Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #43

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
rbbm - maybe Barry was paranoid that Suzanne had found something out that she wasn't supposed to know - may have made him twitchy/agitated?
That’s possible. For me the jury’s still out on a timeline though. I recall MG’s words about how he was acting “weird” and he wanted her to “rake out the beach, flat, flat, flat!” That was Saturday morning. HRD hit on that site, for whatever reason. Did he kill her in the wee hours of Saturday morning or in the late afternoon evening? As far as I remember, we’re not even certain which night, Friday or Saturday, the beach property neighbour heard the equipment at 11:30 p.m.

I’m confident LE have a good timeline with a few missing pieces, so I’m not going to sweat it :). I may not understand BM’s movements but they do. I’d LOVE to know what they’re missing that prevents them from making an arrest, not including the body, as I think it’s improbable that they will find her. I still hope for a miracle in that regard, not that I think she’s alive but that they might find her so she can be laid to rest with honour and dignity. Unfortunately, those are two character traits (among many others) that BM’s lacks. If he had any decency at all he’d allow his daughters and the family some closure. This alone makes me think this was premeditated. He’s fighting this tooth and nail. He wants/needs to get away with this so he can reap the reward, Suzanne’s money! No remorse, at all! :mad:

MOO, MOO and MOO!

I too live in a town of about 500 and I don't believe our two restaurants EVER closed to indoor dining. (in defiance of state orders). So while we can look up what the laws were at the time, it's hard to know whether or not they were being enforced, unless a Salidian WSer can tell us from personal experience.

IMO

What if -- Saturday morning, BM somehow manipulates it so that SM doesn't have her phone. Maybe an argument where he breaks it, or maybe just persuades her to set it aside while they go for a ride/talk out some issue etc.

Then they go out together, without her phone, end up at sandwich shop where they are seen. She is either going along willingly or under pressure from him, but doesn't want to make a public scene.

Then sometime later that day, whether back at home or still out, some violence happens.

MOO speculation only
I don't live in Salida, but yes, restaurants closed. Last time I was up there in August they were open with separated indoor seating in areas, but mostly outdoors and they had taken a massive hit staffing wise as a lot of the seasonal workers did not come up this year. I had a conversation with one of the restaurant owners who was fairly down about his business. A few were indefinitely closed. With very few exceptions, the mountain towns were/are fairly hard core about masks etc.

Like Scott Peterson, he's the unluckiest sob ever? Lol.
:cool:
I'm almost to the point of ruling this out as any kind of reasonable possibility even (and, at best, it's highly improbable, IMO). At this point, to believe BM to be innocent, I think you'd have to believe he's both the luckiest and unluckiest man alive.

So incredibly lucky to have the CCSO involve the CBI and FBI almost immediately on this case - wow, so many professional resources to help solve the case! But, unlucky for BM, he happens to get the "bumbling idiot" division of these three agencies who are only effective at messing up crime scenes, lying to people, and framing innocent husbands to cover up their ineptitude.

So unlucky that he happened to be out of town at the time SM was abducted on her "bike ride". But so lucky that he happened to have an urgent job come up on a holiday weekend three hours away, so at least he had a great alibi that could allow LE to rule him out immediately and focus their efforts on finding that @#$% mountain lion.

So lucky that BM had witnesses who could help account for his whereabouts on Sat and Sun. So unlucky that they happened to be meth heads who can't be trusted.

So lucky that SM was active on FB late on Saturday evening, proving she was alive at that time. So unlucky that whatever "SM" was doing on FB that evening was highly unusual for her and suspicious to all of her friends.

So lucky that he has such a potential ally in AM, a loving brother who desperately wants to find his sister. So unlucky that AM is more concerned with "publicity" and "blaming the husband" than looking for the mountain lion.

You get the idea. One or two of these things you might chalk up to luck...... but the list is waaaay too long to ignore (and I think LEs list is much longer than ours). MOO, JMO.

I’d LOVE to know what they’re missing that prevents them from making an arrest, not including the body, as I think it’s improbable that they will find her.

Same!
LE moved very swiftly in what could simply have been an adult choosing to disappear themselves, I keep going back to the neighbour - maybe she alerted LE to the strong smell of bleach in the home, maybe the home looked 'too' neat and tidy or 'too' clean etc. It appears LE have been certain from the start of this that something is wrong, very wrong. Wish I had been a fly buzzing round that day - would love to have seen what LE saw/heard to make them take this path.

I think what is equally intriguing is what would compel these “spies” to help BM? Andy’s search was private but the CBI/FBI are involved in this case. It’s hard to fathom interjecting yourself into that situation unless you personally have something to lose if BM is guilty.

Interesting concept... unless you personally have something to lo$e if BM is guilty... JMOO

Same!
LE moved very swiftly in what could simply have been an adult choosing to disappear themselves, I keep going back to the neighbour - maybe she alerted LE to the strong smell of bleach in the home, maybe the home looked 'too' neat and tidy or 'too' clean etc. It appears LE have been certain from the start of this that something is wrong, very wrong. Wish I had been a fly buzzing round that day - would love to have seen what LE saw/heard to make them take this path.

You make an excellent point.
If, as AM has stated, LE noticed a strong smell of bleach in the Morphew home when they arrived, surely the neighbor woman smelled it as well when she first went to check to see if SM was home.
I have to wonder if she mentioned it to BM when she spoke to him on the phone the 2nd time?

Interesting concept... unless you personally have something to lo$e if BM is guilty... JMOO
For any of them from Indiana, this is highly unlikely, IMO. I think @NatureLover said it well in an earlier post as to the motivation for these individuals - and I don't believe that they would be acting in a way to knowingly cover up a crime or impede an investigation. We know how paranoid BM is, so my guess is if they were acting as "spies", it was more along the lines of watching out to make sure someone doesn't plant evidence against BM and/or maybe keep an eye out because the "real culprit" is likely to volunteer for the search. If there were others with financial interests at stake in something, it would be BMs friends in CO, IMO.

I wish we knew where that information came from. If SM was caught on security camera inside a sandwich shop vs. a witness verbal tip, makes a big difference.

The timeline I really feel is credible, Suzanne was killed and her body hidden between O' dark-thirty Saturday May 9th and four am on Sunday, May 10th.
Didn't JP say that he met with BM on Saturday afternoon in town. MG stated that after BM ended the job on Saturday early because he had to go "make the wife happy", she found out that he had been shopping in town Saturday afternoon. Correct me if I misremembered, I just returned last night from vacation in the Smoky Mountains and my brain isn't working yet.

That very well could be, but why was BM acting strange to MG on Saturday morning at the beach site? Banging my head against the wall trying to figure the timeline out.
Good question. I have flip flopped back and forth on premeditation or heat of passion scenarios. If we know Suzanne was alive on Saturday morning. What MG conveyed about his behavior and wanting to quit early at 11, suggests Barry could have had a plan.

The timeline is a moving target. Primarily due to the liquidity of the conversation with the BFF. We've heard three different times it ended. Add the new tidbit from Andy regarding Suzanne being seen at 4pm Saturday in town.

OldCop has a working timeline, maybe someone can bump it again?

Didn't JP say that he met with BM on Saturday afternoon in town. MG stated that after BM ended the job on Saturday early because he had to go "make the wife happy", she found out that he had been shopping in town Saturday afternoon. Correct me if I misremembered, I just returned last night from vacation in the Smoky Mountains and my brain isn't working yet.
Yes, she said she found out later that BM had been in town all day shopping by himself.

Good question. I have flip flopped back and forth on premeditation or heat of passion scenarios. If we know Suzanne was alive on Saturday morning. What MG conveyed about his behavior and wanting to quit early at 11, suggests Barry could have had a plan.

The timeline is a moving target. Primarily due to the liquidity of the conversation with the BFF. We've heard three different times it ended. Add the new tidbit from Andy regarding Suzanne being seen at 4pm Saturday in town.

OldCop has a working timeline, maybe someone can bump it again?
I can think of a few things causing his strange behavior:

1. Maybe they had an argument that morning or a night before and was nervous about what Suzanne’s next step will be and wanted to get home as soon as possible to control the outcome. Just smooth talk her while they are doing something together SM likes

2. He realized he made a mistake with something like left a document somewhere where Suzanne could accidentally find it which could cause trouble if she sees it so wanted to get home as soon as possible

3. He really had some plan to get rid of her and was eager to do it or was nerveus about how it will go

Any other ideas?

1. Maybe they had an argument that morning or a night before and was nervous about what Suzanne’s next step will be and wanted to get home as soon as possible to control the outcome. Just smooth talk her while they are doing something together SM likes

2. He realized he made a mistake with something like left a document somewhere where Suzanne could accidentally find it which could cause trouble if she sees it so wanted to get home as soon as possible

bbm

^^^^
This sounds verrry plausible, IMO.

I can think of a few things causing his strange behavior:

3. He really had some plan to get rid of her and was eager to do it or was nerveus about how it will go

Any other ideas?

I had wondered, if SM was at a sandwich shop on the Saturday -maybe SM and BM had met before this to go to the bank/mortgage broker/lawyer/financial advisor etc. ? If so - any of those could hold potential issues for BM which he would be potentially worried about at the work site - imo which could explain his strange behaviour

eta - Speculating and thinking out loud

If, as AM has stated, LE noticed a strong smell of bleach in the Morphew home when they arrived, surely the neighbor woman smelled it as well when she first went to check to see if SM was home.
I have to wonder if she mentioned it to BM when she spoke to him on the phone the 2nd time?
Do we know that she actually went into the home?

Are we even aware if JR entered the home? I may have missed that. Perhaps BM just gave her the key code to the garage to check on the cars and then SM’s bike.

Every night when I go to sleep (like now) I send a request into the universe (praying if you will) that tomorrow is the day Suzanne’s soul is able to attract someone to the place she is at now to help bring her home.
Of course I would love to find out she is sipping cocktails somewhere on a beautiful sunny beach, but unfortunately I realize that’s not what this looks like.

Are we even aware if JR entered the home? I may have missed that. Perhaps BM just gave her the key code to the garage to check on the cars and then SM’s bike.

It looks like the garage is attached to the house in the pictures, if so and if the bleach smell was that strong, it could be possible to smell it in the garage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member