Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that this was mishandled. Three days, tearing up a foundation and finding nothing. I sure hope they were following other leads and conducting searches.
MOO they did not quite say they found nothing. They found nothing to connect the search to Suzanne Morphew at this time.

Last edited:
Anyone concerned that LE is ignoring possibility of SM having been kidnapped?
AFAIK, LE has made no stmt saying: In this case we are investigating the possibility of a kidnapping.
If LE were to make such an announcement, would it give anyone peace of mind that LE is conducting a thorough investigation & would gather sufficient evidence to end in arrest, prosecution, trial, and conviction of the perp(s)?
Doubtful, but jmo.

Nor has LE issued a stmt saying: In this case we are investigating the possibility that a flying saucer landed on Hwy 50, little green men hopped out, used ray guns to kill SM, put her remains in flying saucer, and headed back to their planet. If LE made such an announcement, would it give anyone peace of mind that LE is conducting a thorough investigation, etc. Doubtful, but jmo.

My point (sorry, if it sounded snarky): LE is obligated to investigate MPs & crimes (we don't know which it is ATM) &
LE is not obligated to release investigation strategy, results, or info to the public.
Sometimes LE makes appeal to public for info,:cool: sometimes LE does not. :cool:
As @bancam posted,:) not yet time to wring hands over LE's approach.:)

Today's press release. Bold by me.

May 24th, Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

"Investigators searched several locations on the property; however, they were unable to make any connection to Suzanne Morphew’s case at this time. Details about the search are not available, as this is part of the active investigation."

So yeah. We wait.

I hate to bore people here by being repetitive but I’ve written several times about how this was never handled like a standard missing person case. No BOLOs with a description, no requests for anyone in X vicinity (where bike or “personal object” was found) to report anything they saw, not even any requests for people to review their residential cameras (just “keep the footage—but please don’t send it to us”). That works fine when there really is a lot of evidence implicating someone. Doesn’t work well at all when, as in this case, there apparently is not. I think the sheriff basically had a feeling, and he’s not finding evidence to support that feeling. No matter who (if anyone) is ultimately charged, the handling of the case is a defense attorney’s dream. An outsider points to the husband, who was always the chief suspect, and the husband screams “they never even considered anyone else.”

I respect your opinion, but I think it requires one to make some assumptions. We simply don't know what happened that day, or what exactly LE responded to. I doubt we will know for a while. But I'm inclined to think that this was treated differently from the start because it was actually different from the start. LE seems to have been methodical in regards to their response here, and I don't think we have enough data to say otherwise.

MOO they did not quite say they found nothing. They found nothing to connect the search to Suzanne Morphew at this time.
This ^^^

Today's press release. Bold by me.

May 24th, Press Release - Chaffee County Sheriff

"Investigators searched several locations on the property; however, they were unable to make any connection to Suzanne Morphew’s case at this time. Details about the search are not available, as this is part of the active investigation."

So yeah. We wait.
That ^^^

I have a rather long winded explanation for this, but it's all speculative.

Short answer is, she's known to ride on Sunday.

Girls assumed it, perp used it, then girls told the neighbor that's where they thought she was.

Neighbor called 911 and repeated it.

Then it grew legs.

"Short answer is, she's known to ride on Sunday."

That's why they always say to vary your routine.

Where is that sourced from if you don't mind me asking?

Exactly. So it seems important to know where the bike ride idea originated, especially if it originated before anyone searched the house or found the bike. How would they know that? Could be because they planted the bike....

It's in the very first sheriff's press release about her being missing. Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

"On May 10, 2020 at 1746 hours the Chaffee County Communications Center received a report of a missing female in the area on County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and contacted the reporting party. They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home."

Any sheriff, LE or FBI who goes off a 'feeling' with zero evidence....should be fired

Having said that I expect all LE to have their Hinky-o-meters set to 'extreme high likelihood'
& work back from that

JMO ;)

I sure hope some useful evidence was found instead of wasted highly valuable time and resources, based on speculation.

Given the posts about wasted time and firing officials, maybe it's time to reflect on the considerable experience of Sheriff Spezze at the head of the investigation. He no doubt knows the area and it's residents, and this investigation is certainly not his first rodeo. It's not often that you find a small-town official that can run such a tight-lipped operation. MOO

About Sheriff John Spezze - Chaffee County Sheriff

It's in the very first sheriff's press release about her being missing. Missing Person - Chaffee County Sheriff

"On May 10, 2020 at 1746 hours the Chaffee County Communications Center received a report of a missing female in the area on County Road 225 and West Highway 50.

Members of the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and contacted the reporting party. They advised that their neighbor, Suzanne Morphew, age 49, from the Maysville area had reportedly gone for a bike ride in the area and failed to return home."

Thank you, I have seen that. But how did the neighbor get that idea? I assumed they saw her leave, but later learned that’s untrue. Did the daughters tell the neighbor that?

"Short answer is, she's known to ride on Sunday."

That's why they always say to vary your routine.

Where is that sourced from if you don't mind me asking?

I don't have the link handy (it's been posted) but it was Chief Bertram that said that in the last couple of days.
That she was known to ride Sunday before church.
I believe it was the same article where he said it was SM's "downfall" that she was too nice, or words to that affect.

Or maybe no one would (at the time) question him for starting a fire because he’s a volunteer firefighter and knows how to contain a said fire. And/or perhaps no one thought it was out of the ordinary because he is a firefighter. MOO. Just speculating.
Also, Salida just had to deal with the Decker fire back in October, so local people are definitely taking the ban seriously. Now the out of state folk, you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juliehollz