Connecticut school district on lockdown after shooting report at a Newtown elemen #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit uncomfortable with this convo just based on reports that Ms. Soto's door aparently wasn't locked either and she was a regular teacher. I'm thinking things just happened way to fast that even if she had a key (which she most def should have)she like Ms. Soto wouldn't have had time to lock. No disrespect just a differing opinion on this one issue.

It will be nice once we can learn what the school surveillance cameras show of the shooters path of destruction. Not the actual footage of course....maybe a reenactment of his path though.

I am a part-time employee and volunteer at my child's elementary school, and all the kids know of me. Since this happened I cannot resist high fiving, side fiving or hugging each kid that I pass in the morning. This has never been an uncommon thing for me before, but now I make an effort that no child I pass is left out.:seeya:

I haven't been in a school in 15yrs. Are bathroom doors locked with a key from the inside now for safety/lockdowns like a panic room? Or are they standard push button or twisty lock thingy?

I haven't been in a school in 15yrs. Are bathroom doors locked with a key from the inside now for safety/lockdowns like a panic room? Or are they standard push button or twisty lock thingy?

Ours are all push button but a key logs from outside.

Security in our schools is a very tricky topic.

While we have all been discussing locked doors, safe places, covering windows - that is if the threat is within the walls of the school.

For about 7 years the school I was in was right next door to the middle school. It was basically all one big piece of property.

Every semester at the end - when the middle school was taking finals - there would be bomb threats almost on a regular basis. And we would evacuate also.

Me and another good friend of mine (teacher) got very leery after 1998. 1998 Jonesboro, Arkansas - two boys had a 3rd boy pull the fire alarm while they waited on a nearby hill with grandpa's stolen guns. They killed 5. IIRC it came out that it was all over a little girl - can't remember if they killed her or not - I do remember that a teacher was hit and killed. So, every time we had a bomb threat or someone pulled a fire alarm - we were watching all around us while we stood in that big ole open parking lot.

There is a lot to think about when talking about school security and every situation and scenerio needs to be looked at.

My oldest was in High school when Columbine happened thankfully they were already on spring break or I probably would have gone and got her that day.. Littleton is where I grew up, by the time she went back to school she was pretty well versed in what happened that day...

During that first week back to school there was a bomb threat (2 actually) and she came home and told me how they have them all go down the hill and wait on the football/baseball field and she stood there thinking what sitting ducks they were..

Many safety issues that seem pretty obvious after the fact go un-noticed and the best of plans end up having hidden problems..

I don't know...the discussion on that thread seems genuine. I had wondered how the more desensitized youth would react to this. I guess now I know.

The youth find it heartbreaking but don't get why it is a bigger deal than all the kids starving to death every single day... They kind of have a point I guess.

This varies! The elementary school in NV was new/modern with all the safety bells and whistles. This CA elementary school is an older one built in the
1950s.

The NV school had a bathroom in each classroom. Plus, main bathrooms off hallways. The older CA school has a separate building for bathrooms with doors that lock from the outside.

I wouldn't assume about the background checks either. Not That many years ago our superintendent of schools was fired after the local news broke a story that he was a registered sex offender. The man trusted with hiring teachers and investigating complaints against teachers had once been a 25 year old with a 14 year old girlfriend. Background checks were supposedly already mandatory.

Here's another little tid-bit that you all should really - factually - find out about your individual districts.

Our school district here does not pre-employment drug test teachers. Yep. You read that right. Everyone else here is. Cafeteria workers, custodians, clerical staff in the office, etc. But teachers, substitutes and principals are not.

I know - it truly is unbelievable. I've told people and they call me a liar - I tell them to go make some phone calls and they usually get back to me with a "sorry".

Its a teacher's union thing - I don't get it - never have - never will. As a parent it bugged the hello outta me that my child was safer with the cafeteria lady than she was with her teacher in the classroom all day.

I have looked at schools all around the country - some do - some don't. There are quite a few districts now in Florida that do. But there are still a lot that don't. And that's everywhere.

I'm talking about drug tests - not background checks. Background checks are pretty mandatory all over the country. But - FGS you can't get a job at McDonald's nowadays without taking a drug test - yet here, in sunny South FloriDUH your kids teacher isn't required to do that.

Make any sense?

So, in your discussions with principals and districts - that's a question I would be asking and making sure I understood it as a "yes they are" or "no they aren't" answer.

Connecticut shooting: Oregon cartoonist gets pulled into the story

By Kimberly A.C. Wilson, The Oregonian
on December 17, 2012 at 7:48 PM, updated December 18, 2012 at 8:56 PM

First came news of the horrific shooting at a Connecticut grade school. Then came the rising death toll, first 17, then 18, then 27 killed.

Three time zones to the west, Matt Bors was asleep in his Southeast Portland home.

When he awakened mid-morning on Friday, news of the slayings that began at 9:40 a.m. Eastern Time were spreading around the world via tweets and posts on Facebook.

Bors, a 29-year-old syndicated freelance cartoonist who was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize in editorial cartoons in 2012, went online to learn more about what had happened. Messages began pouring in pointing out that he was Facebook friends with the man named as the killer.

Turns out Bors was Facebook friends with Ryan Lanza -- whom he'd never met or corresponded with -- a New Jersey accountant who was, as it would turn out, the older brother of the actual gunman, Adam Lanza.

Read more: http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2012/12/connecticut_shooting_oregon_ca.html

Related articles:

http://www.mattbors.com/blog/2012/1...iends-with-ryan-lanza-which-became-a-problem/

http://www.salon.com/2012/12/17/i_am_facebook_friends_with_ryan_lanza/

My oldest was in High school when Columbine happened thankfully they were already on spring break or I probably would have gone and got her that day.. Littleton is where I grew up, by the time she went back to school she was pretty well versed in what happened that day...

During that first week back to school there was a bomb threat (2 actually) and she came home and told me how they have them all go down the hill and wait on the football/baseball field and she stood there thinking what sitting ducks they were..

Many safety issues that seem pretty obvious after the fact go un-noticed and the best of plans end up having hidden problems..

This was part of the new safety coordinator's concern....the new guidelines were indicating that in the event of a bomb threat or shooter the children and teachers were to get as far as possible away from the building/campus. This is not being done.

I wouldn't assume about the background checks either. Not That many years ago our superintendent of schools was fired after the local news broke a story that he was a registered sex offender. The man trusted with hiring teachers and investigating complaints against teachers had once been a 25 year old with a 14 year old girlfriend. Background checks were supposedly already mandatory.

northern California: NO drug test for support staff, however full FBI clearance.

Darkman00 said:
Classmate remembers Adam Lanza attending Sandy Hook

4:45 PM, Dec 18, 2012

NEWTOWN, Conn. -- The gunman in the mass murder at an elementary school here last week apparently attended the school in 2002.

Despite denials from relatives who said Adam Lanza never attended Sandy Hook Elementary School, Lanza apparently attended the school in fifth grade in fall 2002.

The signatures of Lanza and his fifth-grade classmates are on a Sandy Hook Elementary T-shirt made by the school and given to each student. Lanza and other fifth graders attended the school in fall 2002 before moving in January 2003 to a newly built Reed Intermediate School for fifth- and sixth-graders.

The Sandy Hook School T-shirt says "2003," but Lanza and his classmates actually left Sandy Hook at the end of 2002.

Lanza was home-schooled for some of his early years.

Fifth-grade classmate Dan Lynch, now a junior at the University of Connecticut, remembers Lanza at Sandy Hook school.

"I was in class with him in fifth grade, and he was extremely introverted," Lynch says. "He was really skittish, always anxious and nervous."

Lynch says he remembers watching a sex-education movie, and Lanza saying he was about to throw up and needed to leave the room.

----------

Read more: http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...ate-remembers-Adam-Lanza-attending-Sandy-Hook
shirt_3_4_r560.jpg

The Sandy Hook School T-shirt says "2003," but Lanza and his classmates actually left Sandy Hook at the end of 2002. (Photo: USA TODAY)

img_20121218_00227_4_3_r560.jpg

Adam Lanza's signature on Sandy Hook Elementary T-shirt. (Photo: USA TODAY)

Read more: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2012/12/18/adam-lanza-sandy-hook-student/1777525/

Mass school bombing in 1927 puts Sandy Hook in context

By Scott Bomboy| National Constitution Center – 6 hrs ago.. .

The Sandy Hook tragedy in Connecticut has horrified Americans and in some cases, opened up wounds from a similar disaster in 1927 that have yet to heal.

On May 18, 1927, a part-time caretaker at a school in Bath, Michigan, killed 45 people, including 38 children, when he blew up a school and then killed himself, along with two first responders at the scene. Another 58 people were wounded.

The 38 children were in grades three through six.

The Bath School Bombing faded quickly from history. What media there was in 1927 left the town after about a week, since aviator Charles Lindbergh had started on his flight to Europe.

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/mass-school-bombing-1927-puts-sandy-hook-context-185608674.html

Gun shop where mass killer Adam Lanza tried to buy weapon withdraws rifles after selling bullets for 5 cents

Daily Mail
December 19, 20128:02AM

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wor...lets-for-5-cents/story-fnd14032-1226540239947

so, have we yet to have confirmation that he actually did go and attempt to purchase a rifle, or "inquire about purchasing a rifle" as is stated in the above article.. I'm so hesitant to believe much that comes from these reports that have no source as to where the actual information originated..

so, have we yet to have confirmation that he actually did go and attempt to purchase a rifle, or "inquire about purchasing a rifle" as is stated in the above article.. I'm so hesitant to believe much that comes from these reports that have no source as to where the actual information originated..

Apparently members of the public told the police. Guessing someone at the gun store remembered a customer but no camera footage was found.

Officials also told NBC News that Lanza unsuccessfully tried to buy a rifle at a Dick’s Sporting Goods store in Danbury three days before the slaughter, but later said they could not confirm the report, which was based on information from members of the public.
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...an-forced-his-way-into-school-police-say?lite

On Twitter:

Emily Rueb‏@Rueby

Adam Lanza's computer sent to an FBI lab in Quantico, Va. http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/20...er-hard-drive-in-lanza-home-sent-to-f-b-i-lab

The damaged hard drive that authorities took from the home where Adam Lanza and his mother lived, and where he fatally shot her, has been sent to the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s computer lab in Quantico, Va., for further analysis, according to a senior law enforcement official.

Investigators have been unable to get any information off the hard drive, which they believe Mr. Lanza, who had taken computer classes at a local college, smashed in an effort to prevent the authorities from determining what he had done on the computer.

Read more at above link...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member