CO CO - Svetlana Ustimenko 55, from FL, rental car found Deadhorse Trailhead area off Grand County Rd 73 near Fraser, late Jul 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Unalienable Rights

Reaction score
1692010657589.png
Grand County CO Sheriff Facebook:

During the week of July 30, 2023, the Grand County Sheriff’s Office and a United States Forest Service Law Enforcement Officer observed a rental vehicle parked at the Deadhorse Trailhead area off of Grand County Road 73, near the Town of Fraser, in the Arapaho National Forest.

This vehicle appeared to be parked at this location for an extended period of time with no signs of recent activity. Through additional investigation by the Forest Service, it was determined that this vehicle was scheduled to be returned to the rental car company on August 10, 2023. After the August 10 return deadline had not been met, the vehicle was still located at the trailhead. Working with the rental car company and the woman’s family, officers were able to then determine that the vehicle was related to a missing endangered female in her mid-fifties out of Florida named Svetlana Ustimenko.

On the evening of August 11, officers began searching the area around where the rental car was located which led to subsequent searches on August 12 and 13. An extensive search was completed on August 13 with the assistance of Grand County Search and Rescue, along with Front Range Rescue Dogs, Search and Rescue Dogs of the United States-SARDUS, and Colorado Search and Rescue Association - CSAR. Despite the use of ground rescuers, multiple dog teams, and aerial assets (drones) over the past few days, we have been unsuccessful in locating Svetlana Ustimenko.

The Deadhorse Trailhead area is commonly used by hikers, mountain bikers and other recreational enthusiasts and our team is hoping to speak with anyone who may have seen Svetlana, talked to her, or possibly given her a ride to a different area. The search and investigation for this missing woman is ongoing. If you have seen Svetlana Ustimenko please call the non-emergency phone number for Dispatch at 970-725-3311.

She lives in Cooper City, FL. Her age was obtained from public records. Grand County, CO, sheriff's office says she is "missing and endangered" out of Florida, but LE in FL has apparently not issued a press release about her.

AUG 14, 2023
[...]

Deputies said the Deadhorse Trailhead area is commonly used by hikers, mountain bikers and others, and they're hoping to speak with anyone who may have seen Ustimenko, talked to her, or given her a ride to a different area.

Anyone with information on her whereabouts is asked to call non-emergency dispatch at 970-725-3311.

I wonder when the car rental began. LE noticed it at the trailhead during the week of July 30th and it appeared to have been there for some time with “no signs of recent activity”.
It seems she had left the vehicle at a minimum of a little over two weeks ago, likely more.
The trail is considered “moderate”. A review of the trail from several Alltrails users indicate it can be a little confusing as to where to begin. I wonder if she is an experienced hiker?

AUG 14, 2023
  • The car was located on July 30.
  • It appeared to have been there for an extended period of time with no signs of recent activity.
  • The car is a white 2022 Nissan Sentra with Louisiana license plates.
  • The car was scheduled to be returned to the rental company on Aug. 10.
  • After Aug. 10 passed, deputies went back to the trailhead and found the car parked in the same spot untouched.
  • On Aug. 11, officers began searching the area around where the rental car was located.
  • They continued their searches on Aug. 12-13.

Investigators determined the car was associated with Svetlana Ustimenko, a Florida woman in her mid-50s. Multiple agencies searched the area Friday, Saturday and Sunday but could not find Ustimenko, the sheriff's office said.

Deputies said the Deadhorse Trailhead area is commonly used by hikers, mountain bikers and others, and they're hoping to speak with anyone who may have seen Ustimenko, talked to her, or given her a ride to a different area.
Missing Svetlana Ustimenko

Grand County missing woman
Following an investigation, deputies discovered the car was scheduled to be returned to the rental company on Aug. 10

I wonder when the car rental began. LE noticed it at the trailhead during the week of July 30th and it appeared to have been there for some time with “no signs of recent activity”.
It seems she had left the vehicle at a minimum of a little over two weeks ago, likely more.
The trail is considered “moderate”. A review of the trail from several Alltrails users indicate it can be a little confusing as to where to begin. I wonder if she is an experienced hiker?
Thank you for posting the link. From the (bbm) link: This trail is great for birding, cross-country skiing, and hiking, and it's unlikely you'll encounter many other people while exploring. The best times to visit this trail are December through January.

Haven't check weather that day but am sure the day was hot?

Curious about a few things for now:

• Cellphone activity
  • Any known information of Svetlana's clothing and if she prepared for a day hike?
  • What's in the backpack?
  • How much did the backpack weigh?
  • Water supply/water filter
Moo

Thank you for posting the link. From the (bbm) link: This trail is great for birding, cross-country skiing, and hiking, and it's unlikely you'll encounter many other people while exploring. The best times to visit this trail are December through January.

Haven't check weather that day but am sure the day was hot?

Curious about a few things for now:

• Cellphone activity
  • Any known information of Svetlana's clothing and if she prepared for a day hike?
  • What's in the backpack?
  • How much did the backpack weigh?
  • Water supply/water filter
Moo
I have heard no information regarding cell phone activity. Also, I’m not sure if anyone knows what she was wearing or if she had a backpack, water, or any other food or gear with her. As far as I know, LE is not even sure when the rental car was left at the trailhead and if Svetlana is the person who left it there.
LE did say they were able to make contact with her family and were able to determine she is missing, but they have not released any further details as to what information her family provided.

Grand County Search & Rescue

August 14

An intensive area ground search by over 20 GCSAR volunteers in addition to six cadaver (HRD) canine teams from Front Range Rescue Dogs and Search and Rescue Dogs of the United States-SARDUS were unable to locate Svetlana Ustemenko in the vicinity of the Deadhorse trailhead.

The difficult off trail search was in areas of cross hatched down timber, beetle kill widow-makers, marsh, swamp and willow thickets.
The Grand County Sheriff's Office - Colorado is conducting further investigation of this missing person case.

AUG 14, 2023
“Despite the use of ground rescuers, multiple dog teams, and aerial assets (drones) over the past few days, we have been unsuccessful in locating Svetlana Ustimenko,” the news release from the sheriff’s office stated. “… our team is hoping to speak with anyone who may have seen Svetlana, talked to her, or possibly given her a ride to a different area.”

We have limited information so far in Svetlana's disappearance.

I have heard no information regarding cell phone activity. Also, I’m not sure if anyone knows what she was wearing or if she had a backpack, water, or any other food or gear with her. As far as I know, LE is not even sure when the rental car was left at the trailhead and if Svetlana is the person who left it there.

We do know a rental car in her name was found abandoned in the Deadhorse Trailhead area around the end of July, and that she is from Cooper city, FL. Several recent searches in that general area have turned up no signs of Svetlana. Beyond that we have very little to go on. I've not seen anything on MSM indicating she had a backpack, food, water, etc. If this was previously posted then I missed it. As mentioned by @OldCop, I've seen nothing so far regarding a cell phone or call history.

It's unclear whether Svetlana actually left the rental car in that location, or perhaps it was driven there by someone else.

Do we know if Svetlana had a purpose for being in this area? Was this some kind of vacation? Have her family and friends confirmed that she's a known hiker, or known to frequent wooded areas in general?

I'm also wondering if Svetlana knows someone living in this general area? Does anyone in her family know why she traveled from FL to CO in the first place?

I would expect local LE has interviewed the employees at the rental car office to see if Svetlana was alone when she rented the car, and what, if anything, she might have said she planned to do while visiting the area.

Also, if she flew from FL to CO, did she have a return flight scheduled?

Authorities search for missing Florida woman in Grand County near Deadhorse Trailhead

[...]
The news release stated that the car appeared to be parked at this location for an extended period with no signs of recent activity. The Forest Service conducted an additional investigation, learning that the car was supposed to be returned to the rental car company on Aug. 10. After this return deadline, the car remained at the trailhead. Officers worked with the rental car company and Ustimenko’s family to learn her identity. Officers designated her as missing and endangered.
[...]

Based on this MSM post, we do know that Svetlana has family members, presumably in FL. I have not seen any additional information from her family in MSM or from LE, so there's not much new information in her disappearance.

Hopefully her family will provide details on why Svetlana was in CO, whether she was alone, and whether she knows anyone in this general area.

IMO, it would also be helpful to know whether she was an avid outdoor enthusiast, hiker, etc.

In addition, LE hasn't released much information about the rental car. Was there anything in or near the car indicating Svetlana was planning a trip into the trail?

August 17, 2023 article - hmmm, imo, close in area, and only a few weeks apart, to another missing lady. I have added this information to Ms Whitsitt’s thread. Wonder if there is any sort of connection whatsoever? No indication of that yet according to this.

This is the link to Ms Whitsitt’s thread:

[…]

On the same day that Whitsitt was last seen, a press release came out regarding missing Svetlana Ustimenko, who hasn't been seen for multiple weeks after parking her rental vehicle at the Deadhorse Trailhead near the Grand County town of Fraser. Authorities noted that her vehicle showed up during the week of July 30 and wasn't moved in days to follow, past the vehicle's scheduled return date of August 10.

Fraser is located about 5 miles northwest of Winter Park. Authorities have not indicated that the two 'missing and endangered' cases may be related.

[…]

Last edited:
A google search returns a property in Yoder, CO, owned by someone of the same name and age. That same individual also has addresses consistent with her reported home in Florida. It’s approximately a 3-hour drive from there to Winter Park. My family lives there, and it attracts lots of visitors in both winter and summer given all the outdoor recreational activities in the area.

AUG 22

GRAND COUNTY, Colo. — The search for a missing and endangered woman last known to be in Grand County on Aug. 11 has been suspended.

The Grand County Sheriff’s Office said this came in the wake of a "tremendous amount of time and resources" trying to locate Svetlana Ustimenko, a woman in her mid-50s from Florida.

More at Search for missing, endangered woman in Grand County suspended

UG 22

GRAND COUNTY, Colo. — The search for a missing and endangered woman last known to be in Grand County on Aug. 11 has been suspended.

The Grand County Sheriff’s Office said this came in the wake of a "tremendous amount of time and resources" trying to locate Svetlana Ustimenko, a woman in her mid-50s from Florida.

More at Search for missing, endangered woman in Grand County suspended

From the article:

he search is now suspended, the sheriff's office announced Tuesday. They have been in contact with Ustimenko's family in Florida, as well as the local sheriff's office there. The family said she had been diagnosed with a terminal illness and as she struggled to cope, she was drawn to the Colorado mountains.

AUG 23, 2023
[...]

Authorities suspended the search until any new clues or information pops up, officials said. If authorities identify areas “of higher probability,” Grand County Search and Rescue might run “small scale” searches.

Officials said they want to hear from anyone who might have seen, talked to or given a ride to Ustimenko. They’re confident someone may have come across her since the Deadhorse Trailhead is a popular spot among hikers, mountain bikers and other outdoor enthusiasts.

Although they’ve called off the active search, authorities are still investigating, officials said. Anyone with information should call the non-emergency dispatch number at 970-725-3311.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toomanywomenmissinginbc
Back