Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen-#4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobody wants to say it, but President Obama pronounced the name of the town as "Newton." A couple of us looked at each other and said, "...of all times you would think to get the name of a community right and...

No one needs to say it - it's a simple mistake - one I made myself as did other posters on here. Not because we didn't know the name or respect the people of the town, but because it came out of the mouth that way on accident. Surely this isn't the time for the pettiest of judgments against those who came to grieve, mourn and help.

TONIGHT WE WILL DISCUSS THE LATEST IN THE TRAGEDY IN CONNECTICUT,

DEEDEE MOORE'S CONVICTION, AND, A BIG ANNOUCEMENT FROM SHERYL MCCOLLUM FROM THE COLD CASE RESEARCH INSTITUTE.

LISTEN TO TRICIA'S TRUE CRIME RADIO TONIGHT 8 PM EASTERN BY CLICKING THIS LINK.
THANK YOU

TRICIA

The bullets used in the massacre were designed specifically to penetrate deep tissue and do a "devastating" amount of damage. Weapons experts believe the killer used "frangible ammunition", which fragments on impact, inflicting wounds that are usually beyond medical help.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...am-Lanza-rigged-rifle-for-maximum-damage.html

A new thing I took away from that article was that 1) AL had arrived with the ammunition and likely the intent to kill everyone in the school, and 2) the first responders' quick arrival (precipitated by those inside who called 911 so quickly) may have saved hundreds of lives.

The bullets used in the massacre were designed specifically to penetrate deep tissue and do a "devastating" amount of damage. Weapons experts believe the killer used "frangible ammunition", which fragments on impact, inflicting wounds that are usually beyond medical help.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...am-Lanza-rigged-rifle-for-maximum-damage.html

What would be the purpose of that kind of ammo for a gun collector? Seems to be pretty specific. Does that mean the shooter managed to buy that particular ammo maybe with the brother's ID?

LOL well first the poster claimed that he did this as President...........shut them all down ...........as in the whole United States.

Then all of the sudden ..........no.............wrong decade. As Gov. of California. Wow..........how did that spread to the whole country???

I can't link that jump.........google it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanterman-Petris-Short_Act

Notice the bipartisan agreement?

Now google ACLU and patient rights.

California is a liberal state. After Reagan did all of this ask yourself why those institutions didn't get refunded???

I'll tell you why. Because it was decided that mentally ill people have rights too.

Pretending that this was some conservative boogeyman is disingenuous IMO.

Then came Ronald Reagan. Within a month, the Office of Management Budget announced it would curtail the budget of the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), phase out training of clinicians, interrupt research, and eliminate services. Cutbacks to staff followed; chaos ensued. Experienced people left, others remained in government service but were forced into menial jobs. Trained professionals were reassigned to labs to dissect dead rats; science writers were reassigned to typing pools. The Mental Health Systems Act would be disappear. Instead, the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (1982) would merge money for mental health programs into block grants, and with fewer dollars going to the states. They had the discretion to use them however they saw fit, often to perpetuate programs already deemed problematic. The pretense for all this was the president's concept of a "new federalism."

http://www.miwatch.org/2011/02/_ronald_reagan_and_mental.html

What would be the purpose of that kind of ammo for a gun collector? Seems to be pretty specific. Does that mean the shooter managed to buy that particular ammo maybe with the brother's ID?

Several newspapers have called the family "Doomsday Preppers" meaning they store food and guns, ammo, etc. for what they believe is going to be a financial meltdown. That might possibly explain the access to so much ammunition.
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2012/12/wow_waiting_for_the_apocalypse.php

... "For a half hour every day I work in the lunch room with those first graders and I know 15 of them very well. I tell them to sit on their bottoms, and I give them forks and I hear about their loose teeth and I hear about their play dates," a teary-eyed [LM, an educational assistant] said. "I'm very, very sad for their parents. They were all wonderful kids. They didn't deserve this." ...

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...Lanza-Newtown-School-Shooting--183684781.html

Why not put away the political issues and focus on the victims and the tragedy. IMO it's tasteless in the extreme to be criticizing a simple error of speech in those helping, mourning and grieving with the families of the victims mere days after a mass murder. Children have been murdered and people are doing what they can to hold the town together.

You're right, but other "issues" are being discussed as well. I didn't mean it to be tasteless - it's just a fact from this story, as awful and incomprehensible as it is.

I honestly don't know. I have never owned a bushmaster and can say I've never felt a need to own the type of ammo described in the UK telgraph article.

I am choosing not to speculate about the method this killer used in obtaining such ammo if this info is correct. I simply do not have enough info to comment or speculate.

No. In my opinion, if you're the President of the United States and you're going on national TV to offer a statement about a tragedy in a community - you get the name of the town right. If George W. Bush had done that people would have been saying how he didn't even care enough to get the name of the town right and kept wiping away invisible tears. But President Obama is always given a pass on things like this. Not that he wasn't sincere, but I think you get that stuff right.

I am having a harder time today as I see all of these pictures being released. It's just so.....incomprehensible. To see these faces is just heartbreaking.

I agree this is incomprehensible, I choose not to look at the pictures of these children, I just cant. I really feel for you as this just sucks!

But this is not political by any means I would not hold it against GWB or anyone if he/she mispoke the towns name. It just doesnt matter in the grand scheme of things IMO please no disrespect.

THe handcuffed guy at the school would have been the guy they found in the woods that morning. I have seen no verifiaction of who he was. It was originally speculated that it was someone from a nearby home that heard the shooting and rushed toward it, or someone that just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and had no idea what was going on.

Actually .... that reminds me. Please correct me... but in the audio recording of the scanner talk between the first responders, wasn't there a point when one of the LEOs thought he saw the shooter coming towards him? I had a hard time listening to the audio and can't bear to review it, so I don't know if the LEO was in the school or just arriving outside the school at that time. Again - this could be totally wrong, it's not a fact - just my shaky memory of the recording.

I can find no link to info regading if AL's computers had been destroyed.

ETA no publishable link

I'm not sure if the UK Telegraph is a reputable source but this is from them:

FBI electronics experts are poring over the broken hard drive trying to determine what is likely to be crucial evidence about how he planned his killing spree, with whom he exchanged messages and what websites he visited.

I'm not including a link just in case the UK Telegraph is not a "publishable" link. If they are, let me know and I'll post the link.

I honestly don't know. I have never owned a bushmaster and can say I've never felt a need to own the type of ammo described in the UK telgraph article.

I am choosing not to speculate about the method this killer used in obtaining such ammo if this info is correct. I simply do not have enough info to comment or speculate.

I think my earlier post probably explains the ammo. They family was apparently "doomsday preppers" who stockpile food, gun and ammo.

Here is the link again that discusses some of this:
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/2012/12/wow_waiting_for_the_apocalypse.php

There's more than just that. I believe that it is becoming known that - at the least - the mother took the kids to the gun range "frequently" according to the sister and was a "gun enthusiast"...to me, that would mean there's probably more ammo in that house than the usual gun owners.

Please do not ask for a link, I do not have one because it was stated during a presser by Lt Vance. Someone specifically asked about a second person put into hand cuffs at the school possibly in camo pants and the LT said it was not true. It was false reporting period.

Not a direct quote.

I'm not sure if the UK Telegraph is a reputable source but this is from them:

FBI electronics experts are poring over the broken hard drive trying to determine what is likely to be crucial evidence about how he planned his killing spree, with whom he exchanged messages and what websites he visited.

I'm not including a link just in case the UK Telegraph is not a "publishable" link. If they are, let me know and I'll post the link.
The Daily Telegraph is in fact a conservative English broadsheet and a very reputable source.

You're right, but other "issues" are being discussed as well. I didn't mean it to be tasteless - it's just a fact from this story, as awful and incomprehensible as it is.

I Think ami is concerned that if this thread derails into a political discussion it will be closed.

Our entire political pavilion was shut down because things got too personal.

Best if we all focus on the tragedy and avoid the politics of it.

MOO

Please do not ask for a link, I do not have one because it was stated during a presser by Lt Vance. Someone specifically asked about a second person put into hand cuffs at the school possibly in camo pants and the LT said it was not true. It was false reporting period.

Not a direct quote.
I remember that. But I do not think it was falsely reported.

I Think ami is concerned that if this thread derails into a political discussion it will be closed.

Our entire political pavilion was shut down because things got too personal.

Best if we all focus on the tragedy and avoid the politics of it.

MOO

Understood. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members