Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #50

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lessons for Would-Be Criminals. Learned or Ignored?
(Too late for me to edit my post 282, Remains in Landfills, Mistakes. So adding quote here.)

A great lesson from a good movie: Talking his criminal client who is now out of prison, Ned an atty in private practice wants to kill his girlfriend's husband. After he asks ex-con Teddy for advice about how to commit arson (for disposing of body), Teddy shows him then and says ---

"I got a serious question for you: What the f--- are you doing? This is not *advertiser censored* for you to be messin' with. Are you ready to hear something? I want you to see if this sounds familiar: any time you try a decent crime, you got fifty ways you're gonna f--- up. If you think of twenty-five of them, then you're a genius... and you ain't no genius. You remember who told me that?"
[Ned nods, "yes"]*

For SM, I hope regardless of perp's planning, however extensive, he messed up one or more of those 50 ways, and is arrested, tried, and convicted. And imprisoned for life.
2:02 min clip of their convo, @ Youtube, search " Nice Mickey Rourke scene in 'Body Heat' "

Last edited:
(Too late for me to edit my post 282, Remains in Landfills, Mistakes. So adding quote here.)

A great lesson from a good movie: Talking his criminal client who is now out of prison, Ned an atty in private practice wants to kill his girlfriend's husband. After he asks ex-con Teddy for advice about how to commit arson (for disposing of body), Teddy shows him then and says ---

"I got a serious question for you: What the f--- are you doing? This is not **** for you to be messin' with. Are you ready to hear something? I want you to see if this sounds familiar: any time you try a decent crime, you got fifty ways you're gonna f--- up. If you think of twenty-five of them, then you're a genius... and you ain't no genius. You remember who told me that?"
[Ned nods, "yes"]*

For SM, I hope regardless of perp's planning, however extensive, he messed up one or more of those 50 ways, and is arrested, tried, and convicted.
2:02 min clip of their convo, @ Youtube, search " Nice Mickey Rourke scene in 'Body Heat' "

Nailed it! How appropriate, and I loved that movie...

What Happens When a Dead Body Is Dissolved in Lye?

I don't think this would work using a septic tank as the vessel for dissolution.

So what i understand, he can easily get all the components. However, the time... the time he might not have had?

Unless it was ... not whole?

Here - sulfuric acid. It was done in history, and not once.
How Hard Is it to Dissolve a Body?.

However, this product might be the strongest. I think it would smell of chlorine, and easy to make as no one would suspect either hydrochloric, or nitrous, acid, per se

Aqua regia - Wikipedia

Question:

Would BM's job - naturally - put him in contact with any strong corrosive substance that could be used to dissolve parts of the body?

What would it most likely be?

How much time would he have to do it? I'd assume, from the moment SM was last seen (not heard)?

Would the bleach be used to clean the bathroom afterwards?

Where was the smell of the bleach the strongest?

Alternatively (forget dissolving the body) - would bleach smell confuse cadaver dogs?

Last edited:

"I got a serious question for you: What the f--- are you doing? This is not **** for you to be messin' with. Are you ready to hear something? I want you to see if this sounds familiar: any time you try a decent crime, you got fifty ways you're gonna f--- up. If you think of twenty-five of them, then you're a genius... and you ain't no genius. You remember who told me that?"
[Ned nods, "yes"]*

For SM, I hope regardless of perp's planning, however extensive, he messed up one or more of those 50 ways, and is arrested, tried, and convicted. And imprisoned for life.

Very nice, thank you!

Also, as I believe that in this case, we are dealing with the most mundane motive, avarice:

Supposedly, the perp knew how to count and did not want to divide the property in divorce.

But now, after all of it has been read, he obviously lost his business; god knows if the house will sell, probably, at a loss, if ever...his name is known, and not in a good way, his children's lives are never going to be the same...
wouldn't it have been cheaper to merely divide the assets?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-11-26 Big Arm Unit - Flathead Lake State Park, Montana.png
    Screenshot_2020-11-26 Big Arm Unit - Flathead Lake State Park, Montana.png
    812.5 KB · Views: 32
I appreciate your post, thank you. That’s just it. I think LE has a good idea what the state of their marriage was at this point. I don’t think they need another person to tell them what SM might have shared about her husband & their relationship, etc. Got it, check.

I really don’t think this talk from LE about being in trouble for having certain information is about BM, this is about SM and her specific social media activity (not cell activity & pings).

Before anyone says it, I’m not a fan of BM (Im a fan of Bill Murray) a supporter, whatever. I don’t care about that dude at all. I view him as weak minded and he can pound salt for all I care.

I’ve never been all in over BM, I think he’s the likely suspect but there is just something nagging me about other possibilities here. I don’t think things are as they appear is all. IMO
If LE had a fair amount of proof BM killed her but the investigation uncovered other ongoing criminal activity, might they postpone making murder charges if that would hamper the other investigation?

Not a hypothesis, just a general question.

One other thing makes it just about impossible for it to have been anyone other than BM.

Suzanne’s phone.

If Suzanne’s phone was turned on after BM left, then he’s pretty much cleared (at least as far as being her killer).

Obviously that isn’t the case.

Some day in the future, we will learn that Suzanne’s phone went dark before Barry left that morning.

She didn’t check it when she woke up.

She didn’t check it to communicate with her daughter’s on Mother’s Day.

She didn’t turn it on before she went on that “bike ride.”

Because she was dead.

Good thinking -- the phone, the phone, the phone... it's been bothering me and all of us... we've seen this before.

Going alone for a bike ride and not taking your phone?
Somebody in your family is injured -- someone will call you about it -- you need your phone; your house is on fire -- a neighbor will call you -- you need your phone; you fall and break your ankle and cannot walk, or you have some type of breathing or heart or brain episode (it happens to healthy people) -- you need your phone. You're expecting an important call -- you need your phone.
SMH.

Good thinking -- the phone, the phone, the phone... it's been bothering me and all of us... we've seen this before.

Going alone for a bike ride and not taking your phone?
Somebody in your family is injured -- someone will call you about it -- you need your phone; your house is on fire -- a neighbor will call you -- you need your phone; you fall and break your ankle and cannot walk, or you have some type of breathing or heart or brain episode (it happens to healthy people) -- you need your phone. You're expecting an important call -- you need your phone.
SMH.
Here’s the thing though, I believe that phone is missing, which would mean that she did take it on her bike ride.

Of course there was no bike ride, but BM will claim that Suzanne did typically take her phone, which disappeared with her.

The issue is that her phone wouldn’t have been activated at any point after BM left, which will be beyond damning.

Now if Suzanne didn’t typically take her phone for some reason, there’s two issues:

Why wasn’t her phone active on Mother’s Day of all Days?

Why the hell is it missing?

My point is that I doubt that SM had a LinkedIn account. I should have been more clear and apologize.

By their own definition, LinkedIn is a professional network that's mainly focused on careers.

We know she had fb, Instagram, and had not posted on Twitter since April 2017.

What is LinkedIn and How Can I Use It? | LinkedIn Help
The LE press release says

“anyone who may have engaged with Suzanne on Facebook, Instagram, Voxer, FaceTime or WhatsApp and would like to share new information or come forward if they haven’t been interviewed is asked to contact the Suzanne Morphew tip line, regardless of how insignificant you think the information may be, or whether you think investigators are already aware of it.”.

I find it interesting that they stated these five specific forums and didn’t say “or any other platforms”. That tells me 1) Suzanne has been on all those specific platforms and 2) they are looking for additional info on something they think she discussed on those platforms.

Of course it could just be an oversight that they didn’t ask for communication someone may have had with her on another platform. Or maybe it’s implied. But LE in this case doesn’t strike me as sloppy.

MOO

Yes, we've heard several different versions concerning the time of the conversation and when it suddenly ceased.

I think at first the PE guys said they were communicating via SM or Facebook, and then later it was said they were texting by phone? I'm not sure now and I can't remember the latest details about that. Maybe it was both, at different times. They were reportedly communicating throughout the day.

At some point someone must have called her and it went straight to voicemail, which may have been the time the phone was powered down or the battery died. I think that may be what Andy was referring to when he said the phone was dead. Imo
It might be that her voicemail-box was full...

From what I can see in Google Earth views, the terrain would be difficult for a wheeled skid-steer loader. A rubber tracked loader would have a better chance of navigating the landscape, however either machine would leave significant ground disturbances from the wheels/tracks that would take a lot of work to conceal and would not necessarily require the operator/actor to get wet. While a lot of work could cover up the loader tracks, there would be no way to conceal the crushed brush, branches and ground litter. If near the river was the method of concealment, I think it would have been done with hand tools.
Why are so many people thinking he disposed of her close to home? We know he drove to Broomfield in the wee small hours when all but highways and main feeder roads close to them would likely be all but deserted. There are plenty of deserted small lanes where he could have pulled off the road and dumped her remains. Some with sharp drop offs ending in ditches that may never be seen by the human eye.

Yes, it might be dicey to drive around with a corpse in the car but the likelihood of getting stopped AND having your vehicle searched is very low in these parts. IMO much less risky than disposing of your victim close to home.

SM Leaves Home w No Phone?
Good thinking -- the phone, the phone, the phone... it's been bothering me and all of us... we've seen this before. Going alone for a bike ride and not taking your phone?...
@borndem sbm ... Yes, I see your point and understand for some ppl, the cell is another appendage, so never without it, and they have multiple portable devices to charge it on the go. Phone, not w her? Bothers me too.

But if SM did really, truly, actually, factually go on a bike ride, a walk, or leave the house for whatever reason, maybe she looked at phone and said to herself,
"Uh-oh, battery is waaay down; signal out there is pretty dodgy; chances are if someone called me, I'd not get connected and ditto, if I need to call someone; and I'll be back in ten minutes (an hour or two, or whatever projected return would be), these clothes don't have a pocket to put phone in, so I'll just leave it on the charger, until I get back."

Not saying this happened or is likely, but after SM's disappearance, if her phone was found at home, possible???
As @MassGuy posted, we do not even know if LE located her phone.

Last edited:
Why are so many people thinking he disposed of her close to home? We know he drove to Broomfield in the wee small hours when all but highways and main feeder roads close to them would likely be all but deserted. There are plenty of deserted small lanes where he could have pulled off the road and dumped her remains. Some with sharp drop offs ending in ditches that may never be seen by the human eye.

Yes, it might be dicey to drive around with a corpse in the car but the likelihood of getting stopped AND having your vehicle searched is very low in these parts. IMO much less risky than disposing of your victim close to home.
You're right, and I won't totally discount any location between PP and Broomfield for sure.

But there are indicator's Barry wasn't home hanging out in the hot tub Saturday night. I'm primarily talking about the neighbor at the job site who heard heavy equipment operating late at night. Then MG who said BM was on the road at 4 something Sunday morning. I suspect he didn't sleep a wink Saturday night because he was hiding Suzanne's body. Whether that was one mile or sixty miles away, I can only guess. But IMO, he choose an area close to home, which he was familiar with, and comfortable being there in the dark.

Here’s the thing though, I believe that phone is missing, which would mean that she did take it on her bike ride.

Of course there was no bike ride, but BM will claim that Suzanne did typically take her phone, which disappeared with her.

The issue is that her phone wouldn’t have been activated at any point after BM left, which will be beyond damning.

Now if Suzanne didn’t typically take her phone for some reason, there’s two issues:

Why wasn’t her phone active on Mother’s Day of all Days?

Why the hell is it missing?

About that cell phone- Andy said:
58:46
suzanne always carried her cell phone
58:49
she tucked it into her shirt by her
58:51
chest every time she rode her bike
58:53
and they cannot find a cell phone

He got that information from someone, who told him that, BM?

Yeah, I absolutely don’t believe she’s close to home. He left early on Sunday for a reason.

I believe that reason was to dispose of Suzanne’s body in a location that he felt she would never be found.

I wonder if it is possible to get phone gps information from where a phone was at when the message was sent? Hard to explain but if they had the phone of the person she was texting or messaging thru, would her phone's gps information be tagged with her message? kind of like the follow friends apps? Just a thought.

I wonder if it is possible to get phone gps information from where a phone was at when the message was sent? Hard to explain but if they had the phone of the person she was texting or messaging thru, would her phone's gps information be tagged with her message? kind of like the follow friends apps? Just a thought.
The phone company should have that information. Like a phone call, text messages require the phone to be in contact with cell towers.

We saw this in the Kelsey Berreth case, where the movements of her phone were tracked on the days after her disappearance. Law enforcement didn’t have the phone itself, but it didn’t matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HubCitySleuth