Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #103

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All I know is if they try to kick me out sooner than I’m ready to go, I’ll tell them. I refuse to give up my bed after major surgery to give it to an unvaccinated person who put other people in danger as well as themselves.
I'm scheduled for surgery too. Date is Feb 1 for hysterectomy and pelvic reconstruction. Our hospitals are now full because of recent COVID surge. Surgeon told me my surgery might have to be postponed due to COVID admissions. Hang in there @BeckyF and once you get your hospital bed, do whatever is necessary to hang on to it! Wishing you the best.

My daughter, in college, had her college year upended last year, this year it is just as messed up.

I talked to her, and some of her friends last week. Dating is more complicated, work, school, family issues. It seems like most of them just feel confused, depressed. My daughter is taking anti-depressants, going to counseling.

As messed up as some people's lives are, it seems like teens, and early 20's are more affected by Covid.

"Depression rates more than three times higher due to COVID-19 pandemic" Depression rates more than three times higher due to COVID-19 pandemic

Quote:

"Depression rates more than three times higher due to COVID-19 pandemic"

CDC report shows suicide attempts up 50% among teenage girls

The CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality report looked into emergency department visits for suspected suicide attempts among people 12-25-years-old from January 2019 to May 2021. It revealed a 50.6 percent increase in girls aged 12-17 compared to 2019.

“I knew that there was an increase in thoughts about suicide, but I did not realize how much,” said Dr. Veronica Raney, a child and adolescent psychiatrist at UAMS. “It was very troubling.”

Last edited:
A boosted Senator Warren tested positive...

Elizabeth Warren
@SenWarren

·
18m

I regularly test for COVID & while I tested negative earlier this week, today I tested positive with a breakthrough case. Thankfully, I am only experiencing mild symptoms & am grateful for the protection provided against serious illness that comes from being vaccinated & boosted.

I'm scheduled for surgery too. Date is Feb 1 for hysterectomy and pelvic reconstruction. Our hospitals are now full because of recent COVID surge. Surgeon told me my surgery might have to be postponed due to COVID admissions. Hang in there @BeckyF and once you get your hospital bed, do whatever is necessary to hang on to it! Wishing you the best.
Thank You so much! I wish you the best also! I sent my doctor a message yesterday asking for some reassurance that my surgery won’t be postponed. I know they can’t guarantee anything but they can’t blame me for being anxious.

Earlier in the week, my wife and I could not attend our oldest daughter’s holiday performance at school because no guests were allowed. This is the absurdity of today’s COVID-19 theater.

They would be puzzled to hear how my daughter’s cafeteria has rows of TV trays set up next to tables so students all face one direction at lunch. I've seen it myself. Because school administrators apparently know a secret about air circulation.

Sbm

Re-reading this article about “draconian” laws and “Covid-19 theater,” I’m getting frustrated all over again.

I know this father loves his children, but really IMO he’s putting their comfort ahead of their safety, as well as the safety of the rest of the community.

What if he and his wife could not attend their daughter’s performance, not because guests aren’t allowed, but because the parents were in the ICU, or dead? This pandemic has orphaned so many children around the world.

Also, I take issue with his smarmy remark about “school administrators apparently know a secret about air circulation.”

Educators have twisted themselves into knots trying to keep children safe while still educating them. In the cafeteria, where he bemoans that the children have to face one direction, he should understand that this is a socially undesirable but currently necessary safety precaution.

Children have to remove their masks to eat. It is for their own health that they are not chewing and breathing directly into each other’s faces at a table.

I imagine this father insists that his kids wear seatbelts, bike helmets, life jackets on a boat, safety bars on an amusement ride and so on. When I was a kid we climbed around the back seats in the car, and especially in a station wagon, happily sat at the back window to wave at cars behind us.

By the time I was 24 and a new mother, these rules were changing. By the time I was 47 and a new grandmother, these previous behaviors were unthinkable.

Imo if this father took a different tactic and explained to his kids how wonderful it is that their safety is foremost, they’d have a good understanding as to why things have become uncomfortable but necessary. Like all other things that keep us safe.

JMO

Sbm

Re-reading this article about “draconian” laws and “Covid-19 theater,” I’m getting frustrated all over again.

I know this father loves his children, but really IMO he’s putting their comfort ahead of their safety, as well as the safety of the rest of the community.

What if he and his wife could not attend their daughter’s performance, not because guests aren’t allowed, but because the parents were in the ICU, or dead? This pandemic has orphaned so many children around the world.

Also, I take issue with his smarmy remark about “school administrators apparently know a secret about air circulation.”

Educators have twisted themselves into knots trying to keep children safe while still educating them. In the cafeteria, where he bemoans that the children have to face one direction, he should understand that this is a socially undesirable but currently necessary safety precaution.

Children have to remove their masks to eat. It is for their own health that they are not chewing and breathing directly into each other’s faces at a table.

I imagine this father insists that his kids wear seatbelts, bike helmets, life jackets on a boat, safety bars on an amusement ride and so on. When I was a kid we climbed around the back seats in the car, and especially in a station wagon, happily sat at the back window to wave at cars behind us.

By the time I was 24 and a new mother, these rules were changing. By the time I was 47 and a new grandmother, these previous behaviors were unthinkable.

Imo if this father took a different tactic and explained to his kids how wonderful it is that their safety is foremost, they’d have a good understanding as to why things have become uncomfortable but necessary. Like all other things that keep us safe.

JMO

I think it boils down to this:

"Families in school districts that have thankfully ignored the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and teacher unions would share condolences with my first grader who has never experienced a normal day of school."

Father wants his kid to experience school the way it was -what he considers normal - but he doesn't understand this IS the new normal.

Just go with it.

Queen's Brian May issues vaccine plea, reveals COVID diagnosis

May, 74, said he and his wife, Anita Dobson, had been “incredibly careful” and had been acting “very hermit-like” throughout the pandemic, but decided to go out to a birthday lunch for a friend earlier this month where all guests provided negative COVID-19 tests.

“It seemed like you were in a safe situation. You have your negative tests… What could possibly go wrong? We thought were in a safe bubble so we didn’t wear masks,” May said in a video posted to Instagram on Saturday.

Brian May is triple vaxxed.

Last edited:
I think it boils down to this:

"Families in school districts that have thankfully ignored the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and teacher unions would share condolences with my first grader who has never experienced a normal day of school."

Father wants his kid to experience school the way it was -what he considers normal - but he doesn't understand this IS the new normal.

Just go with it.

Agreed.

I'm not sure about the laws in Virginia, but here in NY a first-grader would still be in a car seat. Here car seats are mandated until a child is eight, and first-graders are typically around six years old. It's likely that there are laws about this in Virginia, although I haven't looked it up.

When my 40-year old daughter was little, the law here was car seats until four. With all three of my grandchildren it has been eight, and that is very, very difficult, because we have at least two at a time in car seats and that leaves no room in the car for everyone.

So in other words, my grandchildren have never experienced a "normal" car ride like I had as a kid. Free and unfettered. Carried in our mother's arms when we were infants who couldn't sit up yet.

Clearly I didn't perish because I wasn't in a car seat, nor even a seatbelt. That doesn't mean other kids didn't die and that it hasn't been proven to save lives.

I say all that to say all this---masks. Social distance. Vaccines. Boosters. All proven to save lives. Comfort can come after we first save our lives.

IMO, my very concerted opinion, this father should, as you said, just go with it. There's a pandemic that didn't exist two years ago. We have to adapt.

Elizabeth Warren, 72, contracts COVID as Omicron variant surges | Daily Mail Online

Vaccinated AND boosted Senator Elizabeth Warren, 72, contracts COVID 18 months after her brother died of coronavirus

Warren's brother Don Reed Herring previously died last year after he had contracted the virus at the age of 86.

Herring, who served in the United States Air Force for 20 years, died on April 21, 2020 after contracting coronavirus in an inpatient rehabilitation facility in Oklahoma where he was recovering from pneumonia.

‘SNL’ COVID-19 outbreak cancels live audience: ‘Everyone is fearful’

A set insider has revealed that “four actors” have tested positive for the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 — and “three others” will be absent because they are now “fearful” about coming to NBC Studios at 30 Rockefeller Center, where the weekly sketch show is filmed in Midtown.
I watched SNL last night and while I applaude they did the right thing (MOO) as far as no audience after several cast members tested positive, I could not help feeling really sad.

Former U.S. Representative Katie Hill Diagnosed with COVID-19 While Nearly 8 Months Pregnant: 'Stay Safe' — People

“On Saturday, the 34-year-old former U.S. Representative announced in a social media statement that she has contracted the coronavirus despite taking proper precautions.

"I'm boosted and got COVID and am now quarantined for Christmas while almost 8 months pregnant," Hill said in a tweet.

"Though my symptoms are mild I really wish I'd cancelled my plans for the couple weeks before this," she added. "So stay safe out there, folks.”
——-
Define “proper precautions”.

“I really wish I’d cancelled my plan for the couple of weeks before this”
——-

“In a follow-up tweet, Hill responded to a commenter who asked if she had stopped wearing masks after she received her COVID booster shot. "How do you allow yourself to contract Covid while being pregnant?" the person asked.

In response, Hill tweeted back that she "Never stopped wearing masks."
——
Boostered and wore masks.
How the heck did she get it?!

That’s scary for those of us working out in the field and around people. I can’t go an entire year without pay again. It’s depressing to contemplate 2022....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm