Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re. Colorado

Does anybody else recall when police responded to the welfare check for Shan'ann Watt's called in by her friend and when police arrived, they circled around the house and garage, trying to peer through the windows, saying they could not break-in?

Perhaps the police could not break-in because the welfare check request was not from the homeowner?

I'm still thinking about this Welfare Check and how it seems to be different depending on the state and now it's bugging me!! :eek:

Chris found out the police were there so he finally came home and let the police, friend, and her son inside.

Police walked through all the rooms in the house, left, and went to the neighbor's house to watch the surveillance video.
Yes, in the Watt's case they said they could not enter unless there were obvious signs that she was in distress. I think the police officer gave the example of seeing her lying on the floor (through a window) as one reason they could enter without permission from the homeowner. He said he couldn't enter just because no one answered the door.

Imo

Last edited:
I think it will not be completely inconsequential. It either points to a direction taken by Suzanne (or her abductor/murderer) or it doesn't.

If LE thinks it's irrelevant and doesn't use that piece of evidence, then I think that's a win for the defense. How can it be irrelevant? Either Suzanne left it there in some way, or it was planted.

If LE believes she left it there but it means nothing in a case against BM, then there's a strong reason to suspect that LE has no explanation whatsoever for that item being there.

It can't just be lying around and without explanation. If it is her item.

How can it possibly be inconsequential??

I’ll try a hypothetical. Daughter mentions to LE that Mom told her she lost her ______(fill in the blank), on a bike ride last week.

This is speculation.

What if BM was unreachable for the girls at the time they found out that their mom was missing and that's why the neighbor called LE.
With the excuse, being hard at work. That does explain why he got back so late. He was not aware of the commotion.

Jmo

Last edited:
This is speculation.

What if BM was unreachable for the girls at the time they found out that their mom was missing and that's why the neighbor called LE.
With the excuse, being hard at work. That does explain why he got back so late. He was not aware of the commotion.

Jmo

So where was his cell phone? Turned off? Why?
If he left it in his truck while using the heavy equipment, as soon as he was done, parked the equipment, returned to his truck, he would have checked his phone.

If he left it in his truck while using the heavy equipment, as soon as he was done, parked the equipment, returned to his truck, he would have checked his phone.
We own a contracting company too. When heavy equipment is going on it can be nearly impossible to hear one's phone. Perhaps that is what happened although iirc BM was the one that asked the neighbor to call 911.

Is it just me because Scott Peterson ( and many more, wont bore you) comes to mind.
The husband ironically happens to be far away when the wife goes missing.
If only one of BM’s ducks lined up to clear him....hmmm. Why don’t they ?

MOO

We can use/source Barry's interview with TD.

Barry says " And the girls were running late so they texted happy mothers day . She didn’t text back so we went to well (sic) they called my neighbors and said Listen, it’s Mother day I’m a little worried and will you go check the house. And the neighbor checked the house saw that the car was there, but the bike was gone. She called me in Denver and said Hey we're just a little worried and I go well I am too. Why don’t we call the police to be safe.

Is it just me because Scott Peterson ( and many more, wont bore you) comes to mind.
The husband ironically happens to be far away when the wife goes missing.
If only one of BM’s ducks lined up to clear him....hmmm. Why don’t they ?

MOO

Bc the mountain lion ate the duck. Can’t you just see the feathers hanging out of the cat’s mouth?
Winter comes early in the mountains. I hope SM is found before long.

Is it possible her body is in a location in a direction opposite of search efforts? For example, if searches were conducted along the route to Denver, or where the items were located, is there a totally different direction that she could have been taken? I’m thinking outside of the box: Someplace other than the obvious. I’m leaning towards private land recently visited by BM. Perhaps it was used to hunt by BM and friends. If the area had been hunted several times and the hunters were familiar with the topography, it’s been searched, more than likely. But what if it is an area that was hunted once? Or perhaps the acreage had been for sale while the family was deciding on their new home? BM may have made a mental note of the homesite/ranch/ for sale area for future use, whether development or nefarious reasons. A random killer would not have had elaborate hiding, burying, or disposing plans. Her remains should have been discovered by now. So, what area(s) has/have not been searched?

Did he have an accomplice?

Respectfully, as to a 10-day gap before a search warrant, this only applies if you chose to believe Daily Mail's report (around May 19) stating that the residence was seized by police and BM barred from the property, since May 10 or the day SM reported missing.
snipped for clarity bbm
Lauren Scharf also alluded to the SW being issued on the 10th in the DWAP video.
In an interview Lauren Scharf asked CBI spokesperson Susan Medina
Q: When was the search warrant issued for Morphews home…was it May 10th from the beginning, because that’s what we’ve been told…that’s when we saw the tape around the house?
A The warrant is sealed.

Thinking outside of the box here so please indulge me.
I was listening to a podcast on FLETC about the execution of a search warrant. From the transcript...

Execution of a Search Warrant (I) (MP3) | FLETC

Q: After the judge issues the warrant, when should the officers actually go and execute?

A: There will be a date on the face of the search warrant. The officers should execute the warrant within ten days from the day it is issued unless there’s some other date specified on the face of that warrant.

So my question is, is there any chance that the FEDS obtained the search warrant and that the 10 days in question would be within their parameters?

There’s been a lot of discussion that LE is taking too long to do everything. This statement comes from the front page of the Rocky Mountain RCFL, the lab that is likely doing all the digital forensic work on this case:

COVID-19 OPERATING STATUS
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, the Rocky Mountain Regional Computer Forensic Lab (RMRCFL) has instituted the following operational changes. Effective on Thursday, March 19, 2020, the lab will be operating with minimal staffing until further notice. Access into the building is being limited to only assigned personnel. Because of this, we will not be accepting or releasing evidence to case agents, except those cases considered “critical” (child abduction, matters of national security, etc.) and all CAIR and LMK access will be closed. Also, if you currently have a case submitted to the RMRCFL, there may be a significant delay in completing the exam.

If you have any questions, please contact Lab Director Capt. Glenn Peitzmeier or Deputy Lab Director SA Doug Oliver at 303-649-7900.
snipped for clarity bbm
Lauren Scharf also alluded to the SW being issued on the 10th in the DWAP video.
In an interview Lauren Scharf asked CBI spokesperson Susan Medina
Q: When was the search warrant issued for Morphews home…was it May 10th from the beginning, because that’s what we’ve been told…that’s when we saw the tape around the house?
A The warrant is sealed.

Thinking outside of the box here so please indulge me.
I was listening to a podcast on FLETC about the execution of a search warrant. From the transcript...

Execution of a Search Warrant (I) (MP3) | FLETC

Q: After the judge issues the warrant, when should the officers actually go and execute?

A: There will be a date on the face of the search warrant. The officers should execute the warrant within ten days from the day it is issued unless there’s some other date specified on the face of that warrant.

So my question is, is there any chance that the FEDS obtained the search warrant and that the 10 days in question would be within their parameters?

And the crime labs may have been slow due to covid. Would it be unusual for the FEDS to search and not local LE? Moo

A personal item of Suzanne's was found, what is was and where it was found is another factor. She may have fallen in the river (doubtful in my mind ) but how did the 'item" get to X ? Say it was her helmet or camelback, that would play a huge part in this scenario.

The personal item was found farther from her home than her bike was found, but not far from her bike. Just west of the intersection of 50 and 225.

If she had a medical event on her way home that left her disoriented, she may have ditched the personal item (removed and dropped helmet, perhaps) and continued toward home. Then she may have careened down that first part of 225 and off the road to her left, tumbling down into the ravine.

I don’t think this is a likely scenario, because they haven’t even released a description of her gear (shoe color?).

MOO

The personal item was found farther from her home than her bike was found, but not far from her bike. Just west of the intersection of 50 and 225.

If she had a medical event on her way home that left her disoriented, she may have ditched the personal item (removed and dropped helmet, perhaps) and continued toward home. Then she may have careened down that first part of 225 and off the road to her left, tumbling down into the ravine.

I don’t think this is a likely scenario, because they haven’t even released a description of her gear (shoe color?).

MOO

Do we know whether the personal object was found along an actual bike trail or along the road? Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tcat91