Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #35

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking it was a more spontaneous and spur of the moment alibi, because what stands out for me is that he was working with his 'main' worker MG on both Friday night and Saturday morning and didn't mention a word to her about the wall job. Then suddenly Saturday afternoon he races off into town to line up JP and then he waits until Sunday morning to call MG and request her to get the crew up to Broomfield that night. It all seems very unplanned to me.

I feel it was unplanned. A moment of rage during an argument.

There is one hypothetical scenario I can’t get out of my head. SM and BM got into an argument. She jumps on her bike to get away. He gets in the car to follow her, and ends up running into her and knocks her off the bike. She’s either mortally wounded or killed instantly. He panics.. puts her in the car .... and it goes from there.

All IMO / speculation

Personally, I think the fractures that lead to homicidal domestic violence are longterm and seething. That's why people snap. 'The wife' becomes increasingly viewed as dead weight (by some husbands). Or, the husband becomes increasingly viewed as a nitwit and a spendthrift. It's a long build-up (IMO, I have no specific citations on this).

DV is not just physical violence. My ex only tried to strangle me one time (in 1979 - we remained married until 1991). We both went into therapy/counseling. I was brought up that marriage was forever. After the therapy, the violence was lessened (he had already "accidentally" cracked a rib by pushing me down some stairs - but that was "kind of an accident.")

The violence was lessened, in part, by my near total acquiescence to everything he wanted. Things were good, right? Until they weren't - at some point in the future.

Long term marital issues and the seething things that some spouses keep to themselves often result in violence. I've learned that when people snap, they can actually use fantasy-plans (if only I didn't have a spouse leads to various fantasy scenarios in which the spouse has evaporated - but with no real planning or strategies).

I predict that this was a sudden explosion of rage - but that the rage, itself, had been intermittent and that the person with the rage problem had had many thoughts of harm, vengeance, starting anew, etc. There's probably a sexual element here, as well, although we may never seen evidence or hint of it. I think it's there.

IMO.
Thank you for sharing. It’s so good that you were able to gather the strength and resolve needed to finally walk away!

Oh, yes, very easy Fit MOO. I uploaded a pic with various size coolers as an example, person standing in front of coolers gives you an idea of sizes.

So, I'll speculate liberally regarding coolers. Everything in this post is imaginary.

BM was evidently a hunter or liked to hunt or thought of himself as a hunter. Anyone in any of those categories is going to have a cooler large enough to handle the "kill". Out west, the "kill" is very likely to be bulkier than an average woman. From that, I would surmise that a) BM had a large cooler on hand and b) a woman would fit in it.

I'm guessing the size of head and antler rack at least at one time gracing the walls inside BM's home would be at least the aspirational size, if not reality.

[Did someone mention upthread that there was a roadkill deer head with antlers outside? Maybe to reinforce "if you find a cooler with blood, it's because I'm a hunter". Another deflecting clue. But this is TOTAL speculation on my part.]

So, yes, there was very likely a large portable cooler at hand (I'd guess you'd keep that kind of thing in a garage?) and maybe even practice loading it.

Come to think of it, ice might have been needed on Mother's Day weekend and may be the reason for a "shopping trip". Depending on timeline, new loads of ice might have been needed to minimize aroma.

I wonder if a cooler leaked into BM's truck?

And here my imagination might be totally running away with me.... Supposing you were at a job site, and shortly after you got there, the day heated up (it was forecast at 90 degrees per Denver weather: Sunshine Sunday before a slightly rainy week), and you went to your truck, and oops, your cooler was leaking, and, was that a smell you smelled?, and dang if you forgot to add ice to the cooler..... I think you'd tear out of that job site even if you'd barely got there. And you might be too spooked to come back even after you picked up fresh ice and even though you'd barely done any work that day....

Oh, gosh, my imagination is jumping all over the place at this point.... wasn't there a place by the river at the job you were working? What if you washed your truck there? You had a gal working for you, you could even have her do the tidy up after you cleaned up the truck, raking 'n' all to make it all look nice and professional....

My whims are totally taking over me here. Take this post as hypotheticals. There may not even be a single grain of fact.

1. From beginning the CCSO said it was a criminal investigation.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/13/colorado-woman-missing-after-going-on-mothers-day-bike-ride/

“Although Corsentino says the FBI's involvement does bring out some clues.

"The sheriff of Chaffee County would say that he has information that is pertinent to something beyond Chaffee County and they want the FBI to search outside Chaffee County," he said.

Without much to go off of, he says his past in law enforcement leads him to believe there are unusual circumstances.

"This case is going to be something more than I think a family-related case. That's just my gut instinct," Corsentino said.
Boxer and Steeltown Girl posted these in the last thread. This info has me REALLY intrigued!!!

In Indiana earlier this summer the Indianapolis Star covered a huge kickback scheme where millions in Medicaid funds were diverted to county hospitals, etc. etc. etc. Part of the Star's coverage included a list of all the key players. One was a landscaper from Fishers on the north side of Indy and I immediately wondered if BM had ties to that person.

If BM received kickbacks through this landscaper maybe SM found out and it was, for her, "the straw that broke the camel's back" i.e. her reason to finally leave. To me fraud involving federal funds would absolutely appall Suzanne.

These comments are based on my personal knowledge and are MOO.

1. From beginning the CCSO said it was a criminal investigation.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/13/colorado-woman-missing-after-going-on-mothers-day-bike-ride/

“Although Corsentino says the FBI's involvement does bring out some clues.

"The sheriff of Chaffee County would say that he has information that is pertinent to something beyond Chaffee County and they want the FBI to search outside Chaffee County," he said.

Without much to go off of, he says his past in law enforcement leads him to believe there are unusual circumstances.

"This case is going to be something more than I think a family-related case. That's just my gut instinct," Corsentino said.
Boxer and Steeltown Girl posted these in the last thread. This info has me REALLY intrigued!!!

In Indiana earlier this summer the Indianapolis Star covered a huge kickback scheme where millions in Medicaid funds were diverted to county hospitals, etc. etc. etc. Part of the Star's coverage included a list of all the key players. One was a landscaper from Fishers on the north side of Indy and I immediately wondered if BM had ties to that person.

If BM received kickbacks through this landscaper maybe SM found out and it was, for her, "the straw that broke the camel's back" i.e. her reason to finally leave. To me fraud involving federal funds would absolutely appall Suzanne.

These comments are based on my personal knowledge and are MOO.
Curious how a landscaper could end up being a key player in medicaid fraud, could you offer a bit more detail?

This post may be out of place, but...

Caution: Total speculation here.

Random tools left in a hotel room? What if the tools were alibis? Either your employees just put their fingerprints all over them, or they tried to use them (however inappropriately or haphazardly) and "contaminated" them so whatever was on them would be so murky-ed up it would be useless as evidence.

And now you can point a finger at an employee as a culprit, too. How convenient. As it is, you've already got an employee raking up the mess you left by the river on the last job, handling the tools..... concealing the traces of you, rolling rocks around to make it look pretty and professional, digger-thingy marks, and whatever else there might have been. Your employee's residue is now all over that work site.

Come to think of it... I wonder if LE tested the rake?

Besides, what's useless tool for a brick wall job? A saw? A shovel? What tools exactly are we talking about? The tools detail could be VERY revealing, much more so than at first glance.

I'm thinking the tools might be central to MG's story and not a back-story irrelevant-in-the-end detail.

Total speculation here.

Last edited:
Yep.

A bit like the surgeon asking the SN to hand over that smallish cutty thing, or a chef looking for that flat flippy thing to sauté with or an accountant wondering about those table-y numbery things needed to complete the audit.

People who work with with tools and instruments regularly know how they work and what they do and what they're called. Unless they're trying hard not to mention them because their mind is a bit not in the right place, or whatevs.

I agree with you totally, but want to add IME Guys who are sexist also do that. They think women couldn't possibly understand "manly" tools.

Maybe he didn’t change a part or work on it. Maybe he had no legitimate explanation for why he was running the bobcat late at night and really blew the explanation when LE questioned him about it. He’s not exactly a wordsmith, and he could have just offered some lame excuse like it wasn’t running right so he changed the oil. And he forgot when he did it.
Was he maybe washing the bobcat in the river?

I agree with you totally, but want to add IME Guys who are sexist also do that. They think women couldn't possibly understand "manly" tools.
In my house, the giant rolling toolbox is mine. Whenever our handyman asks hubby for a tool he says to ask me. I feel that comment by BM was just a try at more diversion. Keep talking B, keep talking.

I don't know how tall Suzanne was or what she weighed but she looks so very tiny in her pictures.

I just did an experiment with one of my DH's Igloo hunting coolers and my 5'5" tall daughter laid on her back in it with knees to her chest but couldn't get her head down enough for me to close the lid. Then another employee walked up and he's 5'3" and he curled in a ball facing down and he fit just fine. And he didn't even take his ball cap off.

NamUs lists SM as 5'4" and 110 lbs.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

This post may be out of place, but...

Caution: Total speculation here.

Random tools left in a hotel room? What if the tools were alibis? Either your employees just put their fingerprints all over them, or they tried to use them (however inappropriately or haphazardly) and "contaminated" them so whatever was on them would be so murky-ed up it would be useless as evidence.

And now you can point a finger at an employee as a culprit, too. How convenient. As it is, you've already got an employee raking up the mess you left by the river on the last job, handling the tools..... concealing the traces of you, rolling rocks around to make it look pretty and professional, digger-thingy marks, and whatever else there might have been. Your employee's residue is now all over that work site.

Come to think of it... I wonder if LE tested the rake?

Besides, what's useless tool for a brick wall job? A saw? A shovel? What tools exactly are we talking about? The tools detail could be VERY revealing, much more so than at first glance.

I'm thinking the tools might be central to MG's story and not a back-story irrelevant-in-the-end detail.

Total speculation here.
I absolutely love the digger-thingy reference. It makes me chuckle every single time I see it. I needed that today:)

I absolutely love the digger-thingy reference. It makes me chuckle every single time I see it. I needed that today:)
Thx. I was laughing upthread about the post with the surgeon handing over [throw in a thinga-me-bob word], 'cos I make up descriptive words like that all the time when I write instead of using labels!

I was asked to come over to this thread to post some technology information. I gather that Suzanne's brother is organizing a search. Lidar technology is available that can be mounted on both drones and small aircraft. Large areas scanned from the air by Lidar produce a ground terrain map that has the option to remove all trees and vegetation, leaving only the ground and objects on it. It has been used with great success in locating lost cities in jungles and old forgotten fortifications here in the US and Canada that have been overgrown. It has now become a Forensic tool to scan crime scenes, air crash sites, etc. This could be helpful in checking areas where the ground may have been disturbed or where there may be dirt mounds from a buried body. Most areas of the country have one or more ground mapping services that have Lidar on aircraft, drones or both.
Good to see you here, @Trackergd ! Don’t know if you’ve seen this but it looks like the PE guys have introduced AM to someone who will be offering this type of technology. He comes in around 20:00 .

Interesting side note : when they are talking about historical data from Mother’s Day weekend, Andy says “ Well, you should start with Friday night and work your way in.”

It sounds like BM got JP and MG onboard. We’re not sure about CC but I guess it’s implied that MG got up with him.

And I agree with what you’re saying but I’m also not sure that MG and CC are full time employees of BM, meaning like JP they may work for other companies too.

It just seems so lucky that all three of them had schedules that were open Sunday through at least Tuesday and that they could drop what they were doing on Sunday and drive 3+ hours out of town that day.

I’m not really sure where I am going with this. It just sticks out to me that with no notice, BM lined up three people on Mother’s Day to go to Broomsfield. Kind of an odd coincidence, no?
It sticks out for me too. JMO
There had to be prior conversations among them about the site work and their availability to work - just waiting for a phone call.
On a weekend.
On Mother’s Day.
Somebody would have to pay good money for me to drop what I’m doing and leave my kids to work all weekend, out of town on Mother’s Day weekend.
It doesn’t pass the smell test for me.
MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads