Comedian and Dame Edna star Barry Humphries dies aged 89

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
803C22E4-D1E5-4023-BA4A-AA032DEFCA56.jpeg

Barry Humphries receiving his CBE from the Late Her Majesty, The Queen. 10/10/2007 Photo credit BBC News BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Edna star Humphries collects CBE

1934 - 2022

May Barry Humphries Rest In Peace and Sincere Condolences to his loved ones and friends. I’m so sorry Mr Humphries has passed away. Thank you to him for all the laughter he gave so many people over the years.

AD6EB9A3-C31C-4B1B-B998-A9825E6084BE.jpeg

Photo credit Perth Now Australia. Beloved entertainer Barry Humphries dead at 89

Dame Edna was a hilarious comedy character. I always watched any tv specials with Edna growing up and as an adult. One of my fond memories when I was young is when my Mum’s friend and her dressed up as Dame Edna and her silent sidekick Madge for a fancy dress competition at Halloween. We had just got new neighbours and they knocked on the door to introduce themselves and apologise to us for the removal van blocking the road whilst their furniture was taken out. My Mum was mortified when she answered the door and the first time they had met her she was dressed as Madge (a character who was in her 80s) with a grey haired wig and costume. My Mum was only in her early 30s at the time and our neighbours didn’t realise she was in costume when they spoke to her. I remember laughing hysterically at the time.

5129D419-9AFE-44DC-AFFA-15F2B08C7BAC.jpeg

Photo credit The Telegraph.

One of my favourite photos of the late Princess Diana is when she was laughing with Dame Edna at the Golden Jubilee Concert in 1987. In another photo from when they met at this event Princess Diana is covering her mouth because she is laughing so much.

The family of Barry Humphries could be offered a state funeral in his home state of Victoria, as tributes continue to trickle in for the Australian entertainer.

The Victorian government is talking to Humphries' family about the best ways to honour the comedy legend's legacy.

A range of options are being discussed, including a state funeral.

"The primary mover of these things is the family because it's their gift effectively to decide in conversation with government," Creative Industries Minister Steve Dimopoulos told reporters on Sunday.

"So, yes, it could be that (a state funeral). It could be many other things to honour his legacy."

There was always something so warm and effortlessly witty about Dame Edna. I have fond memories of her on comedy shows when I was growing up. Sleep well, Barry, you spread joy to many.

Barry Humphries has been laid to rest in a private funeral less than a week after he passed away aged 89.

The beloved Australian actor and comic, who was best known for his drag persona Dame Edna Everage, died on April 22 following complications from hip replacement surgery.

The service took place at the Bowral estate of longtime friend and artist Tim Storrier on Friday in New South Wales‘ Southern Highlands, with family and close friends given just 24 hours notice.
Among mourners were Humphries’ two sons, Oscar and Rupert, who flew in from London, as well as his daughters Emily and Tessa, brother Christopher and sister Barbara.

Another attendee was film director Bruce Beresford, who described it as “a small affair, just family and close friends.”

Live Coverage. 10.30am or 11am. It says both times.

A state memorial service for world-renowned entertainer, author, actor and satirist Barry Humphries AC CBE. Live coverage from the Sydney Opera House on Friday, December 15 at 11am.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cattdee
Back