Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #106

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So this is happening in Ireland tomorrow. Yikes. Somewhat out of the blue but it has the backing of our Chief Medical Officer and his team of public health experts. Ireland has been one of the strictest countries with regard to Covid mitigation measures since March 2020 so all this will take some getting used to...

Covid restrictions Ireland: Majority of Covid restrictions to be removed from 6am tomorrow

THE majority of Covid-19 public health restrictions will be removed from 6am on Saturday under proposals to be agreed by Cabinet this afternoon.

This includes limits on household visits, early closing time for hospitality and events, capacity restrictions for indoor and outdoor events including weddings, social distancing, the rule-of-six at a table, the Covid pass system and the requirement to maintain contact details for close contact tracing.

Distancing between tables in hospitality venues, table service-only will also be removed while nightclubs will be allowed to reopen.

From Monday, businesses can begin a phased return to the workplace depending on the circumstances of the workplace and in consultation with employees.

Masks in all setting where they are currently regulated including retail outlets and public transport will be retained until February 28 as will the protective measures in schools and childcare facilities.

(More at link)

Sadly, you can’t just wish away a pandemic, no matter how hard you try. All these countries ending restrictions...there is absolutely no way this can end well.

Last edited:
Sadly, you can’t just wish away a pandemic, no matter how hard you try. There is absolutely no way this can end well.
I know. I am nervous about this. I hope it isn't a total disaster! Government have said they will reintroduce restrictions if hospital numbers become too high or a new variant comes along. We'll see what happens!

Because I have. asthma I have used a steroid inhaler for 35 years. I take Flovent
which is the brand name for fluticasone. I have often wondered during this pandemic if steroid inhalers provide some protection of the !ungs against Covid.

just realized my inhaler also is fluticasone... Trelegy.... Yes lets try to find out if they help against Covid!! When I felt I had all the symptoms of Omicron, I never had a cough! Maybe the steroid inhaler..
moo

Very informative! It's a long interview, but if you can hang in there, she provides some very detailed information on "all things covid" and explains things very well. It starts off slow, but doesn't take long for her to answer some great questions.

For example, someone asks her what it means that covid-19 will become endemic. She gives the example of how lime disease is endemic in NJ where she lives. She does say, however, that we need to protect people who are immunocompromised before we get to the endemic stage, and we're not there yet.

She is good at explaining concepts for non-scientists, and is very engaging.
Thanks for your review!

I know. I am nervous about this. I hope it isn't a total disaster! Government have said they will reintroduce restrictions if hospital numbers become too high or a new variant comes along. We'll see what happens!

It looks like the UK is first to move toward managing covid-19 as we get closer to the endemic stage. Those of us here in the US are about 4-6 weeks behind the UK, I think, in terms of the shift from delta to the omicron surge. I suspect that we will be following suit by spring, if not before, unless - as you say - a new variant that is more deadly comes along. At least we have the advantage of knowing it's coming soon, while, unfortunately, your notice is quite sudden.

It looks like the UK is first to move toward managing covid-19 as we get closer to the endemic stage. Those of us here in the US are about 4-6 weeks behind the UK, I think, in terms of the shift from delta to the omicron surge. I suspect that we will be following suit by spring, if not before, unless - as you say - a new variant that is more deadly comes along. At least we have the advantage of knowing it's coming soon, while, unfortunately, your notice is quite sudden.
As far as following suit by spring, I live in Michigan. As far as I know we are not under any restrictions or mandates. Everything is open without capacity limits or masks required via government mandates. Maybe other parts of the country are different. Nothing much will change here in Michigan, though.

As far as following suit by spring, I live in Michigan. As far as I know we are not under any restrictions or mandates. Everything is open without capacity limits or masks required via government mandates. Maybe other parts of the country are different. Nothing much will change here in Michigan, though.

Similar here in Ohio, although our colleges and universities are still under the mask mandate for students, faculty, and staff - and in some school districts. But at the level of population health, I think the CDC is moving toward the stage where at the national level they will be managing toward the endemic, which they seem to have already started with the new quarantine and isolation guidelines.

Similar here in Ohio, although our colleges and universities are still under the mask mandate for students, faculty, and staff - and in some school districts. But at the level of population health, I think the CDC is moving toward the stage where at the national level they will be managing toward the endemic, which they seem to have already started with the new quarantine and isolation guidelines.
That makes sense! More of a shift on a larger level. I agree.

I think that they are trying to use one test for multiple people.
I have seen in animal shelter medicine, where 2 animals' blood samples were combined for FeLv/FIV testing to save resources. The disease prevalence was low, and obviously, if there was a positive result, 2 additional, separate tests would be run for each of those animals. Not ideal, but when you have a lack of money, and many animals in need, sometimes people do the best they can with what they have.

there are lots of lab samples you can "aggregate" to save time and $ but with this family, they are using the same swab and possibly infecting each other so...... not really the same as just sending mixed materials off to a lab.

Covid antibody treatments that don't work against omicron still being used in some states. (nbcnews.com)

Use of newly ineffective antibody therapies that don't work against the omicron variant is highest in a dozen states.

As the omicron variant completes its sweep across the U.S., states with scarce supplies of monoclonal antibody therapies continue to use two treatments that federal health officials warn no longer work against the highly contagious version of the virus that causes Covid-19. The antibody treatment now most recommended is sotrovimab from GlaxoSmithKline and Vir Biotechnology, and it’s in short supply.

...They include several Southern states with some of the nation’s lowest vaccination rates, but also California, which ranks in the nation’s top 20 for fully vaccinated residents, a KHN analysis of federal data shows. Many hospitals and clinics are still infusing the costly treatments — often charging hundreds of dollars a session — that public health officials now say are almost certainly useless...

are they actually identifying what variant people have so that they can use (if available!) an effective treatment?

With restrictions being lifted all over by bureaucrats, is there something that they know, that the general public does not know yet? AKA: This virus is not that deadly?
Or, are their economy's in such a bad state that they HAVE to do this?
I am guessing the latter.

We went to a popular oceanside venue yesterday (here in Australia) and we were commenting on how quiet it is for the middle of summer.

We have noticed how the small businesses are struggling .... now that we have ended many restrictions.
They were doing just fine (holding steady) when we were under heavier restrictions and people were not afraid to go for dinner, for icecream, to a movie, for a holiday.

I truly question how much it helps the economy when we don't protect the citizens (or protect them far less) from the virus with more sweeping simple 'restrictions'.

All that I can see that has happened from easing up on our restrictions is that people are 'self-locking down' to protect themselves and their families.
My DD and her hubby have already cancelled two interstate trips due to the spread of the virus, ones they would have gone on if they still felt protected by the restrictions.

imo

We went to a popular oceanside venue yesterday (here in Australia) and we were commenting on how quiet it is for the middle of summer.

We have noticed how the small businesses are struggling .... now that we have ended many restrictions.
They were doing just fine (holding steady) when we were under heavier restrictions and people were not afraid to go for dinner, for icecream, to a movie, for a holiday.

I truly question how much it helps the economy when we don't protect the citizens (or protect them far less) from the virus with more sweeping simple 'restrictions'.

All that I can see that has happened from easing up on our restrictions is that people are 'self-locking down' to protect themselves and their families.
My DD and her hubby have already cancelled two interstate trips due to the spread of the virus, ones they would have gone on if they still felt protected by the restrictions.

imo

How interesting! Your DD/SIL's choices make sense to me.

just realized my inhaler also is fluticasone... Trelegy.... Yes lets try to find out if they help against Covid!! When I felt I had all the symptoms of Omicron, I never had a cough! Maybe the steroid inhaler..
moo

It will be interesting to find out the results of this study--I tend to think inhaled steroids into the lungs would provide some degree of protection but we shall see!

Even though I don't post often here, I always follow. Just thought I'd share my personal Covid experience with you FWIW:

My husband and me are both vaccinated and boosted even though we're not 65 but were being super cautious. Neither of us have any comorbidities, enjoy good health and have always practiced safe masking and social distancing from the beginning.

My brother-in-law died the day after Christmas, so my husband flew to the funeral. I had my family at my house for holidays. He got back New Years Eve and we both started feeling icky, scratchy throat, headache, sinus drainage and cough. Never even considered having Covid. It got worse, we tested positive on Jan. 3. We were in phone contact with our Doctors . Received antibiotics, steroids and cough syrup with codeine.

It got so horrible. I'm not saying this to scare anyone, but I honestly thought I might die at one point. I could not breathe. We were sick for 10 plus days. Covid brain is a real thing, I couldn't even read home test instructions.

Almost 3 weeks later, I am still coughing deep down in chest. I am super lethargic, get winded easily. Hubs is doing better than me. I can't even imagine what would have happened if we had not been vaccinated. I now understand how so many people have died; it really ravages your respiratory system. I did see the Dr. in person on Wednesday. He said I could have these symptoms for a while even though I'm not testing positive or contagious anymore.

Please everyone, keep your guard up. Being vaxed doesn't make you immune, but it could very well save your life.

There are Pfizer pills that are supposed to be 90% effective in keeping high risk individuals from dying. There are also monoclonal antibodies that still work. But they are in short supply. As far as I am concerned, all high risk individuals should try to get Pfizer pills or monoclonal antibodies as soon as possible even if initial symptoms appear to be mild. Vaxxed and boosted high risk individuals shouldn't assume the symptoms will remain mild.

There are Pfizer pills that are supposed to be 90% effective in keeping high risk individuals from dying. There are also monoclonal antibodies that still work. But they are in short supply. As far as I am concerned, all high risk individuals should try to get Pfizer pills or monoclonal antibodies as soon as possible even if initial symptoms appear to be mild. Vaxxed and boosted high risk individuals shouldn't assume the symptoms will remain mild.
Are there concerning side effects with the Pfizer pill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper