Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if she committed suicide I don't think LE would refer to it as a criminal investigation. I think they said they suspected foul play early on. They must have evidence that supports that, and likely points to someone else being responsible for her disappearance. Jmo
LE was very careful to call it a missing person investigation in the pressure on Fri.
I believe there was only article that said LE called a criminal investigation.

I find this very strange that his first plea is on fb. That’s absolutely strange to me . Maybe that’s the new way but I would think LE would’ve been the first avenue. Something is wrong imo. Why is the husband not going through LE?

I think it's unfortunate that the husband's first plea for his wife's save return seen by the world was not at a sanctioned presser with the Sheriff by his side.

I guess I don't understand why what was released today could not have been said on Friday at the presser.

MOO

how on earth was the neighbour able to supposedly keep tabs on Suzanne.
other than sharing a dublex wall or something that would make you aware of your neighbour...
how would u really know???
that part doesn't add up.
it blew me away when we seen on google earth how isolated and dense the scrub is around the properties.
they don't even have the same access road.
bizarre :confused:

so there is no way independently the neighbour was keeping tabs on Suzanne imo.
a call/text had to be made to alert them.
which imo is also a little radical to check up on her.
or could it be setting the scene to get the show on the road???
had to start somewhere when everyone in that family was away.

its a curious red flag for me.o_O

all my personal speculations, nothing to consolidate my thoughts.

Last edited:
I think it's unfortunate that the husband's first plea for his wife's save return seen by the world was not at a sanctioned presser with the Sheriff by his side.

I guess I don't understand why what was released today could not have been said on Friday at the presser.

MOO
I agree and I can’t quite say anything more than I think there is a reason and LE knows that reason.

Yes maybe you are absolutely right. I am having a hard time with that because I am not familiar with the type of wealth these people have. I think that’s why I think the way I do. My husband would not be able to say Honey I love you and I will give you any amount you need to bring my wife back. Why does he say that ? Does he think money will bring her back? That’s what bothers me. That’s why I think it’s strange that he is pleading for her release for $. Does he know it’s about $ or is he trying to push toward this being about $ ?
Do you think they have had a ransom note?

MOO

There were reporters at the presser.

Which means there would have been questions at the presser.

Perhaps BM didn't feel up to answering any questions.

JMO.

Thank you for that info and welcome to Websleuths, Chomsky!

I linked this in the prior thread, but as a point of interest, Colorado is actually an equitable distribution vs. a community property state:

Colorado Marital Property Laws - FindLaw

SABBM:

Colorado is an “equitable distribution” or “common law” state rather than a “community property” state. That means marital property isn’t automatically assumed to be owned by both parties and therefore should be divided equally upon divorce. Instead, when a couple divorces in Colorado, the marital property is divided in an “equitable” manner. Often, that means the higher earning spouse receives a bigger piece of the pie upon divorce.

I stand happily corrected! I always think of California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and Texas as a unit of sorts (we acquired their territories after the Mexican-American war). And all of them BUT Colorado are community property jurisdictions.

You do not need a "very specific trust." There are several straightforward ways to acquire flexibility over the way assets are distributed in a marital estate (either upon death or divorce). Furthermore, community property jurisdictions, like Colorado, recognize the existence of “separate property.” Separate property is property that a spouse owned before the marriage or that the spouse received as a gift during the marriage. And separate property does not become part of the marital estate simply because it is acquired during the marriage (even after 50 years of marriage).

Indiana, however, applies the principle of equitable distribution; it is not a community property jurisdiction. And it is also important to keep in mind that death and divorce are not the same (though I hear divorce can be as bad or worse than death).

Well, they aren't Indiana residents any more and apparently haven't been since late 2018.

Let me say that a trust is a specific instrument that would need to take the deeds to all their community property, move then into a trust, and name specific trustees to benefit but not BM, the husband.

Personally, I think if there were any evidence of a wife going to those lengths to disinherit her husband, it's a pretty specific action. It involves taking community property and converting it to another kind. Now, it's possible their holdings (now sold, I believe) in Indiana could have been part of such an unusual, disinherit-the-husband trust, but surely the husband had to sign the transfer deed? Do you really think Suzanne hold all property in her own right, such that her husband never minded not being on the deed for his own home? Sounds really really strange (and specific) to me.

But I believe their assets are mostly tied up in that $1.7M house (possibly 1.5M) that they purchased before selling their $750,000 house in Indiana, along with some acreage.

Trusts are for death, IMO. However, a trust that acts as a retroactive pre-nup would indeed be interesting and fall under my rubric of "unusual financial arrangement," and to me, that's a pretty narrow and specific category.

I am quite aware that death and divorce are not the same. I think most of us are. But any arrangements made by Suzanne were made before either one of those occurred.

Maybe she hadn't used the bike recently, so the brakes were jammed at the handlebars, or they were unresponsive at the calipers. Or, if she had disc brakes, they weren't releasing. Or, the brake pads could have hardened. All of these are "she hadn't used it for a while".
It's not even clear she was biking any time recently. Sure, there's a photo of her floating around with a bike helmet, but there's never been any indication when this was taken. It could have been 10 years ago.
BBM. **If true** would these scenarios make it difficult to pedal a bike? Like, is this something you'd notice right away when getting on the bike and leaving the garage - or whatever?

MOO

how on earth was the neighbour able to supposedly keep tabs on Suzanne.
other than sharing a dublex wall or something that would make you aware of your neighbour...
how would u really know???
that part doesn't add up.
it blew me away when we seen on google earth how isolated and dense the scrub is around the properties.
they don't even have the same access road.
bizarre :confused:

so there is no way independently the neighbour was keeping tabs on Suzanne imo.
a call had to be made to alert them.
which imo is also a little radical to check up on her.
or could it be setting the scene to get the show on the road???
had to start somewhere when everyone in that family was away.

its a curious red flag for me.o_O

all my personal speculations, nothing to consolidate my thoughts.
TEXT message is all that is needed. No phone call. Why is this so hard for people to grasp? :) The text could be sent from her phone even if she's not alive. It's a GREAT way to set things in motion if you have a nefarious plan. All that is needed is a friend/neighbor that she commonly texts. She says, "Hey, friend! Everyone's out of town, so I'm letting you know that I'm going for a ride. If I don't text you in one hour, look for me!"[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Hence the name, hit-and-run.

It's not hit-and-stop-and-exit the vehicle-and-grab the victim-and-throw the victim in the trunk-and- jump back in the vehicle-and-run.

unfortunately, there have been a number of high profile cases of women being purposefully hit and disabled by a vehicle--so the occupant(s) could quickly load their broken bodies into their automobile and take off...Dana Ireland and Suzanne Eaton are two horrific examples of a "hit and run with the victim" scenario.

JMO.

MOO
This. Why? This is a rarity, for sure. JMO

I noticed that the spot they found the item is at an intersection. Do you think it was a hit and run but they panicked and put her and the bike in the back of a truck? How much traffic is on this road?
I don't think they ever revealed exactly where the found any of the items. They were likely found in the general area they were searching. Someone else said the road is well travelled but I'm not sure if anything was found along the road or on or off the trail. Unless I missed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Queen of the Winter Night