CO CO - Tim Watkins, 61, shot to death, Mount Herman, 14 Sept 2017 #3

Sillybilly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Tim Watkins’ last ride: Unresolved murder of Palmer Lake mountain biking icon leaves community deeply unsettled

5b2039a64272d.image.jpg

On his last ride on the mountain he loved, Tim Watkins set off on an unseasonably warm September morning up the grinding, steady climb of well-traveled Mount Herman Road. From there, he had options.

He could grip his handlebars and take Stoopid Trail, the rocky and rollicking descent back into Monument. Or he could pedal on and drop into Limbaugh Canyon, where golden aspen and towering ponderosa sheltered meandering Monument Creek and a trail alongside it built for speed.

Not only had Watkins traversed this backcountry hundreds of times, he helped develop and maintain these very trails. He was the man, in fact, who'd drawn the area's best-known map.

And he cared for this terrain like a pastor for his parish - a devotion born of a horrific Forest Service accident he suffered years earlier that mangled both of his feet and ankles, leaving him barely able to walk, much less run or hike.

On two wheels, he found his spirituality and inner peace.

And on this particular ride, there is every reason to think his spirits were buoyed. After an extended period of seemingly intractable disagreement, he and his wife, Ginger Chase-Watkins, were freshly reconciled and had made plans to visit one of their favorite places, Crested Butte, where they hoped to start anew.

He set off on the ride Thursday.

Their wedding anniversary was the coming Monday.

Tim Watkins never came back.

[...]

Thread #1
Thread #2

Last edited:
Please continue discussion about Tim's case here.

I just don’t understand. No one is asking any questions. Even on social media, there is more buzz about DN being released than there is talk about who killed Tim. It’s like the whole town forgot.

Tim Watkins’ last ride: Unresolved murder of Palmer Lake mountain biking icon leaves community deeply unsettled

5b2039a64272d.image.jpg

On his last ride on the mountain he loved, Tim Watkins set off on an unseasonably warm September morning up the grinding, steady climb of well-traveled Mount Herman Road. From there, he had options.

He could grip his handlebars and take Stoopid Trail, the rocky and rollicking descent back into Monument. Or he could pedal on and drop into Limbaugh Canyon, where golden aspen and towering ponderosa sheltered meandering Monument Creek and a trail alongside it built for speed.

Not only had Watkins traversed this backcountry hundreds of times, he helped develop and maintain these very trails. He was the man, in fact, who'd drawn the area's best-known map.

And he cared for this terrain like a pastor for his parish - a devotion born of a horrific Forest Service accident he suffered years earlier that mangled both of his feet and ankles, leaving him barely able to walk, much less run or hike.

On two wheels, he found his spirituality and inner peace.

And on this particular ride, there is every reason to think his spirits were buoyed. After an extended period of seemingly intractable disagreement, he and his wife, Ginger Chase-Watkins, were freshly reconciled and had made plans to visit one of their favorite places, Crested Butte, where they hoped to start anew.

He set off on the ride Thursday.

Their wedding anniversary was the coming Monday.

Tim Watkins never came back.

[...]

Thread #1
Thread #2

Daey said:
**snipped for focus**
The governor signs off on warrants of extradition. So...no one in the governor’s office checked to see if DN was in custody? No ne read the local news? No one involved in DN’s case had any clue what was going on with DN? It was local breaking news?

Someone there should have "bookmarked" WS - they would have found out ver quick to find out where he was! LOL!

Haven't read anything about an ankle bracelet; in fact, haven't really seen any MSM saying he IS out....

I'm not sure if he was convicted of any sexual charges in Colorado. I know in Indiana he had to register.

It is a requirement that he registers with the jurisdiction where he lives or he is committing a crime. He was charged in Co with FTR but it was dropped in his plea deal.

IF he is out he must register weekly with probation and, if homeless, must also register weekly with LE due to his SO status so he should show up on that registry. If he is not homeless, it would be monthly check ins with LE.
MOO.

I checked the US Dept of Justice NSOPW national sex offender search and DN shows up 3 times. Anyone looking would think he was still in Johnson County Jail, Franklin IN. (St. Petersburg FL states out of state.)
(Martinsville IN states out of state.)
It is sad how broken the system is. MOO

I checked the US Dept of Justice NSOPW national sex offender search and DN shows up 3 times. Anyone looking would think he was still in Johnson County Jail, Franklin IN. (St. Petersburg FL states out of state.)

:(

I also looked under Teller County Co registry. It came up with 45 RSO's but then at the bottom said there were 498 that could not be listed because either they had no address or their address was not mappable. DN must be one of those 498 I guess.

Exactly. On Nextdoor, all of the neighbors are asking where DN might be because the local authorities don’t know or won’t say. Do we lock our doors? I don’t know. I’m not going on any solo walks, I know that much. That seems to be the going sentiment...LE is incompetent, and where is DN?! But still no talk of who killed Tim.

I wonder if Tim's family is quietly tugging at LE to try harder to find Tim's killer? If I were his daughter I would be constantly encouraging LE to get the problem of "who done it" solved. Are there any talented PI's in CO who are up to this challenge? I wish I had the answer.

I wonder if Tim's family is quietly tugging at LE to try harder to find Tim's killer? If I were his daughter I would be constantly encouraging LE to get the problem of "who done it" solved. Are there any talented PI's in CO who are up to this challenge? I wish I had the answer.

Some of the family have said maybe Tim killed hjmself, but the rumor is that he was shot three times in the head and had slash wounds all over his arms and face. So that makes no sense.

Maybe his daughter could contact retired detective Joe Kenda who volunteers with the American Investigative Society of Cold Cases.
His address is 273 Sweatt Rd. Suffolk VA 23438

Or his wife.

I just don’t understand it. Even at his bike memorial last month, which was posted here, no one mentioned his death being unsolved. Not the mayor, LE, his wife...no one.

Not a word on Facebook or Nextdoor.

My father spent 7 years musing over the suicide of his best friend. He couldn't wrap his brain around what happened. My dad passed naturally...no longer tormented by the unanswered question...."Why?"

was there some reason his family thinks he might commit suicide and bury himself in a shallow grave leaving his shoe strewn on the road and his bike strewn illy nilly as though he fled?

how could someone shoot themselves in the head 3 times?

was there some reason his family thinks he might commit suicide and bury himself in a shallow grave leaving his shoe strewn on the road and his bike strewn illy nilly as though he fled?

how could someone shoot themselves in the head 3 times?

Exactly. This suicide rumor was early on...before the homicide ruling IIRC.

Either way, why is NO ONE talking about how he was murdered?

And now, no one has any idea if DN is walking the trails where he tormented people in the fall. I don’t understand this.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohthatmakessense
Back