Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #78 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I recall most of it was in the investigation notes so "we" were privvy to it for the trial..pretty much everything except the blow by blow descriptions Krystal spoke to at trial, but we knew about the blood, the fire, the trip to the rancing property, and so on. I don't recall a bombshell...with the exception of the prisoner the last day! That WAS a bombshell. This case is different because we are only getting what we hear in the tweets however defense knows what is in the investigative reports and so on.
BBM
The blow by blow was a bombshell, and I think I can speak for most of us on this forum we all felt each blow.
That alone left me numb for days...

Let alone "Please stop! Please stop!", the paper towel contract for hire, and all the other information we weren't expecting, yes bombshells.

I wonder if any attorneys might answer:
The prosecution and defense met with the judge privately before any visitors were allowed into the courtroom. After they met, visitors were allowed in and the hearing began. Also, during the hearing the judge made a comment to Lindsey (prosecution team) to the effect of "it's already been demonstrated SM was unhappy with the marriage."

The prosecution, defense, and judge are all familiar with the AA, which the judge sealed and has ordered remain sealed until at least that time he issues his decision about whether he binds BM over for trial.

Say the AA includes some kind of shocking or inflammatory information that the judge believes could be prejudicial to a future jury OR could drive an overwhelming public reaction if BM decides to plea to a lesser charge (say, in exchange for revealing location of remains). If the judge indicated to the defense that he was very heavily leaning in the "bind BM over for trial" direction but was concerned about the prosecution presenting that information in court at this time (during the PH) - could the defense make an agreement with the prosecutor and judge to allow that information to be considered by the judge in his decision while omitting presentation of that information from the PH and that having doing so would not be later grounds for appeal by the defense?
Very likely. In my mind, the type of deal you describe took place relative to a few evidentiary matters, i.e. the daughters.

I wonder if any attorneys might answer:
The prosecution and defense met with the judge privately before any visitors were allowed into the courtroom. After they met, visitors were allowed in and the hearing began. Also, during the hearing the judge made a comment to Lindsey (prosecution team) to the effect of "it's already been demonstrated SM was unhappy with the marriage."

The prosecution, defense, and judge are all familiar with the AA, which the judge sealed and has ordered remain sealed until at least that time he issues his decision about whether he binds BM over for trial.

Say the AA includes some kind of shocking or inflammatory information that the judge believes could be prejudicial to a future jury OR could drive an overwhelming public reaction if BM decides to plea to a lesser charge (say, in exchange for revealing location of remains). If the judge indicated to the defense that he was very heavily leaning in the "bind BM over for trial" direction but was concerned about the prosecution presenting that information in court at this time (during the PH) - could the defense make an agreement with the prosecutor and judge to allow that information to be considered by the judge in his decision while omitting presentation of that information from the PH and that having doing so would not be later grounds for appeal by the defense?
Very likely. In my mind, the type of deal you describe took place relative to a few evidentiary matters, i.e. the daughters.

BBM
The blow by blow was a bombshell, and I think I can speak for most of us on this forum we all felt each blow.
That alone left me numb for days...

Let alone "Please stop! Please stop!", the paper towel contract for hire, and all the other information we weren't expecting, yes bombshells.

Yes, when we heard that Kelsey was blindfolded with a sweater, then beaten with a baseball bat to the point her teeth were knocked out, just steps away from her baby, on Thanksgiving, I was left shaking for hours.

I have my thoughts regarding ATM Barry. I’ve been trying to be quiet about it but my absolute ever first original thought about loyalty by certain members of the family was $$$$$$$$$. What would happen if that was gone? What would happen to those who knew only one type of lifestyle? No vacations, no Nike Air Force ones custom made, no Louis Vuitton’s , no 100 bathing suits, no range rovers. What happens then ??
Are family members carrying Louis bags to court? Where did this reference come from?

Did Barry take a polygraph test?
Was that mentioned at all during the PH?
A family member, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, told a news station that Barry Morphew had twice refused a polygraph test, and the family member claimed that data from his pickup truck did not match what he had told investigators.

He told SM's family he had.

He also told her family that he was cleared, as well as telling Draper he was cleared.

After that Andy stated: "Please, Barry, if you could see this, I would really love it if you would take the time to revisit the authorities and go over everything once again … Take a voice analysis and a lie detector test and clear yourself,”

Thanks for the post, it just reiterates to me how unlikely it is when BM told investigators that if his phone was in airplane mode at critical times, it just happened by accident. :rolleyes:
DH came home 2 days ago and asked me if I put his phone on Airplane mode. I didn't, happened again yesterday, I didn't do that either. So I'm guessing it can happen by accident, although I could never explain how.

I am a little bit concerned that the defence is trying to imply that TD might be involved in this, per the Arizona DNA thing. They were so hung up on that! I have no idea if Tempe is where Tyson lives or lived, but I do know he lives in Arizona. Maybe it's nothing, but I can only imagine how much Barry loathes that man, and would love nothing more than to want to seek revenge on T. I would honestly be scared of BM if I were him. (In the same way I'd be scared if I was JL.):(

*Just thinking out loud, so totally IMO. It stood out to me how they were hammering on about Arizona. I'm sure it's a ridiculous thought, but it's been popping up all day while perusing the final day of this hearing.

I can't stop thinking about BM's admission that he struck Suzanne. (In typical abuser style, he claims it was an accident and minimizes her injury.) Why admit to this? If there wasn't some sort of proof, he would deny it.

IMO, there are photos and/or eyewitness accounts. Let's not forget the sentence-enhancing DV charge that would not be brought without solid evidence.

I believe the PH was a simmering version of the explosive AA to come.
Great post. Thank you.

I'm ignorant about tranq darts.

Could someone use a loaded dart by hand?

Could a stronger, larger person restrain a smaller person and inject the dart into them, and then restrain the smaller person until the drug takes effect?

The tranquilizer:

If we assume BM used the normal animal tranquilizer, ketamine, I can give some insight into its effects on a human. I was on a medical trial for a ketamine nose spray to be used to treat depression. Obviously the doses I was given were intended for human use and not intended to knock me out completely. During my treatments I would receive my first dose of 1 spray in each nostril first, then 15 minutes later I would receive a second round of 1 spray in each nostril. The first dose didn't really do anything notable. The 2nd dose usually kicked in after about 5 minutes. At this point, the doctor would question me about how I was feeling, whether I felt dizzy or not, if I felt like my mind was separate from my body (hard to explain feeling), EKGs would be performed. I was required to stay in the reclining chair that everything took place in due to the effects on co-ordination. Prior to treatments, I was offered a last chance to use the bathroom because I would be I the recliner for more than 2 hours while the doctor observed me and they did not want me to attempt walking once the doses were administered. Anyway, like I said, the first dose didn't do much, but within a few minutes of the 2nd dose, my thoughts would get really fuzzy, the room/walls around me would start to look wavy, kind of like when the room spins after drinking, from there, the Dr would ask me questions and I had a hard time answering them because my thoughts were muddled and my brain felt out of sync with my mouth. If they had allowed me to get up and walk at that point, I would not have been able to because my muscles didn't feel like they worked anymore. I had a hard time keeping my head up because it felt like my neck couldn't support the weight of my head. All of these feelings would continue for approximately an hour. When the treatment was completed for the day (approximately 2 hours from start to finish) my husband was required to come up to the office and help get me out to the car because my legs still felt like jello. He would get me in the car and drive home which took about 30 minutes. During the ride home, I was still having some effects from the drug. I drove my husband nuts because I was constantly jumping because in my mind he was driving way too fast (he wasn't) and the other cars all seemed like they were trying to play bumper cars with us ( they werent). Once home I would lay down and fall asleep for a few hours. I usually woke up feeling completely normal, but because the effects can continue, I was not allowed to drive for 24 hours following a treatment.

So, all that to say, if Suzanne was shot with a dart containing ketamine, I would assume it's a much larger dose than what I was given, but she definitely would have lost her ability to run from BM pretty quickly and I doubt she would have the muscle function to fight him off after a very short time. Depending on the dose, she could have passed out completely very shortly after the shot. She could have woken back up after, but she would probably still have the effects of the med going on. Ketamine would make it very easy for Barry to overpower her and move her at his leisure and that could continue for hours. In my mind, Barry had alot of time to bury her, push her off a cliff, throw her down a mine shaft, or do any number of things with her before she actually died which could explain the lack of cadaverine. The 3 hour window that has been brought up actually makes alot of sense from my perspective.
Wow, thanks for the very graphic, description of your experience, I felt every moment.

I can't answer your question - but it does not seem very transparent to me.

Lots of things happen in US courts that are not entirely transparent. Side bars and in chamber meetings are not public. This happens a lot when the evidence is still not all agreed upon (and this case has so many different kinds of evidence - including statements by Barry, which may not be admissible at trial).

If there are indeed bombshells in the AA (and evidence to back them up), there's no reason the prosecution has to bring them up at the prelim - and if they are anti-Barry, there's no way the defense would bring them up.

This is not the phase of the proceedings where anyone is expected to discuss all of the evidence, and doubt is supposed to resolved in favor of the prosecution. But it is the defense's big chance to get a sense of what the prosecution's overall argument may be.

The prosecution has a duty to show that LE and DA at least considered other, possibly exculpatory evidence (DNA in the glove box). So naturally it was those elements of the case that the defense wanted to hear about.

Gun experts, cell phone experts, cell tower experts, GPS experts, etc. were not called, but the people who did testify cited reports from all of those - which the judge has in evidence.

DH came home 2 days ago and asked me if I put his phone on Airplane mode. I didn't, happened again yesterday, I didn't do that either. So I'm guessing it can happen by accident, although I could never explain how.
It isn't the fact that is could happen once, but it isn't a coincidence it happened the entire time on Sat thru Sun, just again, coincidentally when Suzanne was murdered and disposed of.

JMO

grok is short for "Groucho Marx"
Huh, never heard that. I was using it in the Robert Heinlein way to mean "fully understand". Groucho's cool though.
GPn0zNK.gif

If he gets bound over for trial, my guess is the defense's next step will be invoking his right to a speedy trial. Anybody know when that clock starts or if it already started?

When he enters his plea. When the prelim resumes, we can expect the charges to 1) be entirely dropped, no plea needed OR 2) some charges to be dropped (Murder 1 is the only one I can think of that would be dropped, personally and then immediately refiled as Murder 2 - in which case Barry might then enter a plea of not guilty and be granted bail; OR 3) Charges stay the same/more are added and then Barry enters a plea of not guilty.

He's not going to use that hearing to enter a guilty plea. But if #2 is the case, Barry has a better bargaining position (he'll want that DV charged dropped - but he has admitted "clipping" her on the nose and using his body (not his arms) to push on her/block her from doing something). Still, I suppose the judge could find that evidence is insufficient - something tells me that the judge will want something besides Barry's own statements (which either are or aren't admissible at trial - perhaps not).

After that, the trial has to be scheduled within 6 months.

That's my understanding of CO law, anyway.

I suspect there will be lots of testimony about the unreliability of cell phones and personal vehicles as tracking devices. It will be explained that these are consumer-level conveniences - "bells and whistles" - but were never intended for "life or death" situations. An exception may be the data that is stored prior to airbag deployment, but that would be a separate system with a short period of logging.

My wife and I have each other's location shared on our iPhones. I use it to try and find her when we get separated at the mall and it shows her passing through walls - one minute in the store, next minute out back and the next out front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734