Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADMIN REMINDER:

Posts have been removed. Questioning moderation on the threads results in an automatic Time Out.

Please post accordingly.

Thanks.

Elk sheds are a common find in CO that time of year. Elk shed hunting is a hobby, people actually go from out of state to find them (they sell them online). Shed hunting is restricted, but I believe it ended April 30 in that area. Its possible these were found very recently, but still, another uncanny coincidence in this case. Jmho.
I don't think they have blood on them when they shed, and imo no skin comes off.

I don't buy road killed elk, but that's just me maybe. I think a male elk will just be growing a new rack in spring ?????

I'm curious about your comment regarding the shedding of racks and growing new ones in the spring. If BM finds a 'roadkill' elk it must have happened much earlier. I read most elk in Colorado shed their antlers in the winter which means this roadkill elk had been dead for a while. Wouldn't other people who lived in the area also have been aware of a dead elk lying roadside? I also read that antler hunting has become very popular in CO to the point the public is prohibited from looking for them between Jan 1 and April 30th each year. So if a dead elk was visible to others why wouldn't someone else take the antlers after the restriction was lifted.

You'd think the odds of BM finding the carcass would be low, but yet, he found them. If I was LE I'd be asking him to take me to the location where he found them.

Because if it was outside of the area where he believes SM was carried off by a cat, hit by a vehicle, abducted by a stranger I'd be wondering why he was searching there.

Watching the Profiling Evil Choir Practice this evening and Mike and Chris are now speaking with SM's brother, AM and Robin Davis from NCIS who has quite a bit of experience with mountain lions.

AM mentioned that on 5/12 or 5/13, a mountain lion was seen on the Morphew property passing in front of one of the police cars with an officer inside. AM says the lion was attracted to an elk rack (with some flesh still attached) that was propped up against a wall outside the house. The expert is discussing how likely it is that a mountain lion would leave a carcass that is only 3-4 days old at most to go after a bit of flesh attached to antlers.

Here's my question: What the heck is an elk rack with fresh meat attached to it doing on the Morphew property only 2-3 days after SM went missing? Was that so any dogs or wild animals would go to that rather than some other attractant?

<modsnip: Sleuthing BM's social media is not allowed>

Interesting that there was an elk rack with flesh still attached outside of the home. Maybe BM was on a hunt in the days before Suzanne went missing?

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole elk rack thing is sketchy at best. I know people will procure deer meat from roadkill but doesn’t it go against alpha maleism to hang a rack of anything that you didn’t legit and legally kill?
Also no marijuana farming in Indiana yet only hemp and subsequent usable CBD. Michigan another story and maybe given GM’a health, Suzanne was about to inherit a large amount of legally permitted marijuana farming? Adios Barry I’m out of here. Oh Suzanne I saw a mountain lion on my way home let’s take a drive so you can see it too. IMO
This is a nightmare but I love PE and AM. Every woman and child on the planet deserves a son, brother, uncle or father who will go to bat for them the way AM has for Suzanne. God Bless them! surviving Benghazi vets? Bring them! Kudos to the incredible crew who is about to make this happen. BM could have never expected this. IMO

I'm curious about your comment regarding the shedding of racks and growing new ones in the spring. If BM finds a 'roadkill' elk it must have happened much earlier. I read most elk in Colorado shed their antlers in the winter which means this roadkill elk had been dead for a while. Wouldn't other people who lived in the area also have been aware of a dead elk lying roadside? I also read that antler hunting has become very popular in CO to the point the public is prohibited from looking for them between Jan 1 and April 30th each year. So if a dead elk was visible to others why wouldn't someone else take the antlers after the restriction was lifted.

You'd think the odds of BM finding the carcass would be low, but yet, he found them. If I was LE I'd be asking him to take me to the location where he found them.

Because if it was outside of the area where he believes SM was carried off by a cat, hit by a vehicle, abducted by a stranger I'd be wondering why he was searching there.
Uh, exactly.

Elk. Carcass or Antlers?
I missed the part about his finding a carcass, so maybe he took the rack and did "what" with the carcass? In Alaska if you claim to find dead game you can't keep the trophy portion, you have to turn it over to fish and game, otherwise people would be "finding" all numbers of dead big game animals in the off season.
@NuttMegg. Excellent point.
Even if just shed antlers, may not have been legal to collect.

"Shed Antler and Horn Collection in Colorado Information
What are the new regulations?

In 2018, the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission voted unanimously to prohibit shed antler and horn collection on all public lands west of I-25 from Jan. 1 through April 30, annually...."
"To read the closure regulations, see section O. Antler and Horn Collection within the Chapter 0 General Provisions Regulations document."

Colorado Parks and Wildlife

Last edited:
<modsnip: Sleuthing BM's social media is not allowed>

Interesting that there was an elk rack with flesh still attached outside of the home. Maybe BM was on a hunt in the days before Suzanne went missing?

JMO

I believe there was still snow on the ground in areas around Salida in early May so it's possible this dead elk was semi-frozen or a least decomp had been slowed down by ambient temperatures.

Chris told AM that they (PE) are friends with 2 of the 4 remaining Benghazi survivors and reached out to them. Forgive me, I didn’t look up their names, sounded like Tig and Oz. He said Tig will be doing something on his website to get the word out and Oz who lives in Colorado is trying to get some scent dogs and come. He said they were going to reach out to Military Vets. Then Chris said “ we’re not going to talk about someone who did 400 missions overseas, we’re going to BRING them. “. yikes

GET EM, CHRIS!!!

This whole elk rack thing is sketchy at best. I know people will procure deer meat from roadkill but doesn’t it go against alpha maleism to hang a rack of anything that you didn’t legit and legally kill?
Also no marijuana farming in Indiana yet only hemp and subsequent usable CBD. Michigan another story and maybe given GM’a health, Suzanne was about to inherit a large amount of legally permitted marijuana farming? Adios Barry I’m out of here. Oh Suzanne I saw a mountain lion on my way home let’s take a drive so you can see it too. IMO
This is a nightmare but I love PE and AM. Every woman and child on the planet deserves a son, brother, uncle or father who will go to bat for them the way AM has for Suzanne. God Bless them! surviving Benghazi vets? Bring them! Kudos to the incredible crew who is about to make this happen. BM could have never expected this. IMO
Its been exciting to see how a few people taking an interest in the case has really helped to propel it. I really how having former LE experts working with the family, can help find SM and its been exciting to see the developments in real time. Hopefully this is an indication of how field professionals can work together with families using social media to help get more missing persons cases solved

Remarriage. Wait 5 Yrs, Presumed Death? Or Sooner, Guardianship as Back Door to Divorce?
@Seattle1 Thank you for your response to my post #995. It prompted me to think about this issue, both as it applies to BM & SM, and the gen legal principles. Not disagreeing w you about remarriage, re historical use of Gdnship laws and Presumption of Death laws. Good comments about the potential for abuse of the gdnship status, esp'ly in a situation like this. TYVM.

Either way, before remarriage, BM must seek judicial resolution before being able to legally remarry, unless (1) SM is located alive, or (2) SM's remains are found before BM files in ct, as one of the two possibilities.
If (1) ^ occurs, no need for IN gdnship to continue, it can be terminated. Any potential remarriage that BM wants to pursue (hypo only, per W/S ToS) would be after a divorce on the usual/common terms, w both parties able to be present, have legal representation, and participate.

If (2) ^ occurs, well, I refrain from predictions, until we know about death cert w ME's CoD and MoD.
@Seattle1 again thanks. Where is SM?

Thanks as always @al66pine for your never-ending research. :)

Yes, statutory declaration of death means judicial resolution--with none of the two exceptions you provided applicable (i.e, SM located alive, her remains recovered).

Confirming death terminates guardianship just as with POA.

A freshly killed male elk with big rack, the kind you'd collect for a trophy on the wall, road kill in May, should not have big antlers.

If they were naturally shed antlers found in the woods they would not have bloody skin attached, imo.

If there was a road kill of a large animal like that someone damaged their auto drastically. Imo.

Elk. Carcass or Antlers?
@NuttMegg. Excellent point.
Even if just shed antlers, may not have been legal to collect.

"Shed Antler and Horn Collection in Colorado Information
What are the new regulations?

In 2018, the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission voted unanimously to prohibit shed antler and horn collection on all public lands west of I-25 from Jan. 1 through April 30, annually...."
"To read the closure regulations, see section O. Antler and Horn Collection within the Chapter 0 General Provisions Regulations document."

Colorado Parks and Wildlife
Interesting. I wonder why they don't want people picking up shed antlers? Unless people were hunting under the guise of looking for shed antlers (?)

Chris told AM that they (PE) are friends with 2 of the 4 remaining Benghazi survivors and reached out to them. Forgive me, I didn’t look up their names, sounded like Tig and Oz. He said Tig will be doing something on his website to get the word out and Oz who lives in Colorado is trying to get some scent dogs and come. He said they were going to reach out to Military Vets. Then Chris said “ we’re not going to talk about someone who did 400 missions overseas, we’re going to BRING them. “. yikes
Rbbm. This was my favorite statement of the whole 2 hours!

I was also glad to hear AM has been in communication with CCSO about the search. I think this event is going to be huge. I am so glad to see this for Suzanne!!!!

A freshly killed male elk with big rack, the kind you'd collect for a trophy on the wall, road kill in May, should not have big antlers.

If they were naturally shed antlers found in the woods they would not have bloody skin attached, imo.

If there was a road kill of a large animal like that someone damaged their auto drastically. Imo.
Many years ago my daughter's large GMC truck was completely destroyed by a run in with a young deer. So I have no doubt a large elk would have hurt someone very badly depending on the type of vehicle they were driving.

Suzanne's brother Andy stated on PE that BM picked up the antlers from a roadkill elk and this is the first time I have heard that the large CAT was seen on the Morphew property, from the interview that BM gave to TD he stated that LE saw a mountain lion in the area the bike was found at. He stated that LE was parked there and the Mt Lion just came walking by LE car. So the fact that it has now been stated the lion came onto the Morphew property by the house. Was the elk head brought onto the property to cover any decomposing smell that may have been in the area.
BBM
Hmmmm BM said this. He has been spinning this mountain lion story since the beginning.
yada, yada, yada.
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads