Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #102

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really feel that if every country had locked down their borders at the start of this and concerned themselves with contact tracing and quarantine for positive tests of their own citizens, we could have stopped it. But many countries refused to do that, because money and trade.

Vietnam’s Evolving Strategy for Surviving COVID-19 • Stimson Center

Vietnam seems to have employed those strategies- which I am sure cut down cases significantly. The above referenced article is from Mar 2020, in the very early stages of the virus.

Covid: World races to contain new Omicron variant

Some 61 people on two KLM flights tested positive for Covid-19 and have been quarantined at a hotel near the airport while they have further tests, Dutch officials said.

Passengers travelling from Cape Town to Manchester via Amsterdam told the BBC that they were held on the tarmac at Schiphol airport for four hours, before eventually disembarking.

The Netherlands is currently struggling with a record-breaking surge in cases. A partial lockdown - involving early closure of bars, restaurants and most shops - comes into force there on Saturday evening.

Covid: World races to contain new Omicron variant

Some 61 people on two KLM flights tested positive for Covid-19 and have been quarantined at a hotel near the airport while they have further tests, Dutch officials said.

Passengers travelling from Cape Town to Manchester via Amsterdam told the BBC that they were held on the tarmac at Schiphol airport for four hours, before eventually disembarking.

The Netherlands is currently struggling with a record-breaking surge in cases. A partial lockdown - involving early closure of bars, restaurants and most shops - comes into force there on Saturday evening.
I read this earlier and was shocked by the 61 positives. Shows the scale of the situation I think. Also, not to be the harbinger of doom but its way too late. 61 there at Amsterdam, how many more already arrived? Buckle up (again).

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but just look around you, does it look like the majority of people here in the US are taking the pandemic seriously? A new variant? why take it any more seriously than they dealing with run of the mill Delta!!!!! If I didn't know there was a pandemic, I wouldn't know there was a pandemic, if you get my drift- parades, football games- malls packed with shoppers, all the while the virus is exploding in some states (like Michigan where I live for example- hospitals are filled to the max)- still many people are not masked up at grocery stores- and life goes on like pre-pandemic times. I just keep SMH cause I just cannot grasp it!- Fauci needs to look around and see reality

I read this earlier and was shocked by the 61 positives. Shows the scale of the situation I think. Also, not to be the harbinger of doom but its way too late. 61 there at Amsterdam, how many more already arrived? Buckle up (again).

I fear you are right. So is it only direct flights that were banned, as opposed to ones with scheduled changes at places like Schipol? I can't see the point of that. And then after 4am tomorrow flights will resume for UK and Irish residents anyway. I'm not sure this is quite enough, but as you say probably too late anyway judging by those numbers.

And it sounds like a lot more will turn positive after those flights-a lot of people were not wearing masks, then they all sat in a poorly ventilated space waiting to get tested.

And it sounds like a lot more will turn positive after those flights-a lot of people were not wearing masks, then they all sat in a poorly ventilated space waiting to get tested.
Exactly. But imagine previous flights too, and all those potentially positive people are now circulating throughout major European cities :(

Exactly. But imagine previous flights too, and all those potentially positive people are now circulating throughout major European cities :(
I doubt US is spared in this. The mutant is most likely here already as well. We weren't stopping flights from South Africa and sound like a larger number of passengers on those flights are infected with covid (most likely the mutant form, I think)

This is what I've been doing since the start and it's helped me so much. I just keep planning ahead for the worst and hoping for the best. I don't want to even think too far ahead with this variant. BUT I'm not only almost done Christmas shopping I've got 95% of it wrapped. And I just keep trying to stay a few months ahead of what we need at all times.

It's mentally wearing at times to do this. But I know I would have been enormously more stressed through all this if I'd not been doing this. I was just talking to my husband last night about this pandemic. Never in my life have I ever had such a sick feeling in my gut, such a strong premonition that this was going to be huge, as when I started following it here. I have not regretted a single bit of planning ahead.

I thank my lucky stars that I started following this thread way back in the beginning. My kids would roll their eyes at me and say, "Yeah, mom, coronavirus...sure, we know" when I was getting extra supplies back in Feb 2020. They sure changed their tunes when we actually had toilet paper and food and didn't have to fight the crowds to get necessities. I remember asking friends if they were preparing and they looked at me like I was nuts. This website saved me a LOT of stress and anxiety by sharing information and being prepared when most people weren't even paying attention. I'll always be grateful to my Websleuths family for that peace of mind and the outlet it provided (and still provides) during this unprecedented (in my time, anyway) event.

Reading articles about this new variant is leading me to believe this is going to be as bad as they think it is, but don't want to say it is yet--- it is a little early to know for sure, but I think they are looking down the road to tweaking the vaccine in case this evil variant evades it. I am wondering though how safe is it to get 4 Covid vaccines in less than a year? I don't get the flu vaccine- never did and probably never will-- I did get Covid vaccine - three shots now- we may need another one to deal with this new variant. Makes me kind of anxious.

Reading articles about this new variant is leading me to believe this is going to be as bad as they think it is, but don't want to say it is yet--- it is a little early to know for sure, but I think they are looking down the road to tweaking the vaccine in case this evil variant evades it. I am wondering though how safe is it to get 4 Covid vaccines in less than a year? I don't get the flu vaccine- never did and probably never will-- I did get Covid vaccine - three shots now- we may need another one to deal with this new variant. Makes me kind of anxious.
I had wondered the same thing when I saw the Pfizer/BioNtech stating they could modify the vaccine within 100 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member