Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #105

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They knew because Barry told them. They also knew Barry had showed up at workplaces with facial scratches. And she has showed up one time and was very angry with him according to the LE interviews we are privvy to. I think prosecution did not want this trial to be about Suzanne and Barry’s failing marriage. But they had to get her affair out in the open so it didn’t come back to them with defense controlling the narrative.
I think prosecution absolutely did want to demonstrate that the Morphew marriage had failed.

SM was done, wanted out, and BM was not going to accept that.

Motive for murder.

jmo

Suzanne said Barry hit her and made her nose bleed. He admitted he "clipped her" and was sorry.She was scared for her life. No text or calls between BM and SM from feb to may (im done text). She is murdered, BM says they are happily married. Llama rules her own words inadmissible at trial. Something about all male investigators and judges failing to notice the elephant in the room .

“Domestic Violence” criteria under Colorado Revised Statutes, §18-6-800.3, Definitions:

• An act or threatened act between people in an intimate relationship.
  • Other acts or violations committed against a person, property, or animal with the intent to coerce, control, punish, intimidate, or seek revenge against an intimate partner.

IMO, it's an injustice not to be factual on this forum about domestic violence where 20 years later, the laws have not changed much between evidence of domestic violence and what's admissible evidence.

It's extremely important for victims to keep an admissible record of the abuse beyond hearsay. According to the laws in Colorado governing domestic violence, BM's admission was not enough when SM's single record was hearsay.

In most states, admissible evidence constitutes unbiased, factual information recorded shortly after the abuse occurs, when recall is easier.

IMO, SM's own secrets clouded her judgment when it came to keeping a record of BM's abuse and/or reporting BM.

And Look at Gabby Petito and how UT laws also penalized the wrong victim!

I'll never forget Nicole Brown Simpson's diary and photographs that she kept locked away -- 2 years after her divorce when she was murdered by her former husband.

Brown’s diary entries and statements she made to family and friends about the alleged domestic violence were planned to be presented in the trial, but were ruled inadmissible as hearsay as Brown could not be cross-examined.

Much more needs to be done about the laws governing domestic violence but not being factual about the law does not help educate or protect victims in Colorado or elsewhere for that matter. JMO.

They knew because Barry told them. They also knew Barry had showed up at workplaces with facial scratches. And she has showed up one time and was very angry with him according to the LE interviews we are privvy to. I think prosecution did not want this trial to be about Suzanne and Barry’s failing marriage. But they had to get her affair out in the open so it didn’t come back to them with defense controlling the narrative.
Is it strong enough to get it back into court, I wonder?

In my opinion no. It would literally put their marriage on trial and I don’t think it would be fair to Suzanne. The affair cemented prosecution’s case that their marriage was ending. They don’t need anything else in my opinion.
Ok but it is evidence of violence and it is mot likely uzanne died violently at the hand of a known violent offender.

The cae simply cannot be allowed to slip away..
It wa a no-body case.
I don't believe there is a slim chance that her body will ever be found.
And even if it is, depending upon conditions of storage I think it unlikely it will tell much.

Yet case has slipped away.
There should be no need for new evidence.

The AA has plenty of strong evidence.

I think it's enough.

We all did until iris and the presumed loyal prosecution staff went awol and off on tangents.
In unison, at that.

“Domestic Violence” criteria under Colorado Revised Statutes, §18-6-800.3, Definitions:

• Other acts or violations committed against a person, property, or animal with the intent to coerce, control, punish, intimidate, or seek revenge against an intimate partner.

IMO, it's an injustice not to be factual on this forum about domestic violence where 20 years later, the laws have not changed much between evidence of domestic violence and what's admissible evidence.

It's extremely important for victims to keep an admissible record of the abuse beyond hearsay. According to the laws in Colorado governing domestic violence, BM's admission was not enough when SM's single record was hearsay.

In most states, admissible evidence constitutes unbiased, factual information recorded shortly after the abuse occurs, when recall is easier.

IMO, SM's own secrets clouded her judgment when it came to keeping a record of BM's abuse and/or reporting BM.

I'll never forget Nicole Brown Simpson's diary and photographs that she kept locked away -- 2 years after her divorce when she was murdered by her former husband.

Brown’s diary entries and statements she made to family and friends about the alleged domestic violence were planned to be presented in the trial, but were ruled inadmissible as hearsay as Brown could not be cross-examined.

Much more needs to be done about the laws governing domestic violence but not being factual about the law does not help educate or protect victims in Colorado or elsewhere for that matter. JMO.

Agree with all the above.

I was disappointed the Judge with how the judge drew the lines, but as we never got the written reasoning to my knowledge, it is hard to comment on in detail.

Personally I think Judges should be slower to find prejudice merely by disclosing the victims own words IMO. Of course we can't cross examine the victim to find out what she meant, but it seems perverse that the jury cannot even know about what she said because 'someone' murdered her

There persists an idea that a 'normal level' of marital strife (AKA domestic abuse) doesn't prove anything because in 999 cases out of 1000 no one gets murdered. But in a case where the woman is murdered it is significant. I remember we discussed a study on this at the time of the pistorius trial (no way to find it so IMO) - i.e. where the woman is murdered e.g with a firearm you will almost always find redflags like domestic abuse, stalking etc

So essentially the judge entertained a logical fallacy - though the weight of precedent likely compels him to do so

If he actually did kill Suzanne, and I believe he did, then there is every reason to believe he's capable of doing it again.
Especially if he's convinced he got away with it.
If he kills a second time (allegedly), then his confidence to do so because he got away with it before (allegedly) would be a big mistake. I think most people would think "Hang on a bit, didn't something like this happen before?" Barry of course wouldn't understand that, his thinking, such as it is, is not up to that standard. IMO

Suzanne said Barry hit her and made her nose bleed. He admitted he "clipped her" and was sorry.She was scared for her life. No text or calls between BM and SM from feb to may (im done text). She is murdered, BM says they are happily married. Llama rules her own words inadmissible at trial. Something about all male investigators and judges failing to notice the elephant in the room .

RBBM
THIS^^^
Such eagerness to protect the rights of a male defendant at a very high cost to facts/truth.

OTOH, the best sparing match would be between JG and IE. Ultimately, the lies of a corrupt female defense attorney trumped all.

But it's not over til it's over. Despite your lack of affinity for Jonny, put him on the stand with a strong prosecutor leading & it's game over IMHO.

Oh, for that day. You are not forgotten Suzanne.

The findings of investigators are summarized with this: "Barry cannot provide a last sighting of Suzanne, only labored breathing similar to a snore, which is consistent with her being tranquilized. Barry describes her as being drunk that afternoon, which matches the effects of the tranquilizer after a few minutes. He says he is running around the house, most likely chasing Suzanne while she is conscious. Barry has admitted that he had taken Suzanne's phone from her at least twice in the past to try to monitor or control what she was doing. There is no phone activity for Suzanne after 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, which is out of the norm for her typical behavior and an abrupt end following her 59 communications with Jeff Libler that morning and afternoon. By around 2:30 p.m. on Saturday May 9th, it had become clear that Barry could not control Suzanne's insistence on leaving him and he resorted to something he had done his entire life — hunt and control Suzanne like he had hunted and controlled animals."

THANK YOU for making it so clear, Mr. Walker.

MOO

In my opinion no. It would literally put their marriage on trial and I don’t think it would be fair to Suzanne. The affair cemented prosecution’s case that their marriage was ending. They don’t need anything else in my opinion.
What is unfair to Suzanne is someone is getting away with her murder.

jmo

FREMONT COUNTY, Colo. (KRDO) -- The Attorney Regulation Counsel (ARC) is now investigating seven Fremont County prosecutors, including District Attorney Linda Stanley, following allegations of repeated prosecutorial misconduct.

The investigation centers on the now-dismissed murder case against Chaffee County husband Barry Morphew, who was previously charged in his wife's disappearance, after Barry's attorney filed an 83-page complaint to the ARC.

Within the complaint, Barry Morphew's defense attorney, Iris Eytan, alleges Stanley's office violated a dozen attorney rules.

Those alleged violations include failure to uphold victim rights, dishonest and unethical practices, and the repeated failure to turn over evidence.

[…]

The ARC said if it finds violations, it could either attempt to reach a settlement with attorneys or file a formal complaint with a presiding disciplinary judge.

FREMONT COUNTY, Colo. (KRDO) -- The Attorney Regulation Counsel (ARC) is now investigating seven Fremont County prosecutors, including District Attorney Linda Stanley, following allegations of repeated prosecutorial misconduct.

The investigation centers on the now-dismissed murder case against Chaffee County husband Barry Morphew, who was previously charged in his wife's disappearance, after Barry's attorney filed an 83-page complaint to the ARC.

Within the complaint, Barry Morphew's defense attorney, Iris Eytan, alleges Stanley's office violated a dozen attorney rules.

Those alleged violations include failure to uphold victim rights, dishonest and unethical practices, and the repeated failure to turn over evidence.

[…]

The ARC said if it finds violations, it could either attempt to reach a settlement with attorneys or file a formal complaint with a presiding disciplinary judge.
Are they both Fremont and Chaffee prosecutors?? MOO

[…]

I laugh because talk about the pot calling the kettle black:
"Those alleged violations include failure to uphold victim rights, dishonest and unethical practices, and the repeated failure to turn over evidence."
IE needs to be careful about what she wishes for.

And Judge L needs to be very glad he is no longer employed by the jurisdiction under investigation although I'm not sure he will remain untainted.

There's plenty of blame to go around while those who are invested in justice for victim Suzanne Moorman Morphew continue their hopes & prayers for justice. Cancer survivor, known for compassion & kindness, mother of two daughters, gone at only age 49. The VICTIM in this tale of egregious ongoing focus on other matters.

MOO

Great post, as always, Seattle1.

I seem to recall Suzanne kept a journal that may have been burned in their fireplace. If true, it was Barry who was hiding Suzanne's confessions in her diary by turning it into ashes.

According to Fox 21 News, investigators found two of three books in the Morphew home that are believed to have been important to Suzanne: A Bible and Alcoholics Anonymous book. Detectives were also advised to look for a journal. While they didn’t find an intact journal, investigators reportedly found possible evidence of a journal burned in the fireplace.

Barry Morphew’s Arms Covered In Possible Fingernail Cuts After Suzanne Morphew’s Disappearance; Someone May Have Burned Journal in Fireplace

Are they both Fremont and Chaffee prosecutors?? MOO
Given this has IE's fingers all over the 89-page complaint targeting 8 prosecutors, I think it's safe to say they are all from the 11th Judicial District (which includes Fremont, Custer, Chaffee, and Park Counties). JMO

[…]

It is my fervent hope that one of these days, when she is old and grey, that Iris will receive a realisation of the irony that it is Suzanne who is paying her to bury her.

Everything is about distraction here.
I hope lS shoots back ten times harder but she is up for re-election next year and there appears to be quite the shark infested tide swimming against her.
It is my own suspicion that these elements existed ever before she was appointed.

Somebody, possibly via FOI request needs to determine current case status.

But, you know, the money is all gone, spent already. Suzanne's money that is rightfully her family money, inherited, has been spent and used against her.

I think about her brother, Andy, a lot.
i hope he is okay.

Suzanne Morphew’s brother speaks on his suspicion of foul play, Barry Morphew’s ‘cunning personality traits’ 2021

2022 when he believed, as we all did that she would be found.

Where did that information even come from? The snow that never melted enough in 3 years??? FFS
Head fried with all this?
WHY was it deemed credible information /
Was that even more politics or internal sabotage in DA's office?

The whole push-pull tactics has turned it into a state of inertia, quite possibly by design!
I'm furious.

Does SM daughters and IE still think Suzanne left to become a homeless vagrant in an unfamiliar city?

Investigation should have been taken seriously, like someone's life depended on getting answers. <modsnip: Discussion of race and politics are is not allowed >

Last edited by a moderator:

[…]

Interestingly enough this could boomerang on ole shifty Iris in a BIG way - IMO

It is my fervent hope that one of these days, when she is old and grey, that Iris will receive a realisation of the irony that it is Suzanne who is paying her to bury her.

Everything is about distraction here.
I hope lS shoots back ten times harder but she is up for re-election next year and there appears to be quite the shark infested tide swimming against her.
It is my own suspicion that these elements existed ever before she was appointed.

Somebody, possibly via FOI request needs to determine current case status.

But, you know, the money is all gone, spent already. Suzanne's money that is rightfully her family money, inherited, has been spent and used against her.

I think about her brother, Andy, a lot.
i hope he is okay.

Suzanne Morphew’s brother speaks on his suspicion of foul play, Barry Morphew’s ‘cunning personality traits’ 2021

2022 when he believed, as we all did that she would be found.

Where did that information even come from? The snow that never melted enough in 3 years??? FFS
Head fried with all this?
WHY was it deemed credible information /
Was that even more politics or internal sabotage in DA's office?

The whole push-pull tactics has turned it into a state of inertia, quite possibly by design!
I'm furious.
"Everything is about distraction here" BBM above
Totally agree that during the entire case Iris and team have been all about DISTRACTION - Look HERE not there etc.
The timing of this by Iris is curious to me as the case has been out of the news and there really is no need for distraction right now that I know of ?
Iris puts the case back in the news and brings Suzanne's murder by her husband imo back into the spotlight with an ongoing investigation of the prosecutors. How is that good for Barry?
Maybe not so good for Barry but Iris has always been an attention seeker so it's bringing her name back front and center.
If I win the powerball I will truly pay for top shelf legal people/private eyes etc to go to Colorado to make it their mission to sort this all out - just an absolute travesty of justice IMO.. ALL IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slowloris