Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting...”last seen in this helmet”. That sounds like an assumption on someone’s part, unless there’s evidence that she was actually seen in the helmet. MOO
Since we have seen no reliable report that she was actually seen on a bike ride, if not seen, then that would be a falsehood. Moo

I have no idea what to think of this. Care to expand on your thoughts?
The sinking feeling that I had when I read this, if true is based on opinion only. I would think if they had re-enacted a crime scene, found damning evidence, were tightening up a case etc. that this would be held. I don’t know that though, I just had a sinking feeling when I read it. I hope it is off base. What are your thoughts?
BREAKING: Colorado police release Suzanne Morphew’s home back to her family, sources say

The report cites Gregory Nieto’s reporting, and goes on to say this:

The CBI Public Information Officer assigned to handle media requests connected to the missing persons investigation told CrimeOnline that the release of the home had been “pending” and did not have immediate confirmation the residence had yet been turned back over to Suzanne’s family.

Chaffee County Fire Chief Robert Bertram said on Tuesday he had been told by a member of the community who had been bringing Barry Morphew food and supplies at a temporary location, believed to the home of a friend, that the house had been released back to the family. The fire chief was not sure if Barry Morphew had yet returned to the home. Bertram also said he does not know where Suzanne and Barry’s two daughters are staying at this time.

I feel a bit better it was from Bertram, *edited to remove two letters typed by overly zealous fingers*
I'll be curious to know what members of the "family" return to the home.

Also, who is this mysterious family friend?
Fire Chief Bertram is quoted as disclosing that in the article.

Clearly his production assistant and editor had not studied up on all the signs that someone is lying. I wouldn’t have thought of that... I’ve always heard/read that the persons eyes go one way for memory (up and left for truth) and one way for creation (up and right for lies) and I did notice BM very expertly kept his eyes focused on who was directly in front of him, so much so you could see the effort /concentration in the wrinkles on his forehead.
I thought the head shaking was “this can’t be happening” until someone on here pointed out that he did it when he said specific things like “We love you, I want you back so bad” I’ve definitely learned a new technique for judging if someone means what they are saying.

I don't think anyone was in front of him. I think he set the camera up, himself. The reason I think this, is that when there's a person behind the camera, there are typically micro-flickers (or larger flickers) of the eye up toward that person, to check their response. One way that people assess their verbal performances is by checking the micro-expressions/expressions of people nearby. He never wavered from staring right at that camera lens (presumably a phone - perhaps an iPad?) I am guessing he's recorded himself before, but I also think the clip looks as if it had the first part cut off - and perhaps the last part. I think this is a family where everyone probably shared video among themselves and knew how to do this. I have an app on my phone that lets me chop video files (but I've never used it, so far).

The part about people's eyes going to a particular place while they try to remember is highly variable. It's not a human universal, it's largely cultural/learned. There are many expressions that people use when they are thinking about things.

But I agree that his ability to keep his eyes completely focused on the camera is a well-studied device. This is unusual. Even when told to do that, most people will waver. I am cynical, today, about his furrowed brow. Yes, he was concentrating, but if he was using the forward facing camera on his phone, he was also able to observe his own face and let's face it, a furrowed brow (and the ability to make that many furrows) is something character actors know to use to denote "concern," "worry," etc.

I think the head shaking means several different things. Combined with the furrowed brow, it's kind of a "Please, don't" expression (Please don't hurt her, Please don't let this be happening, Please don't let time keep moving forward) but what's missing is any firm expression of what most would be feeling (determination, anger at the abductor, a fixed idea about doing everything to find one's wife, expressions of what one is actually doing to find her, etc). For example, "I promise you, Suzanne, that I will find you, no matter how long it takes." The expression that would accompany this would be very different - and if he were still shaking his head in denial while uttering it, that would be truly bizarre. The fact that many of us also read "Please don't believe anything I say" is not intended, but also not a coincidence. He's selling something that he's not saying.

He wants to make sure that he comes across as worried, somehow paralyzed by fear and worry, and therefore incapable of action. It's a good enough image to leave in the minds of LE and potential jurors, IMO. Best he could think of, anyway.

We know from other sources that he then apparently defies LE (who asked firefighters not to search for Suzanne) and goes and organizes a search.

Been following from afar but just want to point out that just because LE isn’t saying anything does not mean that it’s not all going off behind the scenes. We’ve seen it so many times before, more recently with Gannon- how long were we waiting for news of an arrest or any word from LE. Then all of a sudden TS is arrested, affidavit released that shows all the hard work they were doing quietly. As I said on that thread, there’s a reason they keep quiet. If the ‘suspect’ knows that LE is on to them, they become a flight risk, a suicide risk, even SM’s family could be at risk if the ‘suspect’ knew that the game is up. LE keep their cards close to their chest and I don’t doubt for one minute that they are getting their ducks in a row, so to speak. Every square inch of that home will be examined with a fine tooth comb. They will be using luminol and reviewing any neighbours cctv, speaking to neighbours, friends, family, work colleagues. Not to mention any electronic devices that may or may not be involved. Phone records/ internet searches/ GPS tracking can take time to gather. Plus LE may be working with fewer staff than usual due to covid they will likely be keeping close contact at a minimum.

Since we have no information, I’m back to-how do they live like they do? What’s the Colorado based landscaping company and how many employees are there? Sunset Farm Landscaping? Do they advertise locally? Is BM basically retired and runs a small crew now? No LinkedIn? How do they get local business? Word of mouth? If you list yourself as a volunteer firefighter only, is that because you don’t want to promote your business using that format?

Respectfully, per the same article with the pictures you described, dated 20th of May, BM was not allowed in their home when he returned from Denver.

“But DailyMail.com can now reveal that Morphew, 52, has not been allowed to enter the home he shared with Suzanne since he returned from his trip to Denver.”

The article article refers to “the property,” which I interpreted as the property where he was staying. Not their home.

Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

Thank you for this. Earlier posts by DMail suggested he was leaving the home after the police turned up to search. I'm relieved if he didn't have the opportunity to go home after the announcement that Suzanne was missing
How long had the girls been gone?
How long had the girls been gone?
Considering the source...
DM isn't always accurate when it comes to dates and facts, although their photos are top notch.
We don't know when BM returned from his trip and the photos could have been taken that day ?

I agree with you about the Daily Mail. It's not a newspaper I'd ever support personally. What it does seem to have is a penchant for scooping detailed stories that involve murder, abduction, and other high profile (e.g. celebrities), news with a tendency towards sensationalism. I recall there being a member of this w/s who commented that s/he had worked as a journalist for the DM.

There's a reason why they get hold of detailed information, and it's not because they are necessarily journalists extraordinaire. Some will push the boundary beyond that of common decency to get a scoop. I'm not equating them with something like "The Sun" UK newspaper, whose morals are in the gutter. The DM will stretch to get a scoop, and yes, the corollary is that the facts are sometimes misreported as a result of DM's rush to be first.
They are not a source I would automatically go to for reliable news. However, they are listed on this w/s as a credible source, which is why I referred to them.

Suzanne Morphew Missing | Colorado Cyclist Missing Since May 10

Just a few personal comments regarding the sport/hobby. I am a bike rider and have been for decades. It can be addicting. It offers the rider feelings of freedom and power. I've enjoyed many rides in groups and by myself. Which leads me to this:

• Did SM ride (her bicycle) alone?

If so, it isn't unusual for casual or even some ardent riders to bike solo, although, given what I've read in MSM, i,e,: "she's the kind of person that everybody loved" (Mystery deepens over missing mom Suzanne Morphew-- as cops search her house and neighbors say NO ONE actually saw her on a bike), I'd expect she may have had one or more buddy riders at one time or another or maybe was/is a member of a bicycling group. I've not found interviews of nor commentary from fellow riders. MSM might want to pursue that avenue.

• Did LE ever ask the Morphew daughters (or BM for that matter) to go through their mother's clothing at the house to determine what she might have been wearing the day she went missing?

All I've found regarding what SM was wearing that day is a poster that reads, "Last seen in this helmet." Knowing the clothing isn't truly a necessity but you never know when even the smallest strip of torn clothing that normally would go unnoticed might gain attention if it matched a description. I find it disturbing this information is missing from nearly all reporting.

• A Camelbak is a backpack hydration pack used by many cyclists. Cyclists use it in place of and it holds more fluid than typical water bottles. Going by what I've seen in the attached "missing" poster, this is likely the model Camelbak SM owns: Womens_LUXE_100_oz_Hydration_Pack | CamelBak

I wonder if that was the "personal item" LE discovered during early searches; that, and/or along with her helmet?

• Why did LE cordon off the house and restrict access, and disallow family from entering the dwelling?

I'd guess that was in response to the tip that also led them to search the property in Salida. If LE was informed BM had worked a landscape-related job in Salida, that might give LE cause to want to secure the Morphew house for potential tools or fluids evidence. No need to extrapolate on what this implies. Either way, LE at this time has not presented with any discoveries from three days of searching the Salida property.

Main elements at this stage include what did LE discover in the Morphew house, if anything. We do not know if anything was sent to a lab for testing. We do not know if LE discovered anything in any held-for-evidence phones or if held-for-evidence vehicles were searched/tested.

It feels as if LE and this case remain at a second wave of Square One.

Attachments

• _morphew_03_missing_poster_helmut.png
    _morphew_03_missing_poster_helmut.png
    572.4 KB · Views: 29
I am kind of new here, am I allowed to quote and site this source?
"The relative said they have never seen or heard about any specific issues in the Morphew’s marriage, and that the couple seemed happy. But they did indicate that Barry could be somewhat controlling.

“He’s been in charge of what happens for a long time,” they said."
‘We’re in the dark’: Missing Suzanne Morphew’s family waits and worries two weeks after Colorado mom’s mysterious disappearance [EXCLUSIVE]
That quote may turn out to be quite prophetic ...

BREAKING: Colorado police release Suzanne Morphew’s home back to her family, sources say

The report cites Gregory Nieto’s reporting, and goes on to say this:

The CBI Public Information Officer assigned to handle media requests connected to the missing persons investigation told CrimeOnline that the release of the home had been “pending” and did not have immediate confirmation the residence had yet been turned back over to Suzanne’s family.

Chaffee County Fire Chief Robert Bertram said on Tuesday he had been told by a member of the community who had been bringing Barry Morphew food and supplies at a temporary location, believed to the home of a friend, that the house had been released back to the family. The fire chief was not sure if Barry Morphew had yet returned to the home. Bertram also said he does not know where Suzanne and Barry’s two daughters are staying at this time.

Bertram's awfully eager to repeat what he hears, isn't he? o_O

Chief Bertram is quite the Chatty Cathy. He likes attention that's for sure.

Since we have no information, I’m back to-how do they live like they do? What’s the Colorado based landscaping company and how many employees are there? Sunset Farm Landscaping? Do they advertise locally? Is BM basically retired and runs a small crew now? No LinkedIn? How do they get local business? Word of mouth? If you list yourself as a volunteer firefighter only, is that because you don’t want to promote your business using that format?

I asked many of those same questions days ago and my post went *poof* ;)
Maybe it's okay to ask now. I'm not sure.
I never did get any answers, and honestly don't even know if he's licensed in CO as a landscaper.

Indeed, that was a mind blower. So if they don't know who he is, who is this guy and why did he make this *** for the family and searchers?

Chief Bertram is quite the Chatty Cathy. He likes attention that's for sure.
Get out of my head! I’ve been calling Bertram Chatty Cathy for days.

I don’t even think it should be considered reliable information that she would go riding before church on Sunday mornings. That’s what the Fire Chief “heard” and he doesn’t have any personal knowledge that it is true.

There’s so much “heard” info in this case and about 5 actual facts. It’s really frustrating. I believe the Sheriff and other agencies are doing a good job...just wish we knew more actual truth.

JMO
One thing I find a little interesting is there was a narrative being sent out by someone or maybe even multiple people because LE did not provide any details, and yet when you see the signs like this restaurant put up in Poncha Springs, Colorado, it says "she left for a bike ride....and did not return". So either someone really thought this is what occurred or was led to believe it had occurred.

https://twitter.com/places/07d9d541a8885001

Its not too hard to assume that may have happened if her bicycle was found away from her home so I do understand how someone could have assumed she had went on a bike ride. But what is harder to understand is we saw this sort of narrative being pushed along and now it has stopped.

Maybe after the recent search, maybe some people are having a change of heart of what they think happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haizljnes01