CO - Tourist mine accident leaves 1 person dead, 12 people remain trapped, 10 Oct, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

BayouBelle_LA

Reaction score

One person has died, 11 people have been rescued and 12 people remain trapped at the Mollie Kathleen Gold Mine, a tourist mine in Cripple Creek, Colorado, Teller County Sheriff Jason Mikesell said Thursday during a news conference.
(…)
At around noon Thursday, the mine experienced a mechanical issue with its elevator system, causing “a severe issue for riders on-board,” Mikesell said. The cause of the accident remains under investigation.

The 12 people trapped at the bottom of the 1,000-foot-deep mine are safe, Mikesell said. As they face cold temperatures around 50 degrees, they have water, blankets, chairs and a radio. Facilities like restrooms however aren’t available underground, according to the tour website. One of the trapped riders is an employee of the mine and a former mine-rescue professional, according to Mikesell.

In the event the elevator cannot be safely repaired, firefighters were preparing for a rescue operation, but using the elevator would be much safer, Mikesell said.

"If we have to, we can bring people up on those ropes, but it also subjects those first responders now to the threat and endangerment of doing so," Mikesell said. "Sitting in a harness from 1,000 feet down coming up is not easy."

Engineers from the state, mine safety experts and the Colorado Springs Fire Department were on hand.

"My crews are specially trained to respond to incidents like this when called upon," Colorado Springs Fire Chief Randy Royal said in a statement, expressing confidence they could mount a rescue operation if needed.

Mikesell says crews are trying to keep those still trapped calm. One person stuck at the bottom of the elevator shaft is from the tour company and is also a former mine rescue personnel. According to Mikesell, no one in the remaining trapped group knows that anyone is dead or injured

“They really don't have an idea that we have more of an issue up top than what they're being told is the elevator,” he said. “And really that's because I want to keep people calm because I can't get them out until I can get something down there.”

The state also sent personnel and resources to help including a field manager from the Division of Homeland Security and a mine rescue team from the Department of Natural Resources. The State Emergency Operations Center was also activated.

“I have spoken to the Teller County Sheriff and County Commissioners and will stay in touch through the course of this rescue effort,” said Governor Jared Polis in a statement. “We will do everything possible and assist the county to ensure a speedy and safe resolution of the situation.”

"The atmospherics are good inside the tunnel" -- I don't know how this works but I'm relieved to hear this.

They're safe on solid ground, not suspended in the elevator.

I am confident in all those first responders that they'll get everyone trapped out safely.

Sad for the person who lost their life.... seems the people trapped don't know about the loss of life.

The rescue operation has been completed.

UPDATE: The elevator at the Mollie Kathleen Gold Mine is functioning again and rescuers have safely brought up the 12 people who were trapped 1,000 feet down in the mine, according to the Teller County Sheriff's Office.

I've been down in that mine. The elevator was the scariest part of the tour. Not that it seemed dangerous, but tiny and claustrophobic. It was a fascinating tour and we learned a lot, so I was very sad to see this story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back