Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #52

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @swedeheart for posting the video.

I agree with everybody who said it was interesting.

What a surprising info about the bike. I wonder what was about that cheaper bike Suzanne might have needed for her more expensive bike, which would have been cheaper to buy inclusive a bike than just order the part.
I have a hard time imagining what that would have been.

What I also found interesting was the comment of one of the experts (sorry wasn’t taking notes) about if you are investigating a house fire you should check if there were some valuables taken out just before the fire. (Not verbatim)
And here we have a bike which was the cheapest one thrown down from the road and the expensive one sitting home safe. Hmmm. Unless her own bike was really not in any shape to ride, which LE would already know.

I also completely agree that we don’t have a strong denial from BM with an “I didn’t “ sentence. At least I haven’t seen one yet.

And the revelation that he seems to be a true crime fan... Wow. If that’s true, I bet he was sure he thought about everything, that he is smarter than the police, LE would just see he wasn’t there (he has a hotel reservation to show for and is on video) and he will be in the clear in no time.

ALL IMHO

Ok guys. Thanks for the lovely compliments. It means the world to know you guys appreciate me around here. :)

I'll start with the first video that was analysed, which was our favorite 26-second video plea from Mr. Morphew. I'll take it line by line, as they did on the show, and summarize their theories on what his words, and sometimes body language, tells us.

***Before you even take a look at BM's statement, you look at the context of the statement. Barry filmed and posted this plea on his own accord. No outside contaminations. It's his perception only. This is called a "clean statement," meaning no outside influence. If he didn't say exactly what he wanted to say, he could re-film it. This statement was the one he picked and chose to put out. Why did he decide to do this on his own, and not in conjunction with LE? What is his priority in posting this? Who is the intended audience? This is actually key going into this analysis.

"Oh, Suzanne, if anyone's out there..."

In his first breath, he goes from addressing SM directly to addressing a stranger or group of strangers. He shifts gears so quickly, we are left wondering who he is addressing. He is implying, by addressing SM, that she might have something to do with her disappearance. Then he immediately implies that someone else might have something to do with her disappearance. He is opening up options for the viewer to consider why she's gone. "If" creates a question. It also goes against human nature to assume the worst about our loved one, so by him saying "if" SM can hear him, that also implies she might not be able to hear him, meaning she is dead. Considering she has only been missing for a couple of weeks, this type of language is unexpected, and goes against human nature. It becomes concerning.

"That can hear this..."

He poses the statement in such a way to imply that someone has the ability to "hear this." "If" implies, since he has addressed both SM and a stranger, that there is a possibility, in his mind, that Suzanne (or a stranger) could be hearing his plea.

"That has you..."

This is another direct message to a possible perpetrator. He's no longer talking to SM. We also see here that he's pleading to a specific audience. He jumps from addressing SM, to making an implied allegation that someone has her, like a kidnapper.

"Please, we'll do whatever it takes to bring you back..."

Who's we? Is it him and the girls? Is it him and LE? Long pause after "please." With that "please," we expect a request, but he gives us nothing. This was his opportunity to show concern about SM's welfare. Is she being fed? Is she warm? Is she safe? This could be because maybe, in his mind, there was nothing to plea for. Now, we are starting to wonder if this is a scripted statement. He leaves it up to the listener to interpret what "please" means. As an investigator, when you start interpreting things, you lose. Sometimes, criminals will hope to appeal to your emotions by not being specific. Do not bite.

(I'll divide this up in separate posts to make it a little easier to read).

Last edited:
Someone please refresh my memory, I don’t recall a phone call at 4 or 5 am. I recall something like Barry was rambling down the road and texting at that time. With so many threads, I don’t recall exactly.

I am so frustrated over this case! This mother needs to be found!!

The rambling down the road texting came from AM IIRC in one of PE’s podcasts.

IIRC the called her that time info came from another PE podcast or LS interview, where it was told MG thought very early in the morning she heard what she thought was BM’s truck in front of her house. MG got dressed and wanted to go out and then Barry called her. I can’t remember anymore in which podcast this was.
There was a discussion about it at the time in the thread about why would Barry show up that hour at MG’s, if it would be normal for MG to jump out of bed and prepare herself to go like this and if they might have something else going on.

I have to add two things though:

1. I don’t go look around to other sources, everything I read comes from sources permitted here, don’t read hearsay and comments elsewhere.

2. I can see if after reading MG said BM was there at an early hour and called, and after that AM saying BM was rambling down the road texting to assemble a crew around 4-5am and BM himself saying he left around 5, that the conclusion would be we are talking here about the same event. Is there an other option? There might be, as none of us was there to witness it.

All IMHO

"We love you, we miss you...Your girls need you..."

Again, who's "we?" So far we have not seen BM use a possessive singular pronoun. He has ejected himself from the statement, and this suggests an emotional detachment, or the possibility of one. By saying "your girls need you," he is addressing SM directly. This implies that she might have the ability to come home and has decided to stay away on her own. Straight up victim-blaming. Again, concerning usage of words.

"No questions asked..."

Well, of course questions should be asked. Now you start to look at the totality of his statement. Who is this statement directed at? SM? An abductor? Is it because there are questions there that BM doesn't want to be asked?

For this to come on the heels of disparaging SM implies it is a "good guy" statement. He is building himself up by implying that he won't ask any questions if she comes home.

"No questions asked" could also be implied as a power position, as if he is the one in control of who gets to ask what questions. Is this reflective of his personality type? Is he reflecting characteristics of himself in this statement? Is he projecting? These are the types of questions investigators will start to ask themselves after a statement like this.

"However much they want...

Who is he speaking to? What's his priority here? Is this a message for Suzanne to pass to her abductors, as if she has that ability? (This is ridiculous, and he wants LE to think he's a good guy, doing whatever it takes to get his wife back. However, it's not congruent.)

"Honey I love you...
I want you back so bad."

"So bad" is a qualifier, and completely unnecessary in this statement. "I want you back" was enough, but he adds "so bad" to be more convincing. It's subtle, but noticeable to LE. It diminishes the importance of the statement, and that's not expected when he's just lost his wife. A qualifier was not needed in this statement, and a simple "I want you back" would have gotten the point across. This is a red flag.
He does use a possessive pronoun "I" here, so it does come across as truthful. He does want her back, and he does love her.

What would have come across as more honest would be something like "I want you back safely," but there's no focus in the entire statement about the condition SM might be in. It's significantly missing and concerning that he doesn't use this kind of language in the plea. So again, what is the priority of this video? It comes across as more of a statement for the public (and LE), and not to Suzanne or any abductors.

*The way we speak, whether it's verbally or non-verbally, is an extension of our thoughts, feelings, and emotions. We are seeing a variety of thoughts, feelings, and emotions that BM must be going through, regardless of whether or not he's a suspect or POI. Interestingly, he's never been regarded as either by LE, and yet he behaves as though he's being accused of being a suspect, and even told LS he was. He is the only person who's made that statement, as far as we know.

I will be back later with the next video. :)

"We love you, we miss you...Your girls need you..."

Again, who's "we?" So far we have not seen BM use a possessive singular pronoun. He has ejected himself from the statement, and this suggests an emotional detachment, or the possibility of one. By saying "your girls need you," he is addressing SM directly. This implies that she might have the ability to come home and has decided to stay away on her own. Straight up victim-blaming. Again, concerning usage of words.

"No questions asked..."

Well, of course questions should be asked. Now you start to look at the totality of his statement. Who is this statement directed at? SM? An abductor? Is it because there are questions there that BM doesn't want to be asked?

For this to come on the heels of disparaging SM implies it is a "good guy" statement. He is building himself up by implying that he won't ask any questions if she comes home.

"No questions asked" could also be implied as a power position, as if he is the one in control of who gets to ask what questions. Is this reflective of his personality type? Is he reflecting characteristics of himself in this statement? Is he projecting? These are the types of questions investigators will start to ask themselves after a statement like this.

"However much they want...

Who is he speaking to? What's his priority here? Is this a message for Suzanne to pass to her abductors, as if she has that ability? (This is ridiculous, and he wants LE to think he's a good guy, doing whatever it takes to get his wife back. However, it's not congruent.)

"Honey I love you...
I want you back so bad."

"So bad" is a qualifier, and completely unnecessary in this statement. "I want you back" was enough, but he adds "so bad" to be more convincing. It's subtle, but noticeable to LE. It diminishes the importance of the statement, and that's not expected when he's just lost his wife. A qualifier was not needed in this statement, and a simple "I want you back" would have gotten the point across. This is a red flag.
He does use a possessive pronoun "I" here, so it does come across as truthful. He does want her back, and he does love her.

What would have come across as more honest would be something like "I want you back safely," but there's no focus in the entire statement about the condition SM might be in. It's significantly missing and concerning that he doesn't use this kind of language in the plea. So again, what is the priority of this video? It comes across as more of a statement for the public (and LE), and not to Suzanne or any abductors.

*The way we speak, whether it's verbally or non-verbally, is an extension of our thoughts, feelings, and emotions. We are seeing a variety of thoughts, feelings, and emotions that BM must be going through, regardless of whether or not he's a suspect or POI. Interestingly, he's never been regarded as either by LE, and yet he behaves as though he's being accused of being a suspect, and even told LS he was. He is the only person who's made that statement, as far as we know.

I will be back later with the next video. :)

Wow! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this @swedeheart for all of us here. This analysis explains everything I have felt from the beginning but was unable to articulate. It was such a discombobulated plea I couldn’t find the words to dissect it! The irony is, LE have never told us BM is a POI, yet BM has told in no uncertain terms. It might be the only thing I believe of everything he has said! :) MOO

The rambling down the road texting came from AM IIRC in one of PE’s podcasts.

IIRC the called her that time info came from another PE podcast or LS interview, where it was told MG thought very early in the morning she heard what she thought was BM’s truck in front of her house. MG got dressed and wanted to go out and then Barry called her. I can’t remember anymore in which podcast this was.
There was a discussion about it at the time in the thread about why would Barry show up that hour at MG’s, if it would be normal for MG to jump out of bed and prepare herself to go like this and if they might have something else going on.

I have to add two things though:

1. I don’t go look around to other sources, everything I read comes from sources permitted here, don’t read hearsay and comments elsewhere.

2. I can see if after reading MG said BM was there at an early hour and called, and after that AM saying BM was rambling down the road texting to assemble a crew around 4-5am and BM himself saying he left around 5, that the conclusion would be we are talking here about the same event. Is there an other option? There might be, as none of us was there to witness it.

All IMHO

Thanks for your reply. My info only comes from here as well. It’s just hard for me to recall every detail over this much time!

Wow! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this @swedeheart for all of us here. This analysis explains everything I have felt from the beginning but was unable to articulate. It was such a discombobulated plea I couldn’t find the words to dissect it! The irony is, LE have never told us BM is a POI, yet BM has told in no uncertain terms. It might be the only thing I believe of everything he has said! :) MOO
Right?! I was so impressed with the 3 expert LE professionals Chris had on last night, and I gotta say, it was almost a relief to hear these esteemed LE professionals pretty much confirm after breaking down BM’s statements in his controlled, rehearsed 26 second Facebook video “plea”, what most of us have felt all along- that it was an epic FAIL.

IMHO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
I haven’t listened to CM’s show yet but the info on two bikes is so bizarre. I’ve mountain biked for 25+ years.

-You’d never buy a cheaper ‘parts’ bike and then put the cheaper parts on a more expensive bike. Why? Because you’d be downgrading the performance of your more expensive bike and making it heavier.

-Even in April or May of last year, the latest a ‘parts bike’ could have been purchased, there was not a parts shortage like we started to see in July/August (from the pandemic and increased interest in biking). So if an expensive bike needed a part, it could have been purchased.

-SM’s baby blue bike was a full suspension Santa Cruz from ~2016. I posted a link to it in previous thread. But parts for a bike like that aren’t interchangeable. You have all sorts of variance in length, size, materials. You couldn’t just buy a different, cheaper bike, and slap those parts in her bike. They most likely wouldn’t fit properly.

-It would also make no sense to have a long term bike repair guy like SM had but then buy a cheap parts bike. Mainly because by having that repair guy, it’s telling us that SM and BM did not have the skill set or tools to work on the bike themselves. BecUse if they did, why would they have a need for a repair guy?

The only thing I can think of is that SM’s Santa Cruz bike needed some work done and that is why she was visiting her repair guy before she disappeared. BM knew the Santa Cruz bike wasn’t able to be ridden, so he bought a cheaper bike because he needed something that SM could theoretically ride in order for his plan to work. If BM did indeed buy the ‘parts bike’ a few weeks before she went missing, it really points to premeditation.

Last edited:
Right?! I was so impressed with the 3 expert LE professionals Chris had on last night, and I gotta say, it was almost a relief to hear these esteemed professionals confirm what most of us have felt about BM’s controlled, rehearsed 26 second FB video “plea”, -
that it was an epic FAIL.

IMHO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne
It was also interesting hearing the experts highlighting the fact BM’s FB plea video of 26 sec was something he himself approved and chose to share. Because if there was anything he though was wrong with it, he could just have made an other one.

Just spit balling this but I wonder if SM was murdered Friday or early Saturday morning. Maybe the bike was staged at that same time to make it look like she went out for a ride on Saturday. Then BM thinks his work on Saturday is a good alibi, but as the morning goes on he has second thoughts and thinks he needs to build a stronger alibi. He aborts the work in Salida, and starts to formulate the Broomfield job alibi plan. Perhaps that is why some things feel premeditated (kids being out of town, Bike purchase, full moon) yet the Alibi feels hastily put together.

As I said in the live (I'm Algo almost everywhere online), this is starting to look like the West boys case in that Mother's Day was coming so people would be asking about her, so to cover his tracks, he reported her missing.
What avid anything does not use their best gear, it's not furniture or art to look at so having a cheaper "for parts" bike doesn't make sense to her profile or to the nature of her hobby as stated by @EggSalad. My dad is also a biking fan and through him I learned a thing or two and I know that certain parts are not immediately interchangeable so if one was high end and the other was a $100 one I find it hard to believe they would've fit. Yet another hole in his story

And you know what, I'll just say the part about the parallel with the West case is only my opinion and educated guess/speculation, everything else is fact.

Thanks @swedeheart for posting the video.

I agree with everybody who said it was interesting.

What a surprising info about the bike. I wonder what was about that cheaper bike Suzanne might have needed for her more expensive bike, which would have been cheaper to buy inclusive a bike than just order the part.
I have a hard time imagining what that would have been.

What I also found interesting was the comment of one of the experts (sorry wasn’t taking notes) about if you are investigating a house fire you should check if there were some valuables taken out just before the fire. (Not verbatim)
And here we have a bike which was the cheapest one thrown down from the road and the expensive one sitting home safe. Hmmm. Unless her own bike was really not in any shape to ride, which LE would already know.

I also completely agree that we don’t have a strong denial from BM with an “I didn’t “ sentence. At least I haven’t seen one yet.

And the revelation that he seems to be a true crime fan... Wow. If that’s true, I bet he was sure he thought about everything, that he is smarter than the police, LE would just see he wasn’t there (he has a hotel reservation to show for and is on video) and he will be in the clear in no time.

ALL IMHO

BM being a true crime fan really makes the whole ‘no gps data for the disposal of the body’ thing make a lot more sense.

I haven’t listened to CM’s show yet but the info on two bikes is so bizarre. I’ve mountain biked for 25+ years.

-You’d never buy a cheaper ‘parts’ bike and then put the cheaper parts on a more expensive bike. Why? Because you’d be downgrading the performance of your more expensive bike and making it heavier.

-Even in April or May of last year, the latest a ‘parts bike’ could have been purchased, there was not a parts shortage like we started to see in July/August (from the pandemic and increased interest in biking). So if an expensive bike needed a part, it could have been purchased.

-SM’s baby blue bike was a full suspension Santa Cruz from ~2016. I posted a link to it in previous thread. But parts for a bike like that aren’t interchangeable. You have all sorts of variance in length, size, materials. You couldn’t just buy a different, cheaper bike, and slap those parts in her bike. They most likely wouldn’t fit properly.

-It would also make no sense to have a long term bike repair guy like SM had but then buy a cheap parts bike. Mainly because by having that repair guy, it’s telling us that SM and BM did not have the skill set or tools to work on the bike themselves. BecUse if they did, why would they have a need for a repair guy?

The only thing I can think of is that SM’s Santa Cruz bike needed some work done and that is why she was visiting her repair guy before she disappeared. BM knew the Santa Cruz bike wasn’t able to be ridden, so he bought a cheaper bike because he needed something that SM could theoretically ride in order for his plan to work. If BM did indeed buy the ‘parts bike’ a few weeks before she went missing, it really points to premeditation.

You could also look at the time line below as an interesting self contained time line leading up to her disappearance.

-When was the girls’ out of town trip planned
-When did SM first visit her repair guy about work needed for her Santa Cruz bike, and what parts might have been ordered at that time
-When did BM purchase the cheaper bike

BM being a true crime fan really makes the whole ‘no gps data for the disposal of the body’ thing make a lot more sense.
You make an excellent point @EggSalad. Chris mentioned that he had spoken to one of BM’s good friends, I believe he said they’ve been friends since kindergarten, and this fellow told Chris about BM being a true crime fan, apparently friend told Chris that BM always listens to TC podcasts in his earphones when they go out hunting. :rolleyes:

IMHO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
Well, it is possible Chris meant they had 2 bikes: one was newer, and therefore more expensive, and one was an older version of the same bike? And therefore, the parts could be swapped? It could be he said a cheapo bike, but only meant cheaper than the more expensive bike? Not sure about that, but what you bike guys are saying does make sense. You wouldn't downgrade.

And don't I know it @fcavanaugh, it's such a relief to know we were on the right track around here, regardless of the naysayers who believe in "innocent until proven guilty" for BM, and will not budge at all the little things we have picked up on that were worthy of discussion (Not at Websleuths necessarily, but on social media). I get so frustrated reading that over and over. Of course, I believe in innocence until proven guilty, as I believe every person at Websleuths does, too, but we ain't in court! Lol. And it's the totality of all the strange things that have come out of Barry's mouth + his actions that have caused all the speculation! We don't just pull it out of thin air bc we don't like him. That's ridiculous.

The next video they discussed was part of his interview with Lauren, and I'll get on that as soon as I have a couple of hours to sit down and re-listen. Real life calls for now. :)

Just spit balling this but I wonder if SM was murdered Friday or early Saturday morning. Maybe the bike was staged at that same time to make it look like she went out for a ride on Saturday. Then BM thinks his work on Saturday is a good alibi, but as the morning goes on he has second thoughts and thinks he needs to build a stronger alibi. He aborts the work in Salida, and starts to formulate the Broomfield job alibi plan. Perhaps that is why some things feel premeditated (kids being out of town, Bike purchase, full moon) yet the Alibi feels hastily put together.

But then what do we do with the friend back in Indiana that was chatting online with Suzanne on Saturday, and then their chat abruptly ended? I know some suspect BM might have been impersonating Suzanne but I don't think that's what happened.

I think whatever did happen to her, happened Saturday afternoon or evening.
This explains why he never mentioned a word about the Broomfield job set to start for the very next day with a crew, when he was working with MG earlier that day.
It was never planned to start the next day with a crew.

Not until suddenly it was the perfect alibi. <-- 100% speculation of course, but it makes the most sense to me.

jmo

Well, it is possible Chris meant they had 2 bikes: one was newer, and therefore more expensive, and one was an older version of the same bike? And therefore, the parts could be swapped? It could be he said a cheapo bike, but only meant cheaper than the more expensive bike? Not sure about that, but what you bike guys are saying does make sense. You wouldn't downgrade.

And don't I know it @fcavanaugh, it's such a relief to know we were on the right track around here, regardless of the naysayers who believe in "innocent until proven guilty" for BM, and will not budge at all the little things we have picked up on that were worthy of discussion (Not at Websleuths necessarily, but on social media). I get so frustrated reading that over and over. Of course, I believe in innocence until proven guilty, as I believe every person at Websleuths does, too, but we ain't in court! Lol. And it's the totality of all the strange things that have come out of Barry's mouth + his actions that have caused all the speculation! We don't just pull it out of thin air bc we don't like him. That's ridiculous.

The next video they discussed was part of his interview with Lauren, and I'll get on that as soon as I have a couple of hours to sit down and re-listen. Real life calls for now. :)

Even with an older model of the same bike, the parts wouldn’t necessarily be interchangeable. You have different frame sizes and geometry, incremental changes in the parts from one year to another. And in April or May, parts were still pretty easy to come by. I bought and put a new suspension fork, stem, handlebars, front gear ring and chain on my mountain bike last April/May and would have never thought of buying a parts bike because it wouldn’t have worked. The only reason I would have bought another bike is if I had an urgent ride, my current bike didn’t work, and I absolutely needed to go on that ride.

it also wouldn’t make sense to have a repair guy that you go to regularly, yet also have the skill set to take parts off one bike and install them on another.

I really think we have a scenario where SM’s main bike needed work done in order to be in riding condition and this second bike was purchased so that a working bike could be part of the cover up.

Last edited:
But then what do we do with the friend back in Indiana that was chatting online with Suzanne on Saturday, and then their chat abruptly ended? I know some suspect BM might have been impersonating Suzanne but I don't think that's what happened.

I think whatever did happen to her, happened Saturday afternoon or evening.
This explains why he never mentioned a word about the Broomfield job set to start for the very next day with a crew, when he was working with MG earlier that day.
It was never planned to start the next day with a crew.

Not until suddenly it was the perfect alibi. <-- 100% speculation of course, but it makes the most sense to me.

jmo

I totally agree. My only concern is that we’ve never gotten a definitive time frame on those texts and/or Facebook activity. Nor do we know if it was just 1 friend or multiple friends. I wish we knew those details, as we’ve gotten a couple different variations of timing.

I totally agree. My only concern is that we’ve never gotten a definitive time frame on those texts and/or Facebook activity. Nor do we know if it was just 1 friend or multiple friends. I wish we knew those details, as we’ve gotten a couple different variations of timing.

Exactly, the time frame has jumped around, but it's been consistently reported as being Saturday.
IIRC, it was with the one friend who's kid was getting married, but the details of that have slipped around a little bit as well.

The

RBBM
Very well said @swedeheart, ITA.

Thank you so much for transcribing Chris’s live for us, it’s very much appreciated!
You’re a gem:)

IMHO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online