Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #46

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one am grateful that the case has not yet been brought before a grand jury or is that a non issue in Colorado? I don’t want any DA or anyone else bringing this case anywhere until there is sufficient evidence to bring adequate charges. One bite of the apple means being extremely careful. I am willing to wait for BM or whoever to be indicted and successfully prosecuted. There is zero rush merely impatience on our part. As much as we hate the wait the Morphew and Moorman families know much more and are increasingly affected. Time will tell but we have to be patient. We want a conviction not a mistrial or acquittal IMO
I’ll admit to getting a bit impatient. Ultimately, I want a conviction and definitely willing to wait until LE and the DA are confident. Thanks for the reality check!

Does Find My iphone or GPS continue to work if a phone was submerged underwater? If a cell phone was submerged in a hot tub for over 30 minutes and then moved to a new location can it be tracked or would it provide its last known location?

Does Find My iphone or GPS continue to work if a phone was submerged underwater? If a cell phone was submerged in a hot tub for over 30 minutes and then moved to a new location can it be tracked or would it provide its last known location?
I don't think any data stored in the phone could survive a trip to a hot tub. I think water is pretty much a death sentence for most cellular phones/electronic devices, at least any of the ones our family has owned (and ruined) over the past 20 years! The only data I would think might be salvageable, was anything that had previously been backed up or sent up to be stored in a cloud, before it's swim in the hot tub.

Welcome!

I think it all depends on how damaged the device is, and if it can still communicate.

That kind of time in a hot tub isn’t typically conducive to a phone’s survival though.

My guess is the cell phone died around the time that Suzanne did. In that event, law enforcement would have its last known location before it was powered down/destroyed.

Hi @MammaBearUK. Broomfield and Boulder are approximately 20 minutes apart just like you said. We have several fires burning right now in Colorado, including the biggest fire in Colorado history at over 200,000 acres. The main road to my mountain town was closed due to the Cameron Peak fire so I had to take an alternate route yesterday that routed me close to the new Boulder fire. The area that fire is located at is between Boulder and Lyons and really not private/out of the way. There are houses close by and much traffic going by on U.S. 36. The fire seemed to be moving down a mountainside last night. We have had extreme drought conditions and a new fire just started today in Lefthand Canyon, which is also between Boulder and Lyons. I don't think this is related to the case, just extreme dry condition, high wind, and dry vegetation.
Thanks for the reply, stay safe

I think it all depends on how damaged the device is, and if it can still communicate.

That kind of time in a hot tub isn’t typically conducive to a phone’s survival though.

My guess is the cell phone died around the time that Suzanne did. In that event, law enforcement would have its last known location before it was powered down/destroyed.

Many phones are water resistant these days, whether iPhone or android. Weird coincidence, I was in the hot tub this weekend and didn’t see that I knocked my phone in. It was there probably 5-10 minutes before I noticed and no worse for wear. It’s plausible a phone could be submerged for 30 min and be fine.

iPhone 7 and up has at least IP67 rating which is water resistant up to 1 meter for 30 minutes.

I think this is highly unlikely due to the fact the whole point of hiring a hitman is to have a rock solid alibi - and everything about BMs alibi screams panic. MOO.
Rock-solid seemed the presence at the hotel in Broomfield on MD, he might have thought. What he did before and after wouldn't have been a hitman's problem, but that was "controlling BM in action" and he screwed it up with all that. Possibly. Perhaps.

Right before my best friend killed himself, he threw his iPhone in the toilet. The detectives told the family they could try to recover any data, but it would likely be compromised, due to the fact that it was submerged 2 days (they found him 2 days after he killed himself). AFAIK, I’m the person he last spoke to before pulling the trigger. I’ve been in Hades ever since....9yrs.) I don’t think he even shattered the screen beforehand, but he may have. It was very clear from this and other actions that he wanted no digital data preserved. We will never know why. Yet, the detectives said they MIGHT be able to retrieve data. His parents chose to let it go, as they just wanted to bury their son and grieve together. I’m not sure what would be possible. I’d think submersion in a hot tub would likely destroy all data. If anything, the last ping of location on her phone may have been while it first went into water. (IF that’s even what happened, as we don’t know yet.) If I was Barry, and allegedly murdered my wife, I’d take that phone and beat it to pieces with a sledgehammer, something of that sort. I’d gather every last fragment and throw it out the car window in a random location.
ALL JMO

Right before my best friend killed himself, he threw his iPhone in the toilet. The detectives told the family they could try to recover any data, but it would likely be compromised, due to the fact that it was submerged 2 days (they found him 2 days after he killed himself). AFAIK, I’m the person he last spoke to before pulling the trigger. I’ve been in Hades ever since....9yrs.) I don’t think he even shattered the screen beforehand, but he may have. It was very clear from this and other actions that he wanted no digital data preserved. We will never know why. Yet, the detectives said they MIGHT be able to retrieve data. His parents chose to let it go, as they just wanted to bury their son and grieve together. I’m not sure what would be possible. I’d think submersion in a hot tub would likely destroy all data. If anything, the last ping of location on her phone may have been while it first went into water. (IF that’s even what happened, as we don’t know yet.) If I was Barry, and allegedly murdered my wife, I’d take that phone and beat it to pieces with a sledgehammer, something of that sort. I’d gather every last fragment and throw it out the car window in a random location.
ALL JMO
I'm truly sorry to hear about your friend. It can be extremely difficult loosing someone to suicide.

I too am thinking if BM is guilty he would have destroyed the phone with the intention of it not being tracked.

RSBM: “That's the key reason why I believe that CCSO does not at present have probable cause to believe that anybody committed a crime”

LE has already stated it is a criminal investigation. Are you saying they don’t yet have enough evidence to prove, or are you suggesting there has been no crime committed at all?

No, I am sure that CCSO believes that a crime occurred. I'm saying that CCSO does not have probable cause to believe that a particular person -- alone or with others -- committed the crime. The government has to have an idea of the identity* of the defendant before charges can be brought.

* Even with so-called "John Doe" warrants, the identity of the defendant must be reasonably sufficiently supplied, either by a very good description of a suspect (including tattoos, birthmarks & scars) or by a DNA profile. Moreover, not all states allow these types of warrants, though Colorado courts have issued them in the past.

Last edited:
I'm truly sorry to hear about your friend. It can be extremely difficult loosing someone to suicide.

I too am thinking if BM is guilty he would have destroyed the phone with the intention of it not being tracked.

JMO I think it might have been the pieces of the phone or a murder weapon beneath the cement slab at the Salida sight. I don’t think it was SM's body or more cement would have been removed.

Because they were sifting, I think they were looking for something small like a smashed phone or gun.

He didn't lie about texting at 4am at least a AFAIK. That he was up and busy, going or coming from somewhere before
5am is the questionable piece. If his truck had a another destination besides MGs in Maysville that night or early morning the internal truck data would have shown it.
MOO important is whether he is possibly involved is, was there was a car available without modern tracking ? Old Range Rover or the old Civic or whatever it was.
Another theory if he possibly is involved:
If Saturday Sandwich sighting is true then maybe they never went home.
She was abducted right then in Salida at 5pm Saturday.

BBM

^This possibility worries me. If BM took SM for a sandwich and a “hike”, and never returned to the house, then the murder scene and disposal could be anywhere. Up in the mountains, along a roadway, etc.

jmo

Good point. They clearly believe a crime was committed, and have enough evidence to obtain multiple search warrants.

Barry himself has said that law enforcement is trying to blame him.

They just can’t yet prove the crime was murder, and Barry is responsible.

So, we are waiting on a ‘break through’ that has not yet occurred?

Last edited:
BBM

^This possibility worries me. If BM took SM for a sandwich and a “hike”, and never returned to the house, then the murder scene and disposal could be anywhere. Up in the mountains, along a roadway, etc.

jmo

True, but I get the feeling that there is electronic evidence that puts SM’s last digital footprint in the Puma Path house.

BBM

jmo

But LE couldn't get TWO search warrants based on a feeling a crime might have been committed in the house. There must have been something suggesting it, and that something -- coupled with the house listing with glaring omissions -- tells me there's a solid chance the house had been a crime scene.

Pure speculation:

Consider this, given the room in question, what if, in an escalating argument, Suzanne suddenly felt very afraid and managed to arm herself... the only thing readily available in a kitchen, knives. Which a bigger, stronger person could easily wrest away, but perhaps not without drawing serious blood. Hers. Sharp knife, strong hand, it could've been swift and thorough.

Major clean up required. Grout, the least yielding. Hence, bleach.

Can't help but wonder if a knife is missing. Or all the knives.

If only walls could talk. If not, perhaps the floor spoke volumes.

JMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members