Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #110

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me the choice of disposal site makes sense when you read the work of Necrosearch

The wilderness is a great place to dispose of a body, because it is very big. It will only be recovered if teams know where to look, or it is found by accident. Finding by accident due to animal action is very common and I suspect the killer simply did not know this, or was in a rush. Had the body been at 6 feet, then SM is never found. In other words, the disposal site is not a mistake in my view.

Yes it would be much cleverer for her to be concealed offroad deep in the wilderness where effectively she can never be found, but in practice this doesn't happen.

Most times the body will be not far from a vehicle access because bodies are hard to move around. For the same reason, they won't be uphill from the road.

The failure to dig deep may have been simple panic. Burying the victim is a moment of high exposure/risk. Did the killer simply lose his nerve and do a poor job in haste?
No Stone Unturned: The Story of Necrosearch is indeed a brilliant read! In the area SM was buried, soil blowing is a hazard if plant residue is removed so unless BM added plants to the graave, I think after 3 years, there was a lot of natural erosion here.

To me the choice of disposal site makes sense when you read the work of Necrosearch

The wilderness is a great place to dispose of a body, because it is very big. It will only be recovered if teams know where to look, or it is found by accident. Finding by accident due to animal action is very common and I suspect the killer simply did not know this, or was in a rush. Had the body been at 6 feet, then SM is never found. In other words, the disposal site is not a mistake in my view.

Yes it would be much cleverer for her to be concealed offroad deep in the wilderness where effectively she can never be found, but in practice this doesn't happen.

Most times the body will be not far from a vehicle access because bodies are hard to move around. For the same reason, they won't be uphill from the road.

The failure to dig deep may have been simple panic. Burying the victim is a moment of high exposure/risk. Did the killer simply lose his nerve and do a poor job in haste?
Bbm

Barry, do a poor a job?

Seems consistent with what we know.

He strikes me as one of those outfits that work fast, not smart. Fast, not well. Doesn't have time to do it right, just time to do it over.

Hello, wall.

JMO

There's also a landfill on hwy 285 in Saguache County which would be very convenient.

Landfill - Google My Maps
Perhaps that was his intention/destination! But then had seconds thoughts. Apprehension about cameras. Pivoted left and picked the vast tundra instead.

The landfill seems like the logical choice for someone who made a career of trash disposal he didn't pay for. The fact that he didn't dump his entire payload there tells me he didn't know there was a landfill there (IMO doubtful) or he didn't trust it, opting instead for the FDulos Odyssey of Stupidity disposal method, in dumpsters across town.

Joy if some way some how LE recovered even one of those things! Pay dirt!

Busy, busy B must've been absolutely frenetic from the night of 5/8-9 through to his first utterance of "was it lion? No, mmmmmmmountain lion?" And frenetic means reckless. Mistakes were made.

The gravest of them -- the willful act of murder. Shower all you want, you can't wash that off. His soul is dirty.

JMO

Investigator must now look at whether Morphew could have had time to kill Suzanne, drive the 40 minutes to a field on the east side of Saguache, bury her in a shallow grave, and retrace his journey on Highway 285 north to Broomfield for his landscaping job.

Eytan and other sources close to the investigation confirmed that GPS from Morphew’s truck and tracking evidence from his cellphone show that he was not in Saguache on May 9 or 10 — the weekend Morphew went missing.

IE is most likely correct that Barry’s truck and cell phone were not in Saguache on May 9 or 10. But Barry? That’s another story.
Exactly.

Another spin from IE's spin machine. Sleight of hand fools no one.

Just as Barry planned it, his phone and truck were at home sleeping. He wasn't.

Jmo

I think they could have had a 2 page document and gotten an arrest warrant. Imagine that and how much the defense would have claimed was "left out".. probably cause is as easy as she her girls left May 5th, she texted Barry on May 6th that she was done. She was leaving him. He deleted many texts from that exchanged and lied to LE about the state of their marriage. Her phone went silent in the morning hours before Barry left for Broomfield. She never communicated again with anyone after 2:47pm on May 9th when Barry's phone showed he was running around the house and then he put his phone in airplane mode. He changed his story many times over the course of the various interviews to fit evidence presented to him. He lied about where he was on Sunday May 10th.

What else would have been needed to be said?
Maybe not just 2 pages to cover it, but I don't believe it had to be anywhere near what it was. I think the State realizes that is was a mistake now. I'll be curious to see how long the new AA will be. Yes, I believe one is coming for ole' BM.

MOO

^^rsbm

Investigators say Morphew's remains were found in a shallow grave and identified through dental records, sources told Scripps News Denver. The Friday afternoon release from CBI was scant on other information, but the Scripps News Denver crew on the ground gathered some exclusive details about the search.

From your linked article:

<snipped & BBM>

Authorities from Colorado State Patrol (CSP) and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI), along with the Chaffee County and Saguache County sheriff’s offices, conducted an hours-long search Friday in a remote area of Saguache County near Moffat that was connected to the investigation into Suzanne Morphew’s death.

This paragraph has me questioning if they weren't out there looking based on a tip or some other information, especially Chaffee County Sheriff Office? I know the story originally was they came across remains while looking for someone else, but my antennas are up big time. It would be huge if someone gave them information.

ETA: Chaffee Count joined the search on Friday after Suzanne's were found a week prior.

JMO

Last edited:
I think they could have had a 2 page document and gotten an arrest warrant. Imagine that and how much the defense would have claimed was "left out".. probably cause is as easy as she her girls left May 5th, she texted Barry on May 6th that she was done. She was leaving him. He deleted many texts from that exchanged and lied to LE about the state of their marriage. Her phone went silent in the morning hours before Barry left for Broomfield. She never communicated again with anyone after 2:47pm on May 9th when Barry's phone showed he was running around the house and then he put his phone in airplane mode. He changed his story many times over the course of the various interviews to fit evidence presented to him. He lied about where he was on Sunday May 10th.

What else would have been needed to be said?
They would have needed more to get an arrest warrant signed.m
I don't know, but I know hunters because I'm married to one, birthed one, and have many friends married to one.. lol They all have coolers.. many many many coolers. I feel like it's standard equipment for a hunter of Barry's type. So if they all disappeared at the same time that sure is suspicious. Maybe an innocent explanation for it, but there are also plenty of not good reason for it.
i have wondered if there wasn’t coolers in the house and it was never brought up was because MM2 took them with her when she went to meet her older sister for their camping trip.

Maybe not just 2 pages to cover it, but I don't believe it had to be anywhere near what it was. I think the State realizes that is was a mistake now. I'll be curious to see how long the new AA will be. Yes, I believe one is coming for ole' BM.

MOO
Don't steal my dream of a grand jury indictment, even if it might be unrealistic.

The mere thought of the headline gives me comfort.

Jmo

From your linked article:

<snipped & BBM>

Authorities from Colorado State Patrol (CSP) and the Colorado Bureau of Investigation (CBI), along with the Chaffee County and Saguache County sheriff’s offices, conducted an hours-long search Friday in a remote area of Saguache County near Moffat that was connected to the investigation into Suzanne Morphew’s death.

This paragraph has me questioning if they weren't out there looking based on a tip or some other information, especially Chaffee County Sheriff Office? I know the story originally was they came across remains while looking for someone else, but my antennas are up big time. It would be huge if someone gave them information.

JMO

This was a Friday AFTER they had found Suzanne - then Chaffee County joined this search on Friday. I believe I have that correct.

“The family is in shock,” said Morphew’s attorney, Iris Eytan.

She said that as Suzanne’s next of kin, Barry Morphew was notified by the coroner that his wife’s remains had been found and that he was so stunned, he could not recall the conversation."

So THAT'S how Bury explained his not having notified Iris! Seriously??! (I do hope he was stunned, though - stunned and afraid that his goose is suddenly much nearer to being cooked) :rolleyes:

She said that as Suzanne’s next of kin, Barry Morphew was notified by the coroner that his wife’s remains had been found and that he was so stunned, he could not recall the conversation."

So THAT'S how Bury explained his not having notified Iris! Seriously??! (I do hope he was stunned, though - stunned and afraid that his goose is suddenly much nearer to being cooked) :rolleyes:
Oh, Barry...

I'll give him this: he probably was stunned. By flashbacks from jail.

JMO

Oh Iris let's not open that door. Perhaps after murdering his wife he was so stunned at what he had done - he cannot recall murdering her ?
JMO

Prolly stunned too when talking to the Ritters from his hotel encampment, thought he was on site somewhere with workers present. Or not.

I thought Barry's spun tales were ridiculous, but IE has taken it next level, respinning his dumbspuns.

Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member