Cooper Harris - Sidebar Thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems as if the baby left in the hot car seat 'accident' (I feel certain some are accidental) is a relatively new phenomenon. My boys were babies in the early 90's and I don't recall this being a problem then. Was I just too busy to watch the news or am I correct in thinking these instances have increased over the past 5-7 years?
ETA--- I had a college friend whose husband accidentally hit and killed his toddler while backing out of the driveway. It was obviously devastating for the entire family even though accidental.

I think more and more of us are either in a mom-&-dad-both-have-full-time-jobs situation, or in a single-parent-with-a-full-time-job situation. And the jobs are more push-push, be-the-best, get-a-raise/promotion, etc., etc.

We are in such a dayam blasting hurry all the time. Get home, throw dinner together or spend time with the child(ren), review homework, or give the toddler a bath, and kids to bed by 8:00 or 9:00 pm. Clean up, "relax," have a chat with partner (or work on work stuff), go to bed and get those 6 hours of sleep, & try not to worry about what you have to do tomorrow & the next day.

And, I've been there, done that, so I am not blasting those who do or must, in any way. Not saying everyone who has that worst thing to happen, is in that mode, but it could account for some of it

JMO.

It seems as if the baby left in the hot car seat 'accident' (I feel certain some are accidental) is a relatively new phenomenon. My boys were babies in the early 90's and I don't recall this being a problem then. Was I just too busy to watch the news or am I correct in thinking these instances have increased over the past 5-7 years?
ETA--- I had a college friend whose husband accidentally hit and killed his toddler while backing out of the driveway. It was obviously devastating for the entire family even though accidental.

BBM. Yes, it is.

First car seats came along. When my daughter was a baby in the early 80s, it had only *just* become law in the state we lived in that babies had to ride in car seats. My mother thought I was weird for strapping my newborn into a car seat for her ride home from the hospital.

Then at some point they figured out that very young babies were safest riding rear-racing.

Then air bags became standard on the front passenger side, and they figured out that babies riding rear-facing in the front seat were in danger of being killed by the air bags. So it became the standard recommendation that rear-facing car seats must be in the back seat.

Now, you got babies falling asleep during the car ride, in their rear-racing seats in the back seat. You can't see them from the driver's seat.

The driver gets distracted during the drive, goes into auto-pilot mode, and arrives at work believing they dropped off the baby at daycare just like they do every day. I totally get how that can happen. I've arrived at work unable to remember the drive. I've gone flying past my turn because I was driving on autopilot. That Washington Post article that's been linked to gives a very good explanation for how the brain creates the possibility of "forgetting" your child in the car.

I don't believe for a minute that JRH "forgot" his little boy, though.

I had a child in 1985, and the only time his car seat was in the back was when 2 adults were in the front.

I had a child in 1985, and the only time his car seat was in the back was when 2 adults were in the front.

Yep, me too. No passenger-side airbags back then (I'm not even sure driver-side airbags were very common), so no airbag danger to a rear-facing car seat in the front seat. Mine always rode in the front, too, when it was just the 2 of us.

Per the local Atlanta News, the new venue will be announced on Thursday. Sorry, don't have a link.

HLN just stated the trial will be held in Brunswick, GA. Trial scheduled to begin Sept 12.

Just finishing up and on verdict watch with the Heather Elvis case in South Carolina.

I was looking at which trial is next and I see Erin Corwin and Cooper Harris trials, which BOTH I have followed for years, both start on September 12th!

:pullhair: !!!!!

Thanks for the update! I'll have to see how far Brunswick is from me. :)

Brunswick is a beautiful town on the coast, a memorable bridge included.

Residents are probably leery of the media circus that is likely to descend upon them....

I have been to the area of the Golden Isles. We have vacationed in Jekyll Island many times. Beautiful area, but, very hot and humid there.

I have been to the area of the Golden Isles. We have vacationed in Jekyll Island many times. Beautiful area, but, very hot and humid there.

The heat is a good thing -- and September can be hot, hot, hot down in that area.

I think it was in Brunswick that the baby boy was shot in the face sitting in his stroller. One of the saddest things I ever heard of.
Such a beautiful town, though, which made it even harder to understand.

Confused about all the different threads to follow for the trial. I hope HLN will have extensive coverage, has anyone heard?

It is hot today for Sept in Indiana, 91 degrees. My boy cats are suffering, won't come into the shed at night as their routine, even though I had ceiling fans installed there. I'm always thinking of their discomfort in this heat. Can't believe parents can forget their children in hot dangerous parked cars for 1 hour!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper