Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #102

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vaccines that protect against infection provide "sterilizing immunity." Here are some links about sterilizing immunity, how it works (I'm still learning the specifics...), and what it means in terms of vaccines and Covid. Obviously, some of the articles are not super current, but I'm sure that the general principles are still relevant:

Coronavirus: few vaccines prevent infection – here's why that's not a problem

Will the COVID-19 Vaccines Provide Sterilizing Immunity?

Neutralizing antibody - Wikipedia

We’re Asking the Impossible of Vaccines

Will the COVID-19 Vaccines Provide Sterilizing Immunity?

I hope that some of these are useful and/or interesting for my friends here.

Last edited:
Bit silly that they’re allowing passengers to fly without a test if they’re double vaxxed. It’s blatantly obvious that vaccines are not 100% effective, and that their efficacy wanes after a few months.
And could very well be that omicron can evade the vaccines. So far it sounds to be highly infectious, potentially able to evade vaccines. So our only hope is that it's less deadly.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/coronavir...ck-before-omicron-travel-ban-goes-into-effect

Most of our international students are not likely to have gone home to South Africa for the Thanksgiving break, but many of them, and faculty from South Africa, were planning to go back to visit family in December during the winter break. Seems the student in this article did go home to SA for the Thanksgiving break, and is now trying to get back to Michigan by Monday, or he won't be able to return for awhile.

The proof of vaccination won't do much good if omicron can easily infect those who are vaccinated (evade the vaccines).

article I originally quoted has a comment that people were not masking as required...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/11/27/amsterdam-omicron-covid-variant-lockdown/

this is supposedly the briefing given by the SA health authorities:

COVID-19 Pandemic | Health Department briefs media on latest developments around COVID-19 - YouTube

it is a few days old, and they say that are still studying the attributes of the virus. SA vax rate is low, BTW.

Apparently the Merck and Pfizer therapeutics (pills) are expected to work against the omicron variant, since the pills work to stop the replication of the virus, they don't target the spike protein (where the mutations are). I read somewhere that the FDA may decide this week on the authorization of these therapeutics - I forget whether it is the Merck or the Pfizer pill they are reviewing this week, but it will be good to have them ready to go, especially if we find out that the vaccines aren't effective against the omicron variant and it takes some time for Pfizer and Moderna to make the new vaccine.

Since the pills are only effective early on when symptoms first begin, it would be good to have rapid tests on hand at home to confirm infections. Some states are giving thest rapid test kits away for free, and can be picked up at your local library or other location. Our public libraries here in Ohio will bring them out to your car if you want them, and you can take them home and have them on hand for future testing. Or you can buy them at Walmart or a local pharmacy, and keep them on hand. I think this might help if you need to get your doctor to call in a prescription for the Merck or Pfizer pills if needed as they become available and if omicron becomes widespread and evades immunity.

Regarding Israel closing their borders... I have become very respectful as to how Israel and it's citizens have been fighting Covid-19. They seem to be of one mind for the most part as to how to fight this
The USA, not so much! :-/"

Dutch authorities said 61 of around 600 people who arrived in Amsterdam on two flights from South Africa on Friday had tested positive for the coronavirus. Health authorities were carrying out further tests to see if those cases involved the new variant. read more

UK, Germany and Italy detect Omicron variant cases, Israel closes borders

@Sundog I just checked Walmart online, and in my area, they list a 2-pack of Binax Now for $14. CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid also had them listed for $23-25. I checked Amazon, but they stated "unavailable."

The FDA has a meeting scheduled Nov 30, to discuss EUA for Merck's Molnupiravir antiviral medication.

November 30, 2021: Antimicrobial Drugs Advisory Committee

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211127-231516.png
    Screenshot_20211127-231516.png
    161.5 KB · Views: 4
TWIV's Dr. Daniel Griffin (MD) Daniel O. Griffin - Wikipedia
has repeatedly emphasized how important it is for high-risk individuals to seek EARLY access to monoclonal antibodies if they have a positive test (and even exposure).

There's some more discussion of the issue on this episode, and mention of Molnupiravir. I like to listen on 1:25, or sometimes 1:50 speed, but the clinical updates are shorter episodes.

Apparently the Merck and Pfizer therapeutics (pills) are expected to work against the omicron variant, since the pills work to stop the replication of the virus, they don't target the spike protein (where the mutations are). I read somewhere that the FDA may decide this week on the authorization of these therapeutics - I forget whether it is the Merck or the Pfizer pill they are reviewing this week, but it will be good to have them ready to go, especially if we find out that the vaccines aren't effective against the omicron variant and it takes some time for Pfizer and Moderna to make the new vaccine.

Since the pills are only effective early on when symptoms first begin, it would be good to have rapid tests on hand at home to confirm infections. Some states are giving thest rapid test kits away for free, and can be picked up at your local library or other location. Our public libraries here in Ohio will bring them out to your car if you want them, and you can take them home and have them on hand for future testing. Or you can buy them at Walmart or a local pharmacy, and keep them on hand. I think this might help if you need to get your doctor to call in a prescription for the Merck or Pfizer pills if needed as they become available and if omicron becomes widespread and evades immunity.

@Sundog I just checked Walmart online, and in my area, they list a 2-pack of Binax Now for $14. CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid also had them listed for $23-25. I checked Amazon, but they stated "unavailable."

The FDA has a meeting scheduled Nov 30, to discuss EUA for Merck's Molnupiravir antiviral medication.

November 30, 2021: Antimicrobial Drugs Advisory Committee

As always, Weblseuthers have the best advice! I went to the Walmart website just now and ordered two BinaxNOW 2-packs and two Intelliswab 2-packs for variety :) ($14 each) to be delivered on Wednesday. Cheap insurance. And we have them on hand if a friend needs to test. Thanks!

ETA: I will take a pack for each of us on our dreaded flight to L.A. Dec. 6 in case we end up catching something.

Omicron is now in Australia

Urgent genomic testing has confirmed two overseas travellers coming into Sydney were infected with the emerging Omicron variant.

“Both passengers came to Sydney from southern Africa on the evening of Saturday November 27. They underwent testing on arrival and tested positive for COVID-19 late last night,” NSW Health said in a statement issued on Sunday evening.

“The two positive cases, who were asymptomatic, are in isolation in the Special Health Accommodation. Both people are fully vaccinated.”

Australia COVID LIVE updates: Omicron variant tested for in Sydney, South Africa returned travellers test positive; NSW COVID cases grow, Victoria COVID cases grow

^ Does Australia still require the hotel quarantine for all incoming travelers, regardless of having been vaccinated, including returning residents?
Hope so.
Australian friend of mine who lives both in Paris and the Gold Coast depending upon time of year, was required to quarantine 2 weeks in a hotel in Brisbane on arrival. She was vaccinated. Even her food was left outside her door. She could not come face to face with ANYONE.

eta...should have read the article.
I guess not, unless it still applies in Qld.

"Starting on Sunday, travellers coming into NSW and Victoria are required to get tested and isolate at home for 72 hours."

^ Does Australia still require the hotel quarantine for all incoming travelers, regardless of having been vaccinated, including returning residents?
Hope so.
Australian friend of mine who lives both in Paris and the Gold Coast depending upon time of year, was required to quarantine 2 weeks in a hotel in Brisbane on arrival. She was vaccinated. Even her food was left outside her door. She could not come face to face with ANYONE.

eta...should have read the article.
I guess not, unless it still applies in Qld.

"Starting on Sunday, travellers coming into NSW and Victoria are required to get tested and isolate at home for 72 hours."

It does depend on each state. I live in Queensland and they are currently still needing to quarantine. But i do know recently some other states have implemented the 72 hour quarantine due to the risk of Omicron.

I have had friends who have wanted to come up to Qld from Sydney and have had to be put in quarantine for 14 days. I am glad it has been strict as i have a chronically ill 4 year old who cannot have the vaccine so we have been feeling very safe here while the borders are closed. I do believe everything is opening back up on the 17th of December, which is worrying particularly now with Omicron.

Okay, so if this is true, Omicron might well be spreading like wildfire, but it may not be as dangerous as other variants.

"Symptoms included people from different ethnic backgrounds suffering from intense fatigue and a six-year-old child who had a high pulse rate, although none lost their sense of taste or smell.

Dr. Coetzee told the publication: "Their symptoms were so different and so mild from those I had treated before."

The doctor, who chairs the South African Medical Association as well as running her office, said she informed the vaccine advisory committee after four family members tested positive for COVID-19 on November 18.

They complained of feeling exhausted and later tested her patients, about two dozen of whom tested positive for COVID while showing symptoms associated with the new variant.

According to the doctor, mostly healthy men turned up "feeling so tired," about half of whom were unvaccinated."
Doctor who first raised concern over Omicron variant says symptoms are "mild"

I've read here about crowded stores, no masks, etc. - don't you have "rules" when out shopping?
Like here in Riga, Latvia - when you enter a mall - there are security people that check to see if you have a vaccine certification & your ID & are wearing a mask. If you don't have any of those - you don't get in. Also they have a limit of how many people can enter the store. You have to get a shopping cart or basket when you enter. If there are none at the entrance - you have to wait until someone comes out.

I guess in my country people are following the "rules". I did see a couple come in last week to the grocery store - and got kicked out because they refused to wear masks...

Countries CLOSE borders amid Omircon crisis | Daily Mail Online

Christmas getaways to Europe have been plunged into crisis after Switzerland announced it has banned all Britons with immediate effect amid concerns of the rising cases of the Covid super-mutant Omicron.

Switzerland has said that only Swiss nationals and permanent residents can enter, but a pre-departure negative test must be proven alongside a 10-day mandatory quarantine.

Israel shut its borders to all foreigners and brought back phone-tracking late on Saturday in a bid to crack down on the rising cases.

This news comes as tough new border restrictions in Spain will also require Brits to be fully-vaccinated to enter the country.

I've read here about crowded stores, no masks, etc. - don't you have "rules" when out shopping?
Like here in Riga, Latvia - when you enter a mall - there are security people that check to see if you have a vaccine certification & your ID & are wearing a mask. If you don't have any of those - you don't get in. Also they have a limit of how many people can enter the store. You have to get a shopping cart or basket when you enter. If there are none at the entrance - you have to wait until someone comes out.

I guess in my country people are following the "rules". I did see a couple come in last week to the grocery store - and got kicked out because they refused to wear masks...

Those types of rules and restrictions were in place during the early months of the pandemic. States started "opening up" as businesses suffered and/or closed. People did not want to live with continuous lockdowns, mask mandates/social distancing, and the economy needed to get back on track. After months of being "back to normal" in most parts of the country, I don't know how a fresh set of Covid protocols will work. Most folks don't like having to give up their freedom and liberty and be told what they can and can't do in their personal lives. I cringe just thinking about what it will be like if new lockdowns are imposed. I see storms on the horizon, and I'm not talking about snow. JMO

Those types of rules and restrictions were in place during the early months of the pandemic. States started "opening up" as businesses suffered and/or closed. People did not want to live with continuous lockdowns, mask mandates/social distancing, and the economy needed to get back on track. After months of being "back to normal" in most parts of the country, I don't know how a fresh set of Covid protocols will work. Most folks don't like having to give up their freedom and liberty and be told what they can and can't do in their personal lives. I cringe just thinking about what it will be like if new lockdowns are imposed. I see storms on the horizon, and I'm not talking about snow. JMO

I guess the people here - the "older" ones are used to following rules - being under the rule of Soviet Russia. But the young people here also continue to wear masks & I've seen little kids - approx age about 10 to 12 having masks on.
There was a protest re vaccinations & all covid related stuff -

I see that as of 11/11 our population is 75% vaccinated. I'm getting my booster in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rwiz