Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #108

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because

1) they only had PARTIAL DNA. Partial. Othram needs a full sample and so does every other IGG site I know of. That's why they needed Kohberger's dad's DNA (different case, but most of you are familiar with it).

They didn't even have 18 SNP's! Othram uses...600,000.

So here's the problem with even considering this.

How would you feel if your relative (who has uploaded to Othram) is identified as a possible match (and therefore, we turn to regular pedigrees and family lines - as happened in the DeAngelo case) YOU are identified as a possible match. You are contacted by FBI. You try to remember where you were that day that they're interested in. Does this sound like a good way to do law enforcement? No matter what your alibi, you are still on a list of potential suspects and the alibi needs to be really good (you have proof you were not anywhere near the crime, you were at work, with a camera on you, hundreds or thousands of miles away). Now your name is in the LE files (which can become public under various circumstances),

Yikes. If you sent 18 out of 600,000 SNP's to Othram, it would match thousands and thousands of people. Maybe tens of thousands (more likely, really). What is LE supposed to do with that? Attempt to verify alibis for 10,000 people each time there's DNA found somewhere at a crime scene?

Why not do that with the helmet DNA too? And then the bike DNA? (The answer there, I believe, is that the person whose DNA matched those came forward and that cleared him - because he had a reason to have his DNA on the helmet - he sold it to Suzanne).

Does anyone here really think that the bike shop owner in Salida should have been treated as a suspect and should be named publicly (say, by the Defense)? The Defense knows this partial match is bogus and that the person to whom it belongs isn't even a felon and no one has his identity. Perfect Patsy. But tomorrow, that person could be charged with a felony and have his complete DNA put in CODIS, and now...he'd need an alibi. But if his actual DNA is still a partial match - he walks free, it isn't him.

To put it another way, Glovebox Guy is not that sex offender. Glovebox guy only PARTIALLY matches the CODIS sex offender. But does it matter? Glovebox Guy is SOMEONE. Should he be hunted down via IGG? Why?? His whole life turned upside down because a distant relative of his is a sex offender and he touched an owners manual while doing his job? No evidence of criminal activity in the car at all. ALL owners' manuals have some DNA on them that comes from the manufacturing process (so does most underwear, although I will say that many Chinese manufacturers and some in Germany are now trying to prevent employee DNA from getting on products for just these reasons. It's very very expensive to do, though (you exhale your DNA as you breathe, so they have to basically be in space suits).

If that sex offender is found, the CODIS results will still not be a complete match to the Glovebox DNA, because it wasn't a complete match on the 18 markers CODIS uses (I may be off a little on my number there, because I haven't been to CODIS today, it changes once in a while and it makes no difference to this discussion - but others can feel free to try and understand the multi-volume work behind CODIS if they want to, it's quite the rabbit hole.) If the sex offender is apprehended and charged and typical procedure is followed, then his entire profile goes into CODIS (but CODIS STILL won't be using his entire genome to make their match - it's merely an investigative tool, sex offender will match his other crimes - but he will not match the Glovebox Guy's full profile, which is why GG is only a PARTIAL match in the first place.

You are doing such a good job. If (and hopefully, when) this case is reopened, I think LE has to invite a geneticist to explain how approximate this correct science, genetics, is. FTDNA had Y-500. I remember discussing with my dad’s Finnish match when could our common ancestor have lived. We though, in Peter the Great’s time. Then FTDNA issued Y700… well, we are still matched in time, probably around 1300 AD.

(Another example, my uncle’s Y match from Tilsit, common ancestor moved up to 1250 AD, I doubt Tilsit even existed then).

Genetics, this great science, is based on assumptions. They say that even Gregor Mendel proceeded more from own intuition than the results of pea experiments. We are lucky that we have computers and millions who suddenly got interested in own ethnicity. However, in SM’s case, it would seem equally possible that “a rapist wanted in three states left his DNA on SM car’s glovebox”, or “the rapist is the descendant of a Puritan who came on Mayflower with his brother, and this brother’s distant descendant serviced SM’s car”, or even “they bought a used car, and prior owner’s friend shouldn’t have touched the glovebox”.

The police is in a hard situation, but they were overwhelmed, and people criticizing them now should get minimal information. And maybe it is not difficult to calculate the probabilities?

Last edited:
I read the old arrest affidavit the other night. People interviewed in Indiana said planted trees at his nursery too deep or too shallow for the type of tree and they didn't do well. So a horticulture degree surprises me.
IMO, Barry went to college to live out his fantasy of becoming a Professional Baseball Player. The degree was just a bonus. I'd like to see a transcript with his grades.

JMO

5/9/20
2:03 Suzanne selfie sent to Libler this is last official photo proof of life.
2:11 Linked In - last message police have found sent from Suzanne's phone.
May have moved to private chat space with Libler.
No further communication to anyone from Suzanne.
2:43pm BM arrives home so BM and SM both at Puma Path
2:47 BM phone put on airplane mode.
10:17 BM phone switched out of airplane mode.

That's what I was thinking. No telling how far away fox, coyote, etc. would take things. Especially at first when, sadly, the body parts could have fed a den. I was thinking maybe that one or more bones were found on that side road, and that could be where a tip off to LE occurred.
Agree with this. Someone may have called in seeing what they were pretty sure was a human bone. The sherrifs who had the Edna Quintana case open went out and collected what they saw. Came up as Suzanne.

Sobering to see dedicated LEOs out there sifting for Suzanne...

The love of his life? Really?

jmo

Not even a 26 second vid, offering a reward and pleading for the culprit to come forward.

Wonder why :rolleyes:

Barry only loves Barry.

Wish Suzanne knew how many people cared about finding her and still do

moo

Knowing MM2’s boyfriend spoke truthfully when asked about the situation between Barry and Suzanne, this interview calls into question the truthfulness of the response given by the girls starting around the 3:25 min mark. Selective memory? We know why Barry’s lying, but has MM2 seriously forgotten what transpired in the weeks/months prior to her mother’s disappearance and now confirmed murder?

Feel free to remove my post if it crosses some boundaries. When I watch it, I understand better how Stockholm syndrome is formed.

Not even a 26 second vid, offering a reward and pleading for the culprit to come forward.

Wonder why :rolleyes:

Barry only loves Barry.

Wish Suzanne knew how many people cared about finding her and still do

moo

The lack of an on the record statement is pretty interesting here.

You’d think if he had nothing to do with the grave site he’d be in front of a camera even if just reading a carefully crafted statement.

Of course such a statement could be admissible against him but to my mind it’s strange they are not out in front of this.

Unless of course Barry knows what’s in the gravesite.

But I find it strange either way that you wouldn’t go big.

Exactly. Were the mechanics that have worked on this car in the past tested for DNA? That should have been done a long time ago to eliminate this “other male” theory!
Investigators (CBI, FBI, and Chaffee County Sheriff’s Department) were unable to recover a shred of evidence that would rule out Barry as the suspect.

5/9/20
2:03 Suzanne selfie sent to Libler this is last official photo proof of life.
2:11 Linked In - last message police have found sent from Suzanne's phone.
May have moved to private chat space with Libler.
No further communication to anyone from Suzanne.
2:43pm BM arrives home so BM and SM both at Puma Path
2:47 BM phone put on airplane mode.
10:17 BM phone switched out of airplane mode.
Anyone have a link to a super detailed timeline like the excerpt above? I've visited page 1 of this thread and the Media, Maps and Timeline 43 pages, and can only find a few early ones, very vague at that point. The affadavit link on that page is also broken so I can't access that. Thanks!

You’d think if he had nothing to do with the grave site he’d be in front of a camera even if just reading a carefully crafted statement.

Of course such a statement could be admissible against him but to my mind it’s strange they are not out in front of this.

If his first attempt (Oh Suzanne!) was any indication of his ability to speak publically to garner sympathy, it’s best he keeps his mouth shut. Too bad Iris won’t! MOO

It is interesting but Iris wouldn't let that happen. Don't think she trusts Barry.
There hasn't even been a heartfelt statement on Barry's behalf only a few words before the bashing of the prosecutors and LE began.
smh

Moo
Ebm

We might feel a little impatient waiting for further information,but Barry must be having sleepless nights wondering what investigators might find.
I think Barry has only two thoughts on his mind.
1. When will I be charged again?
2. Can IE get me off?
Wow he must go back and forth with those thoughts every moment.

He knows the ending but I’m sure the thoughts of him winning the fifteen million dollars in the civil suit had him delusional for awhile.

My question is, even though Barry haasn’t been charged again, will this civil suit be allowed to proceed by the judge since Suzanne’s body has been found?

Anyone have a link to a super detailed timeline like the excerpt above? I've visited page 1 of this thread and the Media, Maps and Timeline 43 pages, and can only find a few early ones, very vague at that point. The affadavit link on that page is also broken so I can't access that. Thanks!
I don't know of a super detailed on, but this is the arrest affidavit. It has a lot of the details in it.

In the post I just did before this one I included the phone logs for Barry.

Below is phone records and I think truck records.

Simply looking at means, motive and opportunity - I strongly feel a jury would convict if this case is brought to trial, now that Suzanne's body has been found.

Barry's actions when he left for Broomfield, i.e., multiple dumpster stops, hotel debaucle, last minute dash to a jobsite (no supplies/equipment, not supposed to work on a weekend)- why would he do all that?

I don't care how IE (or any other defense attorney) will try to spin it, she can't sanitize all the details when they are put together in sequence.
I completely agree that Mr. Morphew’s means, motive, and opportunity to kill his wife are fully established. The defense seems to rely on a position that someone else also had motive, which boils down to an unknown assailant and/or serial killer (UA/SK).

However, a UA/SK would have no motive to stage the bike “incident” (the ride she ostensibly took without a phone, water or working brakes) nor would that person likely have a motive for burying the body. In the vast majority of stranger murders, the body is dumped at or relatively near the location of the killing, not buried.

The one caveat I would add is that the State needs to establish Mr. Morphew had the means and opportunity to dispose of the body at the gravesite. The 4 hour “unaccounted for” window beginning on May 9 is part of that but a plausible vehicle to transport the body needs to be firmly established. The postulation that she was sedated but not dead when transported could perhaps be an explanation for why cadaver dogs did not hit on the vehicles. Clearly, anything that connects Mr. Morphew to this area, whether found during recent search or from his past history, would likely foreclose the UA/SK scenario.

The stories that Saguache County is a dumping ground for killers appears to be a side show. From what I can tell from limited reading the recently found body of James Montoya about 20 miles from where Suzanne Morphew was found was dumped, not buried.

This article says the remains were spread over 75 yards, almost a football field!

A timeline of the Suzanne Morphew investigation Sep 30, 2023

"For days, forensic teams dug up the desert ground, gathering the remains that were scattered across a large swath of sagebrush-dotted prairie estimated by Saguache County Coroner Tom Perrin to be around 75 yards."
What part of her was in the ground, just the torso?
Thanks for the information. 75 years is a large area! I had no idea.

Knowing MM2’s boyfriend spoke truthfully when asked about the situation between Barry and Suzanne, this interview calls into question the truthfulness of the response given by the girls starting around the 3:25 min mark. Selective memory? We know why Barry’s lying, but has MM2 seriously forgotten what transpired in the weeks/months prior to her mother’s disappearance and now confirmed murder?

The looks on those young women's faces is upsetting to me. I feel so sorry that they lost their loving mother who, was by all accounts, always there for them growing up. The girls were close and always doing fun things together and posting on SM until... BM disappeared Suzanne and then he mind twisted them I truly believe.

They look afraid and unsure even if the words coming out of their mouth is the opposite. :(

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member