Cords, Knots, and Strangulation Devices

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
otg,

Meyer probably knew the case was RDI, even BDI so that he was always going to be firefighting, so just did the minimum required, since he knew what the outcome was to be?
Perhaps that too is the reason he was in no hurry to get to the crime scene and waited until six hours or so after the body had been found before he headed over to spend seven minutes examining it? That’s amazing! If he was that good that he knew all this before the autopsy, before the preliminary examination, and even before he left his house, he was either the most brilliant clairvoyant in the world or the most ineffective forensic pathologist I’ve ever heard of. Even though I’d lean more toward the latter, I don’t really think he was either.

He didn’t even know about the head blow until he peeled back her scalp. Conclusion: He didn’t know who was responsible before he performed the autopsy -- and even then he didn’t know who lived in the same house with the victim.

Not to mention he didn't take the time to take vitreous fluid from the eye and obtain the internal body temperature. That's pretty standard for any ME.

Not to mention he didn't take the time to take vitreous fluid from the eye and obtain the internal body temperature. That's pretty standard for any ME.
Yup. The viteous fluid is probably the most important measurement that he neglected. It's not affected by the ambient temperature in estimating TOD.

WARNING! LONG GRAPHIC AUTOPSY COMMENT!

Part 1 of 2 posts

The following two posts reference three of the autopsy photos that can be found here:

Page 44 this thread showing triangular abrasion on front left neck, enlarged
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Strangulation-Devices&p=12795570#post12795570

right side view of circumferential abrasions and argent lines on neck
http://www.acandyrose.com/jonbenetfaceright-x.jpg

back of neck after furrowed ligature removed by coroner
http://www.acandyrose.com/jonbenetneckback-x.jpg

JBR was 47 inches tall, 45 pounds, likely wore girl child size 6, and was of normal height but slightly underweight while well-nourished, and IMO she was lean, petite and small-framed. The AR unfortunately does not give us a neck circumference measure, nor does it provide us with the length of the ligature in the furrow on the neck. Based on what I could google about child neck circumferences*, I am estimating JBR’s natural neck circumference of approximately 9 inches, and the constricted neck circumference of approx. 7 –7.5 inches. We know there is 17 inches from the slipknot to the paint stick knot per the AR as measured by the coroner when the cord was relaxed. There is an assumption that this particular type of cord under stress will stretch a little to a possibly longer length of 17.5 – 18 inches. I believe the paint stick was attached as a part of the strangulation device and therefore the paint stick knot was created before it was applied to the neck and is not simply additive staging.

The front left neck injury is a PREMORTEM ABRASION. From two sections of the AR:
“A prominent dried abrasion was present on the lower left neck.”
and
”The area of abrasion and petechial hemorrhage of the skin of the anterior neck includes on the lower left neck, just to the left of the midline, a roughly triangular, parchment-like rust colored abrasion which measures 1.5 inches in length with a maximum width of .75 inches. The roughly triangular shaped abrasion is obliquely oriented with the apex superior and lateral. The remainder of the abrasions and petechial hemorrhages of the skin above and below the anterior projection of the ligature furrow are nonpatterned…”

So the apex of the abrasion points up to about one or two o'clock The bottom of the triangle abrasion is a ROUNDED shape from about six to eight o’clock. (The “triangle” shape of the abrasion is like a wing – like when you make a sand or snow angel, your hand leaves a rounded outer edge that is wider than where your shoulder is, if that makes sense.) I believe the broken paint stick caused this rounded bottom edge, triangular abrasion that I will try to explain below.

The paint stick was pulled tightening the slipknot near the posterior midline of the neck (per AR, but actually slightly to the right of midline per photos) creating the furrowed ligature line. From the posterior slipknot, the 17 inches were drawn to the victim’s LEFT around the neck two and a half times and pulled tightly until the paint stick can go no further, a final tug about 3 more inches to the left of the slipknot, and the paint stick is affixed from the Top in the left front neck, the far distal end over the furrowed ligature and secured under those two extra loops. (Approx. constricted neck 7 + 7 + 3 inches = 17 inches, with +1 inch error for cord stretch and + .5 inch error in measurements 7.5 + 7.5 + 3 inches = 18 inches). Oxygen deprivation to the brain resulted in continuous violent, contorting convulsions and seizures, ultimately death of brain tissue releasing strong electrical discharges to the nervous system. Some of these spasmodic contortions involved very hard, rigid straining of the head and neck to the right. I believe the stress placed on the now missing far distal end of the paint stick caught under the lower extra loop caused it to break off.

The AR states that the broken paint stick is 4.5 inches. Using an enlarged to actual size image of the paint stick, the apex end + middle knot area = 2.75 inches, and the distal end beyond on the knot = 1.75 inches, for a total of 4.5 inches. After the far distal end broke off, the remaining distal end is still on top of the furrowed ligature but only pinned under the one upper extra loop of cord, each .25 inches wide. This leaves 1.5 inches of paint stick extended below the furrowed ligature, creating the downward triangular abrasion as it scraped side to side (like the snow angel) at the oblique downward angle between six and eight o’clock, and equaling the dried abrasion size stated in the AR of maximum length of 1.5 inches.

* A Canadian study of 8 yo girls had 26cm average necks = 10.2 inches. Another study had a chart of 6yo girls with average necks 24cm = 9.5 inches.

Part 2 of 2 posts

The apex end of the paint stick and the middle part with the knot, lying on top of and above the furrow ligature line, would have extended up and away from the left neck to one or two o'clock leaving no marks above the furrowed line especially as the neck and head wrenched away to the right, with the distal end gouging the abrasion, the paint stick in a teeter-totter position. The additional circumferential premortem abrasion lines on the neck would also be explained by this placement of two extra loops that slipped during the convulsions abrading the skin of the neck below the furrowed ligature until death, and then postmortem blanched argent lines where the two loops ended up. In the autopsy image of the side of the right neck, when viewed enlarged to 200-300%, the lowest one or two argent lines have "tracks" (like can be seen on the waist argent lines) that resemble the ligature cord material. The paint stick placement this way explains why the extra abrasion and argent lines on the neck only appear prominently on the right side of the lower neck in opposition to the paint stick which lifted the loop away from the skin on the upper left neck and resulted in the triangular abrasion instead.

It was not necessary to lock the paint stick into position like that. Did the killer know that the simple slipknot on the furrowed ligature was not going to loosen on its own? This may tell us something about the killer. Speed may also be a factor in the furrow ligature tightening, the wrapping of two and a half extra loops, and securing the paint stick before violent seizures occur, which may tell us something about the killer. I think that the killer completed the device and then stepped back no longer touching the victim, nor applying force to the device, and presumably watched the death throes for five minutes (?). The original and final positions of the paint stick may have not been oblique.

The photo of the back of the neck shows the condition after the furrowed ligature was cut away. There are two clear areas of break in the petechial hemorrhage along the top of the furrow line with a small center area of hemorrhage between the breaks. Those two angled upward and leftward breaks suggest some pressure against the skin at those points remained after death - blanched argent lines. I am not sure what marks would or would not be at the specific slipknot point, but the breaks would be from the two wrapping passes of the 17 inches at those break areas over the furrowed ligature as described in the post 1 of 2 above. In the photo, there are no discernible continuing argent lines on the posterior right scalp up and well beyond the furrow line probably because at the TOD there was hair under those two passes of the cord around the back of the neck. These two extra loops of the 17 inches were never as tight as the ligature furrow line, and relaxed somewhat as the paint stick moved, so at the initial tension there was enough tightness to cause the anterior and right circumferential abrasions and petechial hemorrhages, and after death enough remaining tension to leave the argent lines, but no furrows.

After death, the body would have been left in this position, long enough for the argent lines on the right neck and the two break marks above the furrow line on the right posterior neck to form. When the body is later photographed on the living room carpet, the paint stick is no longer affixed on the left front neck, and it is unclear if the additional loops are still around the neck. I believe that she was laid on the white blanket on the floor of the WC on her back, wrists and lower arms looped in that respective piece of cord in front of her, that another missing section of cord was wrapped at least once around her waist leaving other argent line(s), and possibly from the waist wrapped several times around the legs. During the strangulation, with the additional factor of prior right brain trauma, the body was primarily seizing to the right, there was involuntary right arm flinging upward and over the head taking the attached left wrist with it, matching the AR statement
“There are no defects noted in the shirt but the upper anterior right sleeve contains a dried brown-tan stain measuring 2.5 x 1.5 inches consistent with mucous from the nose or mouth.”
No one wiped the mucous off her face or moved her from the final death position except perhaps to remove any lower body missing cord, and add the tape over the mouth (staging). I believe she was not wrapped like a papoose but the sides of the blanket were simply pulled over her. I think that any wiping down or redressing occurred before the strangulation, and the strangulation and death occurred in the WC, and the body was not moved after death until JR brought her upstairs.

I think the killer may have had some knowledge or expectation of involuntary leg kicking and arm movements during strangulation and that the known cord around the wrists was not staging but to hold the body down. I think the killer may have been surprised by the excessive spasm activity of the neck and head and perhaps the arm flinging. I wonder if the missing far distal end of the paint stick flew off in the killer’s face and gave the killer a fat lip, one can hope, and I know LE took photos of JR, PR, JAR and MR on 12/28 (Thomas, page 55). It is PR’s red fibers in each element of this part of the crime.

Part 1 of 2 posts

The following two posts reference three of the autopsy photos that can be found here:

Page 44 this thread showing triangular abrasion on front left neck, enlarged
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...Strangulation-Devices&p=12795570#post12795570

right side view of circumferential abrasions and argent lines on neck
http://www.acandyrose.com/jonbenetfaceright-x.jpg

back of neck after furrowed ligature removed by coroner
http://www.acandyrose.com/jonbenetneckback-x.jpg

JBR was 47 inches tall, 45 pounds, likely wore girl child size 6, and was of normal height but slightly underweight while well-nourished, and IMO she was lean, petite and small-framed.

<Most respectful snipping for space and focus>

An outstanding, succinct, clear and concise, moment by moment, accounting of the mechanism of strangulation, SandyQLS. It is also terrifying.

The explanation for the multiple argent lines makes a difference in understanding the psychology of the child killer. It does not explain the urine spot on the carpet in the basement hallway but JonBenet's death attire tells us that she wet the front her brother's long john undergarments that JBR apparently wore as PJs. But, in your theory, her tiny body was supine or face up and that falls in line with the livor mortis.

The explanation for the wrist restraints with the center of the cord being held to prevent JB from hitting her assailant with flailing arms seems likely. JBR suffered the head wound and lived another 45m or so before being strangled to death in the WC. The local hardware store was where PR purchased the supplies. SThomas explains tracing those items in his book, iirc.

Someone hit JBR on the head very hard and with intention. Why? Who? The cord was applied about an hour later. PR is all up in that cord by way of fibers. Conversely, I suppose BR could have his Mother's sweater fibers clinging to his sweaty hands as he constructed the garrotte.

JMOO and all that Jazz. JusticeForJonBenet

Nedra shares concern.
ST Page 90

"Nedra gave us some two dozen suspects off the top of her head, and when we asked if the initials SBTC meant anything to her, she snapped, "Yes. Son of a ***** Tom Carson." Years before, Carson, the current chief financial officer at Access Graphics, had been involved in Nedra's dismissal from the company. She also pointed to Fleet and Priscilla White, Jeff Merrick and his "vicious" wife, housekeeper Linda Hoffmann-Pugh, a handyman, a painter, the gardener, the nanny, and a couple"

FW goes in a beeline down into the basement, opens cellar door, does not see any JB, closes door. FW is in the train room where he moves a suitcase. What was the purpose? Perhaps he opened it. Saw the contents of the blue duvet and possibly the adult book. Snaps the lid closed and sits the suitcase in a slightly different place.

FW may have known exactly or strongly suspected why the blue duvet set up was convenient, in that, it was used while molesting JB or for redressing her or both [according to the fiber report].

:cow:

DeDee, forgive me for being forward, but what are you getting at?

JB obviously was not wearing panties when the murderous head blow occurred. Size 12s were added to make it seem there were initially panties worn and now they are missing. They aren't missing b/c she never had them on. She voided in the Size 12s and white leggings at TOD during the garroting.

Agreed, 100%

Forgive me for delaying a response for, oh, ten months. Life has a way of squirming into my business.

We possibly could add size 6 underwear that JB may have been wearing prior to the assault to the "missing items" list along with the remainder of the cord and the roll of duct tape.

Can it be emphasized enough that JB was in contact with the blue duvet on the evening of her murder? The duvet found inside the blue suitcase, along with the adult book authored and sketched by Dr. Seuss, are important clues.

Some folks want to dismiss the heavy Samsonite suitcase, and its contents, due to LS and his bogus intruder theory. The truth is that JB was in contact with the contents that were inside the suitcase prior to her death [blue fibers report]. JBR was never placed inside of the suitcase. The experiment was tried and failed.

Frankly, I do not understand FWs return to the WC after JR found his daughter. We can opine that he studied the cigar box and the tape but maybe he returned to the basement to remove an item or two of evidence although I do not personally feel that he did. How would we know what he did or did not do? Then, he quickly helps JR make BRs bed and assists in shagging BR out the front door and drives BR in his vehicle to deposit BR at his home away from prying eyes of BPD. When the police drop by to question BR a couple of hours later, he is dining on a sandwich inside Fs home. That is a good amount of first-hand contact with a witness, out of 3 known, to be inside of the Rs home at and during the TOD.
:cow:

Politely snipped for space and focus on topic of the red triangle abrasion

SENSITIVE CONTENT

Part 1 of 2 posts

So the apex of the abrasion points up to about one or two o'clock The bottom of the triangle abrasion is a ROUNDED shape from about six to eight o’clock. (The “triangle” shape of the abrasion is like a wing – like when you make a sand or snow angel, your hand leaves a rounded outer edge that is wider than where your shoulder is, if that makes sense.) I believe the broken paint stick caused this rounded bottom edge, triangular abrasion that I will try to explain below.

The paint stick was pulled tightening the slipknot near the posterior midline of the neck (per AR, but actually slightly to the right of midline per photos) creating the furrowed ligature line. From the posterior slipknot, the 17 inches were drawn to the victim’s LEFT around the neck two and a half times and pulled tightly until the paint stick can go no further, a final tug about 3 more inches to the left of the slipknot, and the paint stick is affixed from the Top in the left front neck, the far distal end over the furrowed ligature and secured under those two extra loops. (Approx. constricted neck 7 + 7 + 3 inches = 17 inches, with +1 inch error for cord stretch and + .5 inch error in measurements 7.5 + 7.5 + 3 inches = 18 inches). Oxygen deprivation to the brain resulted in continuous violent, contorting convulsions and seizures, ultimately death of brain tissue releasing strong electrical discharges to the nervous system. Some of these spasmodic contortions involved very hard, rigid straining of the head and neck to the right. I believe the stress placed on the now missing far distal end of the paint stick caught under the lower extra loop caused it to break off.

The AR states that the broken paint stick is 4.5 inches. Using an enlarged to actual size image of the paint stick, the apex end + middle knot area = 2.75 inches, and the distal end beyond on the knot = 1.75 inches, for a total of 4.5 inches. After the far distal end broke off, the remaining distal end is still on top of the furrowed ligature but only pinned under the one upper extra loop of cord, each .25 inches wide. This leaves 1.5 inches of paint stick extended below the furrowed ligature, creating the downward triangular abrasion as it scraped side to side (like the snow angel) at the oblique downward angle between six and eight o’clock, and equaling the dried abrasion size stated in the AR of maximum length of 1.5 inches.

I believe the stress placed on the now missing far distal end of the paint stick caught under the lower extra loop caused it to break off.

In your well-conceived theory of the strangulation, the paint stick is attached to the cord premortem. Therefore, the act to follow was premeditated and not an accident or is that a jump too far?

The cord is placed around the neck and held in place by the slipknot. Then, the cord was wrapped tightly toward the left and once more around until the paintbrush is in the location of the red triangular abrasion. At this point, the paint brush was inserted under the two extra loops of cord to be held in place. As the body's reaction to strangulation, the writhing caused friction from the distal end of the paint brush to abrade JBRs skin; thereby, causing the red triangular abrasion. This effect would also explain the tangled hair in the paint brush cord.

If one end of the paintbrush was broken during the time of the strangulation process, why does the killing stick not have the original distal and proximal ends? It is only the middle or center of the original brush. One end disappeared, correct? One end landed or was placed in the paint tote, correct? Feeling great detest for that cord.

http://www.freep.com/story/entertai...werner-spitz-chris-cornell-autopsy/367825001/

Dr. Spitz: 'Not absolutely convinced' Chris Cornell's death was suicide
June 3, 2017

"Dr. Werner Spitz, former chief medical examiner in Wayne and Macomb counties,
reviewed Chris Cornell's autopsy on Friday and and told the Free Press he was
intrigued by the position of Cornell's body,
noting it was partially suspended.

Spitz said he was "not absolutely convinced" the suicide ruling is correct.

"In theory, it could be an accident," he said late Friday."

WARNING AUTOPSY PHOTOS

https://www.mussenhealth.us/carbon-monoxide/ligature-strangulation.html

"In ligature strangulation, in contrast to hangings, the ligature mark usually encircles the neck in a horizontal plane often overlying the larynx or upper trachea (Figure 8.22). When a wire or cord is used, it often completely encircles the neck. There might be a break in the furrow, however, usually in the back of the neck, where a hand has grasped the ligature and tightened it at this point. Aside from the ligature mark, abrasions and contusions of the skin of the neck are usually not present. They can occur, however, if the assailant places his hands beneath and around the ligature and twists it, tightening it around the neck, or if the victim claws at his neck in an attempt to remove the ligature or relieve the pressure. If there is more than one loop of the ligature around the neck, there could be bruising of the skin if the ligature pinches the skin between two loops. Edema fluid may be present in the nostrils."

http://www.freep.com/story/entertai...werner-spitz-chris-cornell-autopsy/367825001/

Dr. Spitz: 'Not absolutely convinced' Chris Cornell's death was suicide
June 3, 2017

"Dr. Werner Spitz, former chief medical examiner in Wayne and Macomb counties,
reviewed Chris Cornell's autopsy on Friday and and told the Free Press he was
intrigued by the position of Cornell's body,
noting it was partially suspended.

Spitz said he was "not absolutely convinced" the suicide ruling is correct.

"In theory, it could be an accident," he said late Friday."
It seems Spitz hasn’t learned yet that his continued trying to insert himself into cases in which he has not been invited does him no favors. Maybe Burke and Lin will succeed in helping him learn -- I don’t know. I have mixed feelings about who should be the victor because I see both sides of the lawsuit as deserving to be knocked down a peg or two.

If you read Cornell’s AR, it’s obvious (IMO) that Spitz is again simply going against the obvious to be a contrarian and make himself appear more knowledgeable than anyone else. He's NOT!

thanks Tad, 'attached to a metal clip device' could that be a carabiner?
Cranberry, you’re correct that it could have been a carabiner. But if it is, it most likely was included with the exercise device which probably included another part used as a “door anchor.” Here’s a link to an example of one such device. If you roll your cursor over the picture, you can see the carabiner attached to the ends of the resistance bands.

https://www.amazon.com/Tribe-11pc-R...se-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1499096463&sr=1-11

WARNING AUTOPSY PHOTOS

https://www.mussenhealth.us/carbon-monoxide/ligature-strangulation.html

"In ligature strangulation, in contrast to hangings, the ligature mark usually encircles the neck in a horizontal plane often overlying the larynx or upper trachea (Figure 8.22). When a wire or cord is used, it often completely encircles the neck. There might be a break in the furrow, however, usually in the back of the neck, where a hand has grasped the ligature and tightened it at this point. Aside from the ligature mark, abrasions and contusions of the skin of the neck are usually not present. They can occur, however, if the assailant places his hands beneath and around the ligature and twists it, tightening it around the neck, or if the victim claws at his neck in an attempt to remove the ligature or relieve the pressure. If there is more than one loop of the ligature around the neck, there could be bruising of the skin if the ligature pinches the skin between two loops. Edema fluid may be present in the nostrils."
Hey, Tad. Thanks for the link and the quote. In the linked article, the author is trying to point out differences in the forensic evidence commonly found at strangulations versus suspensions. It assumes some things not stated in the article. In particular, it assumes a vertical suspension (as opposed to a partial, horizontal suspension) in which the victim is left suspended until the ligature furrow has developed.

The author says, “In ligature strangulation, in contrast to hangings, the ligature mark usually encircles the neck in a horizontal plane often overlying the larynx or upper trachea.” I’ll agree with this and point out that when a victim is strangled by an assailant, the ligature used is almost always placed in the center of the neck which is why it is usually found “overlying the larynx or upper trachea.” This is different from a suspension in that the ligature is usually found above the larynx because of body weight.

Where I disagree with what was written in this article is in the following sentence addressing ligature strangulation:
“There might be a break in the furrow, however, usually in the back of the neck, where a hand has grasped the ligature and tightened it at this point.”

If you think about it, anyone should see why this statement is incorrect and in fact goes against one of the hallmarks of a suspension. A furrow doesn’t develop and become visible immediately. After an assailant has killed his victim, he releases the ligature and (usually) leaves the CS. With no more pulling on the ligature, it settles circumferentially and the furrow therefore develops circumferentially. For that reason there is no “break in the furrow” in a ligature strangulation.

OTOH, when a victim is suspended, a break actually does form at the point of suspension in a characteristic inverted “V” shape. (I’m sure we’ve all read about this before, but I’ll supply links if requested.) If the victim remains suspended for a long enough period of time, a furrow develops with its deepest point opposite the suspension point and gradually gets less pronounced toward the point of suspension where it completely disappears.

Also worth noting is the very last sentence in the above quote:
“Edema fluid may be present in the nostrils.”

Anyone care to guess where that “edema fluid” would come from? If you realized that strangulation and suspension both cause brain swelling, you’d be correct. And exactly what is that “fluid” that would be found in the nostrils? If you read something I posted recently on another thread somewhere, you’d know that it is CSF (cerebrospinal fluid) -- just as was found at JonBenet’s autopsy. The difference is the color of the fluid. CSF is clear. JonBenet's was noted in the AR as "tan" -- indicating that it was hemorrhagic despite Dr. Meyer's initial impression. The blood tinge was probably because of the complication from TBI in addition to the ligature around her neck.

It is hard for me to watch picture closely and I have limited knowledge of similar marks on someone body.

Keeping in mind others decided it could be a stun gun and it looked like a round little burned dark mark on the skin.

I suggested in my theory it could be a burn from a cigarette/joint.

Someone light a joint and then heated skin of JonP 1st on the face then he decides heat her neck as more vulnerable.

Not much chance to check this more closely looking on pictures but I hope there is ash from the joint on her clothing.

In other words, I think that after skull fracture someone was checking state of JonP and severity of her "situation"

P.S. I will be watching you closely at least for next few months ;-) but have no reason to promote anything against someone self-happiness.

Where I disagree with what was written in this article is in the following sentence addressing ligature strangulation:
&#8220;There might be a break in the furrow, however, usually in the back of the neck, where a hand has grasped the ligature and tightened it at this point.&#8221;

If you think about it, anyone should see why this statement is incorrect and in fact goes against one of the hallmarks of a suspension. A furrow doesn&#8217;t develop and become visible immediately. After an assailant has killed his victim, he releases the ligature and (usually) leaves the CS. With no more pulling on the ligature, it settles circumferentially and the furrow therefore develops circumferentially. For that reason there is no &#8220;break in the furrow&#8221; in a ligature strangulation.

ty for the feedback, otg

In your well-conceived theory of the strangulation, the paint stick is attached to the cord premortem. Therefore, the act to follow was premeditated and not an accident or is that a jump too far? The cord is placed around the neck and held in place by the slipknot. Then, the cord was wrapped tightly toward the left and once more around until the paintbrush is in the location of the red triangular abrasion. At this point, the paint brush was inserted under the two extra loops of cord to be held in place. As the body's reaction to strangulation, the writhing caused friction from the distal end of the paint brush to abrade JBRs skin; thereby, causing the red triangular abrasion. This effect would also explain the tangled hair in the paint brush cord. If one end of the paintbrush was broken during the time of the strangulation process, why does the killing stick not have the original distal and proximal ends? It is only the middle or center of the original brush. One end disappeared, correct? One end landed or was placed in the paint tote, correct? Feeling great detest for that cord.
DeDee - I read your two posts to me (page 45) some time ago now, but I have never really had any answer to respond. I wasn't ignoring you. I was posting just another possible theory of that aspect alone in the CS. There is also a blood spot on the ligature in the upper photo below that I am not sure aligns with my theory or not, or is the photo distorted, or was the cord just relaxed when photographed. I am still considering the possible suspension theories of otg and others esp. because of the very frayed ends of cords - such as the 4 inch tail compared to the coroner's cut [on the right side], both cut under tension but the outcomes are quite different. It is wonderful that otg and so many others have taken the time to look into knots and cords so we can all learn - I would never have known that the strangulation knot would not release on its own without the dedication of these posters.

Attachments

• Garotte 3.jpg
    Garotte 3.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 40
DeDee - I read your two posts to me (page 45) some time ago now, but I have never really had any answer to respond. I wasn't ignoring you. I was posting just another possible theory of that aspect alone in the CS. There is also a blood spot on the ligature in the upper photo below that I am not sure aligns with my theory or not, or is the photo distorted, or was the cord just relaxed when photographed. I am still considering the possible suspension theories of otg and others esp. because of the very frayed ends of cords - such as the 4 inch tail compared to the coroner's cut [on the right side], both cut under tension but the outcomes are quite different. It is wonderful that otg and so many others have taken the time to look into knots and cords so we can all learn - I would never have known that the strangulation knot would not release on its own without the dedication of these posters.
Here's something else to consider. I don't have an answer -- it's just something I've puzzled over. Maybe someone will have some thoughts that can help. Here's what Dr. Meyer said about removal of the cord around her neck (reference Sandy's attached photo):

Wrapped around the neck with a double knot in the midline of the posterior neck is a length of white cord similar to that described as being tied around the right wrist. This ligature cord is cut on the right side of the neck and removed. A single black ink mark is placed on the left side of the cut and a double black ink mark on the right side of the cut. The posterior knot is left intact.

By that description, how did the apparent bloody-tinged mucus get on the left side of her neck with her head turned to the right?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RN527
Back