Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* #109

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was a very effective plan. Until it wasn't.

BM was a nemesis to the animal kingdom.

And now the animal kingdom is his.

What you do in the dark...

Jmo
Yes! Let animals be the reason he is caught!
Whether by insect dating or by mammals not letting clandestine graves dug by murderers remain secret.
Vanessa Guillen was lost and buried. The searchers gave up, the search dogs literally walked over her cement jacketed remains buried by the Leon River.
But the ferrel boars knew and dug her up and nearby fence workers then discovered her.

From the article,

Dennis Maes, the former Chief Judge of the 10th Judicial District Court, said the discovery allegations and complaints against Stanley and her office should factor into the court venue decision. He said the 12th Judicial District should prosecute any future potential case.

“The fact that the initial investigation was botched in many ways and the fact that a new set of eyes can take a different look at this and determine whether or not charges will be filed against someone,” Maes said.

“They should not be wedded to any of the findings or any of the proceedings that occurred in the initial investigation,” he said. “It should be as if it was just starting brand new.”

Both Maes and Solano said it is possible special prosecutors from other districts or even the Colorado Attorney General’s Office will help with the case.
he emerged from retirement to say all that, eh?

I’m wondering what if it can’t be determined where she died, just only the time window of her death, and that BM killed her? Since she was found in Saguache County wouldn’t it make since for her death to be prosecuted there? I seems plausible to me because Linda Stanley is leaving and every law officer in Chaffee County is involved in BM‘s lawsuit.

You may well be right - but it bothers me that Saguache is, apparently, a different political mix than Chaffee County (already divided, almost 50/50 by my estimation).

IE will continue to claim that BM can't get a fair trial in Chaffee County because Civil Rights Violations.

For a County with only about 6000 people, they sure do have lots of bodies found in Saguache.

County seat has a population of ~500 people. County is pretty large by square miles, to boot.

IMO.

10/3/23

Although the 11th Judicial District previously prosecuted the case, Suzanne’s body was found in the 12 Judicial District. According to Colorado state law, the location of a trial is determined by where the death was inflicted, where the death occurred, and where the body was found.

[..]

“It would be a collaborative effort and I assume and believe that they would make the decision based upon a number of different factors, including where the witnesses may be located, where the underlying evidentiary results in tests and other kinds of physical evidence may be, and as well as the capacity that each judicial district may have at the time in order to be able to take on such an important and potentially large case,” Solano said.

Dennis Maes, the former Chief Judge of the 10th Judicial District Court, said the discovery allegations and complaints against Stanley and her office should factor into the court venue decision. He said the 12th Judicial District should prosecute any future potential case.

“The fact that the initial investigation was botched in many ways and the fact that a new set of eyes can take a different look at this and determine whether or not charges will be filed against someone,” Maes said.

“They should not be wedded to any of the findings or any of the proceedings that occurred in the initial investigation,” he said. “It should be as if it was just starting brand new.”

Both Maes and Solano said it is possible special prosecutors from other districts or even the Colorado Attorney General’s Office will help with the case.

“There have been occasions in the past when local district attorney's offices have sought out the help of the state attorney general's office and in providing resources,” Maes said. “I would certainly at least explore that idea, particularly for these smaller jurisdictions.”

Both Stanley and Kelly didn’t respond to multiple requests for comment.

Strange inconsistency IMO
BM knows some things. We know he listens to Forensic Files, LOL! But in this case, he knows just enough not to make it easy for LE, but not enough to get away with it.

IMO, until the arrest affidavit was released, I don't think the average bear knew the extent of information available through vehicle telematics. Maybe gps positions, but not much else.

10/3/23

Although the 11th Judicial District previously prosecuted the case, Suzanne’s body was found in the 12 Judicial District. According to Colorado state law, the location of a trial is determined by where the death was inflicted, where the death occurred, and where the body was found.

[..]

“It would be a collaborative effort and I assume and believe that they would make the decision based upon a number of different factors, including where the witnesses may be located, where the underlying evidentiary results in tests and other kinds of physical evidence may be, and as well as the capacity that each judicial district may have at the time in order to be able to take on such an important and potentially large case,” Solano said.

“There have been occasions in the past when local district attorney's offices have sought out the help of the state attorney general's office and in providing resources,” Maes said. “I would certainly at least explore that idea, particularly for these smaller jurisdictions.”

Hopefully the animals will come through for Suzanne while they're all getting their various acts and agendas together before anybody actually does any work.

C'mon wee Chipmunks, Wild turkeys and the feathered and furred, c'mon Mountain lion... call them to assemble. it's an existential threat, is it not?

These next days will be filled with meetings between investigators regarding the case, according to Warwick. He admitted that his department, with eight to nine employees, is “tremendously smaller than Chaffee County's,” which has been in charge of the investigation into Morphew’s death from the beginning and took it over again when the case was dismissed in April 2022.

But that doesn’t sway him.

“I don’t give a damn what it takes. I’ll make it happen. Whatever it takes we’ll make it work and the commissioners will pay the bill,” he said.
^I love this sentence, and…. his name is Warwick!

Where are you @Warwick7?
We need a BAM

Watching Court TV and this discussion on the partial DNA and I feel like my head is gonna explode at the amount of misinformation that is happening. First of all - it was a partial match - and they are talking about it like it was a direct match of a sex offender in CODIS. They are talking about a bike ride, which never happened. And finally I have yet to hear one single coherent and logical explanation and a theory of the crime that makes any sense that involves Susan's bike and her Range Rover and the fact that her body ended up 40 miles away.

So this guy encountered Susan on her bike. Did he steal her Range Rover before or after that? If he drove her car, why was there DNA on the glove box and not on the steering wheel? And then he drove his car to dump her body or did he take her Range Rover and then bring her car back?

Or did he assault her at her house in the car, getting his dna there? And then instead of leaving her there, he takes her body with him and buries her. Ok fine. Sure. Whatever.

Then someone explain all of Barry's lies and why all proof of life ceased after he got home on Saturday, not Sunday.

Someone make it make sense! Why has all logic and reasoning seemed to abandon many of these talking heads. You can't look at this one little tiny thing in isolation, you just can't. There is a bigger picture here - and that picture paints BM as a guilty man, clear as day, to me, anyway.

Ugh I'm just so irritated! Justice for Suzanne cannot come soon enough!

Conducting Autopsy?
Before I get any more confused, we seem to have MSM saying that the Saguache County Coroner is doing the medical examination of the remains.

It makes sense, of course, if they sent the remains on to the place with the biggest team - is that what happened? If so, the article where the forensic pathologist says it "looks like a homicide" is wrong about which county the Coroner is in.

On the other hand, the forensic pathologist mentioned in that article (Dr. Baden) is in New York, I believe. He's famous.

There is no coroner quoted by name in that article.

I'll do some more...digging.
snipped for focus. @10ofRods In case you missed my earlier post and any other subsequent answers to your Q.
Briefly, ElPaso County coroner office has multiple bd-cert'ed forensic pathologists who conduct autopsies for EP County and for 21 OTHER counties in the state. Your ref'ed article said Saguache coroner Tim Perrin transported her remains to EP County. Col. Spgs is county seat there.
So IIUC, EP will do autopsy on her remains.

Not so briefly, from my earlier post.
Glad to read about "five board certified forensic pathologists"and support staff listed below. BTW, El Paso County is the most populous county located in state of Colorado. The 2020 Census recorded its population as 730,395, surpassing the City and County of Denver. The county seat is Colorado Springs, the second most populous city in Colorado.

From webpage of most recent Annual Report posted online. 2020.

"In addition to performing 920 autopsies on El Paso County Deaths, the office performed 373 autopsies for a fee for 21 surrounding counties."

"TOTAL CASES INVESTIGATED 6037
"TOTAL AUTOPSIES PERFORMED 1293 (9% Increase over 2019)

"In 2020, the Coroner’s Office staff consisted of five boardcertified forensic pathologists including elected Coroner Leon
Kelly, M.D., Deputy Chief Medical Examiner Emily Russell, M.D.,
and Associate Coroners Dan Lingamfelter, D.O., Travis
Danielsen, M.D., and Christopher Hauch, M.D., as well as two
administrative staff, nine death investigators, four
toxicologists, one histologist, and five morgue technician."

Last edited:
Yes! Let animals be the reason he is caught!
Whether by insect dating or by mammals not letting clandestine graves dug by murderers remain secret
I hope this thought keeps BM up at night!

BM's may think lite of his antler collecting activity, but know this, what he's been doing to the deer is beyond abuse. If the buck doesn't succumb to bleeding, he suffers and becomes vulnerable prey. It's cruel and inhumane treatment of animals! At the very least, BM should never be allowed to possess a hunting license. What kind of a person does this?

I hope this thought keeps BM up at night!

BM's may think lite of his antler collecting activity, but know this, what he's been doing to the deer is beyond abuse. If the buck doesn't succumb to bleeding, he suffers and becomes vulnerable prey. It's cruel and inhumane treatment of animals! At the very least, BM should never be allowed to possess a hunting license. What kind of a person does this?
I think at first, Barry thought he would easily get away with Suzanne's murder. After all, he thought he was so much smarter than everyone else. He had listened to and taken notes from so many crime podcasts. He thought no one could catch him.

IMO what he most underestimated, was SA Jon Grusing. God Bless SA Grusing.

Once Barry is behind bars, I hope he never has another peaceful night of sleep again....
The wild animals will be safer as well.

On to the trial!

#JusticeForSuzanne

JMO

Last edited:
Last edited:

10/3/23

[..]

This post made my evening. I have to say I'm surprised to hear these statements...so soon, given how slowly the mill of Justice seems to be grinding.

This is VERY good news. At least it should be clear to the good people of both Chaffee and Saguache Counties that they have help and support (and massive resources) to bring to bear on the Foxy Murderer (who really is a dope). I worry that some people (jury members) will have a hard time believing exactly what Barry ADMITTED and changed in his story, as Grusing and others brought him in for questioning. BM clearly thought he could be his own attorney.

Therein, I think, lies the rub. No amount of IE-ing is going to make up for what Barry already admitted. Of his own volition, after being Mirandized. He thought that was the way to "win" this.

IMO

I have been wondering about the “airplane mode” lately. I have bad cell service where I live and when my phone can’t find service it displays a small SOS up in the left corner. I think it means I can still call 911 if available in my area but it’s different than the emergency settings for 911 the phone also has and I have to wonder what my phone data looks like during those hours and hours I don’t have cell reception. I can still access internet and internet based calling like FaceTime etc. I don’t receive voicemails until I either toggle the airplane mode off and on causing the phone to find a bar of service or wait until the phone eventually finds a signal. So is there any data that differentiates the two? I have no idea but do wonder when I think about this case as it seems that we are at a point where this idea of Barry’s phone going in and out of airplane mode is going to be important.

How will this help to reopen the case against Barry? I'm unfamiliar with this process. Will the CBI investigate and then turn it over to the county for trial?
Hopefully this will result in new pre trial hearings in District 12.. That could potentially mean a new Judge, new Prosecuting Attorney and new review of Evidence that can be admitted at trial.

Previous legal hearings were heard in District # 11.

ETA - Suzanne lived in Maysville, Colorado in Judical District # 11. Her remains were recently found in Moffat CO.

Moffat Co is in Colorado Judaical District # 12

Last edited:
Would Arrest have happened Sooner, if JL had contacted LE Earlier?
I’ll try. If JL had come forward as soon as her ‘abduction’ became public news, we would have had a witness who could have given much more detail as to what was going on in her life (eg with Barry), what her plans were (to leave Barry) and her habits (cycling times and routes). In fact IMO JL had a unique view of Suzanne’s day to day routines.
The above information would have been invaluable to LE who would have used this information to maintain immediate momentum in their early investigation. I think the length of time it took LE to find JL gave BM more confidence in his ability to get away with what he may have done and at the same time lessened the immediacy of the investigation.
JMO.
@Nikynoo Thx for your post.

IIRC, SM's best bud Sheila O. in IN was aware of affair, and IIRC, told LE of it fairly early on. Didn't SM tell/text she did not feel safe w Barry by herself? Told LE w'in a week or two of SM's disapearance?
Pls someone correct me re timing. Anyone?

Would someone in JL's shoes really, truly, honestly think that Barry had killed SM? Or even injured her badly enough to render her incommunicado, like in hospital?
Maybe he thought Barry had confiscated her cell & other devices? IDK.

Watching Court TV and this discussion on the partial DNA and I feel like my head is gonna explode at the amount of misinformation that is happening. First of all - it was a partial match - and they are talking about it like it was a direct match of a sex offender in CODIS. They are talking about a bike ride, which never happened. And finally I have yet to hear one single coherent and logical explanation and a theory of the crime that makes any sense that involves Susan's bike and her Range Rover and the fact that her body ended up 40 miles away.

So this guy encountered Susan on her bike. Did he steal her Range Rover before or after that? If he drove her car, why was there DNA on the glove box and not on the steering wheel? And then he drove his car to dump her body or did he take her Range Rover and then bring her car back?

Or did he assault her at her house in the car, getting his dna there? And then instead of leaving her there, he takes her body with him and buries her. Ok fine. Sure. Whatever.

Then someone explain all of Barry's lies and why all proof of life ceased after he got home on Saturday, not Sunday.

Someone make it make sense! Why has all logic and reasoning seemed to abandon many of these talking heads. You can't look at this one little tiny thing in isolation, you just can't. There is a bigger picture here - and that picture paints BM as a guilty man, clear as day, to me, anyway.

Ugh I'm just so irritated! Justice for Suzanne cannot come soon enough!
Thank you @Kittybunny for watching so we don’t have to! Personally, I would just get all worked up. You saved me the aggravation :)

<snipped for focus>
You're not ignorant, just unfamiliar. Take a look at the port placement. The length of that catheter resting inside of the vessel fills with blood. Odds are in favor of a testable amount of dried blood remaining inside.

Now, in the event he used it to inject her, it's unlikely he was smart enough to flush it, removing the contents of what was injected.

I no longer believe she was nude at the time of burial. BM seemed repulsed by her illness, I think if the port was visible, he would have ripped it out. It took issue with her pain meds, alternative treatments and marijuana use ... anything of help. She was isolated and fought that cancer alone. Diabolical ... you got that right!

All in MOO.
I'm not unfamiliar at all. I only wish that were the case.

I've followed Suzanne's case from the start, and my own late husband had the same exact port, in the same area (different cancer, same exact chest placement & treatment protocol as Suzanne's).

That said, the idea of BM injecting her into her life-saving treatment port with a concoction he knew would kill her, seems over the top, hateful and hurtful to me. I think BM is a self-obsessed creep, but I don't think he's a tortueous monster.

I think in his own, twisted, weird way, BM really did love SM. Of course I could be wrong, but it really does seem like a crime of passion, and not a crime of torture, that a chemo port used to facilitate murder, would imply.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member