Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #114

-In her testimony Tuesday, Stanley defended her comments on the YouTube show “Profiling Evil” as appropriate and denied state attorneys’ allegations that her mere appearance on the show implied Morphew was guilty or evil.

“No, absolutely not,” she said on the stand. “That is not why (the show) was named that. So no, I’m not saying anyone was evil.”

She also testified that comments she subsequently wrote on the YouTube video about the strength of the evidence in the Morphew case were written in a personal capacity, not professional.

“Obviously I have my personal photo up there, not a district attorney photo,” she said of the comments. “I am responding as a person, not as a district attorney.”

“…So as long as you use your personal picture you can say whatever you need to say to defend yourself in the Barry Morphew case?” questioned Erin Kristofco, with the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel.

“I never said that,” Stanley responded.

-Lawyers from the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel laid blame for the failed prosecution on Stanley’s poor leadership during her disciplinary hearing. On Tuesday, she defended her management style in court, saying that she did not need to specifically designate a lead prosecutor on the Morphew case.

“Your implication I needed to crown somebody with the title of lead prosecutor in order for this case to go OK doesn’t hold water,” she testified in response to questions from Kristofco. “They knew what their jobs were. I knew what their jobs were… and there was never any confusion.”

During the at-times heated testimony, Stanley repeatedly said she was uncomfortable answering questions about her prosecution of Morphew, noting that prosecutors may re-file the charges against Morphew after his wife’s body was discovered in a shallow grave near Moffat in September.

But when asked several times about the theory of the case, she said prosecutors initially believed Morphew used a gun to shoot a tranquilizer dart at his wife, but said they later believed no gun was used.

-In her testimony Tuesday, Stanley defended her comments on the YouTube show “Profiling Evil” as appropriate and denied state attorneys’ allegations that her mere appearance on the show implied Morphew was guilty or evil.

“No, absolutely not,” she said on the stand. “That is not why (the show) was named that. So no, I’m not saying anyone was evil.”

She also testified that comments she subsequently wrote on the YouTube video about the strength of the evidence in the Morphew case were written in a personal capacity, not professional.

“Obviously I have my personal photo up there, not a district attorney photo,” she said of the comments. “I am responding as a person, not as a district attorney.”

“…So as long as you use your personal picture you can say whatever you need to say to defend yourself in the Barry Morphew case?” questioned Erin Kristofco, with the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel.

-Lawyers from the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel laid blame for the failed prosecution on Stanley’s poor leadership during her disciplinary hearing. On Tuesday, she defended her management style in court, saying that she did not need to specifically designate a lead prosecutor on the Morphew case.

“Your implication I needed to crown somebody with the title of lead prosecutor in order for this case to go OK doesn’t hold water,” she testified in response to questions from Kristofco. “They knew what their jobs were. I knew what their jobs were… and there was never any confusion.”

During the at-times heated testimony, Stanley repeatedly said she was uncomfortable answering questions about her prosecution of Morphew, noting that prosecutors may re-file the charges against Morphew after his wife’s body was discovered in a shallow grave near Moffat in September.

But when asked several times about the theory of the case, she said prosecutors initially believed Morphew used a gun to shoot a tranquilizer dart at his wife, but said they later believed no gun was used.
I wondered if LS’s YouTube comments would come up. I wish i could remember what she said. Saw some screenshots of them on Twitter back then, but couldn’t post them here because they weren’t from approved sources.
JMO

I'm not sure on this because I wouldn't have watched the episode if TIR dude was still appearing on Mike's YT. MSM, reporting on a LS complaint to OARC, cites the August 30, 2021 Choir Practice episode which was after the prelim concluded. I'll look for it now.

Here it is and no CM/TIR.

I believe CM got his walking papers from Mike not long after Andy's search for Suzanne which I think took place a almost a year before the date of this YT episode.

Interesting to see the comments here complimentary of LS-- including the first comment which is by a defense attorney also known to WS.

Doubling down. Not a good look.

I thought her comments at the time were very generic and very DAspeak, both after his arrest and on the podcast. They arrested him so obviously they believed he was guilty and it would be proven in the court of law. It is probably to MikeKing's credit she DIDN'T barry herself on the show because I felt it was measured and didn't get into BM's case, evidence or guilt. But still, the optics are bad. She should know that.

But the second part? No need to assign a lead to the biggest case they had going? She's going to stand behind that Very Bad Decision?

They were up against IE, a formidable opponent. You don't GIVE HER a great big door to plow through.

There's no room for administrative errors, even late by a day, when IE is right there, scouting for them.

The sanctions IMO were wrong, unfair, disproportionate but I am STUNNED she's satisfied with her decision not to name a lead prosecutor. Crown? Like it was some sort of ego contest?

I'm out of words.

JMO

^^rsbm

I think it was during the prelim when defense argued that BM's dart gun was broken that it was opined by I think Agent Grusing (??) that the .22 was capable of shooting a dart. I don't think it long after the prelim that this notion that a dart could be fired by a .22 was determined incorrect. That said in what became the typical IE move-- I recall the defense Motion hearing with Lama in Feb 2022 when Prosecutor Weiner made a notable effort to correct the record about the .22 not firing a dart after the defense tried to re-argue what had otherwise been settled. Actually, I recall more than one prior defense Motion that was tweaked by the defense for their new audience (Lama). I believe I linked Lama's appointment by Chief Justice Boatright earlier in this thread which was sometime in January 2022. MOO

ETA: Correction, seems it was the prosecution (Edwards) and not Agent Grusing who opined the .22 could shoot a dart.

From a transcript of the Motions hearing held Feb 2022 included in IE's 89 page complaint against LS filed with OARC that IE made public on her website:

1718761753176.png

Last edited:
I thought her comments at the time were very generic and very DAspeak, both after his arrest and on the podcast. They arrested him so obviously they believed he was guilty and it would be proven in the court of law. It is probably to MikeKing's credit she DIDN'T barry herself on the show because I felt it was measured and didn't get into BM's case, evidence or guilt. But still, the optics are bad. She should know that.
^^rsbm

It wasn't the episode that proved fatal but when she foolishly engaged with the public in the YT comment sections! Those were the screen shots I started seeing and scratching my head because I heard no such thing during the live. I later found them in the YT comments. Just couldn't ignore them I guess which was two bushels of stupid! JMO

^^rsbm

I think it was during the prelim when defense argued that BM's dart gun was broken that it was opined by I think Agent Grusing (??) that the .22 was capable of shooting a dart. I don't think it long after the prelim that this notion that a dart could be fired by a .22 was determined incorrect. That said in what became the typical IE move-- I recall the defense Motion hearing with Lama in Feb 2022 when Prosecutor Weiner made a notable effort to correct the record about the .22 not firing a dart after the defense tried to re-argue what had otherwise been settled. Actually, I recall more than one prior defense Motion that was tweaked by the defense for their new audience (Lama). I believe I linked Lama's appointment by Chief Justice Boatright earlier in this thread which was sometime in January 2022. MOO
I nene understood the argument here. He got rid of evidence all day, whatever he'd used in the past to fire darts, he pitched. Reasonable to guess a .22 could do it because Barry copped to running around his house firing one. But that shouldn't mean it's all or nothing. He could have used a tranq gun which he barried; or because he's cheap, he modified a gun he already; or he did it manually. Investigations don't end one there's an arrest so I expect there were discoveries and adjustments along the way.

And now, a body. Which confirms much of their theory of the case.

That's a bad BAM! for Barry.

JMO

^^rsbm

^^This!!

I recall when IE filed the OARC complaint against LS on March 29, 2023, called a press conference to announce this-- and made the 89 page complaint public, I stated right then that IE very well knows BM's case was dismissed without prejudice, and believed she was setting trap and bait by making it public, and hoping LS would not only bite, but bite very hard, so she could later use any prejudicial statements by LS to fight any future prosecution of BM!

I recall despite MSM's best efforts to engage LS, she must have finally taken good advice and limited any public comment to something of the effect 'the 89 pages by IE were only allegations and that she is presumed innocent until proven guilty.'

And so here we are, the OARC trying to elicit testimony that could benefit BM's defense.

Funny, NOT funny, how the OARC is conducting this hearing...

MOO

Last edited:

From the above article:

[…]

Of appearing on the podcast, Kristofco asked, "You believed Mr. Morphew was guilty and you wanted to get others to agree with you, right?"

"Untrue," replied Stanley.

She added, "There were only 1,000 people in Colorado who watched that (the podcast 'Profiling Evil')."

She said that the chances of potential jurors hearing her comments were the same as winning the lottery.

[…]

Kristofco said that Stanley appeared on “Profiling Evil" three times — in June, August and September 2021 — to discuss the Morphew case, which the Office of Attorney Regulation Counsel said violates prosecutorial ethics.

King testified that his conversations with Stanley often involved their personal lives and were not solely about the Morphew case.

“If I ever got anything close to the sun, she’d say, ‘You know I’m not going to talk about that,’” he said.

Still, in June 2021, Stanley texted King in response to a Barry Morphew video he sent her, “We got him. No worries.”

Stanley's Sept. 30, 2021 appearance on "Profiling Evil" has 23,000 views. "Love DA Stanley. Wild respect," wrote one viewer.

But the title brings up ethical problems for a district attorney discussing an active case, said former Boulder District Attorney Stan Garnett during testimony last week.

“Appearing on this show is a problem,” said Garnett. “Talking about a case on a show called ‘Evil’ is in and of itself a statement.”

“No. I’m not saying anyone is evil,” countered Stanley Tuesday, who said she did not name the podcast.

[…]

^^rsbm

ETA: Correction, seems it was the prosecution (Edwards) and not Agent Grusing who opined the .22 could shoot a dart.

From a transcript of the Motions hearing held Feb 2022 included in IE's 89 page complaint against LS filed with OARC that IE made public on her website:

View attachment 511496

Thanks for this @Seattle1 ! Don't think i'd seen it before.

IMO the problem for BM has always been that there wasn't a working dart gun, because of his story about shooting deer on his property shortly before SMs murder. What gun did he use? This is the kind of reason why he can't give a depo in his civil trial.

“Appearing on this show is a problem,” said Garnett. “Talking about a case on a show called ‘Evil’ is in and of itself a statement.”

“No. I’m not saying anyone is evil,” countered Stanley Tuesday, who said she did not name the podcast.

[…]

RSBM

Personally I think the DA and LE should only make generic comments that do not go beyond the scope of their filings. They should speak about the case in Court. Statements outside of court should just be the usual about how they've made an arrest, look forward to proving their case, thanks to the public etc.

Yes it was idiotic to go on the podcast let alone post comments IMO.

All that said, there is a a lot of handwringing here.

They charged with BM with cold blooded murder of his wife. The name of the podcast isn't adding a lot.

But the title brings up ethical problems for a district attorney discussing an active case, said former Boulder District Attorney Stan Garnett during testimony last week.

^^Rsbm

I first heard this "Evil" argument by Ramsey Lama.
I found it ridiculous then and it hasn't improved over time. It's still stupid to turn the focus on a title versus the actual program content!

American stunt performer and entertainer Evel Knievel (pronounced Evil) was perhaps the world's most legendary daredevil-- my brother and I were obsessed with EK! I never learned his stage name wasn't "Evil" Knievel" until his death.

I'm suddenly curious what Garnett would think about a U.S. District Court Judge seen shopping for EK toys? Seek to interview the U.S. Postmaster, subpoena the U.S. Customs Form identifying the kids receiving the Evil Dolls, mini ramp and mini stunt bikes?

Just not seeing this any different than Garnett saying an individual named Evel Knievel would be barred from holding the office of District Attorney because his name sounds like Evil. MOO

Colorado attorneys take an oath that includes a pledge to follow the Colorado Rules of Professional Conduct. In general, the Rules require a high degree of honesty and integrity while acknowledging the tension between those standards and the attorney's duties to his client. They specifically require that attorneys refrain from making claims and arguments that have no basis in law or fact, and they limit what an attorney can say about a pending case in any statement to the public.

Thanks! I am not so familiar with how this all works in the US.

IMO, Eytan has pushed the limits of the rules but hasn't crossed the line. Her public statements have referred to official pleadings for the factual allegations and legal arguments, which the rules allow, and expressed personal opinions like, "This is the worst prosecutorial misconduct I've ever seen," which is also allowed.

I agree with this part, but I am not so sure why she personally endorses the factual innocence of her client. She had seen the same evidence as us so this always seemed risky. And of course now it looks professionally foolish. There was always a decent chance the body would turn up and incriminate her client. I am old school, so to me, this is the kind of thing you don't do - especially because your reputation is your calling card with clients and in court. It feels to me this is increasingly how everyone rolls these days? Why say "my client asserts his innocence" when you can just say "my client is innocent". Maybe I am too old and naive o_O

With respect to Grusing, in her civil complaint Eytan made the factual allegation that he lied to Morphew, which is true, and the legal argument that it was a violation of her client's rights, which does not describe the current law but which could be considered a good faith argument for change.

OK this is so in my wheelhouse. What lie do you believe Grusing told?

The data itself shows the 'chipmunk hunt', and the left turn on it's face. That is how Grusing knew to ask about the left turn for example. The question is how do you explain it? IMO it is not unreasonable for Grusing to put the prima facie conclusion to BM i.e. that the data simply reflects the location of his phone.

IMO it is not lying that Grusing didn't say "well this data might not be 100% accurate". The data is the data and he asked the suspect for an explanation. It isn't the agents job to give BM exculpatory theories? After all, static drift or inaccurate location data on the left turn is simply speculation. The defendant on the other hand knows what he did, and can answer accurately from personal knowledge.

For a long time, Eytan has been a respected leader in the criminal defense bar seeking to correct a very real problem - widespread violations by prosecutors of their ethical obligations to disclose discoverable information. As public and over the top as she has been in this case, it has all been a good faith effort to address a real problem that undermines public confidence that our system treats criminal defendants fairly.

I respectfully disagree that Eytan is undermining public institutions by attacking Linda Stanley's ethical lapses and trying to make a case for civil damages. It is Colorado prosecutors who have created this problem that undermined the credibility of the judicial system, not critics who have pointed out their failures.

All MOO.

Thanks for the discussion!

MOO

As much as I sincerely loathe BM (a wife killer IMO) and his overpriced mouthpiece IE, LS did not do the original case any favors by making her public comments. It was an ongoing, active case and her only comment should have been "No comment" IMO.

I truly do not believe she had any ill intent, she's a 'tell it like it is kind of person'. I think she just got caught up in her desire to see BM found guilty as much as we all did, but her culpability level is much higher than ours as 'armchair detectives' on an internet site.

This mingling of DA's, lawyers, etc. speaking on Social Media, Podcasts, YouTube etc. involved on active cases is hurting the judicial process IMO. Save the battle for Courtroom and then talk about it all day long once a verdict is reached. Too many chances for problems, ie sanctions, appeals, etc.

Good news is that I have every confidence that BM will be retried and found guilty. I hope he doesn't off himself or head to Mexico before they can lock him up in his cage for the rest of his days. He will be the hunted then, not the fake hunter he pretended to be in real life.

JMO

Thanks for this @Seattle1 ! Don't think i'd seen it before.

IMO the problem for BM has always been that there wasn't a working dart gun, because of his story about shooting deer on his property shortly before SMs murder. What gun did he use? This is the kind of reason why he can't give a depo in his civil trial.
That gun info is so frustrating, because there was certainly a follow up once they realized the tranquilizer gun in his garage wasn’t working. It sounds like this theory was discussed a decent amount yesterday, but all we have is a vague statement saying that the theory changed.

What the hell did it change to?!

OK this is so in my wheelhouse. What lie do you believe Grusing told?

The data itself shows the 'chipmunk hunt', and the left turn on it's face. That is how Grusing knew to ask about the left turn for example. The question is how do you explain it? IMO it is not unreasonable for Grusing to put the prima facie conclusion to BM i.e. that the data simply reflects the location of his phone.

IMO it is not lying that Grusing didn't say "well this data might not be 100% accurate". The data is the data and he asked the suspect for an explanation. It isn't the agents job to give BM exculpatory theories? After all, static drift or inaccurate location data on the left turn is simply speculation. The defendant on the other hand knows what he did, and can answer accurately from personal knowledge. RSBM

As best I can without a searchable copy of the civil complaint, I have pasted below the sections where Morphew claims that Grusing lied to him and elicited statements based on those lies that were used against Morphew in the AA. See specifically, paragraphs marked in red. These claims are part of his larger argument that the AA was substantially false and misleading, and resulted in a finding of probable cause for arrest that had no true factual basis.

I agree with you. Grusing may have prevaricated, but even assuming that the factual allegations about Grusing are true, current case law allows LE to lie about the evidence they have to elicit inculpatory statements from a person of interest. Grusing had no obligation to be fully forthcoming with BM.

--------

2. False GPS Phone Locations - “Pushpin” Map

214. The Arrest Warrant Affidavit states that Barry chased Suzanne Morphew around their home on May 9, 2020 at 2:44-2:45 p.m. Arrest Affidavit, p. 126.

215. The Arrest Affidavit claims this is the time period when Barry allegedly caused the death of Suzanne.

216. The Arrest Affidavit includes “Attachment 6”, which is described as “An estimate of the activity of Barry's phone as it appears to move from porch to porch, which he [Barry] explained by chasing and shooting a chipmunk.” The following image was presented:

DBM

217. Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit knew this was a false and misleading allegation.

218. Defendants knew this was false and misleading because an FBI Report (“the CAST Report”) alerted them to this fact and an FBI Specialist had alerted Defendant Cahill of this in an email, as described below.

219. The above pushpin map, if believed, would mean that Barry was moving 36.8 to 50 miles per hour from point to point, through the walls of his home.

220. If Barry was moving around the walls of his home he would have had to travel even faster than 50 miles an hour.

221. On June 2, 2020, Defendants Cahill and Grusing learned from FBI Special Agent Hoyland that “data” used to “pinpoint” Barry’s movements was unreliable.

222. FBI Special Agent Kevin Hoyland was with the FBI’s Cellular Analysis Survey Team (C.A.S.T.), which interpreted data from Barry’s cell phone.

223. Special Agent Hoyland wrote:

“As an FYI, one of the challenges in determining movement with GPS readings in such a tight area is that there is a phenomenon known as static drift wherein a stationary device can mistakenly be shown to be moving because of the number of satellites taking measurements and their corresponding locations to the stationary device. Or it could be him walking around the property. Just hard to say but I would be cautious in jumping right to the conclusion that he was bouncing around his property at these hours.”

224. The complete June 2, 2020, email from FBI Hoyland is:

DBM

225. As shown above, Agent Grusing forwarded the email to Defendant Cahill the same day he received it.

226. At page 27 of the CAST Report, the FBI illustrates the phenomenon of static drift and cautions that “[m]ore analysis is needed to determine the frequency of such anomalous data in and around the residence.”

227. This critical exculpatory information showed that the Arrest Affidavit statements about Barry supposedly having been moving rapidly around his property were purposely misleading.

228. Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit knew this information was highly material and exculpatory.

229. This exculpatory information was purposely omitted from the Arrest Affidavit and the email was concealed from the defense and the court.

230. The Defendant Prosecutors concealed this June 2020 email until it was produced in late January 2022.

231. The Arrest Affidavit included false and misleading statements about GPS phone location data allegedly showing where Barry drove his truck in the early morning hours of May 10, 2020.

232. In the Arrest Affidavit, Defendants stated that Barry’s truck drove nearby where Suzanne’s bicycle helmet was later discovered.

233. Defendants’ theory was that Barry intentionally discarded Suzanne’s helmet in that location in order to “stage” an abduction.

234. Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit knew that the GPS phone locator detail was unreliable because of the “static drift” phenomenon.

235. Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit also knew that there were no truck telematics5 indicating the truck was in that area between May 9 and May 10.

236. Defendant Cahill expressly warned other Defendants and co-conspirators about the unreliability of such data, including Defendants Graham, Rohrich, Lindsey, Walker, Grusing, and Harris.

237. Defendant Cahill received a recommendation from a technical engineering firm that, even though inaccurate and unreliable, the GPS location data could be used to “squeeze” Barry during interrogations. Defendant Cahill forwarded this recommendation to Defendant Rohrich:

5 “Telematics”is a term describing technology whereby a computer within automobiles and trucks can capture events occurring in and around the vehicle, e.g., doors and windows opening and closing, the motor running and being shut off, etc. and essentially provide a digital blueprint of the vehicle’s activity.

238. Defendants FBI Agents Grusing and Harris lied to Barry about the alleged phone location data during the numerous interrogations with him.

239. Upon information and belief, these interrogations were conducted and/or reviewed and utilized by Defendants Cahill, Graham, Walker, Rohrich, Spezze, Stanley, Lindsey, and other defendants and co-conspirators as described herein, all of whom knew that false and misleading information was being presented in the Affidavit and that material, exculpatory information was being omitted.

240. Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit, and other Defendants and co-conspirators whose identities are not known to Mr. Morphew at this time, included false information in the Arrest Affidavit garnered from lying to Barry about his movements on the day on May 10, 2020.

241. The Defendants stated in the Arrest Affidavit that Barry was “blaming.... a chipmunk for why he was running around his house after arriving home at 2:44 PM, and the firing a gun of a .22 caliber to describe his violence towards Suzanne that afternoon and the caliber of the tranquilizer darts.” Arrest Affidavit, p. 125.

242. The Arrest Affidavit does not disclose that the map and the GPS phone data underlying it were fabricated and not based on any reliable science.

243. The “pushpin map” was not the only subject matter in the Arrest Affidavit that relayed false and misleading information about alleged locations of Barry’s phone based on GPS location data.

244. On page 34 and 35, the Arrest Affidavit states:

The location activities registered by Barry's phone were abnormally high in frequency during the late nights and early morning hours of May 8-9, 2020 and May 9-10, 2020 while at the Morphew residence. (Arrest Affidavit, p. 34)...That May 9-10, 2020 night, approximately 210 locations for Barry's phone registered near the Morphew residence, compared to zero-to-two locations on previous nights from May 1st through May 8th. (Arrest Affidavit, p. 35).

245. Just as above, when the Defendants who authored the Arrest Affidavit wrote these statements, they knew they were false and misleading and knew the GPS location data from Barry’s phone (or any phone) was unreliable.

246. In relevant part, the Arrest Affidavit states: (1) “Barry blamed... a chipmunk for why he was running around his house after arriving home at 2:44 PM...” (Arrest Affidavit, p. 125) and (2) “Barry says he is running around the house, most likely chasing Suzanne while she is conscious.” (Arrest Affidavit, p. 126).

247. That is false. Barry did not “blame” a chipmunk, he did not say “he is running around the house,” and certainly did not say he was “most likely chasing Suzanne...”

248. When confronted with the fabricated “pinpoint” map, Barry merely said that he was in the habit of shooting chipmunks.

249. In making that statement, Barry was responding to fictitious and false information being provided to him by Defendants about his supposed movements on May 9, 2020.

250. The above false and misleading information about GPS phone locations and omitted exculpatory information about GPS phone locations were material to a finding of probable cause.

3. Falsehoods and Omissions about Barry’s Phone on May 9, 2020

253. The Defendants who authored the Arrest Affidavit stated that forensic evidence showed that Barry’s phone was turned off or placed on “airplane mode” for 8 hours on May 9, 2020 starting at 2:47 p.m.

254. Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit included the “airplane mode” assertingBarry purposefully placed his phone in airplane mode in order to conceal his location while he was hiding Suzanne’s body and evidence of the alleged murder.

255. The Arrest Affidavit alleges that Barry arrived home on Saturday afternoon around 2:30 p.m., at 2:44 p.m. he chased Suzanne around the house, and at 2:47 p.m. he placed his phone in airplane mode.

256. The Arrest Affidavit alleges that Barry intentionally kept his phone in airplane mode throughout the evening until Saturday night at 10:30 pm. Arrest Affidavit, pp. 77, 90, 99.

257. The Arrest Affidavit states: “On May 9th, at 2:47 PM, Barry's phone appears to enter Airplane Mode” (Arrest Affidavit, p. 34).

258. The Arrest Affidavit states: and “On May 9th, at 10:17 PM, an ‘airplane mode off’ event started on Barry's phone” Arrest Affidavit, p. 35.

259. Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit mentioned “airplane mode” 24 times in the Affidavit.

260. It is false that the phone was in airplane mode for eight (8) hours as represented by the Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit.

261. On June 24 and 25, 2020, Defendants Walker, Cahill, Grusing, Adams, Hysjulien, Burgess and Rohrich, received or were forwarded an email and a chart from a FBI expert that explained the airplane mode phenomenon.

262. The June 24, 2020 email and chart explained that Barry’s phone was not in airplane mode for even one hour, nor intentionally placed in airplane mode, and if it was in airplane mode it was for less than a minute and when the phone was powering down or powering up.

263. The Defendants who authored the Arrest Affidavit did not disclose these highly exculpatory facts in the June 24, 2020 FBI email and chart but instead inserted only the 24 false and misleading statements about the “airplane mode.”

264. The Defendants concealed this June 24, 2020 email and chart analyzing the airplane mode phenomenon from the defense until late January 2022.

265. During Defendants Grusing and Harris’ interviews with Barry in March and April 2021, Defendants Grusing and Harris lied to Barry telling him that he intentionally placed his phone in airplane mode for hours on May 9th to prevent detection of his movements.

266. The Defendants who authored the Arrest Affidavit stated “Barry admitted to running around their property with a gun and placing his phone in Airplane Mode at 2:47 PM.” Arrest Affidavit, p. 2.

267. That is a false statement.

268. On page 75 of the Arrest Affidavit, it states that Barry “demonstrated how he placed his phone in Airplane Mode.” This statement is misleading and included out of context.

269. On March 5, 2021, during the (approximate) 30th interview of Mr. Morphew, FBI Agent Grusing (Grusing) told Barry that his phone was in airplane mode on May 9, 2020, to which Barry told him he did not recall putting his phone in airplane mode.

270. Defendant Grusing then told Barry that his phone was definitively in airplane mode from 2:47 p.m. to 10:18 p.m. on May 9, 2020, and added that if Barry accidentally put his phone on airplane mode, then he also must have accidentally turned it off, questioning Barry’s veracity.

271. In response to these statements, Barry told Defendant Grusing, “It’s the first thing that comes up when you hit settings. If that happened, it was probably an accident. I do not recall that.”

272. The Defendants authoring the Affidavit inserted these false and misleading statements about Barry intentionally putting his phone in airplane mode for eight hours as it was critical to sell their false theory that Barry was attempting to cover up his location, after he supposedly murdered Suzanne right after supposedly chased her around the house at 35-50 miles per hour to subdue her.

273. Furthermore, the Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit knew that the area in Colorado – specifically in and around the Morphew home, and the Maysville area to Poncha Springs had virtually no cell phone reception and cellular data is scant and imprecise

274. The Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit did not include the exculpatory facts that there is little to no cell reception and the cellular data collected from the area of Barry’s home and Maysville is imprecise.

275. The Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit omitted these exculpatory facts as it would have significantly weakened their theory that Barry murdered Suzanne as their theory was largely based on the “alleged” movements of Barry’s phone.

276. The Arrest Affidavit states that Barry’s phone contained “deleted web searches” of pornographic and/or dating sites on January 7, 8, 24, and 25, 2020. Arrest Affidavit, pp. 32-33.

277. By referring to these as “deleted web searches on Barry’s phone,” the Arrest Affidavit implies that Barry was actively searching and/or visiting these sites.

278. This statement was false. These were not manual searches or even visits made to these sites, rather (similar to a pop-up advertisement), his phone was redirected to these sites.

279. The Defendants either knew this inflammatory and irrelevant information was false or utterly failed to conduct a reasonable forensic investigation that would have readily disclosed the true facts.

280. In a footnote, the Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit quote Barry’s response when asked if he had ever searched online to meet other women (he replied, “No, never”). Arrest Affidavit, p. 33, footnote 38. Because the true facts had been omitted, the Arrest Affidavit makes it look like Barry was lying, when in fact he was telling the truth and a reasonable forensic investigation would have readily revealed that.

281. The Arrest Affidavit claims Barry had a second cell phone that was not located. “Possible Second Device for Barry.” Arrest Affidavit, p. 42.

282. This statement was false.

283. The Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit knew this statement was false as the 2020 Search Warrant Return from Apple provided information to show that was not correct.

284. The Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit knew from the 2020 Search Warrant Return from Apple that the “second device” identifier is not a second “device” or phone, but instead likely identifies that Barry and Suzanne’s iPhones were connected to the same iCloud account for a while.

285. This falsehood is significant and material because of the implication that Barry was lying, concealing material evidence, and otherwise behaving in a culpable manner.

As best I can without a searchable copy of the civil complaint, I have pasted below the sections where Morphew claims that Grusing lied to him and elicited statements based on those lies that were used against Morphew in the AA. See specifically, paragraphs marked in red. These claims are part of his larger argument that the AA was substantially false and misleading, and resulted in a finding of probable cause for arrest that had no true factual basis.

I agree with you. Grusing may have prevaricated, but even assuming that the factual allegations about Grusing are true, current case law allows LE to lie about the evidence they have to elicit inculpatory statements from a person of interest. Grusing had no obligation to be fully forthcoming with BM.

--------

2. False GPS Phone Locations - “Pushpin” Map

214. The Arrest Warrant Affidavit states that Barry chased Suzanne Morphew around their home on May 9, 2020 at 2:44-2:45 p.m. Arrest Affidavit, p. 126.

215. The Arrest Affidavit claims this is the time period when Barry allegedly caused the death of Suzanne.

216. The Arrest Affidavit includes “Attachment 6”, which is described as “An estimate of the activity of Barry's phone as it appears to move from porch to porch, which he [Barry] explained by chasing and shooting a chipmunk.” The following image was presented:

DBM

217. Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit knew this was a false and misleading allegation.

218. Defendants knew this was false and misleading because an FBI Report (“the CAST Report”) alerted them to this fact and an FBI Specialist had alerted Defendant Cahill of this in an email, as described below.

219. The above pushpin map, if believed, would mean that Barry was moving 36.8 to 50 miles per hour from point to point, through the walls of his home.

220. If Barry was moving around the walls of his home he would have had to travel even faster than 50 miles an hour.

221. On June 2, 2020, Defendants Cahill and Grusing learned from FBI Special Agent Hoyland that “data” used to “pinpoint” Barry’s movements was unreliable.

222. FBI Special Agent Kevin Hoyland was with the FBI’s Cellular Analysis Survey Team (C.A.S.T.), which interpreted data from Barry’s cell phone.

223. Special Agent Hoyland wrote:

“As an FYI, one of the challenges in determining movement with GPS readings in such a tight area is that there is a phenomenon known as static drift wherein a stationary device can mistakenly be shown to be moving because of the number of satellites taking measurements and their corresponding locations to the stationary device. Or it could be him walking around the property. Just hard to say but I would be cautious in jumping right to the conclusion that he was bouncing around his property at these hours.”

224. The complete June 2, 2020, email from FBI Hoyland is:

DBM

225. As shown above, Agent Grusing forwarded the email to Defendant Cahill the same day he received it.

226. At page 27 of the CAST Report, the FBI illustrates the phenomenon of static drift and cautions that “[m]ore analysis is needed to determine the frequency of such anomalous data in and around the residence.”

227. This critical exculpatory information showed that the Arrest Affidavit statements about Barry supposedly having been moving rapidly around his property were purposely misleading.

228. Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit knew this information was highly material and exculpatory.

229. This exculpatory information was purposely omitted from the Arrest Affidavit and the email was concealed from the defense and the court.

230. The Defendant Prosecutors concealed this June 2020 email until it was produced in late January 2022.

231. The Arrest Affidavit included false and misleading statements about GPS phone location data allegedly showing where Barry drove his truck in the early morning hours of May 10, 2020.

232. In the Arrest Affidavit, Defendants stated that Barry’s truck drove nearby where Suzanne’s bicycle helmet was later discovered.

233. Defendants’ theory was that Barry intentionally discarded Suzanne’s helmet in that location in order to “stage” an abduction.

234. Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit knew that the GPS phone locator detail was unreliable because of the “static drift” phenomenon.

235. Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit also knew that there were no truck telematics5 indicating the truck was in that area between May 9 and May 10.

236. Defendant Cahill expressly warned other Defendants and co-conspirators about the unreliability of such data, including Defendants Graham, Rohrich, Lindsey, Walker, Grusing, and Harris.

237. Defendant Cahill received a recommendation from a technical engineering firm that, even though inaccurate and unreliable, the GPS location data could be used to “squeeze” Barry during interrogations. Defendant Cahill forwarded this recommendation to Defendant Rohrich:

5 “Telematics”is a term describing technology whereby a computer within automobiles and trucks can capture events occurring in and around the vehicle, e.g., doors and windows opening and closing, the motor running and being shut off, etc. and essentially provide a digital blueprint of the vehicle’s activity.

238. Defendants FBI Agents Grusing and Harris lied to Barry about the alleged phone location data during the numerous interrogations with him.

239. Upon information and belief, these interrogations were conducted and/or reviewed and utilized by Defendants Cahill, Graham, Walker, Rohrich, Spezze, Stanley, Lindsey, and other defendants and co-conspirators as described herein, all of whom knew that false and misleading information was being presented in the Affidavit and that material, exculpatory information was being omitted.

240. Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit, and other Defendants and co-conspirators whose identities are not known to Mr. Morphew at this time, included false information in the Arrest Affidavit garnered from lying to Barry about his movements on the day on May 10, 2020.

241. The Defendants stated in the Arrest Affidavit that Barry was “blaming.... a chipmunk for why he was running around his house after arriving home at 2:44 PM, and the firing a gun of a .22 caliber to describe his violence towards Suzanne that afternoon and the caliber of the tranquilizer darts.” Arrest Affidavit, p. 125.

242. The Arrest Affidavit does not disclose that the map and the GPS phone data underlying it were fabricated and not based on any reliable science.

243. The “pushpin map” was not the only subject matter in the Arrest Affidavit that relayed false and misleading information about alleged locations of Barry’s phone based on GPS location data.

244. On page 34 and 35, the Arrest Affidavit states:

The location activities registered by Barry's phone were abnormally high in frequency during the late nights and early morning hours of May 8-9, 2020 and May 9-10, 2020 while at the Morphew residence. (Arrest Affidavit, p. 34)...That May 9-10, 2020 night, approximately 210 locations for Barry's phone registered near the Morphew residence, compared to zero-to-two locations on previous nights from May 1st through May 8th. (Arrest Affidavit, p. 35).

245. Just as above, when the Defendants who authored the Arrest Affidavit wrote these statements, they knew they were false and misleading and knew the GPS location data from Barry’s phone (or any phone) was unreliable.

246. In relevant part, the Arrest Affidavit states: (1) “Barry blamed... a chipmunk for why he was running around his house after arriving home at 2:44 PM...” (Arrest Affidavit, p. 125) and (2) “Barry says he is running around the house, most likely chasing Suzanne while she is conscious.” (Arrest Affidavit, p. 126).

247. That is false. Barry did not “blame” a chipmunk, he did not say “he is running around the house,” and certainly did not say he was “most likely chasing Suzanne...”

248. When confronted with the fabricated “pinpoint” map, Barry merely said that he was in the habit of shooting chipmunks.

249. In making that statement, Barry was responding to fictitious and false information being provided to him by Defendants about his supposed movements on May 9, 2020.

250. The above false and misleading information about GPS phone locations and omitted exculpatory information about GPS phone locations were material to a finding of probable cause.

3. Falsehoods and Omissions about Barry’s Phone on May 9, 2020

253. The Defendants who authored the Arrest Affidavit stated that forensic evidence showed that Barry’s phone was turned off or placed on “airplane mode” for 8 hours on May 9, 2020 starting at 2:47 p.m.

254. Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit included the “airplane mode” assertingBarry purposefully placed his phone in airplane mode in order to conceal his location while he was hiding Suzanne’s body and evidence of the alleged murder.

255. The Arrest Affidavit alleges that Barry arrived home on Saturday afternoon around 2:30 p.m., at 2:44 p.m. he chased Suzanne around the house, and at 2:47 p.m. he placed his phone in airplane mode.

256. The Arrest Affidavit alleges that Barry intentionally kept his phone in airplane mode throughout the evening until Saturday night at 10:30 pm. Arrest Affidavit, pp. 77, 90, 99.

257. The Arrest Affidavit states: “On May 9th, at 2:47 PM, Barry's phone appears to enter Airplane Mode” (Arrest Affidavit, p. 34).

258. The Arrest Affidavit states: and “On May 9th, at 10:17 PM, an ‘airplane mode off’ event started on Barry's phone” Arrest Affidavit, p. 35.

259. Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit mentioned “airplane mode” 24 times in the Affidavit.

260. It is false that the phone was in airplane mode for eight (8) hours as represented by the Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit.

261. On June 24 and 25, 2020, Defendants Walker, Cahill, Grusing, Adams, Hysjulien, Burgess and Rohrich, received or were forwarded an email and a chart from a FBI expert that explained the airplane mode phenomenon.

262. The June 24, 2020 email and chart explained that Barry’s phone was not in airplane mode for even one hour, nor intentionally placed in airplane mode, and if it was in airplane mode it was for less than a minute and when the phone was powering down or powering up.

263. The Defendants who authored the Arrest Affidavit did not disclose these highly exculpatory facts in the June 24, 2020 FBI email and chart but instead inserted only the 24 false and misleading statements about the “airplane mode.”

264. The Defendants concealed this June 24, 2020 email and chart analyzing the airplane mode phenomenon from the defense until late January 2022.

265. During Defendants Grusing and Harris’ interviews with Barry in March and April 2021, Defendants Grusing and Harris lied to Barry telling him that he intentionally placed his phone in airplane mode for hours on May 9th to prevent detection of his movements.

266. The Defendants who authored the Arrest Affidavit stated “Barry admitted to running around their property with a gun and placing his phone in Airplane Mode at 2:47 PM.” Arrest Affidavit, p. 2.

267. That is a false statement.

268. On page 75 of the Arrest Affidavit, it states that Barry “demonstrated how he placed his phone in Airplane Mode.” This statement is misleading and included out of context.

269. On March 5, 2021, during the (approximate) 30th interview of Mr. Morphew, FBI Agent Grusing (Grusing) told Barry that his phone was in airplane mode on May 9, 2020, to which Barry told him he did not recall putting his phone in airplane mode.

270. Defendant Grusing then told Barry that his phone was definitively in airplane mode from 2:47 p.m. to 10:18 p.m. on May 9, 2020, and added that if Barry accidentally put his phone on airplane mode, then he also must have accidentally turned it off, questioning Barry’s veracity.

271. In response to these statements, Barry told Defendant Grusing, “It’s the first thing that comes up when you hit settings. If that happened, it was probably an accident. I do not recall that.”

272. The Defendants authoring the Affidavit inserted these false and misleading statements about Barry intentionally putting his phone in airplane mode for eight hours as it was critical to sell their false theory that Barry was attempting to cover up his location, after he supposedly murdered Suzanne right after supposedly chased her around the house at 35-50 miles per hour to subdue her.

273. Furthermore, the Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit knew that the area in Colorado – specifically in and around the Morphew home, and the Maysville area to Poncha Springs had virtually no cell phone reception and cellular data is scant and imprecise

274. The Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit did not include the exculpatory facts that there is little to no cell reception and the cellular data collected from the area of Barry’s home and Maysville is imprecise.

275. The Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit omitted these exculpatory facts as it would have significantly weakened their theory that Barry murdered Suzanne as their theory was largely based on the “alleged” movements of Barry’s phone.

276. The Arrest Affidavit states that Barry’s phone contained “deleted web searches” of pornographic and/or dating sites on January 7, 8, 24, and 25, 2020. Arrest Affidavit, pp. 32-33.

277. By referring to these as “deleted web searches on Barry’s phone,” the Arrest Affidavit implies that Barry was actively searching and/or visiting these sites.

278. This statement was false. These were not manual searches or even visits made to these sites, rather (similar to a pop-up advertisement), his phone was redirected to these sites.

279. The Defendants either knew this inflammatory and irrelevant information was false or utterly failed to conduct a reasonable forensic investigation that would have readily disclosed the true facts.

280. In a footnote, the Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit quote Barry’s response when asked if he had ever searched online to meet other women (he replied, “No, never”). Arrest Affidavit, p. 33, footnote 38. Because the true facts had been omitted, the Arrest Affidavit makes it look like Barry was lying, when in fact he was telling the truth and a reasonable forensic investigation would have readily revealed that.

281. The Arrest Affidavit claims Barry had a second cell phone that was not located. “Possible Second Device for Barry.” Arrest Affidavit, p. 42.

282. This statement was false.

283. The Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit knew this statement was false as the 2020 Search Warrant Return from Apple provided information to show that was not correct.

284. The Defendants authoring the Arrest Affidavit knew from the 2020 Search Warrant Return from Apple that the “second device” identifier is not a second “device” or phone, but instead likely identifies that Barry and Suzanne’s iPhones were connected to the same iCloud account for a while.

285. This falsehood is significant and material because of the implication that Barry was lying, concealing material evidence, and otherwise behaving in a culpable manner.
Please provide a link to the actual document you are citing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ax445
Back