Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee Co, 10 May 2020 *Case dismissed w/o prejudice* *found in 2023* #115

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
True that the early arrest wasn't the primary issue, but in some ways it was an underlying issue to the issues that lead to this point. In my opinion it contributed to the poorly written AA, and the general disorganization and lack of planning. There were things that should have been in place prior to the arrest.

^^ Do you really think waiting to arrest BM after the 11th Judicial District had the money, staff, and resources would have made the difference-- given the daughters had just graduated and BM was packing up?

Also, it's long known that Walker attested to the fact both in the affidavit and as a witness at the prelim that he started drafting the AA immediately after SM was reported missing (which was prior to LS being elected DA). LS couldn't be more clear when their office received the actual AA which was following BM's arrest.

Transcript from PE Choir Practice w/LS:

51:58
time but I do have one other kind of I think a pretty interesting question to
52:03
me anyway and that was Linda you had this case for a year talk about that
52:09
well we didn't really have it for a year remember I mean we just arrested him on the fifth
52:15
which I wanted to talk about a little bit by the way anyway but anyway um we arrested him on the fifth so we
52:20
didn't have it for you it wasn't given to our office to begin the prosecution until after he's arrested like I said
52:26
everybody starts sending all their stuff through our Discovery portal and we start going through all of it trying to
52:32
organize it Etc but we're all still have dockets we're all still in court [in four counties] every day as well
52:38
it's important that to remember that as well

She looks like she stepped off the set of Eddie and the Cruisers 40 years too late.

^^Eddie and the Cruisers?? LS made plenty of mistakes as the DA but the fact that her wardrobe after a 16 hour day is a topic here amazes me.

First, the 11th District DA's Office is NOT located in Chaffee County (i.e., Salida) nor does LS reside in the County where BM was arrested -- it just happened to be one of four counties in the District.

But how noble to make fun of LS wardrobe, clothes she chose at 1:30AM--never expecting to address the pubic on that date.

I agree with @steeltowngirl -- "Yay," especially since we know how easy it is for a woman to leave the police force because she has young children she'd prefer to raise, and instead chose to drive a big rig for a US Mail carrier to attend law school at night-- just to throw it all away after serving as a public servant for for barely a decade.

well and you kind of mentioned you wanted to talk a little bit about that
52:44
go back and kind of revisit that for us well I I
52:57
think about that not that I care but it was it was just a little bit in my opinion anyway a little bit
53:03
um misguided so that people know I got a call late that night that the arrest
53:11
affidavit for Barry morphew was signed by the judge so we were going to go get him the next morning
53:16
so I had to set my alarm for 1 30 in the morning to drive up there and then wait for him
53:24
he did not leave at the time we thought he was going to early in the morning so I could have slept in for I don't know
53:30
another four hours or so but it I certainly was not going to be sitting there in a suit and I had no reason to
53:37
believe that it wasn't going to be just like Phillips where we arrested him and then we did the press conference the
53:43
following day but because it was right there on Highway 50. um and when the sun was up
53:50
so by the way you know before we even got back to the Sheriff's Office it was all over the place and so and I I said
53:56
to the public information officer there's no way I'm doing this right now and she said yes you are
54:02
so I did but it was cold that morning so I had my jacket on and I dress comfortable so I just want people to
54:09
know that normally I am in a suit every other time you've seen me but that day was a little different so for those who
54:16
are offended sorry not sorry I'm going to be comfortable at 1 30 in the morning I
54:22
have discovered that there's always someone that will have something to say about everything um and uh and I want you to know having
54:30
worked for prosecutors most of my career uh prosecutors when it's time to get
54:38
down and dirty and get out in the woods and help the officers especially on a
54:43
major case got to be able to get comfortable and go do their job and I was thrilled to see you that way and I

PE CHOIR PRACTICE #50

She tried to prosecute Barry, and failed miserably. I get it. It’s over for her. Not only over for Barry’s case, for all cases. She’s done. She has been disbarred. Her career wiped out. Now we can make fun of her clothing. Yay for us.

Meanwhile, Barry is living it up in Arizona or wherever he is.
He MURDERED his wife.

Seem fair to you?
Not so to me.

I’m angry.
Justice for Suzanne can’t come soon enough.

jmo

I am reassured by this Judgement that the BM case is not much impacted

LS was not disciplined for some discovery violations - that is more incompetence for which you deserve to lose your job.

She got caught leaking, and she went after a judge. Of course she is hardly the only DA in america to leak, but she got caught touching the hot stove. As for going after Lama - that was just dumb and bad and she deserved what she got IMO.

I say this as someone who agrees Judge Lama's decisions were outrageous. But your remedy is to appeal!

At least this ruling answered one of my main questions from the sanctions

In the motion for reconsideration, the state pointed out that IE had the expert reports all along ----> there was no detriment to BM here as regards the critical digital, CAST and BERLA evidence which was the guts of the case.

But i had wondered why the state was organised enough to show this after the critical hearing, but not at the hearing. We now know that due to failures in identifying critical documents, the state was not able to prove this to the judge, who prefered to go along with IE's claims. So the Judge got hoodwinked basically at the hearing basically, and then it was too late as he refused the reconsideration.

That is quite an epic failure. Indeed by comparison we've seen in the Delphi case how the prosecution has been able to defend against the same strategy by constantly pointing out in back and forth where stuff is, which creates a comms paper trail on these issues.

My uneducated understanding is that at least for these mission critical exhibits, the state sure needed to be able to stand up at the hearing and say to the Judge that IE definitely got these things and here's the paper trail (in the form of Identifier numbers).

So yeah - they simply were too disorganised on some very basic stuff, and didn't get their act together until the motion to reconsider which was some days too late to get on top of things because the Judge was done with it.

MOO

Remember how we were all shattered and dismayed when BM's case was dismissed (albeit without prejudice)? Given what has occurred since then, we can now see how it was for the best. God works in mysterious ways indeed.

^^ Do you really think waiting to arrest BM after the 11th Judicial District had the money, staff, and resources would have made the difference-- given the daughters had just graduated and BM was packing up?

Also, it's long known that Walker attested to the fact both in the affidavit and as a witness at the prelim that he started drafting the AA immediately after SM was reported missing (which was prior to LS being elected DA). LS couldn't be more clear when their office received the actual AA which was following BM's arrest.

Transcript from PE Choir Practice w/LS:

51:58
time but I do have one other kind of I think a pretty interesting question to
52:03
me anyway and that was Linda you had this case for a year talk about that
52:09
well we didn't really have it for a year remember I mean we just arrested him on the fifth
52:15
which I wanted to talk about a little bit by the way anyway but anyway um we arrested him on the fifth so we
52:20
didn't have it for you it wasn't given to our office to begin the prosecution until after he's arrested like I said
52:26
everybody starts sending all their stuff through our Discovery portal and we start going through all of it trying to
52:32
organize it Etc but we're all still have dockets we're all still in court [in four counties] every day as well
52:38
it's important that to remember that as well

^^Eddie and the Cruisers?? LS made plenty of mistakes as the DA but the fact that her wardrobe after a 16 hour day is a topic here amazes me.

First, the 11th District DA's Office is NOT located in Chaffee County (i.e., Salida) nor does LS reside in the County where BM was arrested -- it just happened to be one of four counties in the District.

But how noble to make fun of LS wardrobe, clothes she chose at 1:30AM--never expecting to address the pubic on that date.

I agree with @steeltowngirl -- "Yay," especially since we know how easy it is for a woman to leave the police force because she has young children she'd prefer to raise, and instead chose to drive a big rig for a US Mail carrier to attend law school at night-- just to throw it all away after serving as a public servant for for barely a decade.

well and you kind of mentioned you wanted to talk a little bit about that
52:44
go back and kind of revisit that for us well I I
52:57
think about that not that I care but it was it was just a little bit in my opinion anyway a little bit
53:03
um misguided so that people know I got a call late that night that the arrest
53:11
affidavit for Barry morphew was signed by the judge so we were going to go get him the next morning
53:16
so I had to set my alarm for 1 30 in the morning to drive up there and then wait for him
53:24
he did not leave at the time we thought he was going to early in the morning so I could have slept in for I don't know
53:30
another four hours or so but it I certainly was not going to be sitting there in a suit and I had no reason to
53:37
believe that it wasn't going to be just like Phillips where we arrested him and then we did the press conference the
53:43
following day but because it was right there on Highway 50. um and when the sun was up
53:50
so by the way you know before we even got back to the Sheriff's Office it was all over the place and so and I I said
53:56
to the public information officer there's no way I'm doing this right now and she said yes you are
54:02
so I did but it was cold that morning so I had my jacket on and I dress comfortable so I just want people to
54:09
know that normally I am in a suit every other time you've seen me but that day was a little different so for those who
54:16
are offended sorry not sorry I'm going to be comfortable at 1 30 in the morning I
54:22
have discovered that there's always someone that will have something to say about everything um and uh and I want you to know having
54:30
worked for prosecutors most of my career uh prosecutors when it's time to get
54:38
down and dirty and get out in the woods and help the officers especially on a
54:43
major case got to be able to get comfortable and go do their job and I was thrilled to see you that way and I

PE CHOIR PRACTICE #50
I agree LS's dress attire debate was ridiculous and I doubt it would have happened to a male DA if he had shown up in something similar.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valafares
Back