Still Missing CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #98

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Defense would say Was she missing for 13 hours? That is the time span that is being speculated. It could be much greater than 13 hours. From her last image to whenever the Ritters went to the house I think would be more accurate. Prosecution is running on the assumption it was Barry and that is the assumption it is the 13 hours.
I would say that the Prosecution isn’t “running on the assumption it was Barry”, rather, prosecution determined after a thorough investigation by three agencies of LE and audit of said investigation, that the evidence/totality thereof led to noone other than BM responsible for SM’s demise.

To believe SM was alive after BM left for Broomfield, one would have to believe that SM went for a bike ride with a powered down phone in a location she normally didn’t ride and didn’t take the things she normally took with her on her rides. BM wants everyone to believe this nonsense and that he couldn’t possibly be responsible because he had an ‘alibi’- I was out of town over one hundred miles away ‘working’ when my wife went ‘missing’. It was all a ruse, aka BM’s staging and false narrative. Unfortunately some people fall for all of it (which makes his lawyers extremely happy), despite the fact there is not one plausible scenario anyone can present for someone else being responsible and explain all the damning evidence against BM nor account for all his (provable) lies and absolute bizarre behavior/actions/non-action in the aftermath of his wife of three decades suddenly vanishing off the face of the earth.

IMO, BM does not have an alibi because SM was not alive/did not go missing from a bike ride on Sunday 5/10/20 while he was away “working”, because she was murdered the day before, 5/9/20, after BM arrived home and in his presence when she stopped communicating with the world and all those she loved dearly.

I’ve read somewhere on here about the approximate 30 minute gap between SM sending her last message to JL at 2:11pm letting him know she was going on WA and BM arriving home, that perhaps something happened to her during that gap which is bizarre and nonsensical since BM would’ve come home and noticed her dead and/or missing and reported it if something had happened to her in the 30 minute gap between sending the 2:11pm message to JL and BM arriving home. It’s moot point anyways because BM admits being alone with SM after arriving home at 2:44pm and enjoying a perfect night together. As if. At any rate, SM could’ve been doing anything in that 30 minute gap, we might never know exactly what she was doing but IMO, JL didn’t respond to her right away after she sent the I’m on WA message at 2:11pm for whatever reason (wife and children came home, got distracted with something else, or, or, or, etc.), and SM might have either fallen asleep where she was sunbathing while waiting for JL to respond and got woken up by a dart piercing her, grabbed her towel as chase/hunt ensued, and/or after sending the WA message to JL, decided to go inside to master bedroom, locked the door to get ready to video with JL, or maybe to take a shower and BM ran around looking for her when he noticed she wasn’t out on the patio, busted the bedroom door to get to her, struggle ensued (fingernail scratches on BM’s arm) and he stabbed her/injected tranquilizer and strangled her to death. Whether he shot her outside with the dart or she was already in bedroom and he broke the door to get to her, I do believe that ultimately a struggle took place in the bedroom and Suzanne fought for her life before becoming completely unconscious and ultimately killed.

The only thing BM got right was concealed/hid SM very well but he shouldn’t be allowed to get away with murder because he had the means to get rid of a body so that it would never be found. BM needs to be held accountable and pay for what he did. I believe the prosecution will be able to prove at trial that BM does not have an alibi because SM was not alive/did not go missing on 5/10/20. That BM staged everything to appear as though SM was alive after he left for Broomfield and disappeared from a bike ride. And the reason he did all the staging and lying is because he was trying to cover up for having murdered SM the day before on 5/9/20 when she was last in his presence alive and suddenly stopped communicating with the world and everyone she loved. There will be much more presented at trial by the prosecution to help back up and prove their case, digital evidence, truck telematics, 30 plus hours of BM interviews with LE, BM’s provable lies, witness testimony, and likely some stuff that none of us even know about yet. They just need to present everything in a methodical and concise manner in a way the jury can understand, and hopefully a critically thinking, logical, reasonable jury is seated and sees it the same way most of us do.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

ETA-clarity

Last edited:
Remember according to Barry, they turned their phones off and had a perfect night. Steak dinner shared on a single plate, maybe a walk, sex, and sleeping. He woke and left her naked in the bed at 5am. Admits to being the last person to see her alive.
Right, their 2 young daughters are out of state on a road trip, and both parents turn off their phones. Would any parents do that?

This really highlights the issues with another person doing this. No matter who the other person is we try to run a scenario for, it still does not explain Barry's actions and lies.

I am confident they have Sheila's husband solidly in Indiana the entire weekend and there was no need to do more with that. I'd love to know when Sheila and him visiting the Morphews last. His dna would be in the house easily if they ever visited them.

Even if Sheila and her husband ever sent Suzanne a Get Well gift or card, his touch DNA could be in the Puma home.He could have taken the package to the post office and been the last to touch it.Or he helped pick out the gift or the card and signed it.

Besides that, he probably visited her at her home as well.

Last edited:
Was there ever talk of BM or maybe SM even putting their phones in airplane mode to conserve battery life at home, and in other areas where service was poor? I kind of recall this being said at some point. IMO

It would be longer than 13 hours…it would stretch from her last image sent to the time the house was entered as unverifiable time period.
For the defense it would be longer than 13 hours? Are they going to claim their defendant was lying about the last time he saw her alive?

Last edited:
The Defense Motions and exhibits that have been reported on in the media the past couple of days have finally been uploaded to the Court site today March 25, 2022.
They are listed under the date they were filed- March 8, 2022.

Colorado Judicial Branch

As I’ve mentioned before, I have never seen this weird pattern of documents not being accessible to the Public in a timely fashion in ANY Colorado Court case. Ever.

I think these latest Motions referencing texts and emails and LE notes from 2020, very early in the case are the Defense trying to confuse and inflame public opinion .
I hate to say that it seems to be working.
I woke up today and as I had my coffee I checked Twitter for the latest on BM like I usually do.
The first 3 search results were stories about the latest Motions by the Daily Mail, the NY Daily News and Crime Online.
I didn’t click on any of them, but thought Well that’s when you know there’s some wild accusations being made.
Headline grabbing stuff that’s easily misconstrued.
JMO

Ugh, I haven’t given up on Justice being done.
But might have to step away for awhile.
As I type this, I turned on my television to Dateline and it’s an unrelated case I’ve never heard of. I head a woman say “ It was never about the truth, it was about them winning the case”.
Sorry for rambling.

We know from Judge Murphy that he did not believe there was any reason to withhold court docs on file from the public and we expected months of motions previously filed by the parties (incorrectly marked as "suppressed") to be uploaded to the public court site but it never happened (albeit MSM eventually provided us access via three sets of document dumps). We also know that the court clerk can't upload without the originator changing the status.

In other words, IMO, the defense is in total control of what the public is seeing on the court site and why the subject motion that was previously released by the defense (first in draft form with attached exhibits) has now been uploaded with Estamp to the public court site.

As to @Cindizzi's reference to Dateline and “ It was never about the truth, it was about them winning the case,” I had a similar experience recently with ABC's 20/20 and a story dating back to a 1985 murder in Texas!

MOO

It’s Mother’s Day here today. My son has come home for the weekend. My husband brought me coffee in bed Even the dog has brought me presents (clever boy that he is).

This, for me, is how it should be. I find myself thinking about Suzanne and feeling so sad for her.

Justice is coming, Suzanne.
Happy Mother's Day!

..."looking objectively at what is left of the cases' circumstantial evidence?"

What has changed?

Also, to believe Barry is innocent, one has to have a logical explanation for multiple pieces of damning evidence.

Can you please give me a coherent and plausible reason why Barry would tell the Ritters he was "at the wall, with workers present?"

And why he would repeat the lie about being at the wall when he got that phone call, multiple times?

All these lies need to be explained away, and that is an unequivocal one.
I would say that the Prosecution isn’t “running on the assumption it was Barry”, rather, prosecution determined after a thorough investigation by three agencies of LE and audit of said investigation, that the evidence/totality thereof led to noone other than BM responsible for SM’s demise.

To believe SM was alive after BM left for Broomfield, one would have to believe that SM went for a bike ride with a powered down phone in a location she normally didn’t ride and didn’t take the things she normally took with her on her rides. BM wants everyone to believe this nonsense and that he couldn’t possibly be responsible because he had an ‘alibi’- I was out of town over one hundred miles away ‘working’ when my wife went ‘missing’. It was all a ruse, aka BM’s staging and false narrative. Unfortunately some people fall for all of it (which makes his lawyers extremely happy), despite the fact there is not one plausible scenario anyone can present for someone else being responsible and explain all the damning evidence against BM nor account for all his (provable) lies and absolute bizarre behavior/actions/non-action in the aftermath of his wife of three decades suddenly vanishing off the face of the earth.

IMO, BM does not have an alibi because SM was not alive/did not go missing from a bike ride on Sunday 5/10/20 while he was away “working”, because she was murdered the day before, 5/9/20, after BM arrived home and in his presence when she stopped communicating with the world and all those she loved dearly.

I’ve read somewhere on here about the approximate 30 minute gap between SM sending her last message to JL at 2:11pm letting him know she was going on WA and BM arriving home, that perhaps something happened to her during that gap which is bizarre and nonsensical since BM would’ve come home and noticed her dead and/or missing and reported it if something had happened to her in the 30 minute gap between sending the 2:11pm message to JL and BM arriving home. It’s moot point anyways because BM admits being alone with SM after arriving home at 2:44pm and enjoying a perfect night together. As if. At any rate, SM could’ve been doing anything in that 30 minute gap, we might never know exactly what she was doing but IMO, JL didn’t respond to her right away after she sent the I’m on WA message at 2:11pm for whatever reason (wife and children came home, got distracted with something else, or, or, or, etc.), and SM might have either fallen asleep where she was sunbathing while waiting for JL to respond and got woken up by a dart piercing her, grabbed her towel as chase/hunt ensued, and/or after sending the WA message to JL, decided to go inside to master bedroom, locked the door to get ready to video with JL, or maybe to take a shower and BM ran around looking for her when he noticed she wasn’t out on the patio, busted the bedroom door to get to her, struggle ensued (fingernail scratches on BM’s arm) and he stabbed her/injected tranquilizer and strangled her to death. Whether he shot her outside with the dart or she was already in bedroom and he broke the door to get to her, I do believe that ultimately a struggle took place in the bedroom and Suzanne fought for her life before becoming completely unconscious and ultimately killed.

The only thing BM got right was concealed/hid SM very well but he shouldn’t be allowed to get away with murder because he had the means to get rid of a body so that it would never be found. BM needs to be held accountable and pay for what he did. I believe the prosecution will be able to prove at trial that BM does not have an alibi because SM was not alive/did not go missing on 5/10/20. That BM staged everything to appear as though SM was alive after he left for Broomfield and disappeared from a bike ride. And the reason he did all the staging and lying is because he was trying to cover up for having murdered SM the day before on 5/9/20 when she was last in his presence alive and suddenly stopped communicating with the world and everyone she loved. There will be much more presented at trial by the prosecution to help back up and prove their case, digital evidence, truck telematics, 30 plus hours of BM interviews with LE, BM’s provable lies, witness testimony, and likely some stuff that none of us even know about yet. They just need to present everything in a methodical and concise manner in a way the jury can understand, and hopefully a critically thinking, logical, reasonable jury is seated and sees it the same way most of us do.

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

ETA-clarity
if prosecution gets it together without losing much more of their case they might get by. I am still not convinced of the tranquilizer theory so very interested in how they handle that. I also can’t get on board with the tampering charge…I have always thought others were involved in the disappearance. I don’t think there was premeditation beyond the moment. I think CBI spent too much time on Indiana tips from disgruntled people who enjoyed telling their stories and not enough time looking closer to home especially because they knew characterization is rarely allowed but that is a dead end now since we are at trial so it is what it is. I don’t think Barry tossed the helmet on the way to Broomfield unless the telematics show something happening with a driver door or driver window. I also need to know if the bike was 95 feet or however many feet his truck moved or possible he walked or road the bike but that is lacking in back up info so purely speculative. I also think that they were both emotionally manipulative and physically aggressive and I suspect the girls sense that or suspect but the DAs walked softly with what they knew. Barry admitted it was embarrassing to him and given his macho tendencies I tend to believe that piece of all this.

if prosecution gets it together without losing much more of their case they might get by. I am still not convinced of the tranquilizer theory so very interested in how they handle that. I also can’t get on board with the tampering charge…I have always thought others were involved in the disappearance. I don’t think there was premeditation beyond the moment. I think CBI spent too much time on Indiana tips from disgruntled people who enjoyed telling their stories and not enough time looking closer to home especially because they knew characterization is rarely allowed but that is a dead end now since we are at trial so it is what it is. I don’t think Barry tossed the helmet on the way to Broomfield unless the telematics show something happening with a driver door or driver window. I also need to know if the bike was 95 feet or however many feet his truck moved or possible he walked or road the bike but that is lacking in back up info so purely speculative. I also think that they were both emotionally manipulative and physically aggressive and I suspect the girls sense that or suspect but the DAs walked softly with what they knew. Barry admitted it was embarrassing to him and given his macho tendencies I tend to believe that piece of all this.

Judge Murphy was convinced that Barry dumped the helmet, as that Elk story is absolutely lunacy. Especially when you factor in that it took Barry 10 months to recall this vivid detail, which came in response to Harris alluding to telematic evidence.

Barry's truck telematics aren't going to say he rolled down the window, because apparently they didn't start recording until later. We obviously know the truck was on the road though, as it didn't levitate to Broomfield.

Judge Murphy was convinced that Barry dumped the helmet, as that Elk story is absolutely lunacy. Especially when you factor in that it took Barry 10 months to recall this vivid detail, which came in response to Harris alluding to telematic evidence.

Barry's truck telematics aren't going to say he rolled down the window, because apparently they didn't start recording until later. We obviously know the truck was on the road though, as it didn't levitate to Broomfield.
Those are minor weaknesses in my opinion. Probable cause doesn’t necessarily mean the same as beyond a reasonable doubt. I think the minor weaknesses might not be important but I am not the jury nor have a heard much cross examination so must wait for trial.

But I must say, again, it's undeniable that Linda Stanley's decisions in this case have contributed to these problems. She gave the defense sticks to beat the prosecution with by: filing before the case had been properly organized and planned; failing (twice) to assure that the was properly edited to AA to remove evidence that was clearly unfairly prejudicial and inadmissible and that contributed to prejudgement of the case by those who read it; and by holding a press conference in which she announced that BM had asked for a lawyer after his arrest and was no longer speaking to investigators. These were all decisions that subordinates would not have made without consulting her. Given her interest in appearing aggressive to her constituents and her less than stellar professional history, I am not surprised by these missteps.
^^rsbbm

I disagree with Judge Lama's (and OP's) characterization of the presser on about May 6, which is linked in its entirety below.

While it's also clear OP has a negative opinion of DA Stanley, I believe relying on Judge Lama here is an unfortunate mistake.

Facts matter. I recommend all with doubt should relisten to the entire presser.

In the limited words by DA Stanley, she first emphasized that BM was presumed innocent and that SM is the victim here. Other statements were direct replies to attending reporters questions-- without commentary. Total sneak attack move by the defense with this one (and Judge Lama bought it-- hook, line, and sinker)!

From thread #91 -- I think @Tumbleweed said it best:

BBM above. Agree 100%.

The problem is that it did seem to stick with the judge. From the judge's order regarding Change of Venue he writes:

upload_2022-2-2_10-21-28-png.332315

I have multiple issues with his statement. (If I am wrong, please correct me.)

First, the pre-trial publicity order didn't go into effect until June 3, 2021. The press conference was held the day Barry was arrested, on May 6th. So how could she violate an order that wasn't in effect yet? But here he is saying she did the press conference in spite of the order. Just wrong.

Second, he says that DA Stanley told media that "he was not talking and requested a lawyer." Actually, she was very measured and appropriate in her response to being asked if Barry was answering questions or saying where Suzanne's body is. She answers, "He was taken into custody and he, when asked questions, he said he wanted a lawyer, so all questioning ended." Maybe it is subtle, but saying that when Barry requested a lawyer, LE stopped questioning him (which is the only appropriate response LE could make), is different than saying "he was not talking and requested a lawyer". "He was not talking" has a negative connotation to it, IMO. Which brings me to my third point.

IMO, the wording that he used was taken directly from Defense's motion for Change of Venue. It just sounds like them, doesn't it? If the judge is just going to be taking the defense lawyers at their word , and the prosecution is not able to point out their BS to the judge, I am very concerned about Suzanne seeing any justice here.

Still Missing - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #91

Last edited:
Even if Sheila and her husband ever sent Suzanne a Get Well gift or card, his touch DNA could be in the Puma home.He could have taken the package to the post office and been the last to touch it.Or he helped pick out the gift or the card and signed it.

Besides that, he probably visited her at her home as well.
I don’t know much about touch DNA or how long it stays on objects. But now that you mentioned the possibility of SO’s husband touching a card or something that was mailed to SM, it reminded me that SM had placed a piece of paper inside her helmet with her emergency contacts written on it.
If she had used paper cut from an envelope or card ,would touch DNA from anyone who had touched the paper then transfer to her helmet?
Might sound far fetched, I’m just spit balling here

Might explain how someone who hadn’t been to Puma Path recently could have their touch DNA show up?

IIRC SM’s bike was a fairly recent purchase ( April?) so I would imagine that the helmet was acquired around the same time.
JMO

https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...est/21CR78/People Exhibits Prelim Hearing.pdf

Attachments

• 8DE236AF-8FFC-47FA-8947-06F3585272F5.jpeg
    8DE236AF-8FFC-47FA-8947-06F3585272F5.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 17
IMO Murphy conscientiously studied the AA but had no authority to redact it when it was submitted to him signed by LE.

What he signed was the arrest WARRANT, not the AA. The AA was sufficient for that purpose.

In light of the new records disclosure rule, CRCrP 55.1, he tried to create a redaction process, affording the DA and the defense an opportunity to advise him so that he could issue the explanatory order required by the new rule. Neither the DA nor the defense offered meaningful input IMO. The DA whiffed on the opportunity to avoid a change of venue issue, and the defense wanted anything probative suppressed.

But I still have no good answer why Judge M, who seemed so conscientious, knowledgeable, and strategic in his other actions, failed to make the redactions on his own before releasing the AA. As I have said, I speculate he thought he could make the issue go away in the jury selection process. Maybe also, redaction on his own would consume time that he didn't have and/or create issues he wanted to avoid. Not satisfactory IMO, but it's a rational explanation.

To be clear, the prosecution again deferred to the Court for release of the AA, in the form the Court deemed appropriate.

However, the defense did not offer any redactions to the AA prior to release but instead wrote their own version of the AA, and then had the audacity to request the Court substitute the defense's version for public consumption -- most likely withholding and/or misstating the facts, per their usual tactic!

As expected, without haste, Judge Murphy denied even the idea of the defense substituting their own version of the AA. MOO

ETA: A friendly reminder that the jurors will never see the AA, redacted, or any form of the document. Its purpose was only to support the arrest affidavit and will not be entered as evidence for trial.

Last edited:

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

ETA-clarity
If Barry had murdered Suzanne late Saturday night/Sunday morning, he could have a decent shot at a not guilty verdict. If Suzanne stopped communication when she went to bed Saturday night, and was never heard from again while Barry was off in Broomfield, maybe a second suspect would be plausible. But when you place Barry at the home, through all kinds of digital data and Barry’s own statements, when Suzanne stopped all communication with the world, for a full day, no. I want to know if there is one stretch of time in all of Suzanne’s Colorado days, where she did not in some way leave a digital trace. Barry’s Saturday scenario is absurd. Couple that with a hastily planned trip, to spend time in a hotel room and driving around dumping trash and basically making a half-*advertiser censored**ed attempt at looking like you are trying to reach your wife. Then ask a neighbor to report her missing, ignore a couple of LE phone calls, and still don’t try to reach your missing wife while you’re driving. Well maybe try once. Puhleeze.

^^rsbbm

I disagree with Judge Lama's (and OP's) characterization of the presser on about May 6, which is linked in its entirety below.

While it's also clear OP has a negative opinion of DA Stanley, I believe relying on Judge Lama here is an unfortunate mistake.

Facts matter. I recommend all with doubt should relisten to the entire presser.

In the limited words by DA Stanley, she first emphasized that BM was presumed innocent and that SM is the victim here. Other statements were direct replies to attending reporters questions-- without commentary. Total sneak attack move by the defense with this one (and Judge Lama bought it-- hook, line, and sinker)!

From thread #91 -- I think @Tumbleweed said it best:

BBM above. Agree 100%.

The problem is that it did seem to stick with the judge. From the judge's order regarding Change of Venue he writes:

upload_2022-2-2_10-21-28-png.332315

I have multiple issues with his statement. (If I am wrong, please correct me.)

First, the pre-trial publicity order didn't go into effect until June 3, 2021. The press conference was held the day Barry was arrested, on May 6th. So how could she violate an order that wasn't in effect yet? But here he is saying she did the press conference in spite of the order. Just wrong.

Second, he says that DA Stanley told media that "he was not talking and requested a lawyer." Actually, she was very measured and appropriate in her response to being asked if Barry was answering questions or saying where Suzanne's body is. She answers, "He was taken into custody and he, when asked questions, he said he wanted a lawyer, so all questioning ended." Maybe it is subtle, but saying that when Barry requested a lawyer, LE stopped questioning him (which is the only appropriate response LE could make), is different than saying "he was not talking and requested a lawyer". "He was not talking" has a negative connotation to it, IMO. Which brings me to my third point.

IMO, the wording that he used was taken directly from Defense's motion for Change of Venue. It just sounds like them, doesn't it? If the judge is just going to be taking the defense lawyers at their word , and the prosecution is not able to point out their BS to the judge, I am very concerned about Suzanne seeing any justice here.

Still Missing - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *arrest* #91
I wholeheartedly agree.
Judge Lama totally misconstrued DA Stanley’s comment in the Press conference. A reporter asked if LE had been able to interview BM since his arrest and was he cooperating and did he tell them where SM body was.
Stanley said BM asked for a lawyer and all questioning ended.
Perfectly measured response to that question.

At 13:20

It’s Mother’s Day here today. My son has come home for the weekend. My husband brought me coffee in bed Even the dog has brought me presents (clever boy that he is).

This, for me, is how it should be. I find myself thinking about Suzanne and feeling so sad for her.

Justice is coming, Suzanne.

Nice!

Hope you had a good one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads