Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #102

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this will turn out to be an okay type of variant.
It will whip through the world populations, give us all a milder form of covid, let us (mostly) all recover from that and gain immunity, and then the pandemic will be over. And covid will become endemic instead, like the flu.

Wishful thinking on my part? Yes.

Something has to stop this pandemic. We humans appear to not be doing too good of a job of that. Maybe nature is taking over and trying to rectify the imbalance.

Maybe something like this happened to end the 1918/1919/1920 pandemic.

imo

(Lots of maybes there. o_O )
IDK, it's always okay if other people get it. And there's no reports yet about what happens if, eg, it takes hold in a nursing home or hospital.

IDK, it's always okay if other people get it. And there's no reports yet about what happens if, eg, it takes hold in a nursing home or hospital.

I guess what I am saying is that flu can still be deadly for vulnerable people. And maybe covid will become flu-like. Within the next year or so. Requiring annual boosters for the vulnerable, and others who want the protection.

Maybe Omicron is the pathway to that.

To me and many, it is not okay if other people get it. It is extremely anguishing watching what is happening to the unprotected and vulnerable all around the world.

New York City Sets Vaccine Mandate for Religious and Private School Workers

New York City will require employees at yeshivas, Catholic schools and other private schools to be vaccinated against the coronavirus, as part of the city’s latest push to expand vaccine mandates.

The new directive, which was announced on Thursday, is expected to affect roughly 930 schools and 56,000 employees, city officials said. They will have to show proof they received the first dose of a vaccine by Dec. 20.

New York City Sets Vaccine Mandate for Religious and Private School Workers

I guess what I am saying is that flu can still be deadly for vulnerable people. And maybe covid will become flu-like. Within the next year or so. Requiring annual boosters for the vulnerable, and others who want the protection.

Maybe Omicron is the pathway to that.

To me and many, it is not okay if other people get it. It is extremely anguishing watching what is happening to the unprotected and vulnerable all around the world.
Sorry, I didn't intend to impute coldness to your post. I meant that the reaction of most people will still be to avoid catching it, and most governments will still feel under pressure to prevent the spread, even if allowing it to spread would be the smarter move.

IMO, flu doesn't spread in such a massive way, the unstoppable contagiousness of covid, is what makes it more alarming to people than flu.

JMO

Last edited:
Omicron cases confirmed in 3 U.S. states

In addition to Colorado, the variant has been confirmed in California, and Minnesota.
The Colorado case was found in Arapahoe County woman who traveled throughout southern Africa and returned late last week, per Axios' John Frank.
  • The woman was vaccinated but had not received a booster shot. She also wore a mask in her travels, officials said. She is experiencing mild systems and is quarantining.

• She developed symptoms after returning home and no cases of community transmission are anticipated.

Dozens of young kids got expired doses at COVID vaccine clinic, Maryland officials say

On Nov. 19, the health department received 300 pediatric Pfizer doses. Nearly all of those doses were administered at the Sports and Learning Complex before Nov. 24, and the remaining 70 doses should have been discarded, the release said.

Instead, the doses were mistakenly stored alongside non-expired doses. On Nov. 26, both expired and non-expired doses were administered at the clinic, the release said.

The vaccination vendor at the site of the clinic was retrained on vaccine storage and administrative protocol after the incident. Children can either be revaccinated at one of the special clinics arranged by the health department or at any of the regular clinics within the county, the release said.

I got my Pfizer booster yesterday morning. Only had a slightly sore arm and a migraine last night which may not be related to the shot at all. Makes me feel much more comfortable about my chances of not ending up hospitalized if I some how catch Covid.
Pfizer arm here tonight :D So far nothing else, fingers crossed.

@CrimeAway , it looks like part of Biden’s new measures includes free at-home testing covered by insurance. Iirc, you may have mentioned something about the testing costs.

I welcome that, but where does it leave those without insurance?

It's the same problem with certain preventative care. It is covered under the ACA, but if you don't have insurance, you are out of luck.

Dozens of young kids got expired doses at COVID vaccine clinic, Maryland officials say

On Nov. 19, the health department received 300 pediatric Pfizer doses. Nearly all of those doses were administered at the Sports and Learning Complex before Nov. 24, and the remaining 70 doses should have been discarded, the release said.

Instead, the doses were mistakenly stored alongside non-expired doses. On Nov. 26, both expired and non-expired doses were administered at the clinic, the release said.

The vaccination vendor at the site of the clinic was retrained on vaccine storage and administrative protocol after the incident. Children can either be revaccinated at one of the special clinics arranged by the health department or at any of the regular clinics within the county, the release said.
They are probably safe and would still work IMO. Like food, the use by dates, err on the side of caution. MOO

I welcome that, but where does it leave those without insurance?

It's the same problem with certain preventative care. It is covered under the ACA, but if you don't have insurance, you are out of luck.

From the President's WH Briefing Today:

<snip> BBM

1. Expanding Free At-Home Testing for Americans: Today, the President will announce new steps to ensure that Americans has access to free at-home testing. First, the more than 150 million Americans with private insurance – who now are able to get tests covered in physician offices, pharmacies, and clinics with no cost sharing – will also be able to get at-home tests reimbursed by their insurance. Second, for those not covered by private insurance, in addition to more than 20,000 federally-supported free testing sites across the U.S., at-home tests will be distributed through key community sites, such as health centers and rural clinics. The Biden Administration has taken significant steps to increase testing in the country since January. We are on track to quadruple the supply of rapid at-home tests that we had in late-Summer. Today’s actions will help Americans access the tests they need to help them stop the spread of COVID-19 to others.
<snip> - Expanding community distribution of free at-home tests through neighborhood sites such as health centers and rural clinics: To ensure equitable access to free at-home tests for our uninsured and underserved communities, the President will double the commitment from September to distribute 25 million free tests to community sites to 50 million tests and will add rural clinics to the program. Partnerships with trusted community providers will aid in getting these important testing supplies into the homes of our hardest-hit communities.

President Biden Announces New Actions to Protect Americans Against the Delta and Omicron Variants as We Battle COVID-19 this Winter | The White House

From the President's WH Briefing Today:

<snip> BBM

1. Expanding Free At-Home Testing for Americans: Today, the President will announce new steps to ensure that Americans has access to free at-home testing. First, the more than 150 million Americans with private insurance – who now are able to get tests covered in physician offices, pharmacies, and clinics with no cost sharing – will also be able to get at-home tests reimbursed by their insurance. Second, for those not covered by private insurance, in addition to more than 20,000 federally-supported free testing sites across the U.S., at-home tests will be distributed through key community sites, such as health centers and rural clinics. The Biden Administration has taken significant steps to increase testing in the country since January. We are on track to quadruple the supply of rapid at-home tests that we had in late-Summer. Today’s actions will help Americans access the tests they need to help them stop the spread of COVID-19 to others.
<snip> - Expanding community distribution of free at-home tests through neighborhood sites such as health centers and rural clinics: To ensure equitable access to free at-home tests for our uninsured and underserved communities, the President will double the commitment from September to distribute 25 million free tests to community sites to 50 million tests and will add rural clinics to the program. Partnerships with trusted community providers will aid in getting these important testing supplies into the homes of our hardest-hit communities.

President Biden Announces New Actions to Protect Americans Against the Delta and Omicron Variants as We Battle COVID-19 this Winter | The White House
That sounds better.

This is frightening - 60 out of 120 at the party went home with Covid. Now, it may be milder than original Covid, but is it significantly more transmissible?

Yeah that sounds scary, but from what I read earlier seems quite a few of them had been on that business trip to the company office in South Africa, so might be the case that a load of them came back with it rather than one super spreader passing it on to 60 at the xmas party in Oslo.

New Hampshire topping the charts

COVID-19 cases hit new high in NH
Officials said there were 1,134 new positive test results recorded Wednesday, and the state's seven-day test positivity rate has risen to 13.4%.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, New Hampshire now has the highest seven-day new case rate in the country, with a case rate of 505.4 cases per 100,000. New Hampshire is followed by Michigan, Minnesota, North Dakota and Wisconsin.

Hmm.. Where I live. Our cases have been rising since Thanksgiving too. :(

1st case of omicron variant detected in L.A. County | KTLA

The first detected case of the omicron COVID variant has been detected in Los Angeles County, public health officials announced Thursday.

The individual returned to L.A. County after travel to South Africa via London and the infection is “most likely travel-related,” the Department of Public Health said in a news release.

The infected person, who is a fully vaccinated adult and county resident, is self-isolating, and their symptoms are improving without medical care, according to the department.

A small number of close contacts in L.A. have been identified and, to date, all have tested negative and have no symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teadoughnutsdogbanjo