Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your post, mentioning how 'adventurous' she was , and how 'uprooting' this was ---made me wonder about her recent health scare.

She must have been confident that she was over her cancer scare because she seemingly moved pretty far away from her previous doctors and clinics. I doubt Salida has the kinds of medical resources she needed previously. JMO
Actually Salida has more health services than you’d expect, both Heart of the Rockies and Rocky Mountain Cancer Center are located in town

This has been bothering me. Does SM have no living close relatives? No mother, father, sister or brother? I don't understand why no one is speaking up. Pleading with the public for information. I can't help but feel rather sad that no next of kin feels the need to speak on her behalf (except her nephew, or her husbands nephew, of course).
I would guess, having a family member (or friend) go missing so unexpectedly, and probably not living close to her when it happens, must be incredibly troubling, shocking even, even in normal times. How to handle news like that?

With the CoVid fears and guidelines to stay home, wear masks, social distance, etc..I can see it being even more difficult to navigate. I back away from my delivery folks and mailman when they approach, so imagine having the press wanting to interview you (if they are). Possibly family is involved, just not to the point of being noticed (or discussed here).

On another note, but following the same thoughts, getting close enough to attack/abduct/harm another person during this time, makes me consider some points about a person(s) who would do such a thing at this time. This might be someone who either knows her and has been around Suzanne enough not to worry, or someone who has no fear of potentially catching any virus from her (or anyone), or simply someone who cannot control impulses regardless. It would be impossible not to come in close contact with any chosen victim and be thoroughly protected yourself.

If this makes any sense and JMO, of course. It's something that has been on my mind regarding any crime at this moment in our lives.

Regarding cellular phone service in general:
The three screenshots show accurately mapped, engineered coverage from Salida up Monarch Pass for AT&T, T Mobile, and Verizon that are on Cellmappers.com. In the real world, cellular connection varies a lot based on the actual location of the phone at the time of a call. A short summary of actual user reviews on other sites indicate that general coverage is good on 4G LTE from Salida up to about the intersection of Highway 50 and County Road 225 (where the search was centered), but only AT&T has 100% reliable service on Highway 50 all the way to the top of Monarch.
The link to Cellmappers is provided, but it is an engineering site. It is tedious to navigate and not at all intuitive, and it is impossible for me to to provide a direct link to the information I have captured by screen shots. I've placed a red star on each screenshot at the approximate location of Highway 50 and Road 225. The town of Salida (elevation 7,038 ft)is at the right edge of each, with the route of Highway 50 indicated by the multi-colored individual test reception locations. In general, the top of Monarch is at the extreme left. At least in communications testing, a cell phone is usable all along Highway 50 to the top, at 11,312 ft elevation.
In summary, my opinion is that SM would have been wise to carry a cell phone. Coverage is spotty anywhere in the Colorado mountains, but she was certainly not in a total coverage void. IMO
Cellular Tower and Signal Map

Attachments

• AT T_2020-05-17 CellMapper.png
    AT T_2020-05-17 CellMapper.png
    481.5 KB · Views: 24
  • T Mobile_2020-05-17 CellMapper.png
    T Mobile_2020-05-17 CellMapper.png
    483.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Verizon_2020-05-17 CellMapper.png
    Verizon_2020-05-17 CellMapper.png
    545.4 KB · Views: 20
<modsnip: quoted post was modsnipped> ... it was 3 different people involved in this.
Hubby and a family friend each put up 100K as a reward for her safe return, and it was her nephew who started the go f*nd me account, to help feed, shelter and look after those who were volunteering to help search.
So, all the monies have been allocated for different things, and that's reasonable.
Searchers & those volunteering still need a place to sleep and something to eat, and those things aren't free.

jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
My questions/thoughts about the bike.

IMO, something about the bike told the immediate story that something was very wrong and LE should be notified. Was the bike mangled? Was it, maybe, burned? Both of those things would make me immediately concerned enough to call the police. Of course, if I found the bike in tact and knew who it belonged to and that person were no where to be found, that would also lead me to be concerned enough that I would likely call police, so I don't know where I am going with this line of thinking. Do we know if the bike was found by the road or in the mountains?

Re: the husband....I have watched enough Dateline and followed enough cases to know that the husband being out of town in NO WAY eliminates him as a suspect. Concurrently, I am not ready to say I am confident he is involved in anything nefarious but I certainly haven't ruled it out.

Another case of sitting on the very uncomfortable fence.

So these are the only scenarios I can think of (obviously some are outlandish and some have already been dismissed):

1. Went for bike ride and was attacked by animal;
2. Went for bike ride and was abducted by a bad guy;
3. Went for bike ride and became disoriented/ill and is lost;
4. Went for bike ride in order to isolate and harm herself;
5. House broken into by bad guy and she was abducted. (Tons of options here - stranger, spouse’s lover, her lover, either lover’s spouse, former student, etc. )
6. Killed by <modsnip> other close person and bike ride scenario was staged.

Am I missing anything?

I am sadly leaning toward what happened to her being very close to home, but there’s a little part of me still wondering if it has to do with some sort of “business” dealings (owing people money, stepping on toes—being new in area?, crossing wrong people etc.) Just because the family is SO absent (except a nephew) and LE is SO quiet about anything of substance. Do they know who took her and it’s a delicate situation? Or is it the usual suspect? She could have been a victim of opportunity, but I just don’t really think so. I think she would have been found if that were the case. I hope she is found today!

So these are the only scenarios I can think of (obviously some are outlandish and some have already been dismissed):

5. House broken into by bad guy and she was abducted. (Tons of options here - stranger, spouse’s lover, her lover, either lover’s spouse, former student, etc. )

Am I missing anything?
Addressing #'s 5 & 6; I haven't read anywhere that the house and area surrounding the house has been taped off and sealed and that teams were in there searching and or removing items of evidence. That search would have taken several hours and many LE vehicles and yet it hasn't been reported in MSM. It seems that if there was an idea of violent attack inside the house that would have hit the news.
Also, where are the husband and daughter staying now, at the house? That would seem odd to me if there were evidence of her abduction or killing there.

Am I missing anything?

7. Went for a bike ride and was hit by an inattentive driver who panicked and disposed of her body and belongings elsewhere.

Just a suggestion, it's happened before.

That's actually very interesting - would make the move more attractive, imo, to be near a cancer center.

jmo

Very necessary in rural/remote areas like CO where winter weather can prevent patients from getting treatment. Many would otherwise have to move to nearby cities, seeking temporary accommodations. There's also very big profits in providing chemotherapy and other cancer care, so docs are usually willing to do it, as long as they don't have to serve uninsured patients.

The fact that her bike was found on the same day she disappeared, makes it seem like it was close to the home or somewhere along a trail and not concealed. The personal item was found days later. That could indicate that it was found some distance away from the bike and/or it was concealed. If something was just lying next to a path it would have been spotted sooner. (IMO)

Any close ups of her house show a ring doorbell camera ? Any map show her bike route to trailhead pass by any houses or houses with ring camera doorbells? Would million dollar house have security alarms with camera"s. Did million dollar house have backup generator in any photos ? In my opinion living remote would require additional safeguards mentioned above for my family and double that if I traveled and family home alone. In my opinion I would also have a maintenance contract to make sure everything was working. In other words if I wanted to try to make sure moving to a isolated area was safe, with google search now decades old- I would have to know the lack of camera's and alarms and security put my family at high risk-uneeded risk imo.

The fact that her bike was found on the same day she disappeared, makes it seem like it was close to the home or somewhere along a trail and not concealed. The personal item was found days later. That could indicate that it was found some distance away from the bike and/or it was concealed. If something was just lying next to a path it would have been spotted sooner. (IMO)
That's why a "last seen alive" time is so important. Was there time since"last seen alive" for her to be far away from where that bike was found on Sunday?

Just because she was reported missing Sunday afternoon doesn't necessarily mean that she went missing Sunday afternoon, though it could.

I remain on the fence....but am really curious about "last seen alive."

jmo

That's why a "last seen alive" time is so important. Was there time since"last seen alive" for her to be far away from where that bike was found on Sunday?

Just because she was reported missing Sunday afternoon doesn't necessarily mean that she went missing Sunday afternoon, though it could.

jmo

Yes im curious too!
Thinking of Suzanne her family and hope she is found soon.

I just relistened to sheriff's presser and he definitely says found items (plural). Says it twice in fact and that it was the reason for the search farther west along the main road. 90 searchers /2.5 sq mi searched and nothing else found that day (while searching).

Sounds correct that items were found away from and later than the bike. Still not know where that was found, though.

jmo

Only explanation I can come up with for LE not giving a "last seen alive" time to the public is if they don't trust it and don't want the investigation to get steered down the wrong road.

JMO

Am I missing anything?

Staged a bike ride and self-disappeared.
(I'm not sure I even believe that, but it's certainly a possibility.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member