Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe someone contacted LE when they heard SM was missing and had some things to say?
Maybe the perp himself had some things anonymously to say and immediately tried to complicate the investigation?

Maybe, someone who is responsible (other than BM), has had positive experiences in the past, when an absent husband of a missing/murdered wife ended up in the crossfire of the investigation for years to come. If there are enough issues, the spouses had before, and if the husband behaves somewhat composed (too much) and strange after his wife went missing (or got murdered), the husband will remain a poi/suspect for a long time. At least SocialM will be full of speculations; reading there might be a welcome variety in perp's life. Maybe, this perp abducted Suzanne after stalking her, left her somewhere, and in the future he will enjoy the speculations and the high-profile investigation. A pity for him, that LE/FBI shut down their information on this case. Perhaps he will make efforts to learn something from LE/FBI, but hopefully he won't succeed. - All MOO.
This case seems to be very special. I will see, if I'm wrong. ;)

I just had a thought. Many of us believe that LE zeroed in on one suspect very quickly, hence the lack of good descriptions of SM, bolo’s etc. So what would make them zero in that fast?

From my experiences as a prosecutor & defense attorney, an investigator's viewpoint is often framed by the first account of an incident. For example, in domestic violence situation, the responding officer's report will often track the account of the victim, who is most often interviewed first and is usually -- but not always -- female. Of course, this is so because very often that victim's story really is the accurate one.

However, what if the alleged perpetrator says that he was acting in self-defense? Good officers will seek evidence of this to supplement any reports: broken items, defensive wounds, eyewitness accounts. Unfortunately, this does not always happen due to laziness, time pressures, uncooperative witnesses, etc. As a result, the "first account" tends to stick, for good or ill.

In Suzanne Morphew's case, all we know is that a neighbor reported Suzanne as missing. We don't know what else -- if anything -- may have been told to the sheriff's office, so I cannot say whether any information given by said neighbor may have contributed to investigators "zeroing in" on one suspect.

If the neighbor calls in this type of of situation (family concerned about mom/wife who is not responding), would the police be allowed to enter the house to “check on” Suzanne?

I also wonder if the police called BM while he was driving home. Maybe he pulled over to speak to them, and that explains his possibly delayed arrival.

MOO

I’m guessing if allowed, the family that put up the additional $100k

Not sure which "additional $100k" you're referring to. Reportedly, the husband put up the initial $100k around May 13, and the next day an unnamed family friend matched the husband's reward for a total at $200k.

Around the end of May, there was a tweet that another unnamed friend added another $10k but this contribution has never been noted on the FB missing page by the family so don't know if it's verified.

If the neighbor calls in this type of of situation (family concerned about mom/wife who is not responding), would the police be allowed to enter the house to “check on” Suzanne?

I also wonder if the police called BM while he was driving home. Maybe he pulled over to speak to them, and that explains his possibly delayed arrival.

MOO

Yes "welfare / wellness checks" are legal to be done by police. They happen all the time, across the U.S.

Source

IMO

Yes "welfare / wellness checks" are legal to be done by police. They happen all the time, across the U.S.

Source

IMO

Yes, I was wondering if this was reported simply as a wellness check.

Since LE can enter for a wellness check, would they naturally walk the whole interior and look for her, possibly passed out in a bathroom or wherever?

It would give LE an opportunity to take in a lot of information. What would you expect to see if one person got up that morning and left for a bike ride? I’m thinking of details like dishes, toothbrush, alarm, bed made, etc.

What might you find if a woman disappeared from her home without planning to leave? Again, I’m thinking of details a woman might typically take care of, that a man might not notice “undone”.

MOO

Maybe the perp himself had some things anonymously to say and immediately tried to complicate the investigation?

Maybe, someone who is responsible (other than BM), has had positive experiences in the past, when an absent husband of a missing/murdered wife ended up in the crossfire of the investigation for years to come. If there are enough issues, the spouses had before, and if the husband behaves somewhat composed (too much) and strange after his wife went missing (or got murdered), the husband will remain a poi/suspect for a long time. At least SocialM will be full of speculations; reading there might be a welcome variety in perp's life. Maybe, this perp abducted Suzanne after stalking her, left her somewhere, and in the future he will enjoy the speculations and the high-profile investigation. A pity for him, that LE/FBI shut down their information on this case. Perhaps he will make efforts to learn something from LE/FBI, but hopefully he won't succeed. - All MOO.

Ok, out of lurking, your post just gave me chills! As did another poster here who has seemed to gone quiet after posting some interesting stuff.

You said this case is special, care to elaborate?

I get that BM is the obvious here, it just seems like he/his story, especially with social media and things like DM would have “cracked” a bit by now if it were him. This leaves me unsure. But this doesn’t sway me that BM is not Perp, I do think it could be stalker, or possibly random opportunity- the RV Park is very concerning- CO is very transient- many passing through, a lot of creepers- IME/IMO

I know it’s special to me...I am very attached to SM’s disappearance, we share the same birthday, I’m in CO -so yes, I’m intently reading every word here and in the news.

I just want to know exactly what happened to Suzanne! :(

of course/ just in case IMO.

Ok, out of lurking, your post just gave me chills! As did another poster here who has seemed to gone quiet after posting some interesting stuff.

You said this case is special, care to elaborate?

I get that BM is the obvious here, it just seems like he/his story, especially with social media and things like DM would have “cracked” a bit by now if it were him. This leaves me unsure. But this doesn’t sway me that BM is not Perp, I do think it could be stalker, or possibly random opportunity- the RV Park is very concerning- CO is very transient- many passing through, a lot of creepers- IME/IMO

I know it’s special to me...I am very attached to SM’s disappearance, we share the same birthday, I’m in CO -so yes, I’m intently reading every word here and in the news.

I just want to know exactly what happened to Suzanne! :(

of course/ just in case IMO.
I agree w/ both of you. IMO there is just as much reason to believe BM is innocent as there is to believe him guilty, based on actual evidence. Assume him innocent , then you have to consider the random stranger or stalking. IMO there had to be some stalking, because of the remote location.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I don't know if I can prove with MSM that there's a banner at the pool, but I know that there is for sure. Technically what I know is that there was one there Wednesday but I haven't driven by since. A short few weeks ago there was a really bad windstorm that took out trees. Many smaller (paper) signs might not have survived. There are smaller signs in downtown businesses.
A livecam in Salida also shows a banner across the street.

Salida WebCam Hwy 50 West Rocky Mountain Jeep Rentals Colorado | ColoradoWebCam.Net - Colorado WebCams

You make several good points that could easily explain some of the questions we still have. A stalking kidnapping IS different, and the SO still has to be ruled out. MOO
So that would explain the speed toward BM, clearing him , while focusing on the stalking at the same time.
These are going to be difficult to solve especially when you have a tourist community...Myrtle Beach, SC comes to mind. It’s not the legitimate tourists committing the crimes, it’s the ones who slip below the radar.

Many on this thread have alluded to "most likely scenario". I did some research to find statistics, and now I understand why. The US Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics published "Homicide Trends in the United States"--the publication date is not cited on the online document, but data ends in 2005--and "Homicide Trends in the United States, 1980-2008". Also, these publications, "Rural and Urban Trends in Family and Intimate Partner Homicide: 1980-1999" and "Female Victims of Violence" are interesting. You can always look at data selectively, but my reading of the charts/graphs is that:
-The trend shows that 40-45 % of all female homicides are committed by an "intimate" partner;
-The undated report says that in the 45-49 age group, only 40% of female homicides are committed by an intimate, but then it says over 65% of all female homicides are committed by "unknown" (I read that as unsolved cases);
-Guns and knives are the weapons of choice for a husband killing his wife, accounting for 93% of all such homicides;
-Intimate partner homicide rates in rural areas trend about 3 times higher than in urban/suburban areas.​

These are just statistics. Someone has to commit the crimes on the fringes of the bell curve. I will wait and see how this case falls out.

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf (Homicide Trends in the United States, 1980-2008)
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htius.pdf (Homicide Trends in the United States)
https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/208344.pdf (Rural and Urban Trends in Family and Intimate Partner Homicide: 1980-1999)
https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fvv.pdf (Female Victims of Violence)

I don't think it's been confirmed one way or the other. The reporter interviewed by Nancy Grace claimed the neighbor said she did see her on the bike while another source interviewed the stepmother of SM's daughter's friend, who said nobody saw her. Yet the DM said the neighbor declined an interview so I doubt anybody ever spoke to her. Jmo

Hi MsBetsy
Here is the link to the podcast and audio.
Listen to the Crime Stories with Nancy Grace Episode - Gorgeous Colorado mom disappears on bike ride. Hubby says he was out of town. on iHeartRadio | iHeartRadio

Then there was this statement in MSM:
The 49-year-old Maysville woman was last seen going for a bike ride.
Authorities cordon off home of missing Chaffee County woman

The stepmother's statement was in the DM (also quoted in crimeonline and the sun) a couple of days later. I agree that it has not been confirmed one way or the other.

Not sure which "additional $100k" you're referring to. Reportedly, the husband put up the initial $100k around May 13, and the next day an unnamed family friend matched the husband's reward for a total at $200k.

Around the end of May, there was a tweet that another unnamed friend added another $10k but this contribution has never been noted on the FB missing page by the family so don't know if it's verified.
The matching $100K from family friend unnamed, I know their name though

I’m guessing if allowed, the family that put up the additional $100k
You're correct about it being a family friend.
The father of the youngest daughter's' boyfriend.
The name is out in the public but has not been confirmed by msm yet.

The matching $100K from family friend unnamed, I know their name though
Since your post stayed put and is allowed, yes, many know the name.
The question is : Is it just 'hot air' ?
Or does that person/family actually have that sum if Suzanne is found ?
Good points, 303gmf !

IMO

The stipulation is that SM be returned safe for the $210K to be awarded. Obviously, SM is not safe and is most likely not alive, so no payout will ever occur.

/IMO
Exactly - but I do wonder if the family friend actually made a $100K deposit like you have to do with crimestoppers?
IMO

Thanks for your support and the question...I think a preliminary step for LE would have been to reach out to SM's neighbors immediately requesting that they save any outdoor camera related video tape; as a preliminary step LE would have also canvassed the Salidas residents for relevant information/camera footage, etc. In other words, several investigative steps that LE took after they dug deep into SM's husband for evidence that he was responsible for her disappearance should have been done in the very beginning when SM was reported missing. A wide net around the area of her disappearance should have been cast with investigators gathering as much as they could from sources that could have provided leads that were possibly lost because no one was looking beyond the assumption that BLM had something to do with his missing wife.
Hi @trujac. Here is my take on this. It is MOO. When LE first got the call, it was from a neighbor who told them that SM had reportedly gone for a bicycle ride and had not returned. We do not know who told the neighbor this. The call was at approximately 5:46 pm. We know that BM was not home at this time. He stated that he arrived home from Denver at approximately 9:00p.m. that evening. We do not know when the daughters arrived home. We do not know if the neighbor met LE at the Morphew house or her own house. It has been speculated that either the daughters or BM called the neighbor when they could not reach SM on Mother’s Day. They may have asked the neighbor to check the house for her car, which was there, or her bike, which was not. LE may even have called either BM or the daughters from the scene to get as much info as possible i.e. when they last spoke to her, saw her, what her usual bike routes were, etc. We have not received any reports that anyone saw SM on her bike that day.
Knowing they only had a couple of hours of daylight left, LE immediately began searching the area. I’m sure the original theory, based on information they had at that time, would have been medical emergency or accident. Thought may also have been given to an animal attack.
We do know that the bike was found that night. We don’t know by whom or what time, what position it was in, or what condition it was in. We do know that LE requested, and received from the DOC, up to eight tracking dogs. They also called in help from nearby police agencies. By Monday, there were over 100 law enforcement, the aforementioned tracking dogs, SAR teams, and divers searching the area. They continued these searches at least until the following Sunday when there were still divers photographed in the ponds, rivers, and creeks in the area. On Thursday they discovered some personal items of SM’s near the intersection of 225 and 50 which led them to close a big stretch of Hwy 50 west so they could search there.
We do not know if when they searched the immediate area near SM’s home, they asked neighbors what they might have seen and if they had video cameras. There are about a half dozen homes or less near the Morphew home. Most sit on tracts of land of many acres. Some of these few homes are used as Airbnb’s or vacation homes. Because of COVID many were not occupied.
This is a very isolated area. I am attaching a photo of the Morphew neigborhood as well as a photo of the area between the Morphews’ and Salida, which is about 18 miles away. Hwy 50, which runs between them, is a well-traveled road, but there is mostly forest and open land around it. I think the maps illustrate how rural this area is. Canvassing here is not like canvassing a city or suburban area. Canvassing in a town almost 20 miles away would have to be for something or someone in particular. We don’t even have a good physical description of SM or her clothing. Likewise, footage on a busy road does not help much unless you are looking for a particular vehicle. How would you track down every vehicle that drove through the area?
Although you think that LE skipped preliminary steps and immediately focused on BM, IMO I think LE did everything early on to try to find a missing woman who did not return from a bicycle ride. I think when they were able to rule out accident, medical emergency, or animal attack, is when they began to shift focus.

Attachments

• D6E23272-8DBB-47F5-A6C4-E3105CBD0CB2.jpeg
    D6E23272-8DBB-47F5-A6C4-E3105CBD0CB2.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 0D29D96C-68F7-4D59-A66C-02D544E19BCE.jpeg
    0D29D96C-68F7-4D59-A66C-02D544E19BCE.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 37

Good points, 303gmf !

Really? I never heard that-it truly is out in the public but unconfirmed? I never would have thought that this was the family friend- I was thinking it might be a BM friend. There was a name mentioned in the beginning.

Good points, 303gmf !

^This^!!!!!!

Exactly, these are the stories the DM LIVES for! Where is the story in the DM or anywhere else on the people who matched the reward and their statements and involvement in all of this, surely they have something to say if they are willing to put up $100k. We know who they are, it’s no state secret- why is there no news coverage of the banners /ribbons etc...going up around town? I live here, there is practically zilch- never have I ever seen anything like this, why? Just no follow up, crickets. Not even rumors, except one that seemingly went nowhere- just not normal- something, many things simply not adding up, I’ve tried now to work this equation a million times it seems.

Compare this to the non stop media circus that was KB- and that to me was so obvious was PF- with the history of relationship/custody issues ongoing-add a non cooperative middle aged guy living with mom- this case doesn’t have those obvious perp flashing neon lights!!

Seems even the media is distancing themselves from SM- why? Never have I ever...????

ETA: IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member