Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o Prejudice* #101

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The last case I specifically recall in which there was a settlement between a murder defendant and prosecutors in Colorado was in the Peggy Hettrick murder (Ft. Collins, 1987). But what kicked it all off in terms of civil consequences and career issues was DNA evidence showing that the defendant, who was convicted and sentenced to LWOP, could not have committed the crime. There are probably other cases since I left CO, but I suspect they involve similar circumstances - complete exoneration. BM's situation could not be more different IMO.

I have always believed your skepticism was honest and appropriate, even though we often disagree. But respectfully, I would point out that we almost never hear more than one side on the merits of the case. We have, in fact, heard more from BM on substance and IE on procedure in this case than we hear in most cases. In fact, BM's ineffectual effort to explain away the damning evidence is largely responsible for both the decision to charge him and the public perception that he's guilty. MOO.

Like others, "cringe" was the first word that came to my mind today as I watched the "interview". Robotic, fake, staged, cringe, sad. Pretty much in that order.
And FWIW, the new forum look is kinda cool. :cool:
Surreal also comes to mind when adding this interview to the totality of this case--starting with the how, when and why Suzanne went missing while spending Mother's Day alone...the evidence couldn't have existed without the stage setup but the pieces to the puzzle still aren't clear to me.

Without sounding too crass--Barry's daughters seem to have taken on the role of caring and comforting young mothers to Barry's personae of the persecuted and misunderstood son. The oddness of the power dynamics between them seems really strange to me.
Spousification of a child, also termed parentification, refers to a dynamic in which parents turn to children for emotional support while ignoring the child's developmental needs.

That video makes me ill.
I agree, it also made me angry! But in the interest of preserving my membership here, I'll refrain from saying more.

When it came to Iris, all I could think - she going to try and recoup the money he spent on Attorney's fees. Gross, it's just disgusting what has/is happening in this case. I feel for Melinda and Andy.

Perhaps someday there will be some evidence that will affirm your opinion on "who done it" and the case will be brought to trial again but until then it's over unfortunately. I don't think we'd be in this place where the DA can say what she says using this particular case as an example if prosecution would have pulled the case together before they got the arrest warrant issued. In my opinion some of the anger is displaced and most people should want accountability from their local law enforcement and prosecuting attorneys. If Iris can get attention to that issue using this case or any case I can't be upset. Her points about what wealthy defendants can do to defend themselves vs. indigent or less wealthy defendants is spot on.

Good point. Like her or not but IE's cause is a good one. This prosecution came up against a middle class white man with access to good, on-the-ball private defenders, imagine what happens on a more frequent basis to those with less resources relying on overburdened public defenders or to racial minorities.

yes, the possible reversal of child and adult roles in their family might be key to how things are today...
IMO, BM is an equal opportunity exploiter in the service of enriching himself.

Sells himself as a good guy for providing work to "meth heads" and "convicts who spent years in prison," but then points to them as potential suspects or liars (when he isn't outright intimidating them) when his wife seemingly evaporates into thin air in the 16 hours she was last alone with him.

Inappropriately touches his wife's friend and tries to pass it off as somehow honoring SM.

Lies repeatedly to the investigators searching for SM and seeking the truth about what happened to her.

Places wildlife as the object in every not-credible-scenario explaining his weird movements in the 24 hours between when he dropped MG off after their Saturday morning of work and when he headed to Broomfield early Sunday morning.

And now, using his just barely adult daughters as a shield and a pedestal.

Sickening excuse of a man, husband, hunter, and father.

Sells himself as a good guy for providing work to "meth heads" and "convicts who spent years in prison," but then points to them as potential suspects or liars (when he isn't outright intimidating them) when his wife seemingly evaporates into thin air in the 16 hours she was last alone with him.

Inappropriately touches his wife's friend and tries to pass it off as somehow honoring SM.

Lies repeatedly to the investigators searching for SM and seeking the truth about what happened to her.

Places wildlife as the object in every not-credible-scenario explaining his weird movements in the 24 hours between when he dropped MG off after their Saturday morning of work and when he headed to Broomfield early Sunday morning.

And uses the Bible to justify his behavior to himself and others...

Has this family dynamic always existed, or does this happen when the children reach a certain age? Is the babying behavior something learned or a survival tool? Truly curious.

My thoughts on the ”video.”

Smiles and chuckles in and out of the court room, whimpering and close to tears in the interview. Quite a contrast! Great tactic for garnering sympathy from the audience that are not familiar with the evidence.

They need time to heal. Nice. Too bad their mother can’t heal. She is dead. That’s quite a snow job he’s done on them. They think they know him. I think Suzanne protected them from knowing what kind of man he really was/is. Unfortunately, I also think they are pretty much incapable of seeing the truth of what happened. I don’t believe these girls will ever question him. They are wholly blinded and do not understand that they are under his narcissistic spell.

I’m surprised they didn’t invite Shona to participate so she could tell everyone how she saw a “strange” vehicle in the neighbourhood around the time SM went missing. No doubt she has spun that tale for the girls repeatedly. I guess that’s why they need LS to keep searching for her like they are. (where’s the eye roll emoji?)

Now IE. IE is not at all interested in “justice.” She has the discovery. Justice dictates that BM should be convicted for what he did, NOT walk freely and be able to sue prosecutors for trying to do just that. IE is on a PR tour as some here have pointed out. I doubt they will be successful in launching a case against LS. It’s all smoke and I hope it finds its’ way right into her eyes in the very near future. She’s a “spin doctor.” IE knows BM killed Suzanne. And yes, I strongly support a rigorous defense for those arrested, but what I don’t like, or rather hate, is liars and truth benders, although that would make IE and BM a perfect pair!

MOO

Last edited:
My thoughts on the ”video.”

Smiles and chuckles in and out of the court room, whimpering and close to tears in the interview. Quite a contrast! Great tactic for garnering sympathy from the audience that are not familiar with the evidence.

They need time to heal. Nice. Too bad their mother can’t heal. She is dead. That’s quite a snow job he’s done on them. They think they know him. I think Suzanne protected them from knowing what kind of man he really was/is. Unfortunately, I also think they are pretty much incapable of seeing the truth of what happened. I don’t believe these girls will ever question him. They are wholly blinded and do not understand that they are under his narcissistic spell.

I’m surprised they didn’t invite Shona to participate so she could tell everyone how she saw a “strange” vehicle in the neighbourhood around the time SM went missing. No doubt she has spun that tale for the girls repeatedly. I guess that’s why they need LS to keep searching for her like they are. (where’s the eye roll emoji?)

Now IE. IE is not at all interested in “justice.” She has the discovery. Justice dictates that BM should be convicted for what he did, NOT walk freely and be able to sue prosecutors for trying to do just that. IE is on a PR tour as some here have pointed out. I doubt they will be successful in launching a case against LS. It’s all smoke and I hope it finds its’ way right into her eyes in the very near future. She’s a “spin doctor.” IE knows BM killed Suzanne. And yes, I strongly support a rigorous defense for those arrested, but what I don’t like, or rather hate, is liars and truth benders, although that would make IE and BM a perfect pair!

MOO
Interesting that the dismissal of the murder charges against BM seem to be tied to finding Suzanne's body now--what are they expecting to find on, in, or with her body that will tie together some or all of the other evidence?

Interesting that the dismissal of the murder charges against BM seem to be tied to finding Suzanne's body now--what are they expecting to find on, in, or with her body that will tie together some or all of the other evidence?
The reporter made it look that way, but I don’t believe the DA needs the body to make the case or any new evidence. However, IANAL :). I think the prosecutor’s office needs to get organized and have their experts testify. Judge L destroyed their ability to make the case by sanctioning them to the degree he did. Judge L, imho, could have done better. His parroting the defence’s spin on the dog that searched the first night showed he wasn’t paying close attention to what the handler actually said.

My sincere hope is that LE find Suzanne. Seems like an impossible task, but miracles do happen! Not sure they’ll find anything else with her. He made a LOT of dumps on MD morning. Even if they don’t locate her remains, I firmly believe they will come for him again in the not too distant future. They are taking the time to “regroup.”

Last edited:
My thoughts on the GMA “ interview “

I’m cringing along with others here.

First , they lead the story by saying that BM and daughters give their first interview “since the charges have been dropped “.
How about “ since SM disappeared “ ?

Second of all. Nothing IE says surprises me.. Her stance of a man wrongly accused is totally on script and predictable for her.
As frustrating as it is to hear it.

Not going to criticize the girls.. I do feel for them.

But since this is the first ever public statements I’ve seen by them. I was struck by older one MM1 saying they need time to heal, similar to her statements in Court to the Judge that they haven’t had time to grieve and it’s been a long 2 years.
My impression: She wants this all to go away and be forgotten ( especially the part about her Father.)

The brief statement by youngest daughter MM2 that she hopes the DA “ steps up” gave me the impression that she really wants someone— anyone- to solve this and prove to her that her Father was not involved.

Call me crazy but knowing what we all know from Suzanne texts and MM2 interviews, we know she was very aware of how bad things were.

JMO

Also, thought it was weird that she called the DA “ Linda “
And her comment about ‘ stepping up to the plate “ reminded me of when SM’s brother Andy urged BM to step up to the plate. I remember some of us thought it was a reference to BM playing baseball. I guess it’s maybe just a common reference to someone stepping up and taking charge?

I am just speculating, but I have to wonder if the short little video clips we saw today will soon be included in a Primetime special.

More cringe to come ?

CBS 48 Hours and NBC Dateline have already done theirs.
But not ABC .

During the 4 day Preliminary hearings, I made a mental note of the fact that reporter Carol McKinley was tagging ABC 20/20 in all her tweets from the courtroom.
Just my speculation.
And random thoughts.

Without sounding too crass--Barry's daughters seem to have taken on the role of caring and comforting young mothers to Barry's personae of the persecuted and misunderstood son. The oddness of the power dynamics between them seems really strange to me.

Interestingly, all three look immature in this clip. I understand the girls, they chose the only defense allowing their worlds not to split apart, "our dad didn't do it". After all, they are very young, and they lost their mother. But, Barry himself looks straight out of a kindergarten. Could it be the presence of Iris Eytan, smart, hard as nails, independent adult (she even resembles a schoolmarm in this clip), that brought out underlying weakness in all three? I wish one could see how ShoSho comes across in Iris's presence.

CNN) — The Colorado man whose trial over the disappearance and death of his wife was dismissed has spoken out in his first public interview since the charges were dropped.

Barry Morphew, whose wife, Suzanne Morphew, was last seen cycling on Mother’s Day in 2020, told ABC’s Good Morning America on Friday: “I love my wife. I just want her to be found.”

The Morphews are formerly from Alexandria, Indiana.

[. ]

“We’ve been silent for a long time and we’ve decided that we finally want to break the silence,” said Morphew’s daughter, Mallory Morphew, who joined her father for the interview along with her sister. “It’s been an emotional roller coaster, but we feel like we can finally take our first steps in healing, which is a blessing.”

“We just know our dad better than anyone else and we know he was not involved in our mom’s disappearance,” she added.

Morphew’s other daughter, Macy Morphew, called for District Attorney Linda Stanley to do more to find their mother.

“I just hope that Linda [Stanley] will step up to the plate and do everything she can to find our mom, because what they’ve done it’s not fair and we’re never going to stop looking for our mom,” she told Good Morning America.

[. ]

CNN) — The Colorado man whose trial over the disappearance and death of his wife was dismissed has spoken out in his first public interview since the charges were dropped.

Barry Morphew, whose wife, Suzanne Morphew, was last seen cycling on Mother’s Day in 2020, told ABC’s Good Morning America on Friday: “I love my wife. I just want her to be found.”

The Morphews are formerly from Alexandria, Indiana.

[. ]

“We’ve been silent for a long time and we’ve decided that we finally want to break the silence,” said Morphew’s daughter, Mallory Morphew, who joined her father for the interview along with her sister. “It’s been an emotional roller coaster, but we feel like we can finally take our first steps in healing, which is a blessing.”

“We just know our dad better than anyone else and we know he was not involved in our mom’s disappearance,” she added.

Morphew’s other daughter, Macy Morphew, called for District Attorney Linda Stanley to do more to find their mother.

“I just hope that Linda [Stanley] will step up to the plate and do everything she can to find our mom, because what they’ve done it’s not fair and we’re never going to stop looking for our mom,” she told Good Morning America.

[. ]
"Last seen cycling on Mother's Day..."

Idiots.

When is the media going to get over this cycling thing? She was not cycling on Mother’s Day. She was not last seen on Mother’s Day. She was not last seen cycling. What in the world?!

When is the media going to get over this cycling thing? She was not cycling on Mother’s Day. She was not last seen on Mother’s Day. She was not last seen cycling. What in the world?!
Sloppy reporting.
The very first press release by the Sheriff Department on May 11 said she was “ reportedly “ on a bike ride.
Starting May 14 the Chaffee County Sheriff never mentioned a bike ride again in any updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member