Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #78 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The blue tarp coming out of the vehicle is very interesting to me. I would think this means they found something related to a crime. I am hoping and wising it is the recovery of SM. However, if not related to this particular case I hope it solves another. Jmo
My thought also. I can think of 2 missing women whose bodies were never found. Kelsey Berreth...I never believed she was burned and that would have been just off the route Krystal took heading home if she moved the body for Patrick and someone from Colorado Springs...I think the name was Jepsey. That is abit way out of the way for Barry and I would think it would have showed up somehow on his GPS if he strayed that far off path and that far away from Broomfield so I'm not thinking of Suzanne...but one never knows and if someone else did abduct Suzanne well....

It makes you wonder! If that recovery is of SM's remains, hmmmm.

I can think of several possibilities:

BM had an accomplice, like Patrick Frazee did.
BM borrowed a vehicle and made that trip with her body during that 5-6 hour window.
BM secreted her body really well right after he killed her, and relocated it to Berthoud Pass in later days (with a borrowed/untraceable vehicle).

I wondered at one point if it was part of SM's remains found, ugh.

I remember the same.

I think the idea that there was a bleach smell in the PP house is off the table for now, and the bleach in the hotel room turns out to be because two of the rooms are above the indoor pool and apparently almost always smell of bleach (still smelling of bleach four months later).

So bleach is gone from my list. No polygraph either.

The judge has apparently decided that even mentioning what most witnesses said (and their names) will not occur at the prelim. And I get that.

The Spa Store owners may be about to find themselves in the eye of a legal storm, as although they had no receipts or videos, they apparently verbally confirmed Barry's trip to their store on Saturday afternoon at 4:00 pm or later (even though their sign says the store closes at 2 pm).

Barry seems to go to alot of stores after closing time but somehow still finds people (alibis) there. Poncha market was closed when he was digging in their trash, but lucky for BM there were still 2 employees there. Barry goes to the spa store 2-3.5 hours after they closed, but gets lucky again and the 2 owners are there and he spends anywhere from minutes to nearly 2 hours there without purchasing anything. Something is fishy here and especially if the store owners were not just confused as the LE witness stated. I wonder why the prosecution didn't question the fact that the store closed 2 hours before BM and the store owners claim he was there.

MOO
Wouldn’t it be great if BM struck a deal after his reported defeated demeanor on Tuesday, when the Judge announced he would have to go back to confinement until 9/17? From the different observations of those that were in the courtroom, it seems BM was gutted not being able to be released as he anticipated. I’d like to think the thought of going back to his cage may have made him break and he gave up SM’s location.

I’ll have to go back and read the article to see when this FBI evidence search took place. This development is one to keep an eye on.

EBM: To add link to article being referenced as I didn’t know how to grab/quote the original poster that posted this article. @Gardenista

FBI Agents Conduct Evidence Recovery Operation On Berthoud Pass

It is highly intriguing that the FBI is conducting this search.

Also of note, Berthoud Pass is a known hunting area for Elk and big game.

But that could also probably be said about mainly places on CO.

Somewhat doubtful, all service history is computerized now, definitely at Land Rover.

The only reason I can think of for a service tech to go to the glovebox would be to fix/replace something in that area, e.g. cabin air filters may be in that vicinity or any cooling issue with the glovebox.
You are right. Cabin air filter is in the glove box. Needs to be replaced roughly ever other oil change. Still, they would know the techs' names from dealer records and could eliminate them.

Last edited:
BBM

I still find BM’s extra-marital activities potentially relevant to motive. In some of her final messages to him, SM alludes to not caring who he has been with/what he’s been up to all these years.

If she had acquired some knowledge of the who/what his secret life comprised, he would not have wanted that exposed.

This is the second time I've seen it mentioned here that Suzanne mention "who he'd been with" but that's not what the "I'm done" text actually says.

"I’m done. I could care less about what you’ve been up to for years. We need to figure this out civilly"

That's the only text I've ever seen, so if there's another one where she says she doesn't care who he's been with, can someone please point me that direction?

I've said this from day one and yeah, some laughed I'm sure. I don't put anything past him. He LOVES the sport of the hunt, the kill, the skinning, all of it.
I look at it this way. If you have it in your psyche to intentionally kill another human being (no less your wife), no one knows how deep that depravity runs or what they're capable of - past, present and future.
Then he fired up the bbq...

I wonder if the FBI agents and Barry shared a plate and 1 knife (no fork) the day Barry told them not to bring pizza, he would just throw 2 more steaks on for them. Maybe he offered them a half a mug of 2 day old coffee while he was at it.

Barry seems to go to alot of stores after closing time but somehow still finds people (alibis) there. Poncha market was closed when he was digging in their trash, but lucky for BM there were still 2 employees there. Barry goes to the spa store 2-3.5 hours after they closed, but gets lucky again and the 2 owners are there and he spends anywhere from minutes to nearly 2 hours there without purchasing anything. Something is fishy here and especially if the store owners were not just confused as the LE witness stated. I wonder why the prosecution didn't question the fact that the store closed 2 hours before BM and the store owners claim he was there.
If the owners are friends I think they would help BM.

Last edited:
It is highly intriguing that the FBI is conducting this search.

Also of note, Berthoud Pass is a known hunting area for Elk and big game.

But that could also probably be said about mainly places on CO.
I just remember Berthoud as mostly closed during the winter.

The pass is currently the route of U.S. Highway 40, north of its junction with Interstate 70 in Clear Creek Canyon. It provides the fastest road access to Winter Park and a secondary route to Steamboat Springs from Denver and the Colorado Front Range. However, the pass is one of the most notoriously difficult passes in Colorado for motorists, based on its height as well as the steep grades on both sides (6.3%) and the large number of switchbacks on the southern side of the pass. At least 55 avalanche paths have been mapped on Berthoud Pass; with some of them intersecting U.S. Highway 40, and a smaller subset of paths intersecting the roadway at multiple points on the pass.[2] In 2015, CDOT installed an automated propane-fueled avalanche mitigation system consisting of five units that create concussive blasts to mitigate snow slab buildup on avalanche path #5, Stanley.[3]

Berthoud Pass - Wikipedia

Here's an older article, but worth going back over. Especially now. Quotes from Andy...

"Yesterday we ran into him as we cross that mountain top of where we found the evidence and he was out hanging trail cams and he had a shotgun on his shoulder and warned us not to go any further because we were about to enter private property. And to answer your question, no, he’s not involved in the search,”

“He’s not cooperating enough with police. He should have done a voice analysis with a detective right off the bat and some of his behavior since then have been quite strange,”

“I think that she was abducted. I don’t think she ever got on her bike. I think she probably died Saturday and she was hidden somewhere Saturday night and we’re pushing forward and that’s the theories that we have right now that seem to be correct,”

"I’m afraid this is domestic abuse."

Moorman said he learned while searching for Suzanne that she was “working with domestic abuse meetings.”

‘I’m afraid this is domestic abuse’; Suzanne Morhpew’s brother says husband not participating in search, carrying shotgun to keep people off property | FOX31 Denver

----------------------------------
Shot with a dart, taken off the property (lets say in a cooler and killed elsewhere) can qualify as abduction by Barry.

Not me since it happens in so many trials. Random DNA is everywhere.

Right?!?! I can't even begin to guess how many different DNA samples would be found in my minivan. Having 3 kids, I have probably had a minimum of 25 different people in my vehicle just from taking my kids and their friends different places. In the past few months my car has also been to 3 different mechanics/dealerships and I have no way of knowing who touched my vehicle during those times. I don't think random DNA being found would surprise me, however, if I was told that my husband or my kids DNA was NOT found in my vehicle, I would definitely find that to be weird. The absence of BM's DNA is more surprising than if it had been found all over the family vehicles and on random things in the house.

i'm still uncertain that BM is paying for his legal team. seems to me he could have placed everthing in a trust for his daughters and its administered by someone other than himself and declared himself indigent. . biggest reason i'm skeptical is that during a hearing prior to this 4 day proof evident if i remember correctly, one of his attorneys told the judge they needed more money because the evidence dumped on them by state was just too much. i'm paraphrasing, but why the heck would the defense tell the judge they need more money? turns out colorado has the office of alternate defense counsel which is a different entity that public defenders office. i've been researching if dru and/or eytan have had any relation to the OADC and have not yet found any cases they had through the office. OADC is setup to provide the best representation for indigents that qualify. anyway, i also founf this article tonight that is a decent read on the latest 4 day hearing.

Morphew Pretrial Hearing Wraps Up, Awaiting Trial Decision - by Jan Wondra - Ark Valley Voice

I don't think it's likely given that BM was first represented by appointed counsel from the public defender's office which he later terminated when he hired private attorneys E & N.

I'm wondering if perhaps OP is recalling E&N requesting sanctions against the DA's office for allegedly delaying discovery? Nonetheless, it would be unusual for a public defender or state-funded counsel to request monies in open court -- there's a process for that. MOO

I don't think the alibi evidence from the pool store owners, the Equador fantasy, or the credibility arguments of the defense will factor into the judge's decision. After all, he must accept the evidence in the light most favorable to the prosecution.

He can't ignore the evidence that SM was alive, actively texting her friends right up to the time BM's truck arrives, the door opens, and he - by his own admission - begins moving around the house with a gun in his hand. After that exact time, she is unresponsive to her friends for the rest of that day and every day since. He can't ignore the evidence suggesting that thereafter, BM puts his phone for enough time to get rid of her body. He can't ignore BM's previous efforts to establish the Broomfield work alibi or its abject phoniness when tested by LE. There is more, of course, but my point is that the evidence is there to find probable cause on every count.

But Judge Murphy signed the arrest warrant, and as a conscientious judge he intends to demonstrate that he's not a rubber stamp for the prosecution. He will spell out the standard he is bound to apply, then demonstrate how the evidence meets it. He will be careful to point out that he is not determining guilt or innocence, and that he is not deciding that evidence objected to by the defense will be admissible at trial.

The defense has tried to suggest that there is no evidence of deliberation and therefore the First Degree Murder charge should be dismissed. But from the effort to establish the alibi alone, an ordinary person could infer that BM deliberated before he killed his wife.

See if you agree. Here's the standard jury instruction for Colorado.

F:10 AFTER DELIBERATION

The term “after deliberation” means not only intentionally but also that the decision to commit the act has been made after the exercise of reflection and judgment concerning the act. An act committed after deliberation is never one which has been committed in a hasty or impulsive manner.

COMMENT

1. See § 18-3-101(3), C.R.S. 2018 (homicide and related offenses).

2. Under this definition, some “‘appreciable length of time must have
    elapsed to allow deliberation, reflection and judgment.’
    ” Key v. People, 715 P.2d 319, 322 (Colo. 1986) (quoting People v. Sneed, 183 Colo. 96, 100, 514 P.2d 776, 778 (1973)). See Martinez v. People, 2015 CO 16, ¶ 11, 344 P.3d 862 (“The trial court in this case erroneously instructed the jury that ‘after deliberation’ means an interval of time ‘sufficient for one thought to follow another.’ The prosecution culled this language from an 1895 case, Van Houten v. People, that considered how quickly premeditation can occur in the first-degree murder context. 22 Colo. 53, 43 P. 137, 142 (1895). More recently, however, this court has rejected the Van Houten language as inconsistent with the element of deliberation that the current first-degree murder statute requires. People v. Sneed, 183 Colo. 96, 514 P.2d 776, 778 (1973). . . . [However,] because the record in this case reveals overwhelming evidence of deliberation, and the instructions as a whole adequately informed the jury of the law, the instructional error did not seriously impair the reliability of the jury’s guilty verdict. We therefore affirm the court of appeals’ holding that there was no plain error in the trial court’s jury instructions.”).

3. Evidence of voluntary intoxication is admissible to counter the specific intent element of first-degree murder, which includes “after deliberation” as an element. See People v. Miller, 113 P.3d 743, 750 (Colo. 2005); People v. Harlan, 8 P.3d 448, 471–75 (Colo. 2000).

4. In 2015, the Committee revised Comment 2 by adding a citation to Martinez v. People.

I just remember Berthoud as mostly closed during the winter.

The pass is currently the route of U.S. Highway 40, north of its junction with Interstate 70 in Clear Creek Canyon. It provides the fastest road access to Winter Park and a secondary route to Steamboat Springs from Denver and the Colorado Front Range. However, the pass is one of the most notoriously difficult passes in Colorado for motorists, based on its height as well as the steep grades on both sides (6.3%) and the large number of switchbacks on the southern side of the pass. At least 55 avalanche paths have been mapped on Berthoud Pass; with some of them intersecting U.S. Highway 40, and a smaller subset of paths intersecting the roadway at multiple points on the pass.[2] In 2015, CDOT installed an automated propane-fueled avalanche mitigation system consisting of five units that create concussive blasts to mitigate snow slab buildup on avalanche path #5, Stanley.[3]

Berthoud Pass - Wikipedia
Some of the most beautiful scenery in the country but super treacherous.

...and there is NO WAY she would wash her daughter's sheets with her landscaper husband's dirty work clothes. My husband's dirty work clothes were their own load- always. He had to have washed that stuff together like that.
Exactly. BM had to wash any evidence off his clothes. He opened the washer and saw the sheets SM never got to wash for the houseguest she would never get to see. He dumped his own stuff in and turned on the machine for getting about that pesky little dart cap that lay deep in the pocket of his shorts.

BBM
MOO IMO

I had posted the following thoughts before and received no feedback so I’m attempting again. Would appreciate some insight. TIA.

1) If during their investigation, LE found BM was linked to crimes in other States, would that information be disclosed in the currently sealed AA during this case?
OR
2) Would the discovery be treated seperately with its own set of charges?
I’ve wondered the same thing. I’m sure everyone is concentrating on him being convicted for this crime first. If he talks after that, or if evidence leads to another murder, say in Indiana, the investigators may follow up.

“Second, there was just a small implication of domestic violence, something about Barry's hand brushed against Suzanne's nose and (I think) caused it to bleed. Again, clearly the prosecution is trying to make this a big deal and implying there was more to the story. Is that all they have, though? If that is the best evidence of DV then I'm sorry, its poor.” Snipped from @RIPRM

“Clipping” someone’s nose in a manner that causes it to bleed is considered to be violence. If it was done to me, I would think it was a big deal.

My guess is since he brought it up, it means someone else, who is not Barry, who is still alive, also knows of this “brushing” of the nose incident.

Where did the nose bleed part come from? I had 12 different reporters on my tweet list that I copied all the tweets from and none of them mentioned that her nose bled. Can we have a link for that please?

Based on the four days of the prelim, and with the limited knowledge of tweets that were published, i'm struggling with "proof and evidence". I think he lies, I think they can prove that he lies. That does not equal murder.
I think they will get Shosho to open up. That just puts him on par with SM to most people.
I think the daughters will likely show love and support for Dad, it's common in scenarios like this.
I am disappointed but hopeful. I was less optimistic after the prelim and even more so after seeing the DA's press conference.

I'm just not getting warm fuzzies and it infuriates me. I hope i'm wrong. IMO it will go to trial but if they have is anything like what they just presented, he will not be convicted.
I think the D is trying to show that LE has simply had it out for BM since the beginning and built a case around that. They missed some big leads from an investigative perspective.

Poncha Springs Market - they never showed up for video nor did they interview them until after it was put to MSM.
Did not process the sleeping bag?
Did not process the room at the HIE
Did not process the 1/2 full coffee cup on the counter
Never followed up on DNA from "possible" matches on car.
Didn't have evidence bags for the article of clothing
Did not process the bikini she is last seen wearing in the proof of life photo.
Others?
How could PM sign the affidavit then say"much of the information is not relevant to trial but needed more time for his ruling.

I'm sure i've missed some. I am not bashing LE, I am merely pointing out the holes the D has created and showing how this ship could sink.
The coffee and proof of life photo mean nothing. In the proof of life photo, a bikini cannot be scene. No one knows what she was wearing. As for the coffee cup, if it was Suzanne’s, it could have been left there from Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
world1971