Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #79 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you on a potential water burial. So many sources nearby.

Regarding the hand tools BM allegedly left behind for his crew, I'm recalling a statement by MG very early that makes me think that BM did not have a truck tool box when she said that it looked to her like BM just emptied his truck bed at the hotel. At the time, MG would not have known that his toolbox was missing.

I also don't recall seeing any close-up photos of his truck(s) prior to SM missing. But I'm also inclined to believe that BM did not use his own vehicle when he disposed of SM's body. MOO
hmm a cooler weighted down with 50lbs of feed or corn or whatever that was? it still would float unless something else held it down especially in a river? Wasn't there something about him being soaking wet ?
YouTuber who ‘secretly’ recorded video of Barry Morphew discussing wife’s disappearance says he believes Suzanne Morphew’s husband knew the camera was on
snipped
He said Morphew as “soaking wet” and not wearing a shirt.

hmm a cooler weighted down with 50lbs of feed or corn or whatever that was? it still would float unless something else held it down especially in a river? Wasn't there something about him being soaking wet ?
YouTuber who ‘secretly’ recorded video of Barry Morphew discussing wife’s disappearance says he believes Suzanne Morphew’s husband knew the camera was on
snipped
I can't forget Frazee telling KK that Kelsey would be untraceable in the river or the landfill. :eek:

I’m not seeing the connection other than the sheets were in the dryer with shorts BM wore on Saturday according to the Prosecution. I think SM had washed MM1’s sheets (checked off SM’s to-do-list) and had put them in the dryer, then BM washed his shorts & threw them in the dryer without removing the sheets. I don’t think the sheets are of any evidentiary value since they were found in the home and apparently no biological evidence was found on them. Moo
No, me neither. Perhaps I misunderstood the OPs question.

Yes. We know that the unlaced boots were disposed of. The question then becomes, "What became of the laces? Why remove them from the boots prior to disposal?"

Possible answers abound, but since the boot laces seemingly cannot be accounted for, there's the distinct possibility that they were part of the commission of the crime: used as a garrotte, bindings, or simply contaminated in some way that required their disposal, separated from the boots they belonged to, presumably to help break the bond between boot and lace and between boots, laces, and Barry Morphew.

These are fair questions, IMO, as we know from the PH, because they are yet another point of departure from what we might call "expected behaviour" and the actions of BM during that 24 hours that included the disappearance of SM, and in that strange period of travel, TV-watching and extended sequence of trash runs. Sure, the boot laces may be irrelevant, but the trouble he took to remove and then separately dispose of them suggests otherwise.

I don't quite grasp the "evidence/nexus" discussion that @IRBHTX is developing, so will leave it alone.

BBM

I don't think we know he removed the laces; we only know he claimed he did.

If he actually used the laces for anything untoward, why would he specifically talk about keeping the laces? He could have just said he disposed of worn out boots, period, and it would have been more or less assumed the laces went with them.

The detail about him keeping the laces seems like it could be true, or else it was his "alibi" for why he brought the boots into the hotel room "to remove the laces before discarding the old boots" (when maybe he really brought the boots inside to attempt to bleach them?)

Also, if he used the laces in the commission of the crime, he would have had to have already removed them from the boots long before the hotel room.

MOO

Hes a spendthrift, not a cheapskate.
He treated himself tp ever toy, caviar hunting trips, driving new cars.
Why, if he so pennywise was he not utilizing the Association dumpster he has already paid for?
Barry Morphew’s Arms Covered In Possible Fingernail Cuts After Suzanne Morphew’s Disappearance; Someone May Have Burned Journal in Fireplace

Not for one second, do I feel Barry ever did without anything he wanted, physically or financially.

Driving new cars? Clarifications, please, Anyone!

Suzanne drove a 2015 Range Rover prior to her disappearance in 2020. I do not consider a 5 year old vehicle as being new. Especially one she more than likely personally drove 1220+ miles to Salida since antlers were inside the interior of Barry's truck leaving no room for her to ride inside. Plus his truck was already hauling a trailer so I'm not sure he could handle towing her 2015 Range Rover.

Further, it is my understanding that one of the daughters, MM2, inherited Suzanne's old vehicle, which was also a Range Rover, when SM got the 2015 RR. MM1 drove a truck but I don't know that year or the model of it.

Did Barry purchase a new truck in IN (or in CO) after Suzanne was no longer with us?

Yes. We know that the unlaced boots were disposed of. The question then becomes, "What became of the laces? Why remove them from the boots prior to disposal?"

Possible answers abound, but since the boot laces seemingly cannot be accounted for, there's the distinct possibility that they were part of the commission of the crime: used as a garrotte, bindings, or simply contaminated in some way that required their disposal, separated from the boots they belonged to, presumably to help break the bond between boot and lace and between boots, laces, and Barry Morphew.

These are fair questions, IMO, as we know from the PH, because they are yet another point of departure from what we might call "expected behaviour" and the actions of BM during that 24 hours that included the disappearance of SM, and in that strange period of travel, TV-watching and extended sequence of trash runs. Sure, the boot laces may be irrelevant, but the trouble he took to remove and then separately dispose of them suggests otherwise.

I don't quite grasp the "evidence/nexus" discussion that @IRBHTX is developing, so will leave it alone.

I wonder if we actually saw the boots without the laces or if it is just another excuse that Barry made up to cover his butt.

He seems to think quick on his feet to come with an answer for everything he is asked whether it is the truth or a lie.

@Tiff23fr Thanks for asking about my (amateur) game plan. I'd love to bounce my ideas off of you (we're in similar fields) and also off the legal eagles here.

(TL;DR - DV; timeline; witness will show motive, means and opportunity to commit the crime of murdering Suzanne Morphew).

Domestic violence and the danger of divorce would be my first topic, with all the evidence of Barry's pre-disappearance control (an expert witness on DV; Barry controlling the money; SO's and Suzanne's sister's testimony about a violent marriage; probably put the daughter who recommended a restraining order on the stand (gently) and I'd also ask her if the door frame had been broken the last time she was at the house; the nose clipping event; the times he pinned her down to the bed; the time he threw her into a closet and held a gun to his head; all his suicide messages; then put the expert back on the stand to give a statement about how suicidal controlling spouses often turn homicidal. The fact that women are most vulnerable to murder (femicide) when they try to leave would get hammered home. I'd also have a chart of all the things that constitute DV (it's not just punching people, shoving and blocking exits and "clipping" in the face while making wild hand gestures, getting in someone's face, yelling, threatening, financial control, sexual control, implicit threats of violence - such as "bumping" one's big muscular body up against someone to herd them around as if they are a deer, religious control, gaslighting, blaming the victim - all of that needs to be discussed and good graphics made). How abusers try to isolate the victim more and more, to control and to silence them.

Then I'd start the timeline of how Suzanne planned to leave (starting with her financial moves to try and get some money to go, constantly reiterating how secretive she needed to be). Starting May 6, the timeline will ramp up and begin to include Barry Morphew's opportunity (daughters gone, Suzanne alone, poor cellular connection, distance between houses in that area;) and his motivation (financial and she's leaving). I'd go into Barry Morphew's financial patterns (including his dependence on Suzanne for big sums of money). Barry's actions from May 6-11th would be combed over with a fine tooth comb. He has no alibi. I'd try to establish that his financial motivation was huge, that he carried a gun around the house, that he admitted shooting the gun on May 9th, and I'd introduce the broken door frame. I'd have a map of the larger area and another of the PP house. I'd include the elk head with flesh attached outside the house to attract mountain lions, I'd include his rapid move to get conservatorship, his getting rid of Suzanne's things, his bizarre statement about saving just one person, his exchange of his truck for a new one, and his selling of the RR (maybe two RR's) and his sale of the Indiana house. I'd hope that SO has information about Suzanne wanting to move back to Indiana. I'd bring in any witnesses who could explain that Barry believed only death could end a marriage and Suzanne's statements about Barry permitting no discussion of divorce ("because it will never happen.") Here, I believe it's tricky. Surely JL can testify to Suzanne's reasoning about divorce, at least to some degree. Anyway, this would be the timeline section (I'm really good at drawing timelines myself, with color coding and I would have slides and when all the timeline was put together, it would be highly incriminating). Barry had opportunity, he had means, he had motive. The scratch marks would be presented in this part. I'd probably also have a local LE witness talk about how it's a small town and many already knew Barry and that his reputation as a friendly, God-loving man made them reluctant to draw the conclusion that he was a murderer, and have that person tell why their mind changed. I'd include his attempt to influence MG as a witness. I'd include the lies he told to his nephew (put the nephew on the stand).

I'd include the financial forensics in the timeline section. This would include all the evidence the Suzanne did not voluntarily leave.

There'd be quite a bit of testimony, but I'd boil it down to a simple timeline and that timeline would be there at the summation. Obviously, the trash dump would be a big part of it.

Then I'd do all his lies in a big chart (how his story changed many times). The reset of the truck's GPS would be part of this (another set of experts here - to do car and phone GPS, including from a third phone which I believe he used in this crime and evidence of Suzanne's phone from the Cloud). I know Barry made more than just trash run stops and that LE has evidence of him out and about on May 9-10 (the evidence that caused Monarch Pass highway to be shut for a day - even if they didn't find much, they had reason to believe Barry had been in certain places - where Suzanne's body may still be hidden). I'd describe the searches for Suzanne and why Barry was excluded from official searches and how he behaved when Andy tried to search. I'd put Andy on the stand. His lack of cooperation and lying to the investigators needs to be strongly emphasized (not just because of that one charge, but for the whole case). He had knowledge of his own guilt. He also lies. I'd include lies told to the Moorman family about not being part of the loan (despite borrowing money to invest in community property). I'd include his lying about working on Sunday in Broomfield. The reset of the GPS would be emphasized as evidence that Suzanne was disposed of. I'd certainly mention the tranquilizer material, of course and bring in an expert to tell how that would help Barry avoid certain kinds of forensic evidence.

Then I'd wrap up with witnesses who could speak for Suzanne in some way. If that one pastor can be brought to the stand to repeat what Barry said to her, that'd be great too. But I'd have SO back on the stand, Suzanne's sister, one or both of the daughters, anyone who could read out Suzanne's grievance list, the texts between Suzanne and her supporters. If necessary, I'd address the issue of why they left Indiana (if defense claims it's due to the affair, I'd counter with it was due to Barry becoming increasingly violent - even in the workplace, of which there are two examples where there are witnesses). I'd imply that Suzanne wanted out, but that Barry had cornered her.

(And then I think about getting lucky...does the prosecution have witnesses from the gym who might know if Barry used steroids? Because I think he did...did Suzanne reveal anything to the Ritters about the state of the marriage - that would a lucky break; what about that DV group? etc What does SD know? )

I'd take the risk of putting one or both daughters on the stand, or at least Macy (I believe she really did advise her mother to get out and get a restraining order and I believe she's seen way more than we know). I don't think Macy will lie on the stand.

I'm stumped as to whether Barry actually had affairs. We all thought he did, but so far, no evidence that he did - except that he's with SD within two months after Suzanne disappears and SD's BF seems to believe she was already involved with Barry at the time of Suzanne's disappearance - that's just an intuition of mine after seeing his picture in the crowd at the first presser - but I think he knows when they got together).

At any rate, I'd make this trial about the dramatic story of a beautiful young woman who marries a man who truly believes he's in charge of her and that physical intimidation is just how he roles. If Barry is acquitted (by those 1-2 jurors who deep inside agree with him), at least the story of Suzanne's life, her endurance of DV, and the fact that apparently happy, well-to-do families may not actually be happy. That "Godly" men are capable of deception and I'd want to leave the jurors with a strong notion of Barry Morphew as deceptive and the exact opposite of what some members of his community thought him to be.

And I"d fervently hope that he was found guilty of all the charges, but if not, at least of felony possession of an illegal weapon and felony deception of the 8 LE/public officials. Because I do not want Barry to own any guns or be in possession of any guns for the rest of his life.

No more hunting for Barry.

snipped
The water ways in the area were pretty thoroughly searched by trained professionals. That is well documented. Areas of water were also searched by non-professionals. It's entirely possible she is in water somewhere else, like the Blue Mesa or somewhere, but I think we will never find out because the case is centered on May 9 and 10 and the body was moved by Barry during a particular timeframe and that is what prosecution is working with. There is always that slim possibility that something will turn up between now and trial if it goes to trial that would "change" the prosecution story they have outlined in the AA.

@Tiff23fr Thanks for asking about my (amateur) game plan. I'd love to bounce my ideas off of you (we're in similar fields) and also off the legal eagles here.

Then I'd do all his lies in a big chart (how his story changed many times). The reset of the truck's GPS would be part of this (another set of experts here - to do car and phone GPS, including from a third phone which I believe he used in this crime and evidence of Suzanne's phone from the Cloud). I know Barry made more than just trash run stops and that LE has evidence of him out and about on May 9-10 (the evidence that caused Monarch Pass highway to be shut for a day - even if they didn't find much, they had reason to believe Barry had been in certain places - where Suzanne's body may still be hidden). I'd describe the searches for Suzanne and why Barry was excluded from official searches and how he behaved when Andy tried to search. I'd put Andy on the stand. His lack of cooperation and lying to the investigators needs to be strongly emphasized (not just because of that one charge, but for the whole case). He had knowledge of his own guilt. He also lies. I'd include lies told to the Moorman family about not being part of the loan (despite borrowing money to invest in community property). I'd include his lying about working on Sunday in Broomfield.

I 100% agree with this. A big chart with lies on one side and proven evidence of that lie on the other. Barry said X, we saw a video showing Y, etc. One right after the other. That will be a very powerful visual to a jury and will be hard for the defense to counter.

Wrt: COUNT 2: TAMPERING WITH A DECEASED HUMAN BODY, C.R.S. 18-8-610.5 (F3){26065}
Per 2016 Colorado Revised Statutes :: Title 18 - :: Criminal Code :: Article 8 - :: Offenses - Governmental Operations :: Part 6 - :: Offenses Relating to Judicial and Other Proceedings :: § 18-8-610.5. Tampering with a deceased human body:

(1) A person commits tampering with a deceased human body if, believing that an official proceeding is pending, in progress, or about to be instituted and acting without legal right or authority, the person willfully destroys, mutilates, conceals, removes, or alters a human body, part of a human body, or human remains with intent to impair its or their appearance or availability in the official proceedings.

Amateur question here, but why this additional charge on top of the murder charge? Or is this relatively normal in the absence of a body?

(TL;DR - DV; timeline; witness will show motive, means and opportunity to commit the crime of murdering Suzanne Morphew).

Domestic violence and the danger of divorce would be my first topic, with all the evidence of Barry's pre-disappearance control (an expert witness on DV; Barry controlling the money; SO's and Suzanne's sister's testimony about a violent marriage; probably put the daughter who recommended a restraining order on the stand (gently) and I'd also ask her if the door frame had been broken the last time she was at the house; the nose clipping event; the times he pinned her down to the bed; the time he threw her into a closet and held a gun to his head; all his suicide messages; then put the expert back on the stand to give a statement about how suicidal controlling spouses often turn homicidal. The fact that women are most vulnerable to murder (femicide) when they try to leave would get hammered home. I'd also have a chart of all the things that constitute DV (it's not just punching people, shoving and blocking exits and "clipping" in the face while making wild hand gestures, getting in someone's face, yelling, threatening, financial control, sexual control, implicit threats of violence - such as "bumping" one's big muscular body up against someone to herd them around as if they are a deer, religious control, gaslighting, blaming the victim - all of that needs to be discussed and good graphics made). How abusers try to isolate the victim more and more, to control and to silence them.

Then I'd start the timeline of how Suzanne planned to leave (starting with her financial moves to try and get some money to go, constantly reiterating how secretive she needed to be). Starting May 6, the timeline will ramp up and begin to include Barry Morphew's opportunity (daughters gone, Suzanne alone, poor cellular connection, distance between houses in that area;) and his motivation (financial and she's leaving). I'd go into Barry Morphew's financial patterns (including his dependence on Suzanne for big sums of money). Barry's actions from May 6-11th would be combed over with a fine tooth comb. He has no alibi. I'd try to establish that his financial motivation was huge, that he carried a gun around the house, that he admitted shooting the gun on May 9th, and I'd introduce the broken door frame. I'd have a map of the larger area and another of the PP house. I'd include the elk head with flesh attached outside the house to attract mountain lions, I'd include his rapid move to get conservatorship, his getting rid of Suzanne's things, his bizarre statement about saving just one person, his exchange of his truck for a new one, and his selling of the RR (maybe two RR's) and his sale of the Indiana house. I'd hope that SO has information about Suzanne wanting to move back to Indiana. I'd bring in any witnesses who could explain that Barry believed only death could end a marriage and Suzanne's statements about Barry permitting no discussion of divorce ("because it will never happen.") Here, I believe it's tricky. Surely JL can testify to Suzanne's reasoning about divorce, at least to some degree. Anyway, this would be the timeline section (I'm really good at drawing timelines myself, with color coding and I would have slides and when all the timeline was put together, it would be highly incriminating). Barry had opportunity, he had means, he had motive. The scratch marks would be presented in this part. I'd probably also have a local LE witness talk about how it's a small town and many already knew Barry and that his reputation as a friendly, God-loving man made them reluctant to draw the conclusion that he was a murderer, and have that person tell why their mind changed. I'd include his attempt to influence MG as a witness. I'd include the lies he told to his nephew (put the nephew on the stand).

I'd include the financial forensics in the timeline section. This would include all the evidence the Suzanne did not voluntarily leave.

There'd be quite a bit of testimony, but I'd boil it down to a simple timeline and that timeline would be there at the summation. Obviously, the trash dump would be a big part of it.

Then I'd do all his lies in a big chart (how his story changed many times). The reset of the truck's GPS would be part of this (another set of experts here - to do car and phone GPS, including from a third phone which I believe he used in this crime and evidence of Suzanne's phone from the Cloud). I know Barry made more than just trash run stops and that LE has evidence of him out and about on May 9-10 (the evidence that caused Monarch Pass highway to be shut for a day - even if they didn't find much, they had reason to believe Barry had been in certain places - where Suzanne's body may still be hidden). I'd describe the searches for Suzanne and why Barry was excluded from official searches and how he behaved when Andy tried to search. I'd put Andy on the stand. His lack of cooperation and lying to the investigators needs to be strongly emphasized (not just because of that one charge, but for the whole case). He had knowledge of his own guilt. He also lies. I'd include lies told to the Moorman family about not being part of the loan (despite borrowing money to invest in community property). I'd include his lying about working on Sunday in Broomfield. The reset of the GPS would be emphasized as evidence that Suzanne was disposed of. I'd certainly mention the tranquilizer material, of course and bring in an expert to tell how that would help Barry avoid certain kinds of forensic evidence.

Then I'd wrap up with witnesses who could speak for Suzanne in some way. If that one pastor can be brought to the stand to repeat what Barry said to her, that'd be great too. But I'd have SO back on the stand, Suzanne's sister, one or both of the daughters, anyone who could read out Suzanne's grievance list, the texts between Suzanne and her supporters. If necessary, I'd address the issue of why they left Indiana (if defense claims it's due to the affair, I'd counter with it was due to Barry becoming increasingly violent - even in the workplace, of which there are two examples where there are witnesses). I'd imply that Suzanne wanted out, but that Barry had cornered her.

(And then I think about getting lucky...does the prosecution have witnesses from the gym who might know if Barry used steroids? Because I think he did...did Suzanne reveal anything to the Ritters about the state of the marriage - that would a lucky break; what about that DV group? etc What does SD know? )

I'd take the risk of putting one or both daughters on the stand, or at least Macy (I believe she really did advise her mother to get out and get a restraining order and I believe she's seen way more than we know). I don't think Macy will lie on the stand.

I'm stumped as to whether Barry actually had affairs. We all thought he did, but so far, no evidence that he did - except that he's with SD within two months after Suzanne disappears and SD's BF seems to believe she was already involved with Barry at the time of Suzanne's disappearance - that's just an intuition of mine after seeing his picture in the crowd at the first presser - but I think he knows when they got together).

At any rate, I'd make this trial about the dramatic story of a beautiful young woman who marries a man who truly believes he's in charge of her and that physical intimidation is just how he roles. If Barry is acquitted (by those 1-2 jurors who deep inside agree with him), at least the story of Suzanne's life, her endurance of DV, and the fact that apparently happy, well-to-do families may not actually be happy. That "Godly" men are capable of deception and I'd want to leave the jurors with a strong notion of Barry Morphew as deceptive and the exact opposite of what some members of his community thought him to be.

And I"d fervently hope that he was found guilty of all the charges, but if not, at least of felony possession of an illegal weapon and felony deception of the 8 LE/public officials. Because I do not want Barry to own any guns or be in possession of any guns for the rest of his life.

No more hunting for Barry.
I personally would not start with DV....it's an aggravator not a charge. But if the prosecution can follow your suggestions in 15 minutes that they have coming on the 17th that would be good. Because preliminary allows for way more leniency around hearsay and character than will ever be allowed at trial it could get the prosecution over the hump and on to trial. Trial, of course, is a whole different animal and hearsay and characterizations are not allowed as easily as in a preliminary. I think it would also depend if alot of the things you mentioned are in evidence. I'm not sure about that...the Elk head for instance could be long gone to a processor or taxidermist for the 9th and 10th and the securing of the house. Right now the alleged affairs that Barry had are a non-starter also as prosecution has said they could not find any current affairs. That could change of course between the prelim and trial. I have to think also if the prosecution had someone who sold Barry steroids it might have come out - but perhaps they didn't think they needed it in the prelim.

WOW! More than just a scrape!
It's always curious to me when we have a highly pixelated image here how folks can see all sorts of things in it, and others can't see a thing. I work with photoshop every day in my professional life, and that image wouldn't pass anyone's professional sniff test since it's at such a low resolution and clarity. There could be scratches on his arm, but I'm not seeing them in this image.

I wonder if we actually saw the boots without the laces or if it is just another excuse that Barry made up to cover his butt.

He seems to think quick on his feet to come with an answer for everything he is asked whether it is the truth or a lie.

Yes, that comes from a lifetime of using lies and being charming to get away with anything and everything. Only his father seems to have tried to reign him in (but only while heavily stroking his narcissism by believing Barry could make it to the Big Leagues - and that Barry ought to make it to the Big Leagues).

Otherwise, Barry was able to lie his way out of many things, all his life. He told the person who gave him the Broomfield wall contract that of course he knew what he was doing (a lie), but in fact he didn't really know Colorado standards for highway-side retaining walls, their design, function and how to execute the plans provided. The wall was pronounced defective. He had to fix it for free and in the end, another company fixed it (and it now looks like a typical, smoothly and well made highway side retaining wall, instead of cinder blocks raggedly put together).

Barry told Gene that "Suzanne borrowed the $100,000," not him when he knew full well that he shared that debt with his wife, legally. He acted as if he was responsible for the wealth that bought the PP house, but it was really Suzanne's parents (in for $600,000 that we know about, with the previous owners accepting a balloon payment later on - for which they needed to sell the Indiana house, which Suzanne's parents had also helped them buy).

Barry lied about his employees being "meth heads." And in addition to lying, he's amazingly unethical. Sure, JP had a criminal record (which is why Barry wanted him along that day - trying to think of a way to throw JP under the bus), but announcing that to the world (as Barry did) was cruel and unnecessary.

I think Barry lied about not knowing about the affair. I wonder what Barry said when LE asked him about the broken door frame. "A bull moose came in the house about a week before..."

BTW, I believe at least one reporter tweeted that the State said the doorframe was broken and there were "shards" of wood. Shards of wood from broken doors gradually break off, as people continue to pass through the door. Most people would sand that down, if only to avoid snagging their clothes on the shards. I'm betting some were on the carpet (indicating it was very recent...)

I wonder what Barry said about the GPS reset on the truck. "Oh, that truck just does that...on its own...disconnects its own battery somehow and somehow resets itself, that's why I wanted a new truck."

I also believe he lied about the shoelaces (and did so because he thought the boots might still be found and be laceless - the laces were almost certainly involved in the crime somehow and will never be found). He lied about going to the Spa store on Saturday afternoon, he lied about the one plate steak dinner, he lied to the Registrar of Voters when he signed that ballot envelope, he lied to the people at the Poncha Springs store about why he was digging through the trash, and he lied when he said "I don't recall" 95 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xGothicBreenax