Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #91

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think JL's time on the stand will be brief. He has already said he and Suzanne made a point not to discuss details of their respective marriages. He can easily prove he was far away when Suzanne disappeared. He can testify about her last known proof of life; their conversation/video chat, whatever. I don't think the defense will want him on the stand for long because he gives BM more motive and JL has an iron clad alibi with receipts, so he can't be an alternative suspect, so they won't want him sticking around.

And I agree, the jurors will view his inactions after finding out Suzanne was missing in a very negative light. It's hard to get over the hump of JL finding out she was missing and doing literally nothing.

MOO
They may not even need him as a witness for prosecution. He didn’t know Barry other than through Suzanne’s lens.

MOO
Barry left Suzanne in their marriage.
She cared where he was, wanted him home more. Instead he joined VFD so in addition to working and extended canned hunts, he added fire training and being on call.
They may not even need him as a witness for prosecution. He didn’t know Barry other than through Suzanne’s lens.
MOO Suzanne's last co tact, beside BM should be a witness for the Jury to hear from.

Anybody know if Bobcats have TWO tracking systems? Telematics to show starts, stops, etc. But what about location? Is that what the SIM card is for?

Did Barry manage to disable the location recorder on the Bobcat? I can only think of one reason why he'd need to do that.

And did he do the same for the truck? How did LE track him to all the dumpster stops, knew of the 18 miles discrepancy but didn't know where he took the truck at 4 am? Well, until he told them.

I still can't reconcile a 12 mile detour for a helmet, positioned 1 mile away...

Did LE ever test the gravel on Barry's trailer? Would it, could it test as consistent with the beach site?

Did Barry return to PP at 2 am on 5/9 with his Bobcat and a load of beach sand/soil?

I'm still side-eyeing the driveway.

If he barried her under there and graded it back, perfect timing prior to selling to add another level of fresh peatrock, to cover any depressions.

JMO

14 mile 'discrepancy'. I think using the word discrepancy is important. I think he probably did toss something else out at the Garfield turn that never got found. Maybe his and GD's "searching" of the Garfield mines was him looking for what he tossed to see if it was still there. The Garfield turn accounts for 10 of the miles.

The other four are his trash dumps in Broomfield. Example Google Map.

(Barry Morphew Interview – March 1, 2021)
[In this interview, Barry again significantly altered his prior statements to adjust to evidence presented to him . He said he turned left on Highway 50 as he left the house on May 10th to see where elk were going, which put him in the direction of Suzanne’s helmet. The admission to SA Harris was the first time Barry admitted to turning left on Highway 50, away from the Broomfield route. This accounts for the missing mileage from his return to trip home from the Broomfield hotel – Barry’s odometer registered a 183-mile trip to the hotel that morning, including about 2 miles of deviations, and a 167-mile trip on the same route home- for an approximate 14 extra miles.]
Barry’s trip to Garfield adds an approximate five miles each way to his morning trip, and places Barry and his vehicle in the direction the helmet was discarded – west from the bicycle. (Page 74 of 129)
For his trip on May 10th, Barry explained his left turn on Highway 50 to explain the truck movement because of a bull elk sighting at 4:30 AM from two miles down the road, a left turn that placed him at the scene of Suzanne’s helmet. (Page 125 of 129)
66 Investigators have driven from the intersection of Highway 225 and Highway 50 to Garfield, a distance of 2.73 miles, an impossible distance to see an elk at or around 4:32AM and follow it in a short period of time. Barry had about 30 minutes to head that way, tum around and head back towards Highway 285. Barry’s truck was seen passing video surveillance on Highway 50 right near the junction with Highway 285 and then again just north on Highway 285 at around 5:14 and 5:16AM.

Bringing this over from the previous thread
Still Missing - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #90
'There's so many things in those text messages, said by Suzanne herself, that many posters have given their opinions about regarding BM from the get-go, such as he was a narcissist, he was abusive, Suzanne did suspect someone else in his life, and so much more that we now know were true, but some posters had a difficult time believing and felt that these things were only our speculation. But now, since it is directly from Suzanne, as shown in her text messages, we now know these things are true after all.'

BBM. Respectfully, we do NOT know that these things are true. What we DO know is that Suzanne said them.

MOO
Barry left Suzanne in their marriage.
She cared where he was, wanted him home more. Instead he joined VFD so in addition to working and extended canned hunts, he added fire training and being on call.

MOO Suzanne's last co tact, beside BM should be a witness for the Jury to hear from.
Only if it helps prosecution will they call him. Anyone they call is open to cross examination. If I were them I would find the most squeaky clean believable person to tell the story of the marriage since that is an easy thing for prosecution to do and a small piece in the overall case they have to prove. They can avoid all the gone girl theories or any doubt about her bolting by NOT calling JL since we haven’t seen her telling anyone else about this in my opinion. Now on the flip side defense could call JL and focus on all that stuff lol. It is going to be a tricky case to prosecute for murder 1 in my opinion.

'There's so many things in those text messages, said by Suzanne herself, that many posters have given their opinions about regarding BM from the get-go, such as he was a narcissist, he was abusive, Suzanne did suspect someone else in his life, and so much more that we now know were true, but some posters had a difficult time believing and felt that these things were only our speculation. But now, since it is directly from Suzanne, as shown in her text messages, we now know these things are true after all.'

BBM. Respectfully, we do NOT know that these things are true. What we DO know is that Suzanne said them.
Yes a very important distinction. And Barry’s words in text and interviews are also public only as much as prosecution has brought to the public which is why it will be interesting to hear those entire conversations and probably why defense wants them heard in their entirety as he most likely will not testify. My guess is there is no need for that after 30 hours of conversation with LE.

Last edited:
I added articles this morning. Done for today, except I need to still label over 50 photos.
However, if you want to see what the pics are, it is in the top line of the description. It is what I label the pics myself before adding so I can label there later.

Photobucket

And--- also for newer people who may be following, it is just a photobucket account, I pay for it, I do not receive any pay for views.
I started doing this "saving stuff" maybe 15 years ago when I first joined WS.
Anyways, don't worry. You may have to wade through an ad or two, but it is a safe place.

I have been accused of crazy things, and been contacted by LE a handful of times. Hehe I may actually be a little nutty.

I think Profiling Evil isolated it to White Pine(s).

I've often wondered if that very spot, days earlier, had fresh elk with a side of corn.

JMO

MOO Old Monarch Pass CR 237 to CR 888 then back to Hwy 50 swings pretty close to Whitepine and would be an ideal route for clandestine night time activity during BMs 3 hour digital gap.

Turning off 50 onto 237 there are points on the lower part of the descent on 237 where there is access to miles of drivable and walkable and practically unused parallel access roads underneath power towers.

MOO it pretty wrong for a judge to let BM have access to that area, a likely place SM's body is located, when the monitoring coverage of his ankle monitor is not reliable.

Only if it helps prosecution will they call him. Anyone they call is open to cross examination. If I were them I would find the most squeaky clean believable person to tell the story of the marriage since that is an easy thing for prosecution to do and a small piece in the overall case they have to prove. They can avoid all the gone girl theories or any doubt about her bolting by NOT calling JL since we haven’t seen her telling anyone else about this in my opinion. Now on the flip side defense could call JL and focus on all that stuff lol. It is going to be a tricky case to prosecute for murder 1 in my opinion.
Agree with your reasoning.
This case is for a prosecution on fire for justice to match the furious and effective doubt E&N can bring with calculated questioning.
Line of questions that produce answers like "I don't knows" etc.
MOO DA needs to buckle down and study the Tom Fallis trial. The exit interviews with the Fallis jury showed that E&N were able to discredit experts by making them look bumbling and damage the credibility of the regular witnesses, all by just getting them to say
"I don't know." to things the jury is led to believe they should know.
MOO DA did not prepare her witnesses properly for the PH IMHO.
If you don't know something in a professional setting, an expert can't just say
"I dont know or I was on vacation" etc.
They need to say anything besides a dead end answer. Something that moves forward and shows confidence.

"Unfortunately, that is a question of detail the technical experts will need to answer."

MOO facts are not going be heard if presented among other statements of uncertainties by witnesses.

Last edited:

If I had a penny for every time that someone said their partner was a narcissist... If I were a juror on this case, I would agree that the texts are only what Suzanne told SO. But I would find them important to know Suzanne, and where her head was. Sure, she edited her life to her best friend because she knew SO would judge her harshly. For me, the texts give me a sense of Suzanne and her life, and she was not happy. I believe she discussed divorce with Barry. There are texts saying she is done. She did tell SO she went back and forth on it. I believe Suzanne when she wonders what the heck she was thinking marrying Barry, and how she had been broken at the time. Throw in trash runs, telematics, last signs of life, a boyfriend with an alibi, the ridiculous Broomfield job, texts and phone calls, Barry’s interviews and story changes based on data he was presented, how can you say it was somebody else?

If I had a penny for every time that someone said their partner was a narcissist... If I were a juror on this case, I would agree that the texts are only what Suzanne told SO. But I would find them important to know Suzanne, and where her head was. Sure, she edited her life to her best friend because she knew SO would judge her harshly. For me, the texts give me a sense of Suzanne and her life, and she was not happy. I believe she discussed divorce with Barry. There are texts saying she is done. She did tell SO she went back and forth on it. I believe Suzanne when she wonders what the heck she was thinking marrying Barry, and how she had been broken at the time. Throw in trash runs, telematics, last signs of life, a boyfriend with an alibi, the ridiculous Broomfield job, texts and phone calls, Barry’s interviews and story changes based on data he was presented, how can you say it was somebody else?
Yes, I agree that they give good insight to where her head was at in regards to her marriage and Barry. But, if the prosecution try and use these, I fear it may backfire badly. If I were the defence, I would use these and the omissons of Suzannes affair, as missiles to destroy the friendship between Suzanne and SO.

Do any of you think that the prosecution should withdraw and start again?

I believe he was arrested in haste and who cares if he was thinking about moving out of state. He can still be arrested. My thinking at that time was they arrested him too soon, should have waited to build their case. Now I’m concerned what we have seen so far is what they have. I believe BM is going to walk. IMO

You know, I didn't initially have the visceral reaction one would expect, I might actually be growing as a person. But as I read his statements and his messages, I kind of hate that guy. He had MONTHS to come forward and didn't. Instead he deleted everything and pretended nothing had happened. I mean WHAT? How can you say you love her and disrespect her in such a horrifying way?! She's missing. He knows she's missing, he can't pretend she ghosted him ten minutes after they were clearly planning (and probably had) a sexy video chat. And he says nothing until the FBI comes calling. How spineless. She's dead out there somewhere and the guy who told her he loved her isn't even looking. The guy who killed her is even pretending to care!

I can't even imagine what the investigation could have potentially uncovered if this guy had stepped up earlier.
Hey @NatureLover , while you're around, do you have any idea where AM took this pic?

05.to.09.barrys.spot.JPG

Photobucket
Proof that even Barry gets tired of his BS.

Finally a shout out to @AmandaReckonwith, you do a fantastic job, we are all grateful!

Why?

This case was as good as it was going to get, and there is a mountain of circumstantial evidence against Barry.
To answer you question, IMO the prosecution should group and make the presentation of their evidence more fluid and relevant. In my mind< I am comparing the hearing back in August with the Daybell hearing. Granted, we were not given the same access (no web coverage), so it could be the reporting of the hearing and the subsequent evidence released, that is making me feel this way.

IMO unless there is a major change in the prosection team, and an experienced prosecutor is bought in to lead, Barry will not be found guilty.

I believe he was arrested in haste and who cares if he was thinking about moving out of state. He can still be arrested. My thinking at that time was they arrested him too soon, should have waited to build their case. Now I’m concerned what we have seen so far is what they have. I believe BM is going to walk. IMO
I agree. That is why I was wondering what posters views were on whether the prosecution should start again.

Past Affairs in IN? Admissible?
Bringing this part of post by @Kemug from thread #90:
"If, as seems likely, Barry was having affairs back in Indiana....
.... highly unlikely to arise, unless they have something meaningful to add, eg something BM said, or if his honesty and integrity is being questioned....
." @Kemug bbm sbm
Who would offer evidence of BM's (hypo) affairs?
Offer to prove what?
Would judge rule such evd admissible? IDK.

To show BM's integrity? Or lack thereof? Some jurors may see BM's (hypo) affair(s) as showing lack of integrity, while others may see extramarital affairs differently, as in, well, boys-will-be-boys.

To show BM's honesty? Or lack thereof? Prosecution has many stmts BM made to LE & others, which are clearly admissible to offer to prove Liar-Liar-Pants-on-Fire. And many of those stmts were recorded.

Unless "something BM said" is equivalent to I'm going to kill SM, I'm not sure how useful something he said would be. my2ct.
------------------------------------------------
Zilch chance of coming forward?
Someone may have provided info of affair(s?) in IN to LE, who may have then communicated w the other woman(en?), who did not come forward of her(their?) own volition.

You know, I didn't initially have the visceral reaction one would expect, I might actually be growing as a person. But as I read his statements and his messages, I kind of hate that guy. He had MONTHS to come forward and didn't. Instead he deleted everything and pretended nothing had happened. I mean WHAT? How can you say you love her and disrespect her in such a horrifying way?! She's missing. He knows she's missing, he can't pretend she ghosted him ten minutes after they were clearly planning (and probably had) a sexy video chat. And he says nothing until the FBI comes calling. How spineless. She's dead out there somewhere and the guy who told her he loved her isn't even looking. The guy who killed her is even pretending to care!
I think his inaction is and was very telling. You get JL on the stand and he will want to save his own skin. It was just casual etc etc and the inference will be that he was not the only one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevHill