Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too! Mostly vegan anyway. Some of the photos I saw were big game. IDK about downhill or uphill, depending on the size of the “prey” or the predator’s size…Who is Troy? I clicked on the TD video and heard the words about a military friend and the 200-mile radius. At the end, there was what sounded like a woman laughing from inside the truck. IMO
The up and down prey comment was made by BM when explaining about the mountain lion. How a husband could describe his wife as prey to an animal is again beyond me. I would not even be able to eech out the words if I thought a family member had been attacked by an animal let alone calling them prey. The woman you heard in BM truck was his Mom she was with him that day.
By the way has anyone heard if BM is still in Colorado or is he in Indiana?

Me too! Mostly vegan anyway. Some of the photos I saw were big game. IDK about downhill or uphill, depending on the size of the “prey” or the predator’s size…Who is Troy? I clicked on the TD video and heard the words about a military friend and the 200-mile radius. At the end, there was what sounded like a woman laughing from inside the truck. IMO

A good friend of Barry's. He has done a few MSM stories now, which is good, it keeps him busy, otherwise too much time on his hands, his hobby seems to be throwing shade. IMO
Two months into search for missing Chaffee County mother, investigators “aggressively working this case” | FOX21 News Colorado

Last edited:
Not during CoVid. The routine early procedures that occur probably took more time.

Let's say they found things that needed PCR/DNA analysis.

Stranger DNA, for example. Once found, you'd want to take samples from all around the property, would you not?

In normal times, some counties have same day/24 hour PCR testing for crimes, but it's typically more like 3-7 days in many places (Chaffee County is not at the nation's epicenter of forensic technology, IMO).

Let's say you thought, early on, there was evidence that a non-Morphew had been in the house. The forensics team that collects DNA data cannot make it to the house until 5 days later, due to CoVid. Let's say CCSO wants certain DNA forensic skills that they need to borrow from EPCSO, right next door (I believe we heard early on that CCSO asked EPCSO for help - these days, I don't think the response would be immediate).

We will some day know when the judge authorized the search, but I'm guessing there's latitude for the police to bar entry to a potential crime scene until a judge can weigh in - and the judge obviously gave search privileges to the police.

I can think of many forensic reasons why, once the authorized search began, they'd need quite a few days. And that's even in normal times - these days, even more reasons for it to take a while.

In nearly 20 years of legal practice, I've never heard of police barring entry to a homeowner for 10 days in order to secure a warrant. In fact, constitutional rights -- such as the 4th Amendment right against unreasonable seizures -- are even more important important in such situations because authorities tend to demand more conformance during times of danger.

Last edited:
The up and down prey comment was made by BM when explaining about the mountain lion. How a husband could describe his wife as prey to an animal is again beyond me. I would not even be able to eech out the words if I thought a family member had been attacked by an animal let alone calling them prey. The woman you heard in BM truck was his Mom she was with him that day.
And do it so emotionless.

Thank you @Kimmer for the info. I'm still confused because the Petition is for an Incapacitated Person, not a Missing Person. A Guardian is usually appointed for a person whose whereabouts are known, right? I've seen it where an elderly person needs help with finances, home care, or in a nursing home. Is it possible that she was found injured since we've heard nothing further about her from family, friends or even LE. MOO

@BobLive -- I should have added to my post that Indiana is a state that is following a promoted Uniform Guardianship guideline that has not yet been adopted by every state.

It appears you're familiar with the same guardianship rules as most of us that specifically require the ward to be present in court for the judge to question. I think these guidelines also part of the same that required a person missing 7 years before they could be declared dead.

I believe states that have adopted the Uniform Guardianship also include exceptions whereby a missing person can be declared dead within months instead of years. MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m also struck by the LACK of close friends of Suzanne making any pleas in the media.
The one woman they had on was a “friend” from the gym, who I would classify more as an acquaintance.
I would wager this tells us more about the BM/SM relationship dynamic.
Controlling/Abusive partners tend to isolate their partners from any close family and friends.
Could this be another reason for the move to CO?
JMO

Chiming in for the heck of it with what I learned in early June. Trust me , I know nothing about hunting meat, other than the grocery store., aisle 5 But found this curious under the circumstances. We know Barry told TD about a possible Mountain Lion dragging Suzanne up hill.

Mountain Lions tend to drag their kills downhill, and it is common for them to end up in the bottom of a drainage or right next to a creek. Source is easily found on the internet BTW, Mountainlions.org forensics

According to Troy Skinner…Barry is the big hunter, that’s why Troy came to visit, to hunt with Barry.

Was the comment made to deliberately mislead ? After all we know he searched a 200 mile radius and his friend made 400 missions. Is this just Barry speak???
Did he try and share that little tidbit of erroneous knowledge with LE?

Any significance???
There were many times during that video where he tried to command credibility. Imho, in his mind, that outweighed everything else, including facts, and how much he missed his wife. Jmho

Yes, heard his reference to "prey" and the uphill comment, but IDK why he was even explaining those things under the current circumstances. TD wasn't laughing, but the woman laughed...An acre lot transferred to BM individually by deed recorded in the Chaffe County Recorder's Office on 6/25/2020. IMO, the sale of the Indiana property may have needed to take place prior to the purchase of the Colorado land. MOO

@BobLive -- I should have added to my post that Indiana is a state that is following a promoted Uniform Guardianship guideline that has not yet been adopted by every state.

It appears you're familiar with the same guardianship rules as most of us that specifically require the ward to be present in court for the judge to question. These guidelines part of the same that required a person missing 7 years before they could be declared dead.

I believe states that have adopted the Uniform Guardianship also include exceptions whereby a missing person can be declared within months instead of years. MOO
Thank you so much! I did not know but that could be the ulterior motive in my opinion. MOO!

Regardless, it would allow a jury to hear/see Barry Morphew speak without subjecting him to cross-examination, which is why -- if I was still a prosecutor -- I'd want it kept out.

Additionally, remember that the defense would still have to establish the relevance of the video. In other words, the video itself would have to make one of the e

In nearly 20 years of legal practice, I've never heard of police barring entry to a homeowner for 10 days in order to secure a warrant. In fact, constitutional rights -- such as the 4th Amendment right against unreasonable seizures -- are even more important important in such situations because authorities tend to demand more conformance during times of danger.

Until proven otherwise, I think it's possible that BM agreed or consented to stay away from the residence while police were investigating a possible abduction --that BM also suggested happened to SM. BM could have simply been cooperating with LE prior to the search warrant (for the optics) when LE legally took custody of the residence.

This has happened before in Colorado. Gannon's dad (and his bio-mom) voluntarily left the residence for LE to investigate, and they are the ones that allegedly barred LS from returning to the residence albeit LS was telling her audience that LE barred her from the home and she was having to stay in hotels.

MO

I STILL can’t wrap my head around this one thing;
Police were called at 5:45pm Sunday May 10th by a neighbor after the daughter called them. (I believe at least one news agency stated it was actually the daughter who called police).
Barry, by his own admission, does not get back to town until 9pm.
The most direct route is 2 hours & 30 minutes (approximately).
Assuming the girls called BM when they had trouble getting in touch w/Suzanne, you would think he would leave immediately, right? isn’t that what a normal person would do?

BBM:

Actually, I think even before doing that, the very first thing most people would do would be to call and/or text the person themselves to try to reach them. Repeatedly.

I wonder if BM forgot to call SM that day.
If he didn't, that's a major problem.

His phone records that day will be very interesting.

JMO.

Last edited:
I’m also struck by the LACK of close friends of Suzanne making any pleas in the media.
The one woman they had on was a “friend” from the gym, who I would classify more as an acquaintance.
Controlling/Abusive partners tend to isolate their partners from any close family and friends.
JMO
I have also thought it to be weird that there have been no other couples that have spoken about being friends, doing cookouts, going fishing etc. I cant imagine not having any friends that you do things with. I know there were fairly new to Colorado but doesnt BM brother live in the area. surely if you have a family member in the area they would have people to introduce you to. or at the very least friends from church.

Until proven otherwise, I think it's possible that BM agreed or consented to stay away from the residence while police were investigating a possible abduction --that BM also suggested happened to SM. BM could have simply been cooperating with LE prior to the search warrant (for the optics) when LE legally took custody of the residence.

This has happened before in Colorado. Gannon's dad (and his bio-mom) voluntarily left the residence for LE to investigate, and they are the ones that allegedly barred LS from returning to the residence albeit LS was telling her audience that LE barred her from the home and she was having to stay in hotels.

Not to mention LE didnt let Chad Daybell sit in his house while they were searching his backyard Aka pet cemetary.

MO

I have also thought it to be weird that there have been no other couples that have spoken about being friends, doing cookouts, going fishing etc. I cant imagine not having any friends that you do things with. I know there were fairly new to Colorado but doesnt BM brother live in the area. surely if you have a family member in the area they would have people to introduce you to. or at the very least friends from church.
I agree that it's odd we haven't heard of friends. Not necessarily FROM them but no mention of them at all. I only know that BM's nephew lived in the area but I could be wrong.

I STILL can’t wrap my head around this one thing;
Police were called at 5:45pm Sunday May 10th by a neighbor after the daughter called them. (I believe at least one news agency stated it was actually the daughter who called police).
Barry, by his own admission, does not get back to town until 9pm.
The most direct route is 2 hours & 30 minutes (approximately).
Assuming the girls called BM when they had trouble getting in touch w/Suzanne, you would think he would leave immediately, right? isn’t that what a normal person would do?

Well, perhaps he had intended to stay the night (we don't know what "going early to prep for a job" might mean) and was out of his room (despite CoVId - wouldn't be the only one) and needed to go back to get his things? Needed to get gas?

Surely did not run into bad weather or traffic, IMO.

If he was talking on his phone the whole time (as would be the case in many families at this juncture), perhaps he drove a little slower than usual.

I can't judge someone else's emergency behaviors.

I was a speed demon and in this situation (if my spouse was missing!) I'd be a total lead foot and on the phone with the police to tell to get the highway patrol off my tail, if that was happening.

But we're all different. With CoVid and open highways, I might be 10 mph above the speed limit at all times...even if no spousal emergency.

BBM:

Actually, I think even before doing that, the very first thing most people would do would be to call and/or text the person themselves to try to reach them. Repeatedly.

I wonder if BM forgot to call SM that day.
If he didn't, that's a major problem.

His phone records that day will be very interesting.

JMO.

Agreed. According to BM, he saw her just that morning.

However, if we discount everything that has come out of BM's mouth (which is certainly an early classification to make), then he didn't see Suzanne on that Sunday morning and didn't have a conversation with her.

I think he tries to stick to the truth, as most people do, but if he isn't - the first thing I want to know is when in fact he last saw Suzanne.

I have a strong feeling that not only have the phone records provided evidence that Suzanne didn't receive texts or calls from him on Sunday, but that other people may have received (many) texts and calls from BM.

In this case, the phones are going to provide significant clues. The further away the calls/behaviors are from the morning of May 10, the less they'll reveal, but from May 7-May 11, and beyond, BM's and other household member's phones (and the phones of any friends or family they called) will reveal a lot.

Do you think this was more misinformation about the case? We really don’t know about how long LE had the house, with the exception of during the two SWs.

JMO
^^^^^^
Absolutely. It's almost glaring, isn't it? Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics