Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #62 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this has any bearing, but I had a quick look to see if/when Perish Cox's AA was unsealed. It was unsealed once the redactions were done. Keeping in mind that the sealing of this particular AA was promoted by the defense, the prosecution, and the victim's attorney.
So, it seems, the judge overrode all of those motions once the judge was comfortable with the allowable content in the AA.

Judge will disclose allegations vs. Broncos' Cox
I couldn’t find anything on this case People v. Cox on the CO Court site under 18th Judicial District. But in looking at the Stauch case I found that the same attorney representing the Media cited it in their Motion to Unseal Stauch’s AA and attached the Court’s Order as exhibit 2.
https://www.courts.state.co.us/user...0CR1358/001/Exhibit 2 to Motion to Unseal.pdf

Found here:

Colorado Judicial Branch

I don't agree at all that the judge insinuated Barry is a monster. I never once got that impression. I got the impression that there was some form of character assassination or speculation going in in the document that may or may not be admissible as evidence and I got the impression that it would be disturbing to Suzanne and Barry's kids to read it. It is not at all obvious to me that it was all about Barry. It may very well be but frankly, my initial thought was it could be LE interviews about Suzanne or even the girls themselves or all three or extended family members and since it's never making it into court it makes sense not to unleash it to the media. It's not a stretch to think that LE was watching social media and I'm sure they had some doozy of interviews about the entire family and all kinds of speculation. Once the document is released, media can publish anything they want and attribute to "the arrest warrant" which makes it appear as if it is all legitimate, legally admissible information. Once the document is all cleaned up and the preliminary is over there really is no harm for their daughters to hear facts. But no victim needs to hear a bunch of innuendo.
I so agree!

It's in the order to seal the AA. One of the considerations in the defenses argument to seal it was impartial jurors in Chaffee County.
Ah yes I would guess they were concerned about info not admissible being published. That would be a consideration the defense would have. There is approx 15000 adults and 5000 seniors in Chaffee County so I would think they can seat a jury.

Ah yes I would guess they were concerned about info not admissible being published. That would be a consideration the defense would have. There is approx 15000 adults and 5000 seniors in Chaffee County so I would think they can seat a jury.

BBM

If there are "approx 15000 adults in Chaffee County, and 5000 seniors in Chaffee County", I deduce the seniors are all under the age of 21 years.

I really need more information about this phenomenon, especially the methods employed by the seniors to reverse the passage of time.

Do you have a link for that please, @Momofthreeboys?

My stars! BM's girls are not children; they are adults. This judge is unusually sympathetic of the suspect's family. In over 40 years of following murder trials, this is a first for me.
I agree, but a possibility I have wondered about is if there are some incriminating statements in the AA by the girls that are not for him but against BM; therefore the Judge is giving them ample time to get protection/make arrangements for their safety and financial needs and possibly their own legal representation as they (the girls and/or the Judge) fear retaliation from possibly BM's friends or family? But then I remember they didn't make any pleas, at least publically, for SM's return home, but then I wonder possibly is that because of BM's control over them, not only emotionally/psychologically but also because he was their meal ticket, if you will, as they may have feared their funds would end quickly and possibly he had even told them this? And for all we know, maybe they think/thought that he did kill their mother and they feared for their own lives?

JMO and thoughts. I am not saying any of this is fact, rather it is JMO.

ADMIN NOTE:

We have some members who have been absent from the board for a while and who may be returning to various discussions at Websleuths.

We are requesting that members not derail the thread with welcome back messages on the threads. Such posts will be removed.

If you wish to extend welcome back wishes to returning members, please do so through private messaging.

Thanks to everyone for your cooperation.

And if the case is dismissed at preliminary we'll never see it I would guess or we will see a fully redacted version and understand the problem. Based on past trials I've watched, this one is moving along on schedule so I don't see anywhere the "judge" is giving Barry's defense team anything bonus....now, if there are motions to delay the preliminary, motions because they don't have full disclosure, and such, that might be an argument depending on the outcome of those motions but so far it appears everyone involved is doing their jobs. The prosecution has the arrest warrant as they should and dates and timeline were set. I'm not exactly sure where the perception comes from that Barry or his lawyers are getting preferential treatment. Right now the entire argument is only about sealing the arrest warrant from the media until after the preliminary....nothing more...nothing less...the prosecution wrote it, the judge has seen it and the defense has it. The "public" knows he has been arrested and the public knows he is in jail. Honestly, the "hint" about the extreme amount of time to do redactions is a huge hint in my mind and a concern. It's the prosecution's job to "protect Suzanne" and actually to protect the daughters. They made the decision when to arrest based on their feeling regarding ability to go to trial. The public has to trust they were prepared and the public has to trust that the prosecution will do their best to protect the victims. I'm not concerned about the prosecution forgetting that Suzanne is, in their minds, deceased, it says so on their charging documents. The "right" to a speedy trial commences at the hearing where an accused pleads guilty or not guilty. So beginning to end -- arrest to trial can take a year in some cases.
MOO The perception in part comes from the judge's "...never in my professional career..." admonishment to the prosecution.
This is calling the prosecution unprofessional, in writing, in a official document of the case. It can be used by the defense now and in an appeal.

I agree, but a possibility I have wondered about is if there are some incriminating statements in the AA by the girls that are not for him but against BM; therefore the Judge is giving them ample time to get protection/make arrangements for their safety and financial needs and possibly their own legal representation as they (the girls and/or the Judge) fear retaliation from possibly BM's friends or family? But then I remember they didn't make any pleas, at least publically, for SM's return home, but then I wonder possibly is that because of BM's control over them, not only emotionally/psychologically but also because he was their meal ticket, if you will, as they may have feared their funds would end quickly and possibly he had even told them this? And for all we know, maybe they think/thought that he did kill their mother and they feared for their own lives?

This, to me, is a strong possibility and would at least somewhat justify the delay.

That was my take too.
I don't think it is all that unusual for judges to admonish lawyers for the prosecution or lawyers for the defense during the course of a case. I would love to know what judge signed off on the arrest warrant. Seems like if that person was a skilled judge they would have had similar feeling about the length and content of the arrest warrant knowing the potential for it to become a public document and given a heads up. I still believe that the law and prosecutor were in a big hurry to get the warrant signed. Hopefully it won't bite them in the butt in the long run.

I don't think it is all that unusual for judges to admonish lawyers for the prosecution or lawyers for the defense during the course of a case. I would love to know what judge signed off on the arrest warrant. Seems like if that person was a skilled judge they would have had similar feeling about the length and content of the arrest warrant knowing the potential for it to become a public document and given a heads up. I still believe that the law and prosecutor were in a big hurry to get the warrant signed. Hopefully it won't bite them in the butt in the long run.
We had a trial at the LA Fed court and the judge admonished both sides for not being able to resolve the dispute before trial. I agree with your thoughts of the judge who signed off the AA.

bbm
The loss of a parent would upend the lives of many young adults, but the loss of funding would be worse and only add to the chaos, so I do think you're correct.
Think about it ; No more money for college, cars, apartments/housing, vacations, etc.
Life would not be the same after that .
There's also the possibility of emotional/psychological control, as you stated..
Some people who have endured that in their young adult years have called this a subtle form of abuse.
Imo.

bbm
The loss of a parent would upend the lives of many young adults, but the loss of funding would be worse and only add to the chaos, so I do think you're correct.
Think about it ; No more money for college, cars, apartments/housing, vacations, etc.
Life would not be the same after that .
There's also the possibility of emotional/psychological control, as you stated..
Some people who have endured that in their young adult years have called this a subtle form of abuse.
Imo.
Would it be so horrible for the girls to become independent, stop fepending ob BM, get financial aid/ work study money in line others with low family incomes? Its appears to be the reality of their circumstance.

Would it be so horrible for the girls to become independent, stop fepending ob BM, get financial aid/ work study money in line others with low family incomes? Its appears to be the reality of their circumstance.
Good point. ^^^
No, it shouldn't.

However, from their viewpoint, it might be horrible.
Some young adults are still supported by parents or family and to become independent is all the more difficult if circumstances change.
MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member