Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.

There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.

New Chinese virus 'will have infected hundreds'

Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.

Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.

But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Experts say the fact three Chinese tourists have tested positive for the virus outside Wuhan indicates the disease toll may be higher than reported.

Scientists fear up to 4,500 Chinese patients may have caught the new coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

COVID-19 -Media, Maps, Videos, Timelines, CDC/WHO Resources, etc. ***NO DISCUSSION***

POLLS:

POLL: Confident that US agencies are doing everything to prevent the spread of COVID-19?

POLL: What concerns you most about COVID-19?

POLL: Confident in US medical facilities and personnel to adequately manage COVID-19?

POLL: What do you think the status of COVID-19 will be in six months (September, 2020)?

______

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11 Thread #12 Thread #13

Last edited by a moderator:
The new coronavirus has two distinct strains — and it is possible to be infected with both at the same time, a new research paper says.

A joint study by researchers from multiple Chinese universities, which has been accepted by the National Science Review, looked at 103 genomes of SARS-CoV-2 and found the virus had evolved into two separate strains, known as "S" and "L".

The "S" type is older and seems to be milder, while the newer, more prevalent "L" type is more aggressive.

more:
Two strains of coronavirus have emerged — and you can get both at once, study suggests

Washington state :(

The death toll from the coronavirus in Washington state has risen to at least 13, according to new reporting from a hospital system based in the virus-hit city of Kirkland.

Jeff Tomlin, CEO of healthcare system EvergreenHealth, told CNN that 11 patients at his facility have died after testing positive for coronavirus.

CNN previously reported 11 deaths in total, including a woman in her 80s who died at home and a man in his 50s who died at the Harborview Medical Center.

That means at least 13 people have died statewide.

51 year old woman on Princess Poison cruise returns to Alberta on Feb 21, wanders around for a week, gets sick, reports, is self-quarantined, tests positive for the virus (wonder what made her do this if she just has a bit of a cold), is doing well and will recover.

When is the school Term Break? Was that at the same time?

Another cruise with a COVID- 19 passenger

MSC Opera cruise in Greece in Temporary Quarantine due to a passenger testing positive

What were people thinking? Did they think that the quarantined cruise ship in Japan was an isolated event? Did the cruise ship owners think that they didn't need to clean ships because it wasn't a USA virus? What the heck are people thinking?

Could WHO Tedros be suggesting that maybe the USA needs to get its act in order? That is, regarding governments that aren't doing anything with the small window of time that is left? Maybe the WHO is referring to Nairobi or Ethiopia.

The 25-year-old, from Llandudno, North Wales, described how the illness progressed, going from feeling like a cold to seeing him end up in hospital.
On day seven of his experience, after a brief recovery from what he thought was a cold, Reed describes feeling like he has flu, writing: “The symptoms hit me this afternoon like a train and, unless there’s an overnight miracle, I will not be going to work tomorrow.”

He goes on to describe how the illness worsened, despite him fighting it with hot toddies, with the occasional day of feeling better.

On the 12th day, Reed writes: “I have never been this ill in my life” and says he felt like he was suffocating, prompting the decision to go to hospital where he was prescribed antibiotics for pneumonia.

'It hit me like a train': First Brit to contract coronavirus describes symptoms

The more I think about the cruise lines operating now during this endemic the more I realize what a public safety issue it is.
If a cruise ship is stopping at 3/5/7 ports (depending on length of cruise), and they let off 3,000 passengers into ports that may have circulating virus, then they all get back on and mix/mingle spread germs and get ready to do it several more times. Or if someone boards a cruise who’s unkowlingly positive and spreads it to the passengers, crew, destinations. Complete disaster!

Facebook tells Bay Area employees to stay home and cancel any trips amid coronavirus outbreak

Facebook tells Bay Area employees to stay home and cancel any trips amid coronavirus outbreak

"Based on guidance from Santa Clara County today, we are strongly recommending that all Bay area employees and contingent staff work from home starting tomorrow, Friday, March 6th," Facebook spokesperson Anthony Harrison Thursday evening said in a statement to CNBC. "This decision is based on our desire to minimize the risk of spreading COVID-19, The health and safety of our teams, their loved ones and our neighbors remain a top priority." It's the first known tech giant to feel the effect of the outbreak in its Silicon Valley home.”

Now THAT’S what I’m taking about!:)

I’m sooooo glad to see major corporate leadership taking a tough stand. We need this so others will pay attention and follow suit. MOO.

(Either that, or we could have our gov’t give clear and effective instructions o_O).

Some people are very against shutting things down here. They think it’s just a flu. Super annoying because instead of doing research they just assume. But in my mind why would a country shut down schools and all sports if it’s just the flu. And it’s also very sad when people blow it off. Peoples parents are dying, yeah they are older but doesn’t mean they deserve this illness.

Businesses are starting to feel it. I stopped at one place and they said much less people daily stop. There is still a good amount of people out walking around but not tourist. So why eat out when you can go home.

My son told me he ran into his friend at a piazza last night who told him emergency was there a few minutes ago with a person who possible had the virus. Maybe someone suspected the person to have it. I don’t know. But pretty crazy. I’m not sure if the count in my area at the moment.

I was with a friend who wanted to go get her eyebrows cleaned up at a certain Chinese own spa. They were closed till next week. I guess Chinese places are closing up because nobody is visiting. I have not checked the restaurants here I’m actually so over sushi. It’s either pizza or sushi here. I’m serious. Lol

I’m not sure how staying a meter apart is going on at bars. No large gatherings. It’s so nice to greet people and not have them kiss you.

Are you talking about investing based on the corona virus?
Are you talking about investing based on the corona virus?

Well yes we did, just luckily seeing here what was happening early on in China decided to play it safe and go into bonds, then when even bonds going down last week went into cash. I call it “can I sleep at night” investing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14