams of documents, Stanley wrote that evidence in the case involves a terabyte of discovery that was delivered to Barry Morphew’s attorneys by an investigator on June 22, plus at least 86 DVDs, numerous CD’, flashdrives and external hard drives listed as being delivered since July. “Discovery is an ongoing process and will continue until the conclusion of the case,” Stanley wrote.

The investigation involves numerous hard drives that contain search warrants, witness interviews, DNA reports, cellphone records, surveillance video and telematics, or technology that shows GPS records of where a vehicle has been.

In a motions hearing scheduled for Tuesday afternoon, the defense plans to ask that the case against Barry Morphew, 54, be dismissed based on discovery and pretrial publicity issues.

So in last hearing about GPS and ankle monitor where IE stated the neighbours weren't scared of BM - was that before the fence went up or after ?
BM was released from jail on September 20, 2020.

The October 13, 2020 hearing is where his Defense claimed the R’s aren’t worried about him living so close by.

https://twitter.com/laurenscharftv/status/1448406298756726789?s=21
#BarryMorphews defense asked Mrs. Ritter today if they were afraid of him and she said no. The Ritters are on the no-contact list and live near where Morphew was staying where no GPS was being detected on his ankle-monitor in Maysville.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see these documents to find out when in October this fence business came up. JMO

Documents released in Barry Morphew murder case reveal behind-the-scenes details

In a motion for sanctions filed Aug. 2, Barry Morphew's attorneys contend that the prosecution knew about the possible suspect and didn't share their findings until after the four-day evidentiary hearings this past August.

In a response dated Aug. 3, District Attorney Linda Stanley admitted that when the alert went out June 2 regarding the discovery of a match between the glovebox profile and a sex offender in Arizona, the investigators assigned to the forensics didn’t do any work on it.

It’s unclear whether the prosecution ever followed up on the DNA lead.

In response to defense allegations that the prosecution is burying them with reams of documents, Stanley wrote that evidence in the case involves a terabyte of discovery that was delivered to Barry Morphew’s attorneys by an investigator on June 22, plus at least 86 DVDs, numerous CD’, flashdrives and external hard drives listed as being delivered since July. “Discovery is an ongoing process and will continue until the conclusion of the case,” Stanley wrote.

The investigation involves numerous hard drives that contain search warrants, witness interviews, DNA reports, cellphone records, surveillance video and telematics, or technology that shows GPS records of where a vehicle has been.

In a motions hearing scheduled for Tuesday afternoon, the defense plans to ask that the case against Barry Morphew, 54, be dismissed based on discovery and pretrial publicity issues.

Dismissed? Seriously, tho. Pfft!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member