Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #62 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO MOO

Yes, yes I do. The one subject that doesn’t seem to be discussed enough in this case so far IMO (and I don’t know why), when it is always present as the one common underlying trait for murderers, as long as I can recall in the majority of cases I have followed, is their sexual appetite, preferences and fantasies being part of a reason behind their horrendous acts.

While I definitely agree that subject content almost always seems to be present or an underlying thing with violent men, I suppose it hasn't come up in this case because it's essentially speculation based on no known facts in the case.

If or when it becomes known, I don't think any of us here will be the least bit surprised.

jmo

Agree which is what makes the laundry list of charges so interesting....was there concern with the prosecutor's office that they wanted "something/anything" to stick or why pile on all the additional little charges on top of Murder 1 which is life in prison? Bragging points if he gets 100+ years? Willing to settle for 5 years or 10 years on all the additional charges? And then a day or two later ask for a sentence enhancer? Why? I just gotta assume they have more than circumstantial "stuff" and if so, then why all the add ons? I'm super curious where this all goes.
Most criminal convictions are based on circumstantial evidence. Yes, that “stuff.”

<modsnip -quoted post removed>
Replying to my own post Too late to edit. Just want to be perfectly clear and not put out false information
Adventures With Purpose abandoned search early because they were advised to due to being followed/watched by men in the area who were armed.
I was incorrect to state they “as did Adventures With Purpose” it looks like I was insinuating they received threats. That was not my intent. But they did leave area early as they “felt” the situation was unsafe!
MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember those notes we saw ... with words to the effect of "I remember when you carried me with such love and care when I was so sick?" "I am so thankful for you"?

To me, those notes could be a 'nice' plea from Suzanne, can't they please return to the relationship they once had, what appeared to her to be a loving, caring and nurturing relationship. And to please not be insecure, it was BM that she wanted to have a happy relationship with.

Suzanne may have been trying to change a horrible direction their relationship had taken ... by using compliments instead of confrontation. By reinforcing the 'good' behaviour.

Yes, I agree Suzanne was trying to get back to the loving relationship she once had with Barry, and the notes were very special. Could it be he was feeling some guilt when he brought them out? But, I wonder when all of that stopped.

The turning point for me was the text between MM and Suzanne and I don't think she was having an affair, either. Maybe a man friend she met in an Al-Anon meeting or a domestic violence meeting who was willing to help her escape Barry.

I believe the text shows something very dark in Suzanne's marriage to Barry. I guess it would, he murdered her the very next day.

JMO

Last edited:
Agree which is what makes the laundry list of charges so interesting....was there concern with the prosecutor's office that they wanted "something/anything" to stick or why pile on all the additional little charges on top of Murder 1 which is life in prison? Bragging points if he gets 100+ years? Willing to settle for 5 years or 10 years on all the additional charges? And then a day or two later ask for a sentence enhancer? Why? I just gotta assume they have more than circumstantial "stuff" and if so, then why all the add ons? I'm super curious where this all goes.

If BM broke the law in any way, shape, or form, I’m ecstatic for him to be charged with said crimes. I hope LE piles on whatever they can.

And no, not because I think the M1 case is weak. I think BM is going to find his hide nailed to the wall, so to speak.

(Oh gosh, is that old saying apropos or what?!?)

(And lest anyone thinks I’ve forgotten SUZANNE and this excruciating situation for her daughters and her family, I have not. I hope my bits of levity are taken as a light-hearted stab at the evil that is BM, as they are intended.

SUZANNE and all of the prosecutorial team have my utmost compassion and respect.)

True, but in this case I think they will need some hard evidence because of the charges. JMO.

I believe they have what they need.

Also, was BM calling MG multiple times to find out when she, JP and CC were going to arrive? But at the same time, not answering calls from his own daughters? But answering a call from the neighbor. It’ll take some extreme mental gymnastics for BM to rationalize why his phone records are what they are to LE.

I would like to know when his daughters informed him they were running late. Did they give updates about their journey home.
Did BM really want the neighbour to be involved or did he expect Suzanne to be found to be missing later in the evening when the girls finally arrived home .

IMOO Just the Facts

The Prosecutor needs to keep it simple. A jury can get lost in complex explanations such as possible meanings and connections of all BMs phone records.

Give the jury the facts. The DA has stated Suzanne lost her life between Saturday, May 9 and Sunday, May 10.

If BM did not call his wife's phone on Sunday, does that prove he's a murderer? No.

If BM is standing with a rifle near the searchers, does it go to show threatening behavior? Yes.

Just because his phone may ping while he's moving her body, the tower's ping will not prove he's busy secreting her; although, it may collaborate and support other evidence.

Tracking his phone, for the purpose of developing a timeline, to and from Broomsfield, may be important, but keep it as simple as possible.

Jurors want to know if Barry is guilty of murder. Mostly, they want concrete evidence, such as photographs, receipts, CCTV, or bone fragments, that will prove BM murdered with deliberation, then secreted his wife.

If a juror lacks a full understanding of complicated charts and graphs, then it could lead to a mistrial.

bbm
Indeed, and more than a rabid animal.
An unspeakable monster who is being charged with murder in the first with deliberation.
This is telling as it sounds like Barry had time to back away and think about what he was doing.
It's going to be interesting to read the AA, for sleuthers and those who are seeking justice for Suzanne.

There's no way to sugarcoat a murderer and try to find compassion for them, no matter what their 'reasoning' and past upbringing were.
However it's possible the defense will try to portray Barry as a godly and church-going man who always put his family first.
When the reality is his entire household must have quaked under his abusive control.
Iykwim ?
Imo.

Excellent post!

Indeed, nothing changed with the move from Indiana to Colorado, except things got worse between Suzanne and Barry.

Whatever the defense does to try to free him, I hope they fail miserably. They can portray him as church going, but I don't think a jury will buy into that. Church certainly didn't help him, he traveled down a dark path and murdered his wife.

He needs to stay right where he is, in a cage. For life.

Last edited:
I would like to know when his daughters informed him they were running late. Did they give updates about their journey home.
Did BM really want the neighbour to be involved or did he expect Suzanne to be found to be missing later in the evening when the girls finally arrived home .
Really, anything regarding the daughters would be from BM’s mouth or speculation unless it comes direct from Melinda Moorman or AM. The daughters have not made any public statements to reporters that I’m aware of. I don’t trust anything from BM. He’s a known liar. We’ll have to wait on the AA I suppose. LS has reported the oldest was graduating from college the weekend after BM’s arrest and that they had moved out of the condo. It’s vacant. LS commented that while guesting on a podcast video. MOO

Yes, I agree Suzanne was trying to get back to the loving relationship she once had with Barry, and the notes were very special. Could it be he was feeling some guilt when he brought them out? But, I wonder when all of that stopped.

The turning point for me was the text between MM and Suzanne and I don't think she was having an affair, either. Maybe a man friend she met in an Al-Anon meeting or a domestic violence meeting who was willing to help her escape Barry.

I believe the text shows something very dark in Suzanne's marriage to Barry. I guess it would, he murdered her the very next day.

JMO
BM pulled what “appeared to be” old love notes, old letters of fond memories after he was accused on social media of having an affair. He wanted everyone to know how much he loved his wife, but the letters were from SM, not from him to her, and they were cleverly photographed & arranged to show no dates on any of them. They didn’t prove how much he loved SM. It sounded like she was remembering better, more loving times. It would actually comical if not for being so tragic. :rolleyes::p. SM seemed to always be the one with her arm on him, reassuring him all the time. His ego needed that “inflation” from her, or someone, nonstop. Smdh MOO

Really, anything regarding the daughters would be from BM’s mouth or speculation unless it comes direct from Melinda Moorman or AM. The daughters have not made any public statements to reporters that I’m aware of. I don’t trust anything from BM. He’s a known liar. We’ll have to wait on the AA I suppose. LS has reported the oldest was graduating from college the weekend after BM’s arrest and that they had moved out of the condo. It’s vacant. LS commented that while guesting on a podcast video. MOO

In the video I posted last evening, LS confirmed that she learned from another source that the oldest did walk at graduation in order to receive her diploma. She did not attend the graduation party held by their church.

It would not surprise me if she graduated with honors. May she go on to live her best life and fulfill the dream job her heart desires.

bbm
Indeed, and more than a rabid animal.
An unspeakable monster who is being charged with murder in the first with deliberation.
This is telling as it sounds like Barry had time to back away and think about what he was doing.
It's going to be interesting to read the AA, for sleuthers and those who are seeking justice for Suzanne.

There's no way to sugarcoat a murderer and try to find compassion for them, no matter what their 'reasoning' and past upbringing were.
However it's possible the defense will try to portray Barry as a godly and church-going man who always put his family first.
When the reality is his entire household must have quaked under his abusive control.
Iykwim ?
Imo.
I’ve never lived with a murderer but I understand the personality of the Jekyl Hyde’s. It’s horrific being in their company. They cleverly suck the air out of a room, regardless of what the mood is or who’s there. Excellent post @LietKynes A Warwick Bam kind of post! MOO

Really, anything regarding the daughters would be from BM’s mouth or speculation unless it comes direct from Melinda Moorman or AM. The daughters have not made any public statements to reporters that I’m aware of. I don’t trust anything from BM.
RSBM RBBM
IMO Running late? Running late is maybe 2 hours. I don't think they ever planned to be with her Mothers Day. I think they were probably not expected back until later Sunday night. Suzanne had the wedding that Sunday. Having to have them home for Mothers Day after months of Covid isolation with them around, may have not been in the cards for anybody. We know Suzanne was going for a final clearance (my words) on Monday for her cancer, could be she and the girls planned to celebrate then. They were the ones usually at her treatments not Barry from what we have read.

RSBM RBBM
IMO Running late? Running late is maybe 2 hours. I don't think they ever planned to be with her Mothers Day. I think they were probably not expected back until later Sunday night. Suzanne had the wedding that Sunday. Having to have them home for Mothers Day after months of Covid isolation with them around, may have not been in the cards for anybody. We know Suzanne was going for a final clearance (my words) on Monday for her cancer, could be she and the girls planned to celebrate then. They were the ones usually at her treatments not Barry from what we have read.

I agree with you - although what was originally said was that Suzanne was going onto maintenance chemo, which means lower dose and less frequent - but it still might have been ongoing for a year or more. She was cancer free due to chemo, but needed more chemo to stay in that status - it was not a final chemo appointment, IMO.

I do not think the girls were expected home at all that day. And we don't know if they ever arrived (given what was going on, perhaps Barry told them just to stay in Gunnison or someplace, IMO).

BBM for discussion:
The “STUFF” you referenced:

The “public perception” of proof is usually “direct evidence”, which proves a material element of a crime. My grandson, Johnny, was sitting on the kitchen floor with chocolate cake all over his face. The cake is gone. I pretty much know Johnny ate the cake. But.... no one saw Johnny eat the cake. That’s a circumstantial case. The prosecution (me, grandma) needs to prove to mom Johnny ate the cake.

Direct evidence is a clear confession by a killer, a video of the murder itself, or an eyewitness to a murder that was committed. If someone saw BM murder SM and testified to that, that’s an example of direct evidence.

I think most of us who think BM probably killed SM believe he was the only one there when she was killed with no witnesses around. That means this is going to be a circumstantiacase. Most people don’t realize that DNA, hair, body fluids, blood, fibers, fingerprints, all digital data, GPS, cellphone, recordings, etc. are all examples of circumstantial evidence. Circumstantial evidence is everything other than eye witness or confessions, iirc, including forensics, witness’ statements (other than witness to the murder), and anything else you can imagine.

The conviction of the majority of murder cases are built around circumstantial evidence. Very few murders have eyewitnesses or confessions. MOO

So the prosecution needs to fit the puzzle pieces together for the jury “beyond a reasonable doubt” to garner a conviction, which I have zero doubt they will be successful doing.

The Extra Added on Charges: I’m following Gannon Stauch case (11 yr old CO BOY) who’s step mother is facing
murder1 + a multitude of other charges. DA’s charge what’s valid to charge they feel they can be successful prosecuting, so they should!

This isn’t “be nice to BM week” just in case he’s found not guilty of Murder 1. 70 investigators, 1400 tips, 400 interviews, 135 search warrants later these LE & DA want to get the accused convicted for a long time. Life Without Parole + another 100 years would be fine with me. The more charges, the more to use as bargaining chips to be told where SM’s body is, maybe. MOO

To the Legal Beagles and those that know far more than me, Please correct me where I’m mistaken and wrong. I more than welcome it.

PS to say “more than circumstantial "stuff" feels like gaslighting to me because many murderers are convicted on that “circumstantial stuff.” Just my 2 cents, my own opinion, my 2 centavos. :cool:

Last edited:
Can you link that video, please? TIA

The AA cannot come fast enough, also anxiously awaiting the AA on Shawn Adkins arrested today for the murder of Hailey Dunn.
Finally! 11 years later, hopefully our locals can finally get some resolution. Suzanne yours is coming soon also. Your family deserves to know what happened to you.
It’s a miracle!!! Hopefully Hailey’s soul is now at rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay