Contacting Case Players

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Rule rules!

I would not dream of contacting anyone associated with an active investigation unless it was a tipline...certainly not individuals.

I believe someone mentioned wanting to call RC's employer re his hours worked. No ethical employer would give out any kind of information about their employees to anyone except an entity with the legal authority to inquire.

Good point.

Christine, what an interesting convo you two must have had! I want to talk to FBI Agent Savage.

I don't usually post in Haleigh's forum but I do read. You know who I'd love to have a drink or three with? Steve Thomas (JonBenet Ramsey case).

Whoa...who does something like that? Thats a little too presumptious IMO.

Jaimie, you are correct!!!

I don't think I made myself totally clear.

I wish to God NO ONE would contact the case players and invite them to join.

However, I can't control what you all do. I can tell you that there is zero backing from Websleuths for this type of thing.

Please, on behalf of people who find themselves in a mess by no making of their own, please leave them alone.

That is my advice.

Actually, I would feel very uncomfortable if a family member were here. Inevitably, there will be something posted that may be offensive to them, whether it be truth or just speculation.

It would not be me that has, or ever would suggest family members read here. I am also not comfortable with witnesses posting.

This is a great forum and I appreciate it very much.

While it might be tempting to contact the players in these cases, and that includes LE, it is not a good idea.... unless you live in that area and actually know something that could help the case. We all know that in every case, LE receives thousands of tips, and most of them turn out to be nothing.
LE has access to databases that we do not, and can find information on things we don't even dream about. I think it is a good idea to let them do their jobs, and stay out of their way. Everything someone here has thought of, you can bet that they have already thought of it, checked up on it, and filed it away in their case file. They are trained to do this, and they do it a lot better than we could.
As for contacting the family members, that is up to the individual, but I would not do it. For one thing, they have enough to worry about, they don't need total strangers asking them the same things that LE has already asked, over and over. Just because something has not been answered on NG, doesn't mean it wasn't covered in the investigation. They DO need support, though, and they need to know that all of us are thinking of them and praying for the safe return of their little girl. IF I was tempted to contact them, it would only be for that purpose.... not to try to solve the case.

As a member of WS, I've never contacted any of the players. I have a group of friends in a private chat room and we have contacted some in that group and let me tell you, it ended up being a mistake. GSJ is one example! The only one any of us called that we didn't regret was Lenny. He's very personable :)

However, representing our Websleuths community is wrong, IMO. The only way I would to that is at the request of Tricia or a Mod.

:blowkiss:

BTW, we didn't contact family or friends, just "fringe players". LOL Didn't want y'all to think I worked for "At Large" or anything.

Anyone who is that involved in other people's business scares me.
I totally agree, Internet detective/hobby is one thing but to actually call someone at home, their employer, physician etc. is entirely another thing.

That's so true. I actually had an email convo with Anne Rule about this a couple of years back. My adult daughter and I are fascinated with Ted Bundy's case and there's been an Urban Legend that his family owned property near me. The rumor is that he disposed of some of his victim's there. I wrote to Anne asking her about the rumor and told her I was thinking about checking it out for the heck of it, did she know where this place was. She wrote back that the rumor wasn't true, with a list of reasons not to go to a crime scene even though the crimes had been commited decades before and Bundy was dead. Her emails scared me and left me feeling like...:eek:

Anne is a cool lady and we emailed back and forth that day. She's happy to answer questions anyone has.

that is so cool, SuziQ! I, too, contacted Anne Rule by email a few years ago, but it wasn't anything to do with a case or anything. I wish! But she did answer me back and was very nice. I was thrilled to death that she not only took the time to answer, but it was a very personal, heartfelt email, not something that she just threw together in a few seconds.

that is so cool, SuziQ! I, too, contacted Anne Rule by email a few years ago, but it wasn't anything to do with a case or anything. I wish! But she did answer me back and was very nice. I was thrilled to death that she not only took the time to answer, but it was a very personal, heartfelt email, not something that she just threw together in a few seconds.

I never fail to be amazed at how kind most people are, even VIPs, especially VIPs.

But to stay on topic here, please, for heaven's sake, do not contact the family of Haleigh. There is a tip line if you have valid info. The person I spoke to was very professional and interested, asking just the right questions to help me get my "tip" out. I was scared witless to call, a nervous wreck actually, but she was terrific.

[btw - no, I don't know if my tip was worth the ether it was written on.]

That's so true. I actually had an email convo with Anne Rule about this a couple of years back. My adult daughter and I are fascinated with Ted Bundy's case and there's been an Urban Legend that his family owned property near me. The rumor is that he disposed of some of his victim's there. I wrote to Anne asking her about the rumor and told her I was thinking about checking it out for the heck of it, did she know where this place was. She wrote back that the rumor wasn't true, with a list of reasons not to go to a crime scene even though the crimes had been commited decades before and Bundy was dead. Her emails scared me and left me feeling like...:eek:

Anne is a cool lady and we emailed back and forth that day. She's happy to answer questions anyone has.

My bold-is there a chance you could paraphrase the email or reproduce it in the Jury room, SuzyQ? I think it would be very, very helpful for those who take it too far...:blowkiss:

As a member of WS, I've never contacted any of the players. I have a group of friends in a private chat room and we have contacted some in that group and let me tell you, it ended up being a mistake. GSJ is one example! The only one any of us called that we didn't regret was Lenny. He's very personable :)

However, representing our Websleuths community is wrong, IMO. The only way I would to that is at the request of Tricia or a Mod.

:blowkiss:

O/T my bold-that made me laugh Kimster. I have had some peripheral dealings with her and I so get why this might be....:blowkiss:

My bold-is there a chance you could paraphrase the email or reproduce it in the Jury room, SuzyQ? I think it would be very, very helpful for those who take it too far...:blowkiss:

I wish I would have saved the email. I never save anything! Anyways, It was basically how scary crime scenes were and they do a number on your psyche. How scary people are attracted to crime scenes and hang out at them. Crimes have been commited against looky loos by the scary people that hang out at crime scenes. You should never go to a crime scene without law enforcement etc. etc. And I think we talked about her cat that was ill? Or was it her son that was ill? I can't remember! lol.

I got another story about going too far. A fellow sleuther from Huff's old board found Melinda Duckett's phone number somewhere. She called it just for the heck of it, listened to Melinda on the voicemail and hung up. Shortly LE calls the sleuther up and wants to know how she knows Melinda. lol, the sleuther was highly embarrassed and had to explain to LE she was just a curious person who called Melinda's number.

I think the point is that no one should ever give the impression that they are an agent working on behalf of WebSleuths or even bring up the WS name. It infers they are backed by an organization and I would imagine it causes Tricia a lot of headaches. There are some who might try to hold Tricia libel for what members say and do if they imply they are seeking information on behalf of WS.

In my opinion, WS is not a detective agency, but rather a place where great minds can come together and do what they are best at in their field. I've only been here a short while, but am constantly amazed at the brilliant members.

I think the point is that no one should ever give the impression that they are an agent working on behalf of WebSleuths or even bring up the WS name. It infers they are backed by an organization and I would imagine it causes Tricia a lot of headaches. There are some who might try to hold Tricia liable for what members say and do if they imply they are seeking information on behalf of WS.

In my opinion, WS is not a detective agency, but rather a place where great minds can come together and do what they are best at in their field. I've only been here a short while, but am constantly amazed at the brilliant members.

Thank You Thank You Thank You :blowkiss::blowkiss::blowkiss:

Here is the problem we face: no matter what, when something bad happens and it is connected to the Internet in some way Websleuths gets blamed for it. Some nut from a discussion forum is standing outside the Anthony's yelling? Gotta be from Websleuths. Some nuts are hysterically calling someone demanding they cancel the Anthony's appearance at their event? Must be from Websleuths. I have spent a lot of time convincing people that Websleuths didn't do this or do that. It gets tiring.

If someone represents themselves at a rep of Websleuths, and they somehow harm the reputation of Websleuths by claiming this, they are liable for any type of damages. The Internet laws have changed Thank God so it is easier for people to take action when they have been harmed. I hate to be so grumpy about it but Websleuths is near and dear to me and so many continue to work hard to make it the best place on the net that I have to protect what we do.

It is rare that I will ever call law enforcement or a case player. Very rare.

We can't control what anyone does off Websleuths but we will do whatever we can to make sure we are not misrepresented.

Thanks Kids,
Tricia

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela