Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #48

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone who is experienced in construction: can the block be reused? Could this wall have been disassembled and reassembled, using certain components? Would new dirt be required, other new materials brought in?

For anyone who is experienced in construction: can the block be reused? Could this wall have been disassembled and reassembled, using certain components? Would new dirt be required, other new materials brought in?

Yes the blocks can be reused if undamaged. If there was a geogrid or reinforcement in place it most likely would not be allowed to be reused, if reinforcements were in place the inspector would have to approve reuse or replace, reinforcement manufacturer's rarely allow re use. New dirt would not be required, but if backfill was required in a particular way or type (Certain aggregates and barriers are often needed to be placed behind a wall) to be used and if that backfill was contaminated or needed to be restructured, it would not be allowed for reuse. retaining walls can be quite simple and can be fairly technical as well.

Legitimate subcontractors send in certificates insurance right off the bat to the general, never known it not to be required. Interesting "public works projects", if a dime of Federal money is involved indeed they usually demands a "certified payroll." They want names and rates paid. We just don't have enough info to judge.

Yes, and most times performance bonds would have been needed if this was a contracted job, and being a public job payment bonds could have been required as well. Some projects would have had bid bonds required by the the general, have had to get them as sub before as well.

If its a public project there is a decent paper trail with everyone involved in the project. In most site work type of projects the Landscape Architect has final say of who, what, when as well as pay releases.

So, I'm curious re: opinions on this - if you were to put yourself in LE's shoes at this point, and we assume that you believe BM to be guilty, but are looking to gather a little more evidence (ideally, a body - but maybe other evidence) before an arrest - would you:

1) Continue to put pressure on BM, to the degree that you could. Make sure he knows you are watching, that you're continuing to press, following leads, digging, etc. - hoping that the pressure gets to BM and he slips up.

2) Or..... you back off, but keep a stealthy eye on BM. You continue to work behind the scenes, but outwardly you let things appear that they are slowing down. Let him breathe, let him think maybe he's going to get away with this - and hope that he lets his guard down and makes a mistake.

3) Something else?

An arrest won’t lead to SM, but it will lead to justice. The new DA takes office in January. She needs time to review the case, and you can bet they have their eye on a certain someone.

When the right time comes, there will be an arrest.

And they will nail him to the floor.

jmo

it could lead to a first degree charge and if it looks like there is a conviction likely, there could be a plea deal to a lesser charge if he gives up the body. Just an idea.

it could lead to a first degree charge and if it looks like there is a conviction likely, there could be a plea deal to a lesser charge if he gives up the body. Just an idea.
I agree. His best option will be to admit to a lesser charge, say it was accidental, and give up her body. Moo
Edited to add, I'll be surprised if he is able to do this.

I honestly don't think LE is keeping an eye on BM. Meaning, tracking any of his current activity such as his whereabouts or digital trails. I just don't see this case having that kind of LE activity. If he's the bad guy and will be arrested, they will find him, even if he becomes a fugitive. IMO

If he was using his business as an escape and a pathway to free time, that likely speaks more to his own character and work ethic (or lack thereof), than to his profession.

jmo
Of course, not EVERY landscaper (or craftsman of another profession) with an own business had chosen the profession because of that reason (to have some freedom). Btw, the "work ethic" doesn't have to suffer at all, if someone is his own boss. If a wife doesn't have to suffer or a whole family, Idk. As long as they are not fully informed about the head of household's schedule AND his stolen "freetime", they will suffer less. IMO

So, I'm curious re: opinions on this - if you were to put yourself in LE's shoes at this point, and we assume that you believe BM to be guilty, but are looking to gather a little more evidence (ideally, a body - but maybe other evidence) before an arrest - would you:

1) Continue to put pressure on BM, to the degree that you could. Make sure he knows you are watching, that you're continuing to press, following leads, digging, etc. - hoping that the pressure gets to BM and he slips up.

2) Or..... you back off, but keep a stealthy eye on BM. You continue to work behind the scenes, but outwardly you let things appear that they are slowing down. Let him breathe, let him think maybe he's going to get away with this - and hope that he lets his guard down and makes a mistake.

3) Something else?

This is literally impossible to answer from an informed perspective because

a.) we don't know what we don't know, in other words, we have NO idea what kind of evidence they already have, or don't have, and

b.) LE's job is not to assume guilt and build evidence to support it, but to follow where the evidence leads and let it point to the suspect. I'm sure the former does happen but it certainly never should.

jmo

Of course, not EVERY landscaper (or craftsman of another profession) with an own business had chosen the profession because of that reason (to have some freedom). Btw, the "work ethic" doesn't have to suffer at all, if someone is his own boss. If a wife doesn't have to suffer or a whole family, Idk. As long as they are not fully informed about the head of household's schedule AND his stolen "freetime", they will suffer less. IMO

I can see your point.

It makes me wonder if SM was questioning or challenging his schedule, finances, or anything that she rightfully should know - as his partner and equal. No one challenges the great and powerful master of the house. (Insert sarcasm)

And then she had to go.

jmo

3) Something else?
I don’t think it makes a difference. After all this time they probably have everything they are going to get from data and any analysis of materials. Finding Suzanne or getting an informant are probably the only two things to be worked on in my opinion.

I don’t think it makes a difference. After all this time they probably have everything they are going to get from data and any analysis of materials. Finding Suzanne or getting an informant are probably the only two things to be worked on in my opinion.

And maybe waiting for a new DA to give the green light.

3) Something else?

Good question. I have no LE experience but if I was a lead investigator, I might start by interviewing BM’s mother and his daughters again. I want to know what they are thinking now 6 months later. The interviews would take place in a less formal setting, in a coffee shop or something similar. Also, in the course of the interviews, I would let the daughters and mother know that LE has reasons to suspect their father and son. I might even share some of those reasons with them.

Who knows where it would go from there? Maybe nowhere.

JMO

Good question. I have no LE experience but if I was a lead investigator, I might start by interviewing BM’s mother and his daughters again. I want to know what they are thinking now 6 months later. The interviews would take place in a less formal setting, in a coffee shop or something similar. Also, in the course of the interviews, I would let the daughters and mother know that LE has reasons to suspect their father and son. I might even share some of those reasons with them.

Who knows where it would go from there? Maybe nowhere.

JMO

I think that none of the three individuals has any first hand information to add, as none of them were anywhere near Monarch Pass during the even the most expanded timeline. JMO

Good question. I have no LE experience but if I was a lead investigator, I might start by interviewing BM’s mother and his daughters again. I want to know what they are thinking now 6 months later. . Also, in the course of the interviews, I would let the daughters and mother know that LE has reasons to suspect their father and son. Who knows where it would go from there? Maybe nowhere.

JMO
RSBM
I think that none of the three individuals has any first hand information to add, as none of them were anywhere near Monarch Pass during the even the most expanded timeline. JMO

I don't think Minordetails post relates to finding evidence by those conversations, motive perhaps, even mom could unwittingly give information. ...so it doesn't matter where they were physically when it happened.

Last edited:

Who knows where it would go from there? Maybe nowhere. JMO

I think one of the most important things the girls could provide investigators would be some insight into SM -- her routine, habits, likes, dislikes, etc. I think it's fair to say we really know nothing about SM.

I'd like to know how many times SM rode her bike before church on Sunday or if she's ever done this before! I'd like to know if they knew BM had plans to be away from home on mother's day for whatever reason.

I could go on and on.

Mom and the daughters have some theories.. they have to by now. I want to know what they’re thinking. If they’re still thinking mountain lions, then you’re right. They have nothing to add. But maybe they’re thinking something else.
JMO

I'm sorry, but "information given" would be evidence. If they have no potential to divulge information that can be used against the assumed POI, then there is no point in talking to them. IMO

I think one of the most important things the girls could provide investigators would be some insight into SM -- her routine, habits, likes, dislikes, etc. I think it's fair to say we really know nothing about SM.

I'd like to know how many times SM rode her bike before church on Sunday or if she'd ever done this before! I'd like to know if they knew BM had plans to be away from home on mother's day for whatever reason.

I could go on and on.
I want to know her typical behavior when it came to her cell phone as well.

We are going to learn that Suzanne’s phone was shut off hours before Barry left that morning, and was never turned on prior to that bike ride.

“Is it normal for your mom to keep her phone off, even on Mother’s Day?”

Of course the answer will be no, but it will cripple BM’s narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025