Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 25-year-old, from Llandudno, North Wales, described how the illness progressed, going from feeling like a cold to seeing him end up in hospital.
On day seven of his experience, after a brief recovery from what he thought was a cold, Reed describes feeling like he has flu, writing: “The symptoms hit me this afternoon like a train and, unless there’s an overnight miracle, I will not be going to work tomorrow.”

He goes on to describe how the illness worsened, despite him fighting it with hot toddies, with the occasional day of feeling better.

On the 12th day, Reed writes: “I have never been this ill in my life” and says he felt like he was suffocating, prompting the decision to go to hospital where he was prescribed antibiotics for pneumonia.

'It hit me like a train': First Brit to contract coronavirus describes symptoms

I'm a thread behind now! I don't want to lose valuable thread-reading time going off to read this article. How does he know he definitely had Covid-19? Has he had the antibody test already?

Update on NH situation of the medical resident that went to a party after being told to self medicate:

Told to Stay Home, Suspected Coronavirus Patient Attended Event With Dartmouth Students

Quotes from article:

Angry patrons wrote back on Facebook that the coronavirus patient should be jailed or fined.

But it appears that the patient was under no legal obligation to stay home at the time. Under New Hampshire law, a person who refuses to comply with a formal isolation order issued by the health commissioner is guilty of a misdemeanor. In other states, refusing to comply is a felony. [BBM] But on Friday, the patient had not been diagnosed, and had merely been advised by a health care worker to stay home. The formal isolation order was issued after the mixer, after the patient was tested on Monday and the results were determined “presumed positive,” state authorities said.

New Hampshire officials have made clear in their public statements that they feel the patient acted irresponsibly. But he does not appear to have broken the law.

“You can’t bring criminal charges for being a bonehead or just not doing what you were told was advisable to do,” said Wendy Parmet, faculty director of the Center for Health Policy and Law at Northeastern University. “It’s not illegal to ignore the advice of your health care provider, or even the health department, until officials follow the particular procedures to issue a formal health order, and those procedures vary by state.” [BBM]

There is a downside to punishing a single individual in such a case, she said.

“We certainly don’t want people to think that they shouldn’t get tested because if they do, they’ll open themselves up to criminal liability, or a policeman at the door enforcing quarantine,” she said. “Those are consequences that deter testing, treatment and compliance.”

The second New Hampshire patient who tested positive for coronavirus, also a man from Grafton County, is also under isolation at home.
There is some truth to this. No one wants to hinder folks from getting tested (if there are actually enough tests to test them ). And sadly, it is not realistic to expect all to be responsible enough about self isolation.

On another note, I love that she called him a "bonehead." The jails would be full if that were a criterion for arrest. JMO

Trump cancels visit to CDC in Atlanta

President Donald Trump will not travel to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta on Friday, as had originally planned to do, a White House official said, citing the fact that Trump "does not want to interfere" with the organization's work in combatting coronavirus.

U.S. death toll rises to 14 — all but one fatality in Washington State

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members