DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize our planets had been newly assigned! lol
http://media-newswire.com/release_1061503.html

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CHILDREN'S BOOKS ANNOUNCES WINNER OF NEW PLANETARY MNEMONICWASHINGTON (Feb. 22, 2008)--The winner of the National Geographic Children's Books Planetary Mnemonic Contest is 10-year-old Maryn Smith of Great Falls, Mont. Her mnemonic, a handy way of recalling the newly assigned 11 planets, is:

My Very Exciting Magic Carpet Just Sailed Under Nine Palace Elephants.

The mnemonic is being recorded into a song by Grammy-nominated singer and songwriter Lisa Loeb.
=====

Sooo, can any of you name the planets just using that mnemonic? Try and then highlight between the smilies below for the answer!

:)Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto and Eris. Pluto, Ceres and Eris are considered dwarf planets. :)

I didn't realize our planets had been newly assigned! lol
http://media-newswire.com/release_1061503.html

NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CHILDREN'S BOOKS ANNOUNCES WINNER OF NEW PLANETARY MNEMONICWASHINGTON (Feb. 22, 2008)--The winner of the National Geographic Children's Books Planetary Mnemonic Contest is 10-year-old Maryn Smith of Great Falls, Mont. Her mnemonic, a handy way of recalling the newly assigned 11 planets, is:

My Very Exciting Magic Carpet Just Sailed Under Nine Palace Elephants.

The mnemonic is being recorded into a song by Grammy-nominated singer and songwriter Lisa Loeb.
=====

Sooo, can any of you name the planets just using that mnemonic? Try and then highlight between the smilies below for the answer!

:)Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Ceres, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto and Eris. Pluto, Ceres and Eris are considered dwarf planets. :)

That's wonderful! (I still miss Pluto :cool: )

Taximom, you definitely win the 'cool new highlight' award! :clap:

Oh, no, Truly. I just learned that from another poster, but my horribly bad memory prevents me from remembering who it was. :( I should have made up a mnemonic for that! lol Thanks to whoever that was. :clap:

P.S. I miss Pluto too! I say "Once a planet, always a planet!" :D

What a great idea! I will be teaching this to my grands tomorrow!! I miss Pluto, too. I thought poor little Pluto had the most going for it as a planet...I guess his selfesteem did him in eventually. LOL

And yes...I could name the planets. My Science teacher from High School was a huge fan of the stars and planets. He was an interesting kinda guy.

Pluto is the dog planet!:snooty: Didn't any of you see the movie "Good Boy"??? The ruler was the Greater Dane.

I love this kind of stuff! My 8 year old informed me of this a while back actually..Also the other day he informed me of the sun and something about it being the big red giant. I was half paying attention when I heard something about the big red giant on the news lol.. anyway it has to do with the sun and when the world will come to an end. I'm a dork and my little guy took after my interests! :crazy:

I wonder if Ceres and Eris will grow any bigger?

I wonder if Ceres and Eris will grow any bigger?

Grow as in actual growth size through the natural process of being a celestial body? (to which "no" is the answer)

or grow as in: us astronomers redoing the math that determined the sizes, thus new numbers could show that they might be bigger than first thought? (possible, but iffy)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487
Back