Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
UK
Devon has emerged as the worst affected area for coronavirus outbreak as the government released the first breakdown by local authority.

Devon and Torbay councils have so far seen a combined total of 18 cases, including one parishioner who tested positive after attending a Holy Communion service at St Mary's Church in Churston Ferrers.

The church has since been closed for a deep clean, and pupils from the nearby Churston Ferrers Grammar School are also now receiving lessons online after a student was diagnosed with coronavirus.

Coronavirus: Devon emerges as disease hotspot as first regional breakdown of cases revealed

But, if we listen to the news, we are encouraged to keep on keeping on, only with clean hands.
I’ve never been paranoid about a virus before, but this feels dif’ to me & I’m trying to exercise caution.
It is kind of hard to think that if I only wash my hands I will safe, when people working with the ill are in bio suits.

Six states have primary elections today: Idaho, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, North Dakota, and Washington. I'm not aware of any special precautions underway in Michigan, but I would like to know what other states are doing.
I heard someone from WA say everyone needs to get out and vote, use wet wipes, trash it immediately, etc.

I was reading the comments under a WISTV Facebook post with the chart of the symptoms of Coronavirus and flu. The comments under the post are the usual - more people die of the flu each year, it is just a cold, the media is hyping up the story for clicks, only those over 60 with other health problems need to worry. It is mind boggling that these people think this is just the flu or the common cold or media hype causing Italy to quarantine the entire country, the stock market is crashing, airlines are cancelling flights, major universities are moving to online schools,etc etc. Mind boggling and infuriating
. Yup, I was following Cynthiana KY FB for Cynthiana Democrat online paper (not a political party, lol). Most are interested in knowing names of those diagnosed. And the “you’ll die of the flu first”, and many simply do not believe CV19 exists.

A friend of ours called from GA last night. Conversation turned to the CV.

He said "Meh, it'll be gone when it gets warmer anyway".

My eyes rolled to the back of my head.

Then he said "Dunno why people are getting so worked up. It's just like getting a cold".

I could barely contain myself.

I tried my best to lay out the facts, but he wasn't having any of it.

That's just about everyone I have talked to and exactly why it will spread!! I cant believe the lack of concern

NEW YORK

#US #NY Nat'l Guard troops deployed to Health Dept command post in #newrochelle as 25 cases of #coronavirus were confirmed overnight.
Most NY 165+ cases of #COVIDー19 are there.
"We're taking more dramatic actions in that cluster," -@NYGovCuomo
National Guard in New Rochelle to assist coronavirus effort

We're taking more dramatic actions in that cluster," Cuomo told CNN on Tuesday morning, without mentioning the troops.

Cuomo on Monday said the "panic that you see, is unwarranted. We have dealt with worse viruses."

The troops are deployed to a Health Department command post where nurses are being outfitted with protective gear before being sent to gather coronavirus samples and to check on those under quarantine at their residence.

COVID19 on Twitter

Students at Harvard are being asked to move out of their dorms by Sunday.

“Harvard College students have been asked to move out of their Houses and First-Year Dorms by Sunday, March 15 in an effort to de-densify our community,” media relations director Rachae Dane said..

All academic courses will continue to be held remotely, she added.

Coronavirus live updates: Death toll passes 4,000 worldwide - CNN

'We're not prepared': coronavirus could devastate homeless communities

With its limited social safety net, the US seems to outside observers to be particularly vulnerable to an outbreak of coronavirus. Sam Levin, one of the Guardian’s US correspondents, has spoken to California’s homeless organisations, which say they lack the resources and government support to stop the spread of infections.

The lack of a coordinated coronavirus strategy for homeless communities could be catastrophic for sick and older people already struggling to survive in tents and overcrowded shelters in California, advocates warned.

Homeless organizations in California, which now has the highest numbers of reported Covid-19 infections along with New York and Washington state, say they lack the resources and government support to effectively stop the virus’ spread in encampments and shelters, and that the shortage of tests and beds could have devastating consequences. California is home to the largest homeless population in the US, with a housing crisis that is already a public health emergency in Los Angeles, the Bay Area and other regions.

“We are not prepared yet for a crisis like this,” said Rev Andy Bales, who runs the Union Rescue Mission (URM) at Skid Row, the epicenter of homelessness in downtown LA. “Individually, we are doing everything we can … but we will be losing precious souls out on the street if we don’t take immediate action.”

I was reading the comments under a WISTV Facebook post with the chart of the symptoms of Coronavirus and flu. The comments under the post are the usual - more people die of the flu each year, it is just a cold, the media is hyping up the story for clicks, only those over 60 with other health problems need to worry. It is mind boggling that these people think this is just the flu or the common cold or media hype causing Italy to quarantine the entire country, the stock market is crashing, airlines are cancelling flights, major universities are moving to online schools,etc etc. Mind boggling and infuriating
I am living with one of those people. Tensions are getting high at home. My DH is almost 76 and has had open heart surgery with 2 valve replacements. He doesn't get sick so he thinks he is invincible. The "stock shock" has shut down his brain. We can only talk a minute and half about CV-19 than there is an argument. The dang bug is in my county as of today. I am trying not to panic and thinking of putting my husband in isolation in the dang basement. Shopping list may include a pad lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ribut1932