Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #14

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought of putting them (if I could find them) at our business. Then realized, they'd probably be stolen.

So I finally managed to buy some hand sanitiser today.

In central London Boots have resorted to selling it behind the counter due to people just stealing them when they realised you could only get 2 per customer which is absolutely pathetic.

Situation Update for Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) - Minnesota Dept. of Health

Patients tested
As of March 6, 2020

Positive 0
Negative 36
Total 36

This table shows the number of positive, negative, and the total number of COVID-19 tests. This table will be updated Monday through Friday at noon with test results from the previous day.

Numbers are cumulative since Jan. 20, 2020. We will not release specific locations for any patients being tested in order to protect patient privacy.

Below is what I posted from the same site on March 4th. I'm curious to know if there are any tests pending now or why they changed what information is being reported. Hmmm.......

Minnesota as of March 4, 2020.

Positive 0
Negative 13
Pending 8

US NURSE DENIED CORONAVIRUS TEST

The Executive Director of National Nurses United raised the alarm that their infected nurses are being denied care by the CDC.

The US has over 80 registered nurses under quarantine according to MSNBC.

A statement from a quarantined nurse who is being denied coronavirus testing today after falling ill while caring for a known COVID-19.

She wrote: “I volunteered to be on the care team for this patient.

“I did this because i had all the recommended protective gear and training from my employer.

“I did this assuming that if something happened to me, of course, I too would would be cared for.”

She is now waiting on the Federal government for “permission from the federal government to allow me to be tested” in spite of her physician and county health team ordering it.

Coronavirus LIVE: UK cases soar as second 'coronavirus death' investigated

Terrible.

I think it's fear of being on the plane and possibly exposed to the virus, but also fear of being quarantined somewhere far from home. Not sure how to address that because that actually seems like a possibility for travelers. Even if within your own country, nobody wants to be stuck somewhere for 14 days.

jmo
Here's an email I rec'd from AA today. I have a flight booked at the end of April. :confused:

Confidence when you buy and fly with American
Your safety and well-being is always our top priority at American Airlines, but particularly in relation to the coronavirus (COVID-19). Providing you with up-to-date information on what we are doing to respond to the issue is a critical step in giving you peace of mind when you travel. Here are a few highlights of our efforts:

Travel flexibility
We are extending our offer to waive change fees for customers who purchase tickets March 5 through March 31, 2020, for travel through January 30, 2021. This is available for any of American's nonrefundable published fares. See details for waived change fees.

Enhanced cleaning
We have a strong, structured cleaning regimen and our aircraft are cleaned each day at key touchpoints on their journeys with an EPA-approved disinfectant.

We are also enhancing our cleaning procedures on international flights and aircraft that remain overnight at an airport. This move, which will touch the majority of our aircraft each day, includes a more thorough cleaning of all hard surfaces, including tray tables and armrests.

Also, most of our aircraft are equipped with High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filters that provide a complete air change approximately 15 to 30 times per hour, or once every two to four minutes. A HEPA filter's complete air change is better than most other forms of transportation and office buildings’ and similar to the standard for hospitals. See more details.

Ongoing efforts
Our entire leadership at the airline is focused on the coronavirus issue and your well-being. We are working closely with the federal government, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and many other health agencies to ensure we are doing everything we can to keep you safe and well-informed. We are confident that our incredible team of more than 130,000 will care for you in the best possible way during your journey with us.

Thank you again for flying American.

Kurt-Signature_FirstName.jpg

Kurt Stache
SVP, Customer Experience
American Airlines

(Marking spot, note to self that I’ve missed Tuesday’s, Wednesday’s and Thursday’s WHO PCs, and all CDC conferences start since Tuesday.)

Coronavirus outbreak: WHO warn that the world on the verge of reaching 100,000 cases | FULL

—-

Coronavirus crisis in US as more cases are reported l ABC News

—-

Marking population density, thank you. Been wanting to look into that.
Dr C - "I do expect to get this infection now in the next weeks or months, unfortunately. "

US cities, pop density
List of United States cities by population - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I spent an hour this morning talking to a relative who lives near California Ground 0. Unlike me, she keeps a clean house and is a frequent hand-washer. Unfortunately, her husband is much older, but fortunately, since she is fond of him, he is not minimizing the situation. Instead, once he identifies a problem, he tends to focus on what can be done to combat it, so that is a good thing. So, as a couple, they are working on protocols to control their exposure, while not totally destroying their quality of life.

We spent much of the hour discussing strategies and trading tips to minimize our exposure. I told her about the New York Times article about how to avoid touching your face and sent her the link.

How to Stop Touching Your Face

I am feeling less unsettled since we've done well on our own preparations. I have a fair amount of wipes but plan to stick to bleach water until/unless I get sick when the wipes will be handy. I am doing much better on handwashing, which is a handy habit at any age. I am also getting better about not touching my face when I am in public.

At this point, my main concern is my family of choice. I have three close friends in the "friends help you move, real friends help you move the body" sense. Two of them are older than me. Both have multiple companion animals. One still has two old horses that will need care if she can't provide it. My current goal is to stay healthy enough to help them if they get sick. And, of course, take care of my partner if he gets sick.

It is hard worrying about vulnerable friends and family.
A neighbour with a chronic respiratory disease enjoys visiting her local supermarket but is now wondering when she should stop going there and hunker down and self isolate .

Ontario has three new cases of COVID-19, raising total to 26.

Four people have recovered in Ontario

Four people in the province previously diagnosed with the illness have since recovered, officials confirmed on Thursday. They are a Toronto couple in their 50s, a London, Ont. university student in her 20s and a Toronto woman in her 20s. They had all recently travelled to China.

~~~

There are thus far 49 confirmed and presumptive cases of COVID-19 in Canada – in addition to the two dozen in Ontario, there are 21 in British Columbia.

Quebec has two confirmed cases and one presumptive diagnosis that still has to be confirmed by the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg. Alberta reported its first presumptive case of the illness last night.

Ontario has three new cases of COVID-19, raising total to 26

Last edited:
Italy sees another big jump in coronavirus cases

In Italy, 620 new confirmed coronavirus cases have been reported in the past 24 hours
, bringing the total to 3,916, the country's civil protection agency has said in a statement.

Coronavirus infections near 100,000 globally - BBC News

W
ow the situation is really bad in Italy.

There are more than 100,000 cases, and 20,000 are not in China.

It seems like it was only a week ago that Italy had its first case, and now there are 197 deaths.

upload_2020-3-6_11-39-49.png

Quarantined Italian towns are buckling under the strain, major cities are emptying out and some of those infected say they are being stigmatised as Europe’s worst outbreak of coronavirus takes hold.

As of Thursday night, 3,858 cases had been detected as Italy aggressively tests for the virus. Out of that number, 148 people have died and 414 have recovered. Of those infected, 1,790 are in hospital – 351 in intensive care – and 1,115 are recovering at home.

Eleven towns are under lockdown – 10 in Lombardy and one in Veneto – and schools have been closed across the country as the government tries to contain a virus about which there are still many unknowns.

Stories that have emerged since the outbreak began reflect the contrasting nature of the virus’s impact, from the reassuring accounts of people cured to the suffering of those who have died or are in a critical condition. The heavily pregnant wife of “patient one”, the 38-year-old man who was Italy’s first confirmed locally transmitted case, was dismissed from hospital on Thursday; her husband, a marathon runner and amateur footballer, remains in intensive care.

The dead, mostly elderly and with underlying health problems, are buried quickly without ceremony to mitigate the risk of infection posed by their corpses. The living have become wary of those with even the slightest cough.

Coronavirus latest updates: all countries must make containing outbreak 'highest priority', says WHO

So many things that I used to do, I am no longer doing.

Nail appointment, cancelled.
Go out to lunch, no thanks, I brought my own lunch.
The house has been scrubbed immaculate, and surfaces rubbed down with bleach spray.

No more random shopping trips.

I see there is another confirmed case in GA. Floyd county.
I tried to find this reported in the news and do not see it. There was an article from a source i have never heard of saying there are 9 in GA This would not surprise me at all but I want to see it from msm.

The 25-year-old, from Llandudno, North Wales, described how the illness progressed, going from feeling like a cold to seeing him end up in hospital.
On day seven of his experience, after a brief recovery from what he thought was a cold, Reed describes feeling like he has flu, writing: “The symptoms hit me this afternoon like a train and, unless there’s an overnight miracle, I will not be going to work tomorrow.”

He goes on to describe how the illness worsened, despite him fighting it with hot toddies, with the occasional day of feeling better.

On the 12th day, Reed writes: “I have never been this ill in my life” and says he felt like he was suffocating, prompting the decision to go to hospital where he was prescribed antibiotics for pneumonia.

'It hit me like a train': First Brit to contract coronavirus describes symptoms

Kind of leaves one hanging as to whether the antibiotics helped...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CAC6968