Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #111

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a lot of posts about this a couple of months ago based on the testimony of Grusing at the prelim. If you ask what you want to know i may be able to find the posts again.

Some of it is clouded, because the CAST expert did not appear at the prelim and the defence skirted around the more incriminating aspects
Exactly, the prelim was so important, somehow LS missed the fact that it would be. A terrible performance.
Still it was repeatedly refusing to abide by requests from the bench that ultimately botched the case.

I made a lot of posts about this a couple of months ago based on the testimony of Grusing at the prelim. If you ask what you want to know i may be able to find the posts again.

Some of it is clouded, because the CAST expert did not appear at the prelim and the defence skirted around the more incriminating aspects
I’ll look for your posts first and reach out if I don’t find them.

what time did the facebook requests from her phone go out that night I wonder?

Looks like that might be sequestered evidence, or can FB really not know what time requests were made?

"Sometime that night
Suzanne’s Facebook codes were reset and people started friending her there. She gained 23 total friends from Indiana, 20 of whom were men."

Yeah, that looks very different if Hoyland testified. That being said, the issue here was the prosecution not chasing down that DNA in time. Obviously it’s not relevant to the case, but we’ve seen how Iris was able to weaponize it.

If this was held now, I have little doubt Barry wouldn’t have been released on bond. Murphy pointed to the DNA and the fact that Suzanne could potentially still be alive in his decision, which are all but moot.

Those DNA leads were chased down, and Suzanne’s body has been found.

That being said, LS still would have screwed it up.

Looks like that might be sequestered evidence, or can FB really not know what time requests were made?

"Sometime that night
Suzanne’s Facebook codes were reset and people started friending her there. She gained 23 total friends from Indiana, 20 of whom were men."

This is the transcript from the prosecution closing to the prelim (just before Murphy made his decision).

They believe that Suzanne made these requests herself.

Attachments

• IMG_6801.jpeg
    IMG_6801.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 47
apologies if this has been posted already

Hurlbert told the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel that he “did not voice disapproval of DA Stanley’s plan to have an investigator interview Iris Lama because he felt that Judge Lama was biased against him.”

Hurlbert responded, “That is very interesting. I was thinking about a motion to recuse.” He later texted that Lama was “obviously biased.”

"Holy crap! Yes, let’s go after him! He should have disclosed this,” responded Bob Weiner.

The agency filed a complaint in October against Stanley. Her nine-day hearing starts on June 11 and will see witnesses, testimony and exhibits.

What is different from a regular trial is “instead of being heard by a judge, three individuals will hear the case,” according to Office of Regulation Counsel Jessica Yates.

here's the thing..

Hurlbert was brought into the case in July 2021, a month before the preliminary hearing. Attorney Bob Weiner was brought into the case in November 2021 to help out in the months leading up to the trial.

they had so little time to prepare..

The Facebook thing reminds me of this:
BM was on a mission to find Suzanne's boyfriend.

Over and over, he talked about Suzanne's "drinking problem" (IPAs! Ha!), her "drug use" (ha! Prescribed chemo/pain meds), her unlovingness, and her impaired and ballsy judgment. I don't think he much respected her (dramatic understatement)... and while he couldn't fault another man for coveting his wife, who he considered to be the most beautiful woman between Mile Markers 50 and 87, he wasn't about to let some man undo his family.

If BM learned via Facebook the identity of Suzanne's silly online crush, I think he would have hunted HIM down and CRUSHED him. Roast his chestnuts.

I think he thought, by eliminating Suzanne's idle plaything, she'd come to her senses and not divorce him.

It wasn't until his cameras picked up a very flushed and fully engaged Suzanne swapping ideas over the naughtynet, that he blew. No wife of his....

JMO

"Sometime that night

fB would know..
eta but it would take them about 12 months to pass the info on.. they're not fast at all.

I just thought of something. Did BM ever offer a public statement thanking LE for finding his wife? I feel like Moorman's issued one.

What huh, BM? Aren't you glad she's been recovered?

Did he double down, vowing to find whoever is responsible for killing her?

Throwing the bike was dumb. Mountain lions can't throw and bushy haired abductors can't take the time to do that when they're wrestling 50 year old housewives into their imaginary vans.

Oh, Barry.

Barry never thanked LE for finding Suzanne, perhaps he should donate the reward money from his video plea, no questions asked, or in Barry's case, answered.
Instead Iris had a sly comment about how the daughters weren't informed by LE iirc - classy.

moo

apologies if this has been posted already

Hurlbert told the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel that he “did not voice disapproval of DA Stanley’s plan to have an investigator interview Iris Lama because he felt that Judge Lama was biased against him.”

Hurlbert responded, “That is very interesting. I was thinking about a motion to recuse.” He later texted that Lama was “obviously biased.”

"Holy crap! Yes, let’s go after him! He should have disclosed this,” responded Bob Weiner.

The agency filed a complaint in October against Stanley. Her nine-day hearing starts on June 11 and will see witnesses, testimony and exhibits.

What is different from a regular trial is “instead of being heard by a judge, three individuals will hear the case,” according to Office of Regulation Counsel Jessica Yates.

here's the thing..

Hurlbert was brought into the case in July 2021, a month before the preliminary hearing. Attorney Bob Weiner was brought into the case in November 2021 to help out in the months leading up to the trial.

they had so little time to prepare..
Yes this all started going downhill when the arrest warrant was issued despite the CBI advice that it was too soon and despite what in hindsight was a disorganized DAs office. A rookie mistake on LS’s part in my opinion with a difficult case to prosecute.

Barry never thanked LE for finding Suzanne, perhaps he should donate the reward money from his video plea, no questions asked, or in Barry's case, answered.
Instead Iris had a sly comment about how the daughters weren't informed by LE iirc - classy.

moo
This is the biggest red flag for me, BM showing no gratitude to the searchers that found Suzanne's remains. One would really think BM would be effusively grateful that his dear wife's remains had been found......so they could find the real culprit.

But then again, he knew the culprit was himself and he knew it was bad news for him when Suzanne's remains were found. I truly believe there must have been some forensic evidence found with Suzanne.

Lets all hope this all leads to trial soon, with a guilty verdict.

JMO

This is the biggest red flag for me, BM showing no gratitude to the searchers that found Suzanne's remains. One would really think BM would effusively grateful that his dear wife's remains had been found......so they could find the real culprit.

But then again, he knew the culprit was himself and he knew it was bad news for him when Suzanne's remains were found. I truly believe there must have been some forensic evidence found with Suzanne.

Lets all hope this all leads to trial soon, with a guilty verdict.

JMO
Your avatar is cracking me up! Yes the mountain lion was exonerated in this case.

He wouldn’t let her have FB male friends.

Just… wow.
Oh, I was thinking when I read it that Barry made the requests after her death to make it look like it was from her... Sometimes killers will do that with phone messages, emails/texts/cards to make it look like the victim is still alive.

He wouldn’t let her have FB male friends.

Just… wow.
In an investigation like this, anything out of the normal typically means something. This was a huge anomaly, and either meant that Barry was fishing, or Suzanne was sticking it to him by doing what she wanted to do. Heck, this could have really angered him and been part of the motive.

Oh, I was thinking when I read it that Barry made the requests after her death to make it look like it was from her... Sometimes killers will do that with phone messages, emails/texts/cards to make it look like the victim is still alive.
Yeah, we've certainly seen that on here. Another Colorado case comes to mind (Kelsey Berreth), when the accomplice sent text messages pretending to be her. The timing doesn't allow for it here though, as Suzanne was very much alive at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobkat107